Fearkiller's challenge to reclaim manliness and honour!

Fearkiller

Should I continue the "Oh so Delightingly Random Awesome"?  

1. 1. Should I continue the "Oh so Delightingly Random Awesome"?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Waiting to see if it gets better.

First: The goals from previous challenge did not become a habit, so it’s a tabula rasa again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 years, staggering 3 months into a 3.5 year School of Business-student at Polytechnic. (includes e.g. marketing, basic business principles, shorthand, mathematics). Had to do something, so I’m going through this and waiting for an idea about what to do with my life. If any ideas do not hit during the 3.5 years, I’ll at least have some ground in the job market. I don’t exactly go squeee when waking up Monday morning. And I don’t want to focus solely on studies and notice in the end, that yes, I got the education, but it cost me wasted 3,5 years and my dreams.

So, due to general lack of homework organizational skills and wasting time on the Internet, I haven’t cleared out exactly how I did in my first challenge.

But the general picture is bad enough for me not to be happy with the results (too small “talk vs. actually-did-stuffâ€-ratio).

So I’m at level 1 despite the fact I’ve attended one challenge already.

Humbler but still enthusiastic, here we go!

[presses the big red button]

Fearkiller, Human Adventurer

Stats: STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 1 CHA: 3 WIS: 5

----------------------------------------

Goals:

Life level up:

I: Fearkilling: Find and do genuinely scary things. +1 WIS for every success (because I know it’s good for me)

After clearing one, I’ll pick the next that scares me the most at the moment. This far on the ideas list:

Challenge me!

First Aid course (at Polytechnic 22.11., 26.11. and 4.12)

Red Cross blood donation (22.11.2012 Thursday 13-18)

To be able to speak English (I actually can, quite fluent in fact, the greatest barrier -again- being my shyness and fear of failure). One option would be a “Speak englishâ€-course at Polytechnic –there has previously been held a few, but they were discontinued because too few took them. Possibly I must drive the idea forward myself –eep!

Maybe talking English with my friends... At least one will probably agree.

Find some new clothes that fit my style –now if I also knew something about style and what goes with what. I was, after all, going to go to my confirmation wearing a suit and a pair of sneakers! Luckily I was caught at home door... xD

Life level up:

Learn the Art of Time Management: +2 WIS, +1 CHA (WIS knowing myself, CHA more time for family and stuff I really enjoy)

Pinpoint and get rid of the stuff that’s eating your time and giving no contentment (=long term happiness)in return. E.g.

-Surfing the net in vain (Tvtropes the biggest here)

-Procrastination (trying to find time for two hours of schoolwork/day)

Not sure how though...

Well, those were the biggest threats

Fitness:

My Brains Will Love This (Working out): -Yay, endorphines! Str +1, Dex +1, Con +1, Cha +1 (affects nearly every aspect of life)

During the first and second week into the challenge:

Buy the NF fitness guide (either put up your own PayPal-account or find someone with one to buy it for me). If not happening by second week’s Wednesday, start building my own workout using Steves article, The Definitive Guide for Parkour for Beginners and a book about parkour which I happen to have (and I’m going to be careful, I know I can’t learn it reading books).

Weeks three, four, five and six: following the plan to see if it works.

Diet:

Fuel for Courage CHA +1, CON +1 (vitamins)

Eat a healthy* meal 2 times a week, preferably the days I work out, but not carved in stone.

* Paleo, with dairy though.

Got to say I’m probably taking more than I can swallow.

But the Fearkilling and Time management are the most important ones, other goals just accompany them.

PS. Poke me on "Oh so delightingly random"-project sometime...

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

sounds like a plan! remember, if you forget to follow your goals for a few days - or a week - just come back. you can get partial credit in real life. if you fail to workout for a week - that doesn't mean you should stop!

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Renaming the project "Oh so Delightingly Random Awesome."

Rule Three: "The happiest people act like no one is watching."

From: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7163158/3/Artemis-s-Rules

(Suitable for more mature childen, 9 years and older, with minor action violence without serious injury.

May contain mild coarse language. Should not contain any adult themes.)

And immediately thought of this:

(It's a clip from the film Bandits, it has one swearword at 1:00-1:05

and a little before the end the man pulls a handgun from the glove compartment.

In the clip nobody gets threatened with it.)

The point is that Kate is definitively having fun. And fun is always... well, fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time management:

Got to start somewhere, so I'll hang a big sheet of paper to my wall and mark everything I need to do

in the next few weeks. Had similar thing once, and it worked. Can't remember why I abandoned it.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

I mentioned to my teacher who teaches Swedish that I'd like to find a course for speaking English, and one of the students said he would be willing to help!

Going to send him E-mail... now! So I can't back off. Wonderful, how things work out on their own, isn't it?

Going to talk with my family about the budget for those healthy meals and it can really start.

Time Management:

I have a test to read for, 35 pages/day*6 days = 210 pages (next Thursday) It's about basic business principles,

and it's not that I wouldn't understand it, but it's boring!

I have a big motivator -of sorts-. If I don't pass, I'll have to retake the whole (boring) course!

But how I can force myself to learn if it does not spark any interest?

Ugh...

Grinning random throughout the day, when I remember this challenge.

Is that bad? :)

POUNCE! There you are!

Ooh, idea for your business course. Imagine you are running a really interesting business, like a shipping company in space, and apply what you're learning to that fantasy construct.

And yay for tackling the English thing head-on.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Right... so for time management, have you tried google calendar? or a to do list app? or a list in ink on the back of your hand? Foe homework and such, what worked for me was: small rewards!!! Studying for 2 hours n a row can be counter productive as your ability to focus gets compromised. Do 4 reps of 30 minutes instead... give it a 10 or 15 min break in between... You may ask... but shoobie, what shall i ever do in these breaks???? reward yourself!! check facebook, watch a youtube video, answer to this post, do burpees or squats or whatnot....

If you have a set schedule, try doing it more or less at the same time of the say... makes it easier to create a habit!

Cheers!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

POUNCE! There you are!

I'm sure it's positive, I've just never heard anyone say like that before. Therefore ???

Never had an over-exuberant gal-friend pop out of nowhere and glomp you? It's a good thing, and you can have a full life if it never happens.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Eep, the First-Aid course starts today and after that I have the blood donation!

Breathebreathebreathe

The FA requires 100% participation (no missed lessons), so I can't flee -and I won't!

Had enough of that stuff! Yes, I mean YOU,

the part of me which would like to stay nice and quiet in a corner!

Oh, wasn't that dramatic! I have tendency for that when writing in english.

Throw in more stuff that scares or has scared you, and I'll see if it matches with my fears.

If it does, I'll put it into the list (hoping that me doing the stuff posted will help anyone else to do it too).

Oh so delightingly random:

Art of Manliness

http://artofmanliness.com/

Has a lot of useful, cool and manly stuff!

(Not meaning it wouldn't fit ladies too.)

1) The Workout Plan

I can devote two one-hour sessions a week (although if it takes more to get a good form, so be it).

Will consist of:

Warm-up:

Jumping Jacks, Bipedal, Running and whatnot I'll come across with.

Exercises:

*Pick one of each category but not the same twice in a row*

(current maximum o a best of days)

Arms/back:

Push-Ups: 3 sets of 10

Pull-Ups: 1 set of 1

Chin-Ups: 1 set of 0,5

Core/Abs:

Plank 3 sets of 45 seconds

Leg Lifts: 3 sets of 20

Sit-Ups: 3 sets of 10

Legs:

Step-Ups (with a few pounds of weight in a backpack) 3 sets of 20

Slow Ducks (rise to your toes and then slowly lower down so that your butt touches your heels -keep as long as you want)

3 sets of 10 seconds

Cooldown:

Steady, slow breathing ("Semi-Meditation") and calm streching of the muscles used.

Accompanied by two healthy meals/week, with a budget of 15 € (18 $)/week. Cheap protein/price-products would be cheese, beans, discount meat, eggs, tuna...

Random veggies/fruits to bring colour.

2) The First-Aid course was fun, even when I were the first to be a demonstrative piece for a pressure bandage.

And the situational comedy is sometimes really good =) I need to find an old sheet and make a lot of bandages out of it. I bet our family will look like

victims of an industrial accident :D

3) The blood donation failed for now, there wasn't enough time passed since my last surgical operation (less than 4 months),

but I will try again 13th December (still fits into the challenge -yes!) On a side note, my mom donated, and considered becoming a

regular donator too!

4) Time management:

The Basic Business Operations-test went well, going to pass. But I only read one hour/day when I aimed for two.

5) Fearkilling:

I personally think swearing -especially in public, but alone too- is a nasty habit, and I am going dump it.

How? I thought about having to do five push ups every time a **** or such would escape my lips.

As soon as it does not dirty my clothes or I'm not in a queque where it'd hinder others etc.,

I hit the deck and casually give five full push-ups.

Either I get stronger or I learn to watch my language. And either way,

I'll be afraid. Win-win-win.

I've thought of this, and although it'd definitively make some people embarrassed

and some avoid me, if I during this make friends,

I'd know they don't think too highly of the social glimmer and what other people think of.

People are bound to get curious!

Oh so Delightíngly Random Awesome:

Sometimes you just think of stuff

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/HomePage?from=Main.Headscratchers

I guess wasting working hours is not approved, but you can always say it improves

your cognitive skills -don't quote me on court :D

I'll update after the weekend, but haven't given up!

Preferring longer posts with more time in between.

This is a lousy smartphone keyboard, so enter does not work (must edit later).

The Push-Ups for swearing experiment is going well, it has indeed happened six times this far, but not in a especially crowded place.

It sure feels out of the ordinary, but it's astounding how few people actually notice... Let's see as this continues how does the number of whitnesses grow.

I would need more exercises to go with this, as my ability to do push-ups drop after the 6th set of 5 in three days dropped drastically.. 15-second planks surely, any other ideas?

Worth noting I get quite magnificent "happy kicks" out of it ;)

One workout done:

Warm-up:

200 jumping jacks,

exercises:

3x10 push ups,

3x45 second plank

3x10 ten-second slow ducks

cooldown

2x45 second streches for legs and

2x15 for abs and back.

From the push ups about 20 % were good form, the rest butt-up-elbows-flailing-here-and-there low-grade ones and the last 3x10 bad form knees-down pushies.

The other exercises went better, planks decently and slow ducks actually well. And, the effort was there, and I felt slightly sore yesterday (two days later) so I did something right there.

One healthy meal this week done (cabbage soup) and it turned out quite edible, given it's a first time I've done it myself. Had plenty of meat (=protein).

Time management: I have a lot of schoolwork to do, that didn't get done during the week, but if I get those done today, it's 50% success in T.M. this week.

Part outfit/part fearkilling:

Could I wear NF-t-shirts as regular clothing (given I some day could afford one)? They are fashionable -why not wear what you think? I would have to rember I represent the rebellion though,

so if I'd be having a bad day, I couldn't give people who happen to irritate me a reason to connect my negativity with the rebellion. Other than that, what's stopping me?

Push-ups for swearing and working out conflict: if I do the swearing goal, it reduces the quality of my push ups (or any other back/abs/arms excercise) when I work out. And because the push-ups done randomly come without warm-up, they're worse than the ones during the "official" workout. The idea of some swift punishment right after swearing is good, exercising just didn't fit. Some have used a "swearing jar", which is a jar where you put a decided amount of money for every ****. Right now 1 $. Let's try, it might work...

Bonus points if I get the whole family do it :D It would still be a conflicting goal if it eats up too much money from the healthy meals budget but let's worry about that later.

Oh no, just realized it would not be scary.

Brainstorming, anyone?

-----------------------------------------------

Speaking of a workout, one's coming today, or tomorrow in the latest.

I'm really looking forward to it,

because every time I notice

I feel sore after one, it reminds me of the fact I did it.

That's a good positive reinforcement, if there ever has been any!

Yes! Warm up: 2x100 jumping jacks and 2x10 plank only burpees exercises: three circuits of: 10 push-ups, 45 second plank and 25 step-ups with 6,8 kg (~14 pounds) of weight in a backpack (I used the weight only with step ups) and cooldown 2x45 second streches directly after the workout for all but one part of my legs, and the one left without a warm up in between writing this. 4x20 for back. The strech for abs didn't... Well, strech out. I say the form of push-ups was better, because there wasn't the additional stress of the swearing punishment goal, but I miss the happy kicks I got from it... Planks decent and step ups did their job. None of these (save the leg streches) had even a good form, let alone perfect, but then again, I'm no perfect either... :) For protein a 150g tuna can, no healthy meals this far. Got no school tomorrow or friday, so looking forward to beans, bacon, rice and eggs mix. Hmmm... No idea how it will taste like, but can't kill me... The first part of the first aid course is over, but I have no clue if I can continue it or if it's reserved only for nurse-students. It was too small of a course (16 hours total) for such a large field as first-aid, so I might have to take an another similar course or ask the teacher extra time to practice the kiss-of-life to save the doll :D Haven't seen the student who said would be helping with the English-thing, but it ain't a dead project. He has shown an interest, but the meetings aren't arranged yet.

