• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spezzy's HarderBetterFasterStronger Challenge

Spezzy's February Challenge!

Since I always need a theme for some reason, this month's theme:
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

About me:
Most of you already know me. For those of you who don't, I'm Spezzy. I've been through the whole weight loss thing, losing about 50lbs, and now I'm focusing on becoming as strong and awesome as possible. This will be my seventh challenge.

I like:
-barbells
-burpees
-paleo

I dislike:
-running
-moderation
-"I can't"

Goals:
1) Harder
I'm been focusing on two things the past few months: lifting a lot and eating a lot.

And because of that, I'm turning into a dumpling. I'm about 4% fatter than I was before, which actually has come quite useful as it's been quite cold here, but its time to cut the fat.

How I'm planning on doing this:
*Well, for starters, stop stuffing my face every second I can get. This should be somewhat easy as eating the amount that I eat gets somewhat tiresome.
*Second, I'll be adding more metcon type stuff to my workouts.

Challenges that will arise:
I <3 beer. And bacon.

2) Better
So, life goals here, which I'm going to keep quite simple.
a) Do the dishes every day. I always let them go too long, and get a huge pile of them.
B) Keep my car clean. My car always ends up being a huge mess of gym clothes, empty protein shakes, and other random crap. I'd like to be able to take passengers at any given notice without having to move things. I have a deep clean of my car planned tomorrow.
c) Keep up with my finance goals from previous months. Every month since I've started this I've been able to pay off a credit card. Lets pay off another one this month. :)

a) Setting aside 10 minutes at the end of the night before bed to quickly do the dishes, or, if I'm ambitious, right after dinner.
B) When I get home from work, taking everything I've brought with me and all trash I've accumulated from the car into the house.
c) Follow my budget. Continue to use mint.com, since it's been helping.

a) I fucking hate doing the dishes.
B) I've never been able to do this in my entire life. EVER. This will be more of a habit forming item than anything.
c) i <3 beer. :)

3) Faster
runningggggg. ugh. I know, don't create a goal you hate, right?

Well last month I wanted to run 2011 meters a day. I didn't do it, because I couldn't force myself to do something that I hated that much. But I need to simply get better at running.

So, since it's 2-2011 (February, 2011) lets try to run 2011 meters twice a week. As quickly as possible.

Also, tying into my first goal, jump squats, burpees, etc - will all help me get faster.

*Going to try to do this at lunch at work, or on off days for lifting. It should take under ten minutes, so I should be able to fit this one in.
*Make a running playlist of however many songs will get me through the 2011 meters. That should only be like four or five songs. I can run for four or five songs, right?

*I detest running. Work exhausts me.

4) Stronger
I want to improve all of my lifts, but specifically deadlift, squat, press, bench press, and power clean.

I'm going to be conservative with numbers as I'm going to be focusing on a lot of metcon type stuff and not eating insane amounts.

Deadlift - its about time I hit 2x bw on these, isn't it?
Current: 275x1. 215x5x5
Goal: 285x1 (280 is 2xbw), 225x5x5.

Squat -
Current: 175x1, 155x5x5
Goal: 190x1, 170x5x5

Bench Press -

Current: 115x1, 95x5x5
Goal: 125x1, 105x5x5

Press - my shoulders are a weak point and prone to injury. Gotta be careful here.
Current: 85x2
Goal: 95x1, 75x5x5
I'd also like to be able to do 15 wall climbs in a row (currently at five) and hold a handstand for 30 seconds (not assisted) but those are side goals

Power Clean - still working on perfecting my form on these. getting there though.
Current: 105x1, 95x5x5
Goal: 115x1, 105x5x5

I'm also going to focus on snatches and overhead squats, but i think I need to get my shoulders really solid before I seriously focus on them.

*I'll be coming up with a basic plan to follow, which I'll post when its done, but I don't like to get too specific as I think changing it up all the time helps, and I like to listen to what my body wants to do that day. If I do the exact same thing every time I find I stop getting gains.
*Seriously working on my flexibility and stretching. That will help me overall with being able to lift more.

*My shoulder likes to injure, and my wrists have been iffy.
*I'm not nearly flexible enough. (see how i'm planning on doing this section :) )

right, so that should keep me busy enough.

EDIT: just realized i didnt set a bench press goal. must change that.:) Edited by spezzy

Um, wow. My list pales in comparison to yours, though I completely understand the shoulder thing. My goals reflect going for that. Turkish getups!

So on goal #3, why not do sprinting instead? Gets you faster, without any thought of this, well, fucking running. (though if we lived in a universe where zombies existed, I totally understand this whole running phenomenon. Without zombies, well....)

Um, wow. My list pales in comparison to yours, though I completely understand the shoulder thing. My goals reflect going for that. Turkish getups!

So on goal #3, why not do sprinting instead? Gets you faster, without any thought of this, well, fucking running. (though if we lived in a universe where zombies existed, I totally understand this whole running phenomenon. Without zombies, well....)

i think sprinting would be totally useful for zombies, actually :)

and i'm thinking some of this will be sprinting/walking, but since we have mountains and mountains of snow right now, outside really isn't an option (they even gave up on the 'clear the sidewalks' rule a few snowstorms ago) so i'll be doing all of this on a treadmill, and i hate sprinting on treadmills (actually, i hate doing ANYTHING on treadmills).

as soon as it gets nice out i can start sprinting outside again, and i won't mind it.

i'm pretty sure i can even use the hurdles on the outdoor track at the school i have a gym membership at - but again, that's once it gets nice out :)

B) Keep my car clean. My car always ends up being a huge mess of gym clothes, empty protein shakes, and other random crap. I'd like to be able to take passengers at any given notice without having to move things. I have a deep clean of my car planned tomorrow.

Spezzy,

I'm totally the same way. My fiance and friends get really frustrated cause we never take my car since I always have stuff all over my seats. Between two jobs and school and the gym, I practically live out of my car. Good luck with this. I completely cleaned out my car for the new year and while it is much better it's starting to accumulate some things again. If I clean it out in the next day or two though I won't have gotten to the point of not being able to take passengers! And I'm the same way with dishes. That's why at my house if you cook you don't clean and so I ALWAYS cook!

Jen

Spezzy,

I'm totally the same way. My fiance and friends get really frustrated cause we never take my car since I always have stuff all over my seats. Between two jobs and school and the gym, I practically live out of my car. Good luck with this. I completely cleaned out my car for the new year and while it is much better it's starting to accumulate some things again. If I clean it out in the next day or two though I won't have gotten to the point of not being able to take passengers! And I'm the same way with dishes. That's why at my house if you cook you don't clean and so I ALWAYS cook!

Jen

haha i so WISH i had someone else to make that deal with, I would also always cook.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with the car issue. I leave the house at 6:45am and typically don't get home till 8 or 9pm... so stuff just PILES up.

You've got to give up this Ranger lark and come back to the Warriors where you belong! ;)

:)

trust me, the warrior in me will never be gone. i'll just be a... fast warrior.

yes, thats it :)

dear everyone:

i'd like you to meet the ceiling of my gym.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]151[/ATTACH]

ceiling - meet everyone.

we got to know eachother quite a bit at the end of today's workout. :)

ok, so. i KNOW the challenge doesn't start until tomorrow, but my challenges never really end. also, it's already tomorrow in dantesland, so. im justifying it with that.

And I hit a goal already, so I might as well post my workout log here instead of in my January challenge thread.

so we're going to be revamping my powerclean goals (which were, honestly, way too conservative anyways, because i wasnt sure about my form and all of that, but i got it now, so we're good to increase the weight on)

which, also, on my second powerclean, i ripped open my thumb AGAIN so I kept having to hold papertowels on my hand in between sets to stop the bleeding. don't worry, i scrubbed the bar with the cleaning stuff when i was done :)

powerclean

75x5

85x5

95x5

105x5

115x1 - goal

105x1

100x5x5 - new PR

hangclean/front squat (basically 5 hang cleans and then on the last hang clean leave the bar up and do 5 front squats)

75x5x5

front squat-5 (cleaned these up, but that doesnt really matter)

95x2

dip

12x5 - 12 in a row is a new PR for me. yes!

4x2

burpees

10x5

getups

20x5

(those i did 10 burpees, 20 getups, 10 burpees, 20 getups... etc)

next in line for today: car cleaning and prepping food for the week.

oh, and i'll be cooking goat for the first time. *scared*

post-335-13567242851861_thumb.jpg

Edited by spezzy

dip

12x5 - 12 in a row is a new PR for me. yes!

4x2

Wow...so I'm really impressed with this. I want to be able to do dips and pull ups so badly. Spezzy I need you to come to Jersey and kick my ass so that I can rock these workouts that you do! I know small steps and I'll get there but when I have to use the assisted machine and I'm not doing even half my body weight I don't feel like I'm every going to get there!

Jen

Pretty comprehensive plan you got there. I like the run 2011 meters goal. Are you going to that in December and run 2011 meters 12 times a week?

hahaha! yeah right. january's goal was 2011 meters a day, so i've scaled back a bit to something way more reasonable.

maybe december will be run 2011 meters twelve times. we'll see :)

Wow...so I'm really impressed with this. I want to be able to do dips and pull ups so badly. Spezzy I need you to come to Jersey and kick my ass so that I can rock these workouts that you do! I know small steps and I'll get there but when I have to use the assisted machine and I'm not doing even half my body weight I don't feel like I'm every going to get there!

Jen

oh, pullups - i'm not even there yet, but honestly, i haven't focused on them, so i have no one to blame that on but myself.

and dips are hard! i mean, think about it - you're essentially lifting your bodyweight.

it took me a while to actually be able to do real ones (doing real ones were actually a part of my october challenge), i never used the assisted machine. i actually HATE the assisted machine.

i started off with bench dips... lots of them. then did what i called "cage dips" - because id get in the cage and put my feet up while i did them. (but you could also use two benches for that)

then i put weight on my lap when i did those.

after a while i was finally able to do one or two real dips, so i'd do those and finish out my sets with the weighted cage dips.

hoping to be able to hit 15 in a row soon, which is when i'm planning on adding weight to them :D

so i'm currently omnoming on some goat curry stew that i just made.

first time ever cooking goat. randomly stumbled upon it in the grocery store and said 'hey, why not'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]152[/ATTACH]

came out pretty awesome.

other than that, car's pretty much clean except for a few things i need to bring with me to my mom's this weekend, and the dishes are done, so i can start with a clean slate tomorrow.

excited to start up tomorrow :)

post-335-13567242852271_thumb.jpg

so i'm currently omnoming on some goat curry stew that i just made.

first time ever cooking goat. randomly stumbled upon it in the grocery store and said 'hey, why not'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]152[/ATTACH]

came out pretty awesome.

Share the recipe! It looks delicious, I wonder if they have goat around here though. I love game-y meats.

Share the recipe! It looks delicious, I wonder if they have goat around here though. I love game-y meats.

I randomly found it, didn't expect to find it, so I bought it while I could :)

Aaaand this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-best-of/curry-goat-recipe/index.html

is what I followed, only with a few modifications.

Left the bone in, and I used more coconut milk and less water.

And no thyme, because I didn't have that.

Tip: don't touch your eyes after cutting up the scotch bonnett peppers. :)

1/31 workout log!

not a best showing for day one, due to not enough sleep and poor nutrition (not enough) yesterday, and waking up late so not having nearly enough time. still pretty happy with how it went though.

press shoulders were tired today, and really wanted to focus on OH squats and snatches, so cut this short

30x5

45x5

60x5

75x2

oh squat/snatch basically - snatch it into overhead position, then squat five times. a few times i lost my balance (still working on perfect form on the OH squat) and had to snatch it back up to finish the set.

45x3

45x5

65x5

75x5

75x4

65x5x2

70x5x5 new pr

snatch

70lbs, just played around with these. really focused on trying to get under the bar at the right time.

squat

45x5

95x5

125x5

145x5

165x3

175x1

185x1 new pr

195 attempt but MASSIVE failure.

bb crunch

50x3

Edited by spezzy

ok. summary from 1/31:

1) Harder:

didn't eat any crap, probably not enough due to going out after work.

took starting measurements. i don't really want to post these (and i'm so not even close to ready to join the starting photo club, sorry guys :) ), but um. itll keep me honest, and im not really sure of a much better way to measure this one (and goals need to be measurable, right?)

though ideally, i guess i'd like to fit back into my size 0's (finally had to pull the 2's out of the closet mid last challenge). though i'm not sure that's entirely possible at the rate my quads have been growing. and i'd rather be stronger and wear a 2 than weaker and wear a 0.

i did get my bf% checked with the pinchy things 2 weeks ago and it was 20%. getting it checked again in 2 weeks (part of a thing at work where they check it every month for a few months...) so we'll see what they say there, but since it was started before the challenge started and being checked mid challenge, its not much of a help.

so, here goes:

weight: 140.8

shoulders: 40"

bust: 35.5

waist: 26.5

hips: 37.5 (at widest point, at the hip bone its like 32.25. yes, im awkwardly shaped)

thigh: 21.5

calf: 15

2) Better:

a) dishes done

B) brought everything in from car when i got home

c) i'm not going to be updating this one daily, as i can't make daily progress on it :)

3) Faster:

no running

4) Stronger:

workout log above, even though it wasn't the strongest showing, i hit 2 new PR's

Edited by spezzy

haha but they're fun!

at least, the first like. five. and then the rest make you want to cry :)

#47 is where they start to get painful

#63 you start to think that you are going to die

#85 you realize you ARE dead and are being punished for all your misdeeds in life

I know the awkward shaped feeling. Lat time I got measured for a costume (only 6 weeks ago mind you) the lady took my skirt length measurement, then took my hip measurement, cleaned her glasses, took it again, sighed, then took it a 3rd time. Repeat process for arms, ribcage and bust. Thankfully it was a two piece costume, so no waist measurement to deal with.

ooo see i'd be happier with a costume that required a waist measurement but not a hip measurement, like, say, a sundress :)

i have a ton of issues with pants, because in order to get them big enough to fit over my thighs, they are then too big to fit right at my hip/waist.

and belts dont help at all :)

ok so.

off day today for any type of workouts.

we're getting massive amounts of snow, didnt move my car at all, so therefore, its still clean :D

did the dishes.

and did some stretching a few minutes ago.