DangerDave ventures beyond The Wall...

DangerDave

Previous Challenge

DangerDave is back, and his adventure is taking him beyond The Wall. He must overcome the unfamiliar territory, a magical temporal flux, a heavy pack, and find himself and his destination on the map somebody drunkenly scrawled on his shirt.

Unfamiliar Territory. +2 STR +2 STA +1 DEX

Evaluate the Big But Boring (BBB) variant of the 5/3/1 program. I've been doing a fairly loose SL 5x5 for the last 3 months, and feel like I should try something new for a while. I'm not as excited that it splits the lifts up through the week, but the assistance exercises will be nice additions to my skill sets. I'll do the first 3-4 weeks, and then re-assess with the possibility of going back to 5x5 on some lifts.

Starting calculated 1RMs:

Bench - 5x130 = 154

Squat - 5x165 = 192

DL - 3x235 = 276

OHP - 5x85 = 101

Temporal Flux. +2 STR +2 STA

Hit the 4 lifting sessions every week on my new schedule. This is a repeat of last challenge, and I scraped by on technicalities. This time my schedule is completely changed around (MWSat -> MTuThSat) so this will be an attempt to set the new schedule (get to work out with the GF more often) and follow through on it. Bonus points if I get any extra workouts in around those 4.

Reduce My Load. +1 CON +1 CHA

Weigh less at the end than at the start of this challenge. I'm not planning on worrying about diet, I know things will get bad during the holidays. If I can make (mostly) healthy decisions without thinking about it and maintain or maybe lose, then I'll be where I need to be. The largest detractor here is my workout routine change, I won't be burning as much during the sessions, but I'll be doing more sessions. This is a pass/fail.

Monday morning weight is 172.4 (lowest in a while).

Study The Map. +3 WIS +1 CHA

I'm going to be teaching a new (for me) class next semester, online. This goal will involve getting everything set and typed out well in advance of the Spring semester. Full credit will involve getting 10 of 11 chapters prepped (projects selected, test questions picked out, or completely tossing a chapter due to irrelevance), losing 10% for each chapter not completed.

/who DangerDavePlayers in NerdFitness:---------------------[3 Warrior] DangerDave (ThreeQuarterLing) ZONE: 5-3-1 BarbellsThere is 1 player in NerdFitness.current challengefitocracySTR 10 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 4 | CHA 5These quest things are a bitch. Lionel Fenn

Monday - OHP

Had the day off due to my birthday (hit a fresh decade on the 11th) so it was a leisurely midday workout in a relatively empty gym. Next Monday I'll have to move things to after work so the GF can be involved, too.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

55 lb x 3 reps

60 lb x 5 reps

70 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 13 reps I may have taken the + a little too far...

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

Day 1 of BBB 5/3/1.

Sets 1-3 warmup

4-6 531 week 1

7-11 accessory

Chin-Up:

4 reps

4 reps

4 reps

3 reps

3 reps

3 reps

First real attempt at chin-ups in ~10 years, surprised I did so well. It's significantly less than the 5x10 called for, but it's better than my previous record of 0x0.

The GF had a hard time with Negatives even, so we had her do underhand grip Lat Pulldowns at ~40% BW. Would an inverted row be better for her next time? It's assistance work so not a top priority, but don't want her doing something completely wrong as a substitute.

/who DangerDavePlayers in NerdFitness:---------------------[3 Warrior] DangerDave (ThreeQuarterLing) ZONE: 5-3-1 BarbellsThere is 1 player in NerdFitness.current challengefitocracySTR 10 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 6 | WIS 4 | CHA 5These quest things are a bitch. Lionel Fenn

Tuesday - DL

This was my first time lifting after work, all previous sessions had been at lunch or on weekends. The weight room was fairly full and super brotastic, but the half rack was open so we set up camp there for the night. I'm not looking forward to Thursday night when I'll have to commandeer the only bench press in the place, or steal the power rack for it. The bros will have to settle for incline and decline.

Barbell Deadlift:

100 lb x 5 reps

125 lb x 5 reps

150 lb x 3 reps

160 lb x 5 reps

185 lb x 5 reps

210 lb x 6 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

This was my first time doing more than 20 deadlifts in a session, so my hands and forearms were screaming at me by the end. The starting blisters last night have turned into calluses that shouldn't be as bad next time. I also ordered an eco-ball that I should be able to sneak into the gym (stupid no chalk rules).

Dip Station Straight Leg Raise:

10 reps

10 reps

10 reps

10 reps

15 reps

These were supposed to be hanging, but my hands didn't want to think about holding onto a bar after being destroyed by the barbell. It did bring back memories of playing on the jungle gym so much that I would get blisters on my hands.

Thursday - Bench

Everything seemed too light (except for the rows, they were right on at 40), luckily next week things will get heavier. The gym wasn't as busy as I thought and the bench opened up right as we got there, though it may have been because the staff was vacuuming in there for a good 45m, and it's only a ~1000 sqft room.

Barbell Bench Press:

55 lb x 5 reps

70 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 3 reps

90 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 5 reps

120 lb x 12 reps Got a little carried away with the + again...

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

Week 1 of the Bench Press

sets 1-3 warmup

4-6 531

7-11 assistance

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

35 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

On another note, I'm in a small weight loss competition at work (6 people participating, I'm only in it to participate and not trying very hard) and won this week with a 1.6# loss from last week. I'll report a more official weight for this challenge on Monday.

Nice workout :)

Thanks!

Some stuffs:

Saturday - Squats

These always take everything out of me. I could really tell that it had been a week since my last squat workout, that is probably the biggest thing I've noticed so far on this program. Other than that, week 1 is complete! I'll summarize the week in a followup post.

Barbell Squat:

70 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 3 reps

110 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

145 lb x 7 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

Seated Leg Curl:

50 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

This was my first time on a machine (besides some trainer induced cable work) since I joined this gym in August. It felt weird, but I wasn't able to do a glute/ham raise so I went with this. Next time I might just try to use a dumbell.

Week 1 Review

Unfamiliar Territory - Work through BBB 5/3/1

Week 1 is complete, all 4 lifts have been documented, and I can take a look at where I am for the "5" portion. I'm hitting the reps on all lifts, and judging from the "5+" sets, my arm lifts are significantly below my potential (12-13) and my leg lifts are right in line with it (6-7). This could be normal since I'm still relatively new to lifting, but doing double+ the listed reps seems a bit high. We'll see where this next week takes me and how rough the "3" week will end up being.

Temporal Flux - New workout schedule

Hit all the workouts easily, it helped with no work on Monday.

Reduce My Load - Weigh less at the end than at the start

Starting weight: 172.4

Monday morning weight: 172.0

Net Loss/Gain: -0.4

I'm down a little, but not a lot. The low point this week was 170.4, but due to normal weight fluctuation I'm going to stick with Monday mornings as the official. Plus I usually eat worse on the weekends, so this should give me some incentive to watch my eating. It didn't help that last night I was still hungry after going through a 1lb bag of sugar snap peas trying to curb my appetite after dinner. I was eating them like french fries, which I've been mostly avoiding for the past few months.

Study The Map

Chapters completed: 0.5/10 = 5%

I did some reading in the first chapter, but haven't picked out questions or projects for it yet.

Monday - OHP

These didn't seem quite as light, but I could still rock them, and improved my chinups slightly.

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

55 lb x 3 reps

65 lb x 3 reps

70 lb x 3 reps

80 lb x 12 reps There I go again with the "+" set...

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

Chin-Up:

5 reps

4 reps

4 reps

3 reps

3 reps

4 reps

Lots were really sloppy, but they got done.

Looks like you might have underestimated your 1RM for your upper body lifts. After your last challenge, with you putting up 5x5x130 on bench and 5x5x80 on OHP, I think you probably could have gone quite a bit higher.

I plugged my stats into strstd for my current lifts at the start of the challenge, documented in my intro post, and am using the 531 it generated for 1RM 90%. I guess I needed to go a few more rounds of 5x5 on the upper body before calling those my best (or the strstd calculations are off for upper body lifts). Strangely, I deloaded on OHP and bench a few times last challenge, but now they're going crazy. I still have a couple more weeks of this 531 cycle, then I'll work on finding my 1RM in the deload week.

Tuesday - DL

These started to get heavy! My hands weren't as bad as last week, probably a combination of the calluses formed and I snuck in a treatment from my eco ball (faux chalk) after my + round.

Barbell Deadlift:

Warm up

100 lb x 5 reps

125 lb x 5 reps

150 lb x 3 reps

175 lb x 3 reps

200 lb x 3 reps

225 lb x 5 reps +

Assist

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

Bar slipped a little on rep 4 of "+" round, switched to mixed grip and didn't feel much better. I did hold at the top of the last rep for ~5s most sets, gotta work up that grip strength.

Hanging Straight Leg Raise:

5 reps

Hands couldn't handle more than that. Switched to dip spot after these.

12 reps

12 reps

12 reps

12 reps

15 reps

Thursday - Bench

These still aren't feeling very heavy, but they will soon. When I was doing 5x5 with 125+ pounds it seemed like the biggest problem was finding the right grip position to avoid pinching a nerve in my palm, no matter how I adjusted it always seemed to get me. The angling trick shown in Starting Strength hasn't worked very well, maybe I'm not gripping as hard as I need to?

Barbell Bench Press:

55 lb x 5 reps

70 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 3 reps

95 lb x 3 reps

110 lb x 3 reps

125 lb x 10 reps +

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row:

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

Saturday - Squats

These went a bit quicker than last week, I just powered through them and didn't slow down until I was into the half-widowmakers. Another thing I've noticed is that with the extra assistance exercises and some of the new stretching I've been doing (splits in the 2 axes, 1 knee bent for each) my hip flexors seem to be more under control. I don't get the pain at the top of the squat anymore, but I'm also still a bit under my former working weight.

Barbell Squat:

70 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 3 reps

120 lb x 3 reps

140 lb x 3 reps

155 lb x 6 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

Seated Leg Curl:

90 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

90 lb x 10 reps

Week 2 Review

Week 2 is done. I'm really liking how fast the sessions are going, I'm in and out in under an hour, even with switching out weights every set to alternate with the GF. I think my total Squat time this week was ~15-20m if I had been solo, which is under half the time they were taking me in my SL 5x5 routine, and then I had 2 more lifts to go.

GF wanted to go straight from work to the gym this week, and it seemed to work fairly well Monday and Tuesday, it just feels like I'm lugging too much stuff to/from work like this. I'd leave my gym clothes in the car, but it's so cold it makes for a very uncomfortable changing situation.

Week 1 weight: 172.0

Monday morning weight: 172.8

Week-to-week loss/gain: +0.8

Net Loss/Gain: +0.4

I'm up a little, but not a lot, which I'll call pretty good considering how many family dinners I participated in this week. My low point was 169.8 during a longish (~15h) IF period, but the after-fasting cravings hit me pretty hard. The timing was terrible, too, since the family was making some sambusic cookies (ground walnut+sugar filling, dipped in a hint-of-orange syrup bath after baking) and I ended up eating way too many.

Study The Map

Chapters completed: 1/10 = 10%

Chapter 1 is complete. I took a look at the questions/projects for Chapter 2, but will have to read through it a bit more thoroughly before I make my selections. The class is about Operating Systems, and every question in chapter 2 got into brand specifics for Windows, Mac or Linux. I prefer to stick with more meta questions so the choices are getting annoying.

Monday - OHP

Week 3 of BBB and starting to really see the maxes. OHP started and finished strong, and if I readjust my new max (85x10) in strstd it has me at a calculated 111 1RM, +10 from the previous, and it looks like a good continuation of this progression. I know the program calls for a deload week in week 4, but I'm considering restarting next week with the new calculated maxes so I can fit 2 cycles into this challenge. We'll see how I'm feeling after Squat day.

45 lb x 5 reps

45 lb x 5 reps

55 lb x 3 reps

70 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 3 reps

85 lb x 10 reps +

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

45 lb x 10 reps

Chin-Up:

6 reps

5 reps

4 reps

3 reps

3 reps

4 reps

Tuesday - DL

It was the GF's birthday, and we ended up working out ~1.5h after eating way too much. Beef stroganoff on zucchini "pasta", asparagus, and a flour-less chocolate cake (100% ghirardelli bars in the cake, unsweetened chocolate ganache frosting, fresh raspberry filling).

The DLs were heavy and I'm surprised I could get the 235 up once let alone 4 times. The new calculated 1RM is in line with recommendations (+9, 285) so I can roll with that, I'll just have to really nail the form as I work up to the 245. The assistance exercises are helping, I just need to keep at them and focus on my abs during the lifts.

Barbell Deadlift:

100 lb x 5 reps

125 lb x 5 reps

150 lb x 3 reps

185 lb x 5 reps

210 lb x 3 reps

235 lb x 4 reps +

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

125 lb x 10 reps

15 reps

15 reps

15 reps

15 reps

15 reps

Thursday - Bench

These weren't particularly hard, but I'll really have to work on my grip positioning as the 130 set was really biting into my hands. The new top lift put my calculated 1RM up to 170 (+16 from 154) so that'll be a nice challenge for the next round.

Barbell Bench Press:

55 lb x 5 reps

70 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 3 reps

105 lb x 5 reps

120 lb x 3 reps

130 lb x 10 reps +

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

Saturday - Squats

These got hard. I was able to get 7 at 165 somehow, but the last one required a battle cry. I think I went a little overboard on the leg curls at the end, too. My hamstrings are still sore today. The new max puts my calculated 1RM at 204 (+12 from 192).

Barbell Squat:

70 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 5 reps

105 lb x 3 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

145 lb x 3 reps

165 lb x 7 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

85 lb x 10 reps

Seated Leg Curl:

90 lb x 10 reps

90 lb x 10 reps

90 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

70 lb x 10 reps

Thursday - Bench

These weren't particularly hard, but I'll really have to work on my grip positioning as the 130 set was really biting into my hands. The new top lift put my calculated 1RM up to 170 (+16 from 154) so that'll be a nice challenge for the next round.

Make sure to keep your wrists straight. Also I use chalk to keep the bar from slipping/pinching and thus keeping my callouses down and preventing pain in my hand. Here's an article from SL that may help explain the grip: http://stronglifts.com/how-you-can-avoid-wrist-pain-from-the-bench-press/

Week 3 Review

Week 3 is done. The one thing I miss about my old routine was the squatting every day. Squatting once a week just doesn't feel like enough now.

It's time to reset the 5/3/1 cycle and start fresh with my new calculated 1RMs.

[table=width: 500]

[th]Weight x Rep[/th]

[th]Calculated 1RM[/th]

[th]OHP Start[/th]

85 x 5

[th]OHP Current[/th]

85 x 10

111 +10

[th]DL Start[/th]

235 x 3

[th]DL Current[/th]

235 x 4

285 +9

[th]Bench Start[/th]

130 x 5

[th]Bench Current[/th]

135 x 10

170 +16

[th]Squat Start[/th]

165 x 5

[th]Squat Current[/th]

165 x 7

204 +12

[/table]

Hit all the workouts on schedule. GF was sick for Saturday, so I might have done better if she had been there, and she's always so excited to do squats it's sad that she couldn't make it. At least she got her rest, 14 hours of it Saturday night.

Week 2 weight: 172.8

Monday morning weight: 171.8

Week-to-week loss/gain: -1.0

Net Loss/Gain: -0.6

I'm down a little, but not a lot. Overall not too bad, I'm able to maintain fairly well with this current diet (or lack thereof).

Study The Map

Chapters completed: 1/10 = 10%

No progress this week, lots of stuff going on at work and lots of grading for the class this semester (ending in 2 weeks).

Make sure to keep your wrists straight. Also I use chalk to keep the bar from slipping/pinching and thus keeping my callouses down and preventing pain in my hand. Here's an article from SL that may help explain the grip: http://stronglifts.com/how-you-can-avoid-wrist-pain-from-the-bench-press/

Thanks for this. My grip is very close to the example, but I might not be keeping my hand rotated / bar on the heel properly when I squeeze the bar after getting my position set. All of the pain is in my outer palm (below the pinky/ring fingers) from the bar pinching into a nerve or something, none in the wrist.

Week of updates inc!

Monday - OHP

I went straight into another round of 5/3/1, and things went nicely with little or no regression. I like where the new lifts are for upper body, they were double or more than the suggested increase because I based it off of my performance in the last week of the previous cycle. Upper body days I still feel like I should be doing more, but lower body days I'm completely wiped out.

45 lb x 5 reps

50 lb x 5 reps

60 lb x 5 reps

65 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

85 lb x 10 reps +

55 lb x 10 reps

55 lb x 10 reps

55 lb x 10 reps

55 lb x 10 reps

55 lb x 10 reps

Chin-Up:

6 reps

6 reps

5 reps

5 reps

5 reps

4 reps

Tuesday - DL

These feel heavy, but it's a great feeling to get them up. On the assist sets I'm really focusing on keeping my abs tight, something I need to do but don't focus enough on the actual lifts, so that maybe I can develop some sort of muscle memory for it. My arms were aching on the hanging lifts, so I switched over to the dip station for the rest of them.

Barbell Deadlift:

100 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 5 reps

155 lb x 3 reps

165 lb x 5 reps

190 lb x 5 reps

220 lb x 7 reps +

130 lb x 10 reps

130 lb x 10 reps

130 lb x 10 reps

130 lb x 10 reps

130 lb x 10 reps

Hanging Knee Raise:

10 reps

10 reps

15 reps

15 reps

15 reps

Thursday - Bench

These went a lot better than last week. I focused on keeping the bar on the heel of my hand and everything was great.

Barbell Bench Press:

45 lb x 5 reps

60 lb x 5 reps

75 lb x 5 reps

90 lb x 3 reps

100 lb x 5 reps

115 lb x 5 reps

130 lb x 10 reps +

75 lb x 10 reps

75 lb x 10 reps

75 lb x 10 reps

75 lb x 10 reps

75 lb x 10 reps

One-Arm Dumbbell Row:

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

40 lb x 10 reps

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines