Hello. I'm Fine, Thanks

Hello. I've come to this forum through kind of a side road. I have been following a blog called "Man Vs. Debt" for quite a while and got pretty excited when I found there was a movie called "I'm Fine, Thanks" coming out by the people behind the blog. The movie is all about chasing the dreams you're passionate about instead of the American Dream of acquiring more stuff.

This movie pretty prominently featured Steve Kamb, creator of Nerd Fitness. I've been reading the site like crazy for the last couple days and decided I'd hop onboard to see how things go.

I'm a 33 year old computer programmer. I've got just enough weight to cause health issues - namely sleep apnea. Sitting in front of a computer and chugging caffeine all day sure doesn't help either. I've got two little girls (a three and one year old) so finding time to work out and cook or eat out is a bit of a challenge. I've been trying to find the best way to fit working out and eating healthy into my life.

This looks like a fantastic idea. I especially like the idea I've seen on this site about achievements and leveling up my life. I've been gaming since I was four or five. I know I've played some games faaaaaar longer than I should trying to hit some achievements in the game, so I think that if I was trying to hit achievements in my life, that would make a huge difference.

I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area. I live in the South end of town, but work in the North end of town. Anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area that would be up for meeting up?

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

supenguin, level 1 Wood elf scout

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

[/TABLE]

Welcome. I know the NF crowd are working on a fitness MMO or similar rising-heroes but I don't know what state that is in (I meant to sign up and blinked and missed my chance ...) while you're waiting for that have you thought about fitocracy or similar? I can ping you an invite if required. Nerd fitness place also has challenges with stats and weekly goals (& one has just started, so now is a good time to get into it)

Both this site and marks daily apple (which was what got me here in the first place) are good resources; I find the MDA stuff initially easier to take on board but once I got into it this place just resonated more (IMHO, YMMV etc.).

I appreciate that's 2 recommendations for other sites to join/look at in a welcome post but don't get the wrong idea, I find this one the *most* useful, it's just I have similar goals and found/still find the other two *also* useful.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

There are two big goals I'm working on right now. I used to have a bunch but I find any more than three and I pretty much get zero progress...

First one - I want to be able to get a good nights sleep without the blasted CPAP. The extra weight I'm carrying around plus the sleep apnea just sap any energy I have. Progress on that - I've been able to on and off get through most of the Couch To 5k program. I've been able to get up to about a 10 min run, followed by 2 min walk and then repeat until I've got about 5K in. Some guys at work said that they are going to sign me up for the next 5K or 10K they can find in our area after Thanksgiving.

Second - I've been wanting to get into doing some kind of programming work that matters outside my day job. I've currently got two things going there - I participate in an event called GiveCamp whenever I get a chance. It is 3 days of programmers helping charities build programs they need. This usually ends up being setting up some kind of blog or content management system. I'm also helping out a missionary from our church with an app for helping train other missionaries.

I figure if I can exercise (mostly find an exercise routine I enjoy and fit into my schedule) and eat right I'll have so much more energy for the other goals in my life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

This brings up two questions I have - I've heard great things about Cross Fit and the Paleo diet - either together or individually.

Cross Fit sounds like something you'd need to be in pretty good shape to do and Paleo - not sure if I could stick with it long term. Any experience, ideas, advice on these two?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[/TABLE]

Paleo I find easier to stick to than anything else I've tried although I've been backsliding a bit recently. Best thing to do is give it a go since it suits some people (I've lost 60lb+ on it) whereas my brother for example tried it for a couple of weeks then had to stop due to it really not working out for him.

Crossfit I can't really comment on. My trainer has brought elements of it into the routine he has me on with factors such as (advanced) age and (not advanced) fitness level taken into account. Trying to keep up with some of the workouts posted on YouTube would almost certainly kill me but there has to be an on ramp for this stuff or they'd never have got the following they have...

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area. I live in the South end of town, but work in the North end of town. Anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area that would be up for meeting up?

!!!

I will be in a couple weeks! There's a cool climbing gym in the North end (which I live close to) called Vertical Adventures. You'd have to get a belay lesson, but I would love to have a climbing partner for once. The auto-belay courses are only fun for so long, and I'm not good enough for the bouldering wall yet. Well, that's one idea. There's plenty of cool fitness stuff to do around C-bus. Yoga studios, martial arts dojos, gyms, playgrounds, random objects of particular sizes and compositions...you get the idea.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

I am just the opposite of what Mal posted, I do not have any experience with Paleo (yet) and have done a little crossfit. I am personally not a fan, however like your eating plan, go with what works with you. If you do get into crossfit, I do suggest finding someone with experience and crossfit training past level 1. (Level 1 is just a class and a test, you do not need any experience.)

It looks like you already have a solid start, congrats! I am looking forward to hearing more of your adventure!

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook