• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

emptyknight

Training the Mind

michaelramm had the idea to start an accountability group based around training our minds as hard as we train our bodies. Anyone from any guild may join this group, just please be committed to completing the 6 week challenge. Don't leave us hanging or we will stalk you!

The idea here is to pick activities that help you focus/learn/be creative. These can be daily, weekly, or across the 6 weeks of the challenge. Post what you are doing, how you are planning on achieving it, and post results later, and we will help you stay accountable.

For instance, this week I'm reading the autobiography of Nelson Mandela, listening to back episodes of a philosophy podcast, and trying to stick to a morning meditation routine. I'll let you know how I'm doing as the week goes on.

So this week I kept myself accountable and kept doing my reading. It's a very enjoyable book, and I'm learning a lot about the last hundred years or so of the history of South Africa. And I did learn quite a bit about Plato and Descartes from my podcast listening. So it's been a good week. How did you do?

This week we not great. I altered my Goal 4 to include professional reading as well as personal development reading. I read a good bit in the professional book (a book to help me get an IT Certification that I have been wanting). I have not read in my Obj-C book mainly because it is programming and I need to be at my machine to try out the code that I am learning about. So that is a small barrier to that book.

I printed out all the meditation resources that RandomWanderer sent me and plan to read over them over Thanksgiving and try to start a meditative routine on the Monday after. (Also, I sent you a PM...check it!!).

I am not much into Philosophy and such (and Buddhism may stretch me as well), but I think meditation may be what I need to start calming my mind to start the day and before I go to bed.

Well, I've just gotten here after a week and a half of struggling with personal stuff. Nothing major, just my own frustration, and the feeling that maybe I'm just losing the will to fight for the life I want. I'm not sure how to reverse that. As part of my efforts, though, I'm adding a new stage in my daily routine - a 10 minute daily agenda review. I've tried this as a 6-week challenge goal in the past, but didn't stay with it afterward, but planning is something that I need to get a handle on. I'm also following your lead and adding daily readings. If you wouldn't mind pointing me to your preferred meditation resources as well, I'd love it. Let's get some!

You are more than welcome to join us anytime in training your mind.

I will forward you the message that RandomWanderer sent to me. I have printed out most of the material he sent and will be reading it over Thanksgiving.

I have dabbled in the productivity realms for over 5 years, so if you have any questions about improving workflows, focusing on what you need to, getting things done, etc. please do not hesitate to ask.

Glad to have you aboard!