• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tkal

The QUILT BAG

For the fabulous people in here and out there, and also not so out. It does not matter if you train in the big open or in a closet. What is important is to have fun along the way!

I know, lame introduction... let me sleep on it ;-)

heyyyyy...are you starting a group for adventurers? cuz i'm looking for one, with general support etc...

do i just sign up here to be in the group or do i need to do something else? this is my first challenge. thanks!

For the fabulous people in here and out there, and also not so out. It does not matter if you train in the big open or in a closet. What is important is to have fun along the way!

I know, lame introduction... let me sleep on it ;-)

Hello! Signed up. No idea what we're doing yet but it'll be fun finding out.

I'm out, but I don't shout about it. There are still some work colleagues assuming I'm straight! If anyone asks about my partner or stuff like that, I don't mind telling them, but I don't announce it to everyone I meet. I've met people who do that, and it strikes me as insecure (or, sometimes, just plain shallow... as if being gay is all that defines them).

heyyyyy...are you starting a group for adventurers? cuz i'm looking for one, with general support etc...

do i just sign up here to be in the group or do i need to do something else? this is my first challenge. thanks!

It's not just for adventurers. It's for those of us who are a little... different in our gender choices.

Hey everyone! I'm a lesbian in the slow process of picking and choosing who in my real life I can be out to and not get into... problems, right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in here. =D

General support? I think we can do it, although for two of us is the first challenge :-) I think the only two requirements to be here are being fabulous (of course) and open-minded. The group is not just for adventurers, it started from here

This thing (the accountabuddies) is something new for everybody. Just sign up the spreadsheet and you are one of us!

I'm out, but I don't shout about it.
Hey everyone! I'm a lesbian in the slow process of picking and choosing who in my real life I can be out to and not get into... problems, right now.

Wow! the training in the closet thing was a joke... Although I hanged my rings in between 2 doors and considering the space I have... I have seen bigger closets!

Speaking about being out, my Dutch teacher outed me with the class, obviously the day I was absent. Personally I don't care, I tell the true to everybody who bothers asking. What is annoying is the fact that none of them respected my privacy, especially the teacher. The homework for this week is, among the rest, writing a complain letter. You know what I will complain about!

If you are wondering, I am a FTM, but I haven't start taking hormones yet. I live in a sort of limbo and people notice it: at first glance half of the people says I am male, half that I am female. Then they look wetter and change their mind (yes, both groups)

Ok, down to business now. What brought you here on NF, in this challenge and in this thread? I give you a few answers: loosing weight, get fit, do N push-ups/pull-ups/bodiweight-exercises, run N miles, lift so much. Now that we are done with the usual stuff, let's take out our deeper (deepest?) motives!

...Then they look wetter and change their mind (yes, both groups)

Is this a typo? How do they look wetter?

Ok, down to business now. What brought you here on NF, in this challenge and in this thread? I give you a few answers: loosing weight, get fit, do N push-ups/pull-ups/bodiweight-exercises, run N miles, lift so much. Now that we are done with the usual stuff, let's take out our deeper (deepest?) motives!

This is my fourth challenge, and I've taken a bit of a leap - or perhaps I should say a running jump, given that my transfer to the scouts has come through. I've never been happy about my general fitness, though it was much easier in my early twenties when I never gained weight (a double-edged sword, of course; I didn't get fat, but I wasn't strong either). Now I'm in my thirties and I still don't gain weight easily, though I've had a slight belly for many years.

Back in February, while bending over at work, something went "twang" in my back and I was in agony. I spent a week off work with plenty of rest and some powerful painkillers. Even when I was up, walking was painful and tiring. The three minute walk to my local shop took me ten. It was a horrible feeling. I recovered completely over the next couple of weeks, but I felt that I was less fit than I'd always thought and wanted to change.

And then I discovered Nerd Fitness.

Since then I've been doing regular bodyweight workouts, made changes to my diet, lost most of the belly and - my proudest achievement - started doing push-ups (something I'd never been able to do!). This challenge I've finally decided to work on something I have missed about my school days - being able to run. So I've taken the plunge and joined the Scouts, and I'm on the C25K course.

Is this a typo? How do they look wetter?

it should have been "they look better" ;-)

But given the amount of rain in this country, also "looking wetter" could make sense...

I've never been happy about my general fitness, though it was much easier in my early twenties [CUT]

Back in February, while bending over at work, something went "twang" in my back and I was in agony. [CUT]

I felt that I was less fit than I'd always thought and wanted to change.[CUT]

I've finally decided to work on something I have missed about my school days - being able to run. So I've taken the plunge and joined the Scouts, and I'm on the C25K course.

Didn't I say that "getting fit" was not a valid answer? ;-)

But I understand your point, we are "getting older" and old buildings need more maintenance. By the way, C25k is nice. I did it with a friend ages ago. The only downside was that at a certain point we run (literally) out of safe&quiet roads. The idea was to use always the same way, so it would have been easier to track progress, and indeed it was a good idea. But we miscalculated and the nice country road ends in the highway too early.

I like the idea of doing something that was once in your life but got missing at a certain point. For me it is a bit weird, I used do do martial arts (mainly karate, but I practice other stuff on the side), it was my first though in the morning and my last before sleep. And then last year it disappeared in few days. After 20+ years of daily practice. At that point I became a couch potato, I went from a couple of hours per day of physical activity to nothing. The extra weight and the rest is just a side effect.

The annoying bit is that I did not filled the extra time with anything interesting (or boring, does not matter). On the contrary, it seems that I have no time for anything anymore.

I miss the spark I had before, I want it back, it is sort of a hole in my life. I waited, and waited. No spark :-(

I went for the approach "if you build it, he will come", but I realized pretty soon that without The Spark it is impossible for me to train again as I used to. I just did a lot of "collecting pants", but never stick to anything for long enough. Good thing is that in the meantime I had a wonderful experience at work, where I am part of a wonderful team. We help each other a lot when one hits a difficult spot. So, the good feeling was there, in a certain way.

Problem is, during this year I also grew more and more uneasy about looker rooms in gyms and getting out without changing into dry clothes is unhealthy given the climate and the fact that I walk/bike everywhere.

One of the website where I was collecting pants is GMB. From there I landed on NF blog. When I sign up, I took sort of seriously the "you are in for life", and I knew the only way to stay was to find/create here the same feeling I had at work. I took out one of the "pants" form GMB and started working on that, knowing that it is something I can do in my "closet". I do not have The Spark (yet), but reporting here every day is good enough at the moment to build again the good habits I used to have (good also for "building maintenance!)

And this is my story. Men, I wrote too much...

it should have been "they look better" ;-)

But given the amount of rain in this country, also "looking wetter" could make sense...

:) After living in the UK for three decades, I know what you mean...

Didn't I say that "getting fit" was not a valid answer? ;-)

It's shorthand. It covers being strong enough to do push ups (done) and pull ups (working on it), break into a run when required (also working on it) and looking damned sexy (definitely getting there!).

By the way, C25k is nice. I did it with a friend ages ago. The only downside was that at a certain point we run (literally) out of safe&quiet roads. The idea was to use always the same way, so it would have been easier to track progress, and indeed it was a good idea. But we miscalculated and the nice country road ends in the highway too early.

Ah... the trick is to find a circular route. I have a dislike of routes that have you turn round and come back - I'd much rather go in a circle anyway, and if you have a 2km circle (say) you can go 4km just by doing it twice.

I like the idea of doing something that was once in your life but got missing at a certain point. For me it is a bit weird, I used do do martial arts (mainly karate, but I practice other stuff on the side), it was my first though in the morning and my last before sleep.

I had a stab at Shotokan karate in my university days. It didn't work out for me. General fitness and balance (or rather, my lack of them) made it difficult for me, but the moment I decided to quit was when most of the beginner class I was in were getting their first kata accreditation, and I found I was going the wrong way on all the moves. Choreography has never been a skill of mine.

And then last year it disappeared in few days. After 20+ years of daily practice. At that point I became a couch potato, I went from a couple of hours per day of physical activity to nothing. The extra weight and the rest is just a side effect. The annoying bit is that I did not filled the extra time with anything interesting (or boring, does not matter). On the contrary, it seems that I have no time for anything anymore.

I miss the spark I had before, I want it back, it is sort of a hole in my life. I waited, and waited. No spark :-(

Sounds rather like depression. No motivation makes it hard to do anything. I went a long time without the spark myself, and I've discovered that it doesn't come the way it used to. I have to find my own motivation. Doing something because you enjoy it isn't always enough. You need a stronger reason for it.

I went for the approach "if you build it, he will come", but I realized pretty soon that without The Spark it is impossible for me to train again as I used to. I just did a lot of "collecting pants", but never stick to anything for long enough.

One of my life goals - for which one of my challenge goals is a small part - is to run my own business, selling course materials and training guides, that sort of thing. I write well and I should put that to good use. I already have a small business providing a proofreading and creative writing service to independent game developers, and this is a curious example of not collecting underpants.

Many times before this, I'd started schemes for a business. I planned, I brainstormed, I'd write up ideas... and I never started. I'd be working on more details and putting off actually doing anything. So when I started my proofreading company, I did it all wrong. I bought a domain name, signed up for webspace at Yahoo (they no longer do this, but I jumped ship long ago) and threw together a website in a text editor. It was a hideous mess of purples and blues. My price structure was thrown together out of nothing, and I actually doubled my prices in the first couple of months as they were ludicrously cheap. They probably still are! All these things changed sooner or later, but I learned a lot by just jumping in head first and trying it out. It's been going for years now.

One of the website where I was collecting pants is GMB. From there I landed on NF blog. When I sign up, I took sort of seriously the "you are in for life", and I knew the only way to stay was to find/create here the same feeling I had at work. I took out one of the "pants" form GMB and started working on that, knowing that it is something I can do in my "closet". I do not have The Spark (yet), but reporting here every day is good enough at the moment to build again the good habits I used to have (good also for "building maintenance!)

And this is my story. Men, I wrote too much...

Take as many words as you need!

And that spark is much like falling in love. Many people think that true love is a sudden lightning strike - you just know when it happens - and indeed many of us get that in our youth. Usually more than once. It seldom lasts. The love that does last is the slow, creepy-uppy kind of love based on shared experience and interests. It's the kind of love that grows a little every day.

I think my days of sudden enthusiasm are all but over. But that means when I am interested in something, I stay with it for longer.

I've just been... lax on life, I think, for a very long time. It's not all my fault, but I'm definitely irresponsible for not pushing back on what's been keeping me so lazy for so many years after childhood. That's what started me on my weight loss journey and what has brought me to NF eventually. I need to lose weight and just learn how to not be a bump on a log all day.

I was raised to be a follower and to not step my toe out of line, and I found it was easier to basically just make myself scarce than to ask for things, plus nobody ever really pushed me to be active or take care of myself. Over time I became shyer and less and less assertive, and it just snowballed. A lot of things from my childhood kind of wove together to make it harder for me to break out of it, I think, and I'm still working on a lot of stuff. I have to change the way I've been taught to think. And that's why I am here, pushing myself to get in shape. Everything is connected in the end - if I work on my body, it helps the mind work through things, too.

Hey guys! I'm new here, this is my first challenge, and this accountability group thing seems like an awesome idea because I struggle with motivation.

Not fabulous, somewhere between out and not (close friends and new friends: yes; family: no), but here I am filling in the B in the acronym (gotta catch 'em all?!). And you guys seem cool. :)

I found NerdFitness because I was looking for ways to work out without a gym and Steve's bodyweight workout popped up on Google. I bookmarked it and started doing it a few times a week. Then one day I decided to check out more articles on the site, and read as many as I could, and got excited, and then found the forums, and now here we are.

I was never really into fitness that much...I swam in college for fun--it kept me in shape but I was never very fast (I always just raced my own personal bests). I bumbled around in the gym with no results. When I came to this country for Peace Corps, I stopped working out and started eating horribly (the diet here: all of the carbs with all of the salt), and that took a toll on my health. I went to the doctors to check my blood pressure because I had had problems with it in the past, and it was sky high. Not okay for someone in his early twenties. So I'm being more conscious of my diet, exercising regularly, and just trying to make a commitment to my health. I get discouraged easily and have trouble getting motivated, so I hope this group can help with that. And of course, I'm here to help motivate y'all too!

There I go saying "fitness" is one of my goals...oops. Concrete things: be able to run a 5K (coming up on Thursday!), be able to do more than 5 pullups, lose some belly (getting there, I can see something abs-like!), and have blood pressure in a healthy range (going to the capital to see the docs on Wednesday!).

Let's rock this challenge!

And that spark is much like falling in love. Many people think that true love is a sudden lightning strike - you just know when it happens - and indeed many of us get that in our youth. Usually more than once. It seldom lasts. The love that does last is the slow, creepy-uppy kind of love based on shared experience and interests. It's the kind of love that grows a little every day.

I completely agree. Also, I fell down my ball (I use a big gym ball instead of a chair in front of my computer at home) when I read about the creepy love you describe. I had in my mind the story of my wife and me, it took us six years to get together...

I was raised to be a follower and to not step my toe out of line

I have seen this so often... But as long as you want to change and you keep working on this, you will be unstoppable! And it is good if your change can start from your body, because it is something you can really control

Hey guys! I'm new here, this is my first challenge, and this accountability group thing seems like an awesome idea because I struggle with motivation.

Not fabulous, somewhere between out and not

Sorry Brndy, but I do not believe you are not fabulous. You joined this group, therefore you must be! By the way, welcome! and yes, my initial plan was to collect all the letters, and so far it is going well. Plus, the more the merrier!

For the motivation part, I think that the difficult part is for us to physically drag you out for a walk or for paleo-shopping :friendly_wink: but as long as you drop a line time to time you will not be ignored. For the past nine years I lived in a culture where you can survive alone, but you strive only as a team. I apply the same logic here.

Ok, we are at the end of week 1, still 5 to go. My tracking-nerd side would call for an evaluation, but probably it is too early... Anyway, since we are 3 "beginners" here, plus a fresh scout, what do you thing about your goals? we all have set some kind of weekly routine: how is it going? did we shoot too high? or too low? any (hopefully) positive side-effects?

Yes, I know that proper English would require "you" instead of "we", but as I said, it is all about team work :smile-new:

Ok, we are at the end of week 1, still 5 to go. My tracking-nerd side would call for an evaluation, but probably it is too early... Anyway, since we are 3 "beginners" here, plus a fresh scout, what do you thing about your goals? we all have set some kind of weekly routine: how is it going? did we shoot too high? or too low? any (hopefully) positive side-effects?

It's going pretty well...

* I've done three runs so far, and I actually managed to stagger through all eight running intervals of the week one session last time. But it was a struggle, so I'm going to do another week at the same level before I even attempt week two.

* I'm doing five reverse pull-ups and five reverse chin-ups at work (where there are suitable bars) and I hope to up the reps on those next week. Eventually I might be able to do a whole one of each.

* I'm keeping my calories up to scratch best I can, and after giving up hope of getting a workout in today I was ambushed by one after the ironing. Two bodyweight circuits done, plus twenty extra push-ups I did before dinner (because I thought the workout was a lost cause...).

* And the writing - I've been busy on other projects tonight, but I got a ton of progress done on the interview skills course yesterday with a much clearer idea of where to go next. So good news!

Tomorrow I intend on my fourth run. Tuesday I get a break from runs and exercises both (my legs will be pleased!) as I'll be tied up all evening with a monthly social group. And I've even made progress with my novel. Shocking!

Hey everybody! This is my second challenge, but I've been extremely more focused this time around then my first time. I'm trans(MtF on hormones for four and a half months) and although I identify as bi, thats only really a technicality as for the most part I'm into guys. I'm out as bi and trans to my immediate family and out as bi to my roommates.

My main fitness based goals are to get down to 165 lbs and to do 4 hours of running/cardio a week. I failed pretty badly at losing weight for the last challenge because of the conflict in my way of thinking with HRT(e.g. losing weight is good, but having fat for redistribution is also good) that kind of left me only half heartedly trying to lose weight at times. I also was scared about my face getting gaunt and skeletal like it was when I initially lost a lot of weight over a short time. It sounds weird to say it, but I think Rupaul's Drag Race really helped give me a push in the motivation department. :P

I'm currently down to 168 lbs now so my weight loss is actually going really well. Luckily I'm not a big thanksgiving person so I should be fine for the holidays with weight loss.

First off, welcome Zeuel! Glad to hear your challenge is off to a good start!

Alright, update time.

• Body weight workout is going well. I didn't do it on Monday because I was hungover (I know, I know), but got back on the horse today and whipped out 3 circuts. 60 second plank, too!
  • Walking is going well. The kids are REALLY motivated and whenever they see me after school they beg me to walk with them. My host family is getting into it too. And yesterday I even did some intervals (30 sec sprinting, 2 min walking).
  • Diet is okay. I haven't kept 100% paleo -- I've cooked spaghetti and put noodles in my soup. We just got a new superstore though that sells chicken adn a ton of veggies, so this goal should be a lot easier to keep up with. Also the time I drank with my host family our mixer was energy drinks...guh.
  • Kreyol has been great! I've been working my way through my textbook, and I actually understand the audio examples and can translate really well. I'm just lacking on the actual practice front. Time to shed the INFP shyness and just walk into people's houses and talk to them.

Positive side effects, check. I feel healthier and look fitter. I get to wow my host family with delicious foods. I'm building trust/friendship (the Spanish word is confianza) with my Haitian neighbors. I've got a 5K on Thursday -- I've never run a 5K, so wish me luck!

Keep on keepin' on -- you guys rock!

I'm an INFP as well! I'm barely over the line into introvert territory, but I'm there. Its awesome that you are doing great things in Haiti!

I fell off the wagon a little bit today on my diet. I ate dinner at Panda Express and had coffee afterwards! I felt so horrible about it afterwards, but the food smelled so good and I was hungry after picking up dress clothes for Thanksgiving. Gawd! I'll never turn this beefcake into a fish fillet if I can't lay off the non-diet foods.

Oh, those personality types? I'm an INTJ. Love computers, hate people.

I'm currently focused on my main goal, which is running. And I'm doing very well! Just finished a run tonight - I'm totally rocking week one of C25K now, and I'm planning to move on for my next run. I think this is the right decision, as it scares me a little. I have a tendency to play things too safe.

Hey everybody! This is my second challenge, but I've been extremely more focused this time around then my first time.

Welcome Zeuel! nice to have you too on board

Oh, those personality types? I'm an INTJ. Love computers, hate people.

I am not really hating people, but computers are easier to deal with

Anyway, what are this INTJ and INFP you are talking about?

My week: last one was great, this one is more painful. Basically I am simply having a bad week at work and stress is pouring out on my goals. Not a pleasant sight. Oh, well, shit happens, and usually it is good for the orchard :friendly_wink:

I've been doing okay. I got a little lazy this Holiday weekend, missed a few things... I've had a hard time figuring out exactly what to do, too, but I think I've finally got it figured out. I fixed my workout routine (picked up some weights at the store so I don't have to rely on piggybacking on a friend's gym membership) and I'm on the next phase of my diet, so things should even out starting today. Hopefully.

First, from online test I ended up INTJ. Reading the meaning I decided I could have skipped the test. Too many year of therapy? :friendly_wink:

things should even out starting today. Hopefully.

Good luck!

After a great start I had a pretty bad second week. Mainly it was just annoying jobs at work, I really don't like it when I can not do anything challenging and creative. Good think that I am in the R&D department of my company, so the boring days are not the norm. Anyway, after my 8 hours I did not manage to compensate with anything else. Plus, I think I have been keeping my calories intake too low....

On a different topic: on the accoutabilibuddies page our group is quite lame. Any idea to make it a bit more joyful? or is it ok to leave it as it is?

It's a bit cliché, but I've made it rainbow coloured.

Thanks! I knew I could count on the gay man to give an artistic/colorful touch to the group :friendly_wink:

Why does food have to taste so good? I really need to get my calories back under control.

It is just a matter of strategic planning and believing in yourself. You are on track to become your true self, you have been strong until now. Few calories are just mosquitoes compared to the dragons you slayed

Zeuel: Minor bumps in the road are all part of it. Put them behind you and get back on track! Remember, any little effort in the right direction is better than giving up completely after one screw up.

I'm trying to get back on the horse myself. I had a pretty decadent weekend in the capital for Thanksgiving. Ate too much, drank too much, exercised too little (except for the 5 hours of racing and sports on Thanksgiving, and the walking all over the city). When I got back to my site I felt tired and dizzy the first few days, which I think is from the blood pressure medicine the docs put me on. But now I'm back to normal and finally TODAY did a body weight workout again. Tomorrow will be a run day, si Dios quiere. The cooking has been hit or miss...I stay paleo when I can, but it's so much easier to just go across the street to buy some bread and make an avocado sandwich for breakfast. Kreyol practice has been good, I think. Still working through the book. And I talked to a cab driver and an empanada guy in Kreyol while I was in the capital, so yay for practice!

We're what, halfway there? Keep up the good work guys! Good vibes to all.

Is anyone else reading Fight Club for the book club this challenge? I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I know it's on my Kindle. If not Fight Club, what are you reading?