• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Fiachan

Team Wordy Stuff

Yay a weekend break! Those are always welcome!! I guess it's back to the grindstone tomorrow?

Embrace the frog. It's a mighty cool animal. And that bell could be used for other things, like every time you've completed another page on your paper ding the bell. Maybe they wanted you to be reminded to get a new bike or they saw it and they couldn't pass up the opportunity to get you a really cute froggie bell.

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've spent this weekend reading up on my background worldbuilding docs as I'm finding it hard to get off the mark without refreshing myself on where I got to.

I have blocked out some time in my work calendar tomorrow to actually write. Hopefully there'll be a meeting room free where I can shut myself away from the world! :)

I agree with AB that frogs are cool, not many animals pull off bright green and make it look good, that's for sure!

Let's rock Monday and week 2 of the challenge!

p.s. Fiachan, hope you enjoy your holiday & margeritas! :)

300 words this evening + some research. I finally feel like I'm able to get on track with this part of the challenge!

How's everyone else doing?

Well done, girls!

I didn't write anything yesterday; I was supposed to prepare a drawing portfolio to show people at the Pratchett fan gathering, but as I do every time there's an opportunity to promote myself, I just kept procrastinating -_-'

UF would you like my skype or gtalk or whatsapp so you can chat to me when you feel yourself "procrastinating"/"slacking"/about to binge etc etc? I'm happy to be your "sponsor" as i work my way through it too :) You're so good at drawing, i love your little illustrations in your thread, whats the block on the Pratchett job? Anything i can help with.

Great going on getting your latest blog post up AB!

And UF, as Angel says, your drawings are super-good, we'd love to see you promote yourself!

This lunchtime: 288 words. So far so good: I wouldn't get the opportunity to get this done at home.

Good on you, Kev! It's looking up for you.

I didn't exactly do a blog yesterday but i changed my blog up, renamed it and imported the blogs from my other one into it. Tonight i added another recipe.

Cool stuff!

I've added 268 words to my doc this evening (history of the lands of the world), taking its current total to 6329 (it was already in the thousands when I started the other day but I feel like it's becoming reasonably substantial).

Friday started off well, just done 431 words this lunchtime (doc upto 6760 words).

From Monday: 300, 312, 288, 268, 431 words takes me to a total of 1599 for the week so far and I've now achieved my "write 100 words 5 days a week" goal for week 2!

Edited by kevralyn

Hello! I'm just popping in. My goal is 1000 words a day. The first week went great, but this week I have been having trouble keeping it up. So here I am!

Hello! I'm just popping in. My goal is 1000 words a day. The first week went great, but this week I have been having trouble keeping it up. So here I am!

Welcome aboard!

Fi could you work an amazon angle into your story? I am so envious :)

Welcome Sky. Hope we're able to help!

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

1000 words seems like a mega amount to me!

But if you were able to keep this up in the first week (well done!), what kind of conditions contributed to that? And what kind of things were obstructing you in the second week? (e.g. did you have the plot laid out in your mind for week 1, was real life too busy in week 2, etc...?)

1000 words seems like a mega amount to me!

But if you were able to keep this up in the first week (well done!), what kind of conditions contributed to that? And what kind of things were obstructing you in the second week? (e.g. did you have the plot laid out in your mind for week 1, was real life too busy in week 2, etc...?)

When I'm ON, the writing flows, and 1000 words takes me 30-40 minutes. I started this novel back in July, and the beginning was so much fun to write. Back then I would rather write than play video games! Toddler was sleeping from 8pm-8am, and I would write from when everybody else went to bed until midnight. Sometimes it was 1000 words; often it was more. One night I wrote something like 2500 words.

I hit swampy middle of my novel around the middle of September, which makes it a little more difficult to know what to write. The swampy middle is why I've started 20 novels but only finished one. It makes writing less fun, so it's easier to let life stuff interfere.

The biggest life thing I think is that Husband switched to nights this past week at his job. With him needing to sleep all morning, it's been a little more difficult to set aside 10-20 minutes in the morning to write, and that's what my success has been dependent on. Timing my writing has been helping me slog through the middle, and having it be half or more done by noon makes it easier for me to put in the rest of the effort to finish. Plus, timing it has made it so I'm not constantly counting words.

The original goal of 1000 words came from Stephen King's book On Writing, in which he talked about writing 2500 or so words a day, and then challenged the readers to go for 1000 a day. When I tried it out and it took less than an hour, I figured it was a pretty good goal. My neighbor (who is also a writer) talks about it taking four or more hours to write that much, but he writes his first draft longhand with a pen and notebook, and I type mine directly.

Hi Skyfire :)

Given your husband's new working hours, do you think it's worth finding a different time to write or will things settle down?

Just a suggestion, but may it be worth flicking back through to the beginning and remind yourself why you were so enthused about this novel at the start, to get the buzz back?

I guess the best advice is to do as you're doing, just to keep going; some of my (real life published) writing friends often say "fix it in the rewrite".

~~~

On a completely different note: sneaked 231 words in at the end of today - hooray.

1089 words, and done by 3:30. I wrote during Toddler's nap.

That won't work everyday, as one of my challenge goals has to do with exercising, and her nap is often when I exercise. On those days I'll have to think of something else.

Great work skyfire! Hope you were able to get in your zone :)

Today I watched "Battleplan", a seemingly US documentary about modern amphibious attacks and the strategy/tactics behind them. This actually counts as research, but I then went on to use this info as to how the pirate invaders managed to capture an important island plush with valuable natural resources.

Today's wordcount: 241, taking the week's total to 2071 - yay! and wrote every day :)

Thanks AngelBlaidd! :) I do feel like I'm getting back into it now... these invasions are taking place about 300 years before the 'story' starts but they're pretty important :)

A quick update: Monday lunchtime, 432 words ('the other lands' doc is now 7664 words). Woo!

Fleshed out more about the pirates' beliefs, their initial brutal invasion of the nearby mainland in which the story will be set, and worked out which naughty neighbouring country supplied them with 'fire powder' (rudimentary explosives). I don't like guns etc in fantasy books however so my protagonist race has a very effective magical counter against this type of weapon!

Sign in to follow this