Oh so Delightingly Random Awesome: I met the curator I had several sessions with in high-school. She magnificently helped me clear some problems I had then and I happened to notice her as I was walking to school yesterday. Some afternoon when I have time I will go for a visit and personally hand her a big bunch of flowers, roses maybe?

Good idea! I dunno how it goes there... wherever you are... but in Brazil red roses means you are in love and want to get somewhere else... so i'd advise for white or yellow or pink...

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

As a mistake, that certainly would be rather awkward :D I need to look up what different flowers mean here in Finland.

The second workout and healthy meal didn't happen. I had a sore spot in both thighs, don't know why. I bet it was too much load with step-ups.

That does not cover it though, I could've done push-ups and leg-raises just fine...

------------------------

Time management: Fat lot of good it does indeed to put the presentation into the to-do sheet two days before the due date -which is today!

I must ask the teacher for more time... Can't really do that either, already missed one... This is not going well! No other days to do this.

My ways cannot continue like this! Not doing this, not doing that, Blah Blah Blah!

Always few minutes late from lessons.

Realized it shows lack of respect for everyone and even worse disrespect for the teacher!

I do not spit to floors or any of that stupid, idiotic stuff,

but I feel almost as bad as for not doing what I'm assigned for...

And I know it's just I'm lazy! It's not that I don't care about my studies.

After all, she's doing her part teaching me, and I do ... ... ... yeah...

Conscience is a pain sometimes.

Truth does not always taste good, but it doesn't make it false.

Just hoping that she'll understand and this doesn't ruin the whole course...

PS. Just some pressure... Quite a rant, that was.

Just hoping that she'll understand and this doesn't ruin the whole course...

It won't, if I get two presentations next Monday... It's an off-the-record-lesson, so I'll be presenting it only to the teacher.

I'm relieved and ashamed at the same time.

Relieved it's not a one shot chance, ashamed I couldn't pull it off.

And ashamed it is only to the teacher, there's no real challenge in it.

Thus no real honour achieved when I do it.

-----------------------------------

Fearkilling: blood donation Thursday 13th

-----------------------------------

Blood donation failed again, because of school and a christmas family event. Next donation is December 27th, so it won't fit into the challenge. However, I managed to eat 95 % healthy in the christmas dinner, so that's one down! Did a workout today: Warm-up 2x100 jumping jacks and 2x10 no-push-up-burpees Exercises: 3x10 push-ups, 3x45 second planks and 3x20 lunges (10 each foot) Cooldown: 2x45 second strech for legs, 2x20 sec for abs and back. One informal "speak english meeting" done, and I improved my english just during an hour! Next meeting has been arranged too. Seems that I need either a new outfit, or new Fearkilling goals. Hmm... I've honestly forgot to track my time management goals, and can't say how well they have went... There's still some things to do, and I'll base my next weeks time management progress on how much I can do homework: read to swedish test (next thursday), and how much I can practice shorthand during the week, and how many assingments can I do (they all should be done in the end of next week, 4+calculator and writing 3000 words worth of shorthand daily (counting all texts I produce on a computer)). Because goals couldn't be altered after the two weeks, this chunk of homework surely takes more than two hours a day.

POOF! :D

D**n dangerous thing an internet connection is! Thought just to check if there were replies here, and then kinda drifted to the Epic Quests-section... "Just one... Oh that looks like a fun title... Just one... Oh wait, there's something good... Just this one- hey, look at that -wow!" Looking the clock - what, 01.00, argh! At least that was inspiring stuff! Finding time somewhere, I will post my own "list of stuff to do before I die"! WOHOO! PS. What are your ways of getting over sleep-deficit days?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines