• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drsloomis

Conclave of Assassins

This is the official thread of our team, and the first order of business is coming up with a team name and a motto / purpose. Consider the floor open for suggestions...

I dunno... "Conclave of Assassins" works for me.

Edited to say: Although, stealing a page from KnockingDog, a play off of Assassins would be cool. (e.g. BadASSassins)

I think both suggestions would work. Conclave of Assassins has a nice formal ring to it, Kick Assassins is fun though. I'll weigh in for Kick Assassins since I'm ready for a little levity. Although it's never a good idea to encourage a Kinder:)

You have the right thread for my challenge. I thought I had posted in the latest challenge, guess I jumped the gun. Question, oh vintage one...several of you who've been around awhile are building challenges around very specific skill sets. I'm curious about your selection criteria if you have time to share it. Mainly I'm trying to figure out if what I'm doing for this challenge is setting me up with the right foundation for skill focused later challenges.

And positive style points for dancing Swing. Nothing else really compares.

Question, oh vintage one...several of you who've been around awhile are building challenges around very specific skill sets. I'm curious about your selection criteria if you have time to share it. Mainly I'm trying to figure out if what I'm doing for this challenge is setting me up with the right foundation for skill focused later challenges.

And positive style points for dancing Swing. Nothing else really compares.

Thanks! I do love it.

For my last challenge I worked on hand balancing, and I'm keeping that going, while looking toward other gymnastic type poses in the future, e.g., handstands, levers, even--dare I say--human flags. For that, I'm trying to piece through Overcoming Gravity, which is quite the massive tome. In it, L-sit/V-sit/Manna progression is a big focus of beginners, which helps with lots of other progressions.

But I also have been digging the hand-balancing yoga poses, so I've definitely focused on trying to advance there, too.

So, that's me, but maybe some other of our teammates can chime in.

I dunno... "Conclave of Assassins" works for me.

Edited to say: Although, stealing a page from KnockingDog, a play off of Assassins would be cool. (e.g. BadASSassins)

...or just Cave of ASSassins...

Perhaps more important than the name (the what) of our group is the purpose (the why). Obviously to encourage, motivate, and support, but somehow more than that. A big shout out to AtSeaLevel for posting links to everybody's threads to make it easy to keep up with each other.

One thing I think we can do here is post the one thing / goal you see yourself needing the most support with. Obviously these may change, but I think giving this group a focal point for each member will make it easier to key in to our different strengths and weaknesses so we can maximize our effectiveness as a group

For me, that's most likely going to be the OG / developing my own routine goal, as I've mostly used pre-packaged workouts up until now (not that there's anything wrong with them...I certainly have then to thank for the improvements I've seen in the past 6-8 months, though Shaun T can still bite me!). Thus, I can't really help answer the question about foundational skills, but would definitely also be interested in what others have to say.

The underlying theme of my challenge is making exercise a daily habit over the long haul. It's easy to work out in spurts and then pass when the schedule gets hectic, but that's a dead end. I took a look at the OG...too much "revealed" knowledge for me at this point! No small task digesting it and then applying it.

One thing I think we can do here is post the one thing / goal you see yourself needing the most support with. Obviously these may change, but I think giving this group a focal point for each member will make it easier to key in to our different strengths and weaknesses so we can maximize our effectiveness as a group

For me, that's most likely going to be the OG / developing my own routine goal, as I've mostly used pre-packaged workouts up until now (not that there's anything wrong with them...I certainly have then to thank for the improvements I've seen in the past 6-8 months, though Shaun T can still bite me!). Thus, I can't really help answer the question about foundational skills, but would definitely also be interested in what others have to say.

Good call. I'm still digesting OG little by little. It's a bit overwhelming, and based on advice from Waldo ages ago, I am not going to get overwhelmed; I am going to nibble a bit at a time. Hence: L-Sit. And L-Sit will be a challenge. I can hold myself up, so the upper strength is there (for short periods), but the lower flexibility isn't there. I've been looking for L-Sit resources out there and they all say: Hamstring flexibility, but not how to get it. Pike stretches, certainly, but I'm still having to search for the flexibility resources. Any suggestions?

Just to weigh in on Croman's question about what foundation to lie... And my response shall be based on the first few chapters of OG... You need to know where you are going to know what foundation to build. If I want to build a large, 5 bedroom house, then the foundation of a storage shed isn't going to help. It might be a fine foundation and perfect for a storage shed, but that isn't the goal I'm after. I want to build a 5 bedroom house frakit! That might not be the greatest analogy as the house clearly has more value over-all but hopefully you see what I mean. OG talks about choosing a few things you would like to be able to do and then figuring out where on the progressions for them you are. Squats won't really help you do a handstand and vice versa. So spend some time and think about where you are heading so you can forge a path toward that destination.

On what I'll need the most help with... That would be vacation time. Disney World. Workouts will certainly suffer, and so will truly free time to get my course done. But I am most concerned about staying healthy amongst the bad food and with the lack of structured workouts. Any tips?

Okay, I'm still processing all of this information, so I'll be slow to respond to a lot of this, but I'll catch up eventually.

As for my one thing I need support on...I'm pretty good with keeping up with my goals (I think) but I need a little extra help with something that's not part of my goals but complements my goals. I eat well, except for the occasional sweets binge. My goal is to cut out sweets 6 days a week by the end of it. But on top of that, I sometimes go overboard with my portions. It doesn't matter if I'm eating healthy when I'm eating 3X what I should. So, I think I might need some help keeping my eye on the prize with that and not using my specific goal of not eating sweets as an excuse to eat more of the food that I am allowed to eat.

Just to weigh in on Croman's question about what foundation to lie... And my response shall be based on the first few chapters of OG... You need to know where you are going to know what foundation to build. If I want to build a large, 5 bedroom house, then the foundation of a storage shed isn't going to help. It might be a fine foundation and perfect for a storage shed, but that isn't the goal I'm after. I want to build a 5 bedroom house frakit! That might not be the greatest analogy as the house clearly has more value over-all but hopefully you see what I mean. OG talks about choosing a few things you would like to be able to do and then figuring out where on the progressions for them you are. Squats won't really help you do a handstand and vice versa. So spend some time and think about where you are heading so you can forge a path toward that destination.

I agree with this. I want to do parkour eventually so I'm breaking it down to what is needed to do these types of things and then I'm breaking it down some more and breaking it down more until I'm focusing on the weak parts of my foundations...then I based my exercise goals on what I can do to strengthen my foundation.

On what I'll need the most help with... That would be vacation time. Disney World. Workouts will certainly suffer, and so will truly free time to get my course done. But I am most concerned about staying healthy amongst the bad food and with the lack of structured workouts. Any tips?

Get up early before everyone else and do what workout you can before you start your day of fun. If you can, go to a grocery store and buy healthy food to make snack bags and sandwiches and take them in a small cooler in your backpack. Don't take enough cash with you for food.

Edited by Devyn

Get up early before everyone else and do what workout you can before you start your day of fun. If you can, go to a grocery store and buy healthy food to make snack bags and sandwiches and take them in a small cooler in your backpack. Don't take enough cash with you for food.

These are perfect and I had planned on a few of them. We'll be hitting a grocery store the night we arrive. Did it last time (although more for junk food to snack on...) and it worked out well and saved us a lot of money. Hadn't thought about making sandwhiches, but I might. Depends if we have a fridge in out room though. On the getting up early... it's going to be a balancing act. I don't think I'll have trouble getting up before the majority of my travelling group (My wife's family) so I'll have some time there, but I need to juggle getting my Python assignments complete and staying fit. One thing I found last time I went is that lines get boring so I would start juggling and playing footbag a bit to pass the time. I might do that more here as a way to stay sharp. As a bonus it helps entertain other people waiting. lol

On your sweet binge issue. Make a pledge to us that you will tell us when you eat something sweet. Then follow through. One thing I do is eat some but only a little. Earlier this week someone brought in a HUGE bag full of haloween sized Smartie boxes. In the past I could have and would have eaten at least half of this bag. This time I tried to resist and succeeded for a while, but the temptation was taking over and I knew I would snap soon. So I had one box. I recorded the 45 calories in MFP and stopped there. I was satisfied and didn't need any more. I don't think that works for everyone, but I have a huge sweet tooth and I find if I don't let it sink into something good every so often I end up coming out of 7-11 with $20 worth of CRAP and eating it all in an hour.

Good call. I'm still digesting OG little by little. It's a bit overwhelming, and based on advice from Waldo ages ago, I am not going to get overwhelmed; I am going to nibble a bit at a time. Hence: L-Sit. And L-Sit will be a challenge. I can hold myself up, so the upper strength is there (for short periods), but the lower flexibility isn't there. I've been looking for L-Sit resources out there and they all say: Hamstring flexibility, but not how to get it. Pike stretches, certainly, but I'm still having to search for the flexibility resources. Any suggestions?

RDLs! You're already doing the single leg deadlift, yes? That'll help too. Hanging leg lifts to strengthen the core.

I also found starting on the parallel bars (sub in chairs if no PBs maybe?) very helpful.

These are perfect and I had planned on a few of them. We'll be hitting a grocery store the night we arrive. Did it last time (although more for junk food to snack on...) and it worked out well and saved us a lot of money. Hadn't thought about making sandwhiches, but I might. Depends if we have a fridge in out room though. On the getting up early... it's going to be a balancing act. I don't think I'll have trouble getting up before the majority of my travelling group (My wife's family) so I'll have some time there, but I need to juggle getting my Python assignments complete and staying fit. One thing I found last time I went is that lines get boring so I would start juggling and playing footbag a bit to pass the time. I might do that more here as a way to stay sharp. As a bonus it helps entertain other people waiting. lol

That's a great idea, using the lines to pass the time. Have you tried bringing any required readings with you so you can read in line? You could do your full workout in the mornings? and then do the Python thing in the evenings? I don't really know what work is required for that so it's hard to tell. As for sandwiches, peanut butter does not need to be refrigerated so you could try that...or any nut butter really. I mean not every day, but it helps. Doing veggie sandwiches will be easier to keep from spoilage than meat ones.

On your sweet binge issue. Make a pledge to us that you will tell us when you eat something sweet. Then follow through. One thing I do is eat some but only a little. Earlier this week someone brought in a HUGE bag full of haloween sized Smartie boxes. In the past I could have and would have eaten at least half of this bag. This time I tried to resist and succeeded for a while, but the temptation was taking over and I knew I would snap soon. So I had one box. I recorded the 45 calories in MFP and stopped there. I was satisfied and didn't need any more. I don't think that works for everyone, but I have a huge sweet tooth and I find if I don't let it sink into something good every so often I end up coming out of 7-11 with $20 worth of CRAP and eating it all in an hour.

I don't think I was clear, sorry. I don't really need help with the sweets thing as it's one of my goals. I feel I can keep myself in check with that. It's the overeating of my meals. Like last night I had a huge dinner and I didn't need to eat all of that. I tend to go overboard and snack...even on healthy things. Basically, I don't want to use my goal as an excuse to eat more of the healthy stuff.

Edited by Devyn

There isn't really any required reading. The course is all based on video lectures available online. I'm going to be trying to go light or fully dataless as my roaming charges are bad. So doing the lectures in line won't really work out. Other than that the course involves quizzes (also based online and requiring the online coding environment set up) and a coding project. None of which I can really do from anywhere but a computer. So it'll likely be a morning and evening thing. Possibly by the pool or some other fun spot. Also if I figure out to make the coding environment available offline I might be able to do some of the work while flying (Although that would cut into comic reading time :)).

Are you eating more because you are hungry, or just because you can or you want to? Really listen to your body.

I eat more because I'm bored or because something tastes good or I get cravings. I know I should listen to my body, but I have a nasty habit of telling my body to kindly shut up. It's getting over that mental block I put on myself when I know I shouldn't do something.

I read a quotation somewhere that changed my life and how I eat. "Hunger is not an emergency." When I'm hungry and I'm fasting, I repeat that saying. When I'm "starving" and I sit down to demolish a meal, I repeat that saying. It's helped me tremendously. Sometimes you have take a step back, realize that your baser nature is talking, and use your rational mind to slow yourself down.

You might already do this, but if not, try a standing toe touch. Once you've reached the limit of your range, contract your hams for a couple of seconds and relax. You should gain on your previous limit. Do this repeatedly. You will hit a limit, but over time this will work, and it's not forced. Had a therapist show me that one.

I try to eat until I'm satisfied and then stop for a half an hour. A lot of times I won't go back for more because I've lost my momentum. It's not perfect because sometimes I'm watching the minute hand...

RDLs! You're already doing the single leg deadlift, yes? That'll help too. Hanging leg lifts to strengthen the core.

I also found starting on the parallel bars (sub in chairs if no PBs maybe?) very helpful.

You might already do this, but if not, try a standing toe touch. Once you've reached the limit of your range, contract your hams for a couple of seconds and relax. You should gain on your previous limit. Do this repeatedly. You will hit a limit, but over time this will work, and it's not forced. Had a therapist show me that one.

True that. Thanks. Yeah, these are standards that I just need to keep doing.

True that. Thanks. Yeah, these are standards that I just need to keep doing.

Usually hamsting flexibility will not limit you in an L-sit. Static flexibility work does not work particularly well for developing active flexibility, there is surprisingly little crossover (the same is true of the splits and a straddle). Range is developed by strengthening the antagonist muscles, in the case of an L-sit, the abs and flexors. A lot of times the body will release muscle tightness when you fire the antagonist muscles (ex in the standing toe touch stretch, flex your quads and you should get a little lower). As your abs and flexors get stronger, the height of your legs in a L-sit should rise. You can start out doing them hanging, either reps, holds, or reps+holds, to build up the strength to do them on the floor or on low parallael bars (or other hand holds).

Thanks, Waldo. Is it strange for me to enjoy hanging straight-leg raises? Am I crazy? Well I do enjoy them. I'm able to get above 90 degrees (slightly). It's good that I enjoy them, because now I will put more in the workouts! And I have noticed I can extend my legs from a tucked L-sit more than I used to.

And I'm guessing eventually the strength is there to lift into an L-sit with straight legs (not extending from a tuck).