• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Martinpanduh

Martinpanduh's Rangerous February 2011 Challenge!

Name:

Martinpanduh

About Me:

My name is Martin, I'm 22 from the Philippines. I think this is my fourth challenge now? Either fourth or fifth, I'm not entirely sure. It's been a great ride so far and I hope this community grows with all of us along with it. I used to be a varsity rower for my university, pretty serious but we'd only place within South East Asia (height handicaps are a serious barrier, like most sports).

Rowing used to be a big part of my life, before I started it 4 years ago. I was 250lbs and seriously sedentary. I joined the team, eventually became the captain and lost 50+ pounds in the process. At my lightest, I was 193lbs standing at 5'10. Right now, I'm hovering over 204-6 and have been struggling ever since. Though some of it (I'd like to think) is muscle I've put on (compared to me back then, I wasn't very muscular compared to the me now, except for my legs). So here we are at the present day, I'm 206 pounds, without a boat or a rowing machine in sight, switched to Paleo and chugging along to my ultimate goal weight of 180lbs!

For proof (and epicness) of my previous exploits, I posted that video. I guess for Crossfit enthusiasts, you'll recognize that thing as a rowing machine. This was during our best season in Malaysia, this was taken during a 2000 meter four-person relay, fastest time to finish wins. We went into this thinking we were just going to play around but we ended up felling giants! Literally. Incidentally, around this time I was at my lightest. 2009 SIGH. Oh and if you watched it, please excuse my face and my incredibly short shorts HAHA. I'm the one who's seated and okay, winks right at the very start. Anyway!

On to my goals!

- Continue my StrongLifts 5x5 Program. At current standing, I am at 145 + bar Squat and 170 + bar Deadlift etc. Basically I just want to hit the bar I set last challenge of not missing a single 5x5 session (3 times a week) in the next 28 days.

- Increase cardio capacity: currently I run for 20 minutes at a speed that leaves me panting at the end of it all. Around 10kph/12kph if I had to put a number on it. My challenge this month is to increase my running capacity from 20 minutes to 30 minutes. I plan to do this by running at least twice a week and putting in an extra 2 minutes each time. By my 6th run, I'd easily make my target!

- Increase proficiency in body weight exercises: in-between workouts of my StrongLifts 5x5, I try to put in some Pull-ups to accelerate my arm muscle growth. Right now I can do three sets of 3 pull-ups, looking to increase this in the incoming challenge to 4x3 then eventually 5x3 whenever I hit the gym. Ultimately, I want to be able to do 5 pull-ups in a set.

- The inevitable, lost some weight and eat healthier: so like I said, I'm 206lbs and I don't know if this is setting the bar a little too high but I'd like to hit 200 or at least 202 for this challenge. I'm actually already eating very healthy (95% Paleo with a lot of fruits and greens) but I feel like I'm consuming a lot of extra calories through healthy vices like chocolate and dairy products. Must stop/keep it to a minimum.

Overview of Fitness Goals: I plan to continue my StrongLifts 5x5, eat healthier and try to increase my cardio capacity to induce weight loss. We can do this gang!

Life Goals:

My current situation is basically this: I'm living with my Grandmother, intern-ing for her in her custom-made clothing business and am freelancing graphic design on the side. Basically, I'm unemployed and supposedly focusing on learning everything my Grandmother has to teach me.

I realize that this is a very ideal situation for someone who wants to learn how to design/pattern draft clothes. But I feel like I'm procrastinating half the time because I'm not going to lie, pattern drafting is serious business. I'm learning a lot but I feel like I could pick up the pace instead of lounging around my Grandmother's house half the time. Time to set some concrete goals:

1. Make 4 complete and finished outfits, from pattern to actual garment. (Working on one right now!)

2. Make a women's sloper, men's sloper and pants sloper from scratch. (Going to work on this tomorrow! SWEAR)

3. Produce a sketch at least twice in one week.

All for now! Whew, felt like I wrote a novel this month hahaha. Keep me posted and let's hit our goals together <3

P.S

And on a totally unrelated and extraneous note, I seriously need to learn how to drive. Maybe I should enroll in a driving school again. Must look into this.

Edited by Martinpanduh

Great goals, Martin.

I think losing a few pounds is completely doable if you increase your running and reduce your chocolate and dairy. I lost five the first week (not on purpose!) last month simply just paying better attention to the calories that were going in.

Though remember that when you're increasing strength the numbers on the scale might not budge, even if the numbers on your clothes sizes do :)

Also, what's a sloper?

Great goals, Martin.

I think losing a few pounds is completely doable if you increase your running and reduce your chocolate and dairy. I lost five the first week (not on purpose!) last month simply just paying better attention to the calories that were going in.

Though remember that when you're increasing strength the numbers on the scale might not budge, even if the numbers on your clothes sizes do :)

Also, what's a sloper?

I definitely think I have the pounds to lose *looks at stomach*, but yea I know what you're talking about hahaha. I'll try to be more alert (more-so than now) on the calories in, and to think I had a glass of soda last night--FAIL! Can't wait to hit the gym tonight.

Also about slopers, haha funny you mention clothing sizes. A sloper is basically a pattern made out of card stock, making rendering new patterns so much easier. It's like a template for a given size. Let's say I need to make a dress and a shirt for a size 6 person, I whip out the sloper and I trace it out twice. The fit is already there on the paper, now all I have to do is add the design. It's like a master pattern really. Intricate stuff to make I tell ya.

Workout B today! My legs are toast! I went good on my new goal of increasing my run capacity by 2 minutes each time, I went 10kph for 19 minutes then 12kph for the "last" minute then I added 2 more minutes of 10kph for cooldown. 22 minutes all in all.

As for the weights:

Squat: 5x5 150lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) so getting there. Yikes.

Overhead Press 5x5 55lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) difficult but still doable.

Deadlift 1x5 175lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) doable but yes, grips are starting to strain.

As for diet, I drank soda today (fail, no choice) but I did well everywhere else so no big. Cheers y'all! Can't wait for our squad assignments.

Off day today!

Went to the gym to put in a 22 minute run (like yesterday), this time I put in two minutes of 12kph with 20 minutes at 10kph. Hahaha "sprints", I'd like to think. Before that, I put in my 3 sets x 4 reps CHIN ups, sorry not pull ups, I keep mix matching these terms.

As for diet, I ate some beef and a LOT of cauliflower for lunch. I love cauliflower, any downsides to this? It says it's 14 calories per half cup. I don't think anyone can go wrong there.

As for life goals, I'm almost done with 1/4 finished garments! This one is super cool and it's for my sister, it's not perfect but it looks pretty damn HOT. Cheers.

Workout A today!

Squat: 5x5 (155) 175lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) grossly overestimated the weights on the bar for this one. I was just supposed to do 155 but I miscalculated. This seems to happen to me a lot, wtf math skillz. It was heavy all right.

Bench Press 5x5 95lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) Wuhoo, I genuinely feel the strength from previous workouts facilitating this press. It wasn't easy but, it was just right.

Barbell Row 5x5 95lbs + bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) Doable but difficult already.

Felt sore from yesterdays run, tomorrow is going to be an off-day for me and then Friday I resume. Looking in the mirror, I still have a long way to go both in terms of losing my belly/roundness AND gaining some definition. I look big, that's for sure but I need to cut down. Hopefully this workout + the running will bring me closer. Cheers all!

How are you finding the Stronglifts program? I'm doing 3 X 5s at the moment, and am getting good results, but I'd be interested to know how you find the extra 2 sets...

As far as I've read on StrongLifts, one is supposed to progress to 3x5 or some other similar (but lesser reps) variation when one hits the maximum weight using 5x5. I'm not at all sure but I think in my case, I'm still at the lighter stages as far as the squat is concerned. I'm currently at 155+bar when my body weight is 200lbs+, so far it still feels pretty manageable. From previous experience, I know I can hit 5x5 with 200lbs + bar so I think I have a long way to go.

As for bench and the overhead press, I dunno, kinda heavy already. I'm scared for the day I'll plateau in these exercises.

Thanks for the advice Dawsy, luckily I've yet to confront the possibility. At any rate, Workout B again today.

Squat: 5x5 160lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) manageable but already tough.

Overhead Press 5x5 60lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) difficult!

Deadlift 1x5 175lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) doable still, I surmounted the grip pain by just looking past it. Amazing how mental toughness really plays a role.

After that I did some 3x4 reps chin ups. My arms are still throbbing. Thanks and goodluck to everyone this week!

I'm glad to see another rower around here. I was on my college crew team as a novice for a semester before I got really sick. I was never able to go back, even though I REALLY loved it. I'm just getting back into using the rowing machines at the gym and having a great time. Glad to know that I can talk to you about it. :)

I think your goals are great and I really believe that you can lose that weight before the end of the challenge. *nods*

Please take and post photos of your design and clothing work. I am really intrigued and would love to lern more! Very cool!

I'm glad to see another rower around here. I was on my college crew team as a novice for a semester before I got really sick. I was never able to go back, even though I REALLY loved it. I'm just getting back into using the rowing machines at the gym and having a great time. Glad to know that I can talk to you about it. :)

I think your goals are great and I really believe that you can lose that weight before the end of the challenge. *nods

That's super cool, always love hearing about other rowers! It was huge part of my life, so sad it's over now but I don't think I'm willing to subject myself to all that pain again hahaha. It was worth it, at any rate.

Anyway, just had another debaucher-ous weekend. Well it wasn't that bad but I had a lot of liquid calories (read: beer) and I had a little too much nuts, mindless eating and all that during a family lunch. Cripes, I really need to watch it. Weighed myself again this morning and it's still at 206lbs I swear! It's not moving. At least at the end of the day, I'm keeping up with my strength goals and I'd still like to believe I'm getting firmer in all the right places.

So today was Workout A of the StrongLifts 5x5.

Squat: 5x5 165lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) getting heavier, I'm starting to think I need to extend my 1 minute rests in between.

Bench Press 5x5 100lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) Doable, difficult, but doable.

Barbell Row 5x5 100lbs + bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) Yikes, starting to feel the strain.

All for today! I'll try to get in a 24 minute run tomorrow and put in a Bear 5x5 for good measure, missed those. Goodluck to everyone this week! Make it happen!

Off day today but I got to put in a 24 minute run on the treadmill, rounded out to about 4k or something. I know, isn't that kind of slow? My 5k best time (on a road trail) was 21++ minutes but I used to run so much more back then. Eh, I dunno. Did 22 minutes of 10kph and put in 2 minutes of 12kph at the end. Winded by the end of it all.

I rested for about 15 minutes and I was trying to figure out if I could put in some chin ups (5x3) or do the Bear (5x5), I attempted both and they both fell through. My body's still sore from the heavy weights I did yesterday, I'd rather not risk failing my main workout tomorrow so I just decided to call it a day. I hope I made the right decision.

On the weight front, it's still fluctuating like crazy. Monday I was at 206lbs. Today I'm at 203. So I finally just said "FU IT" and I measured my "waist" (if you could call it a waist) and lo and behold, it's only 38 inches now from 40 inches a month ago. I hope that's progress. I call it my "waist" cause even though it measures a size 38, I really do get to wear size 34 jeans. Whatever.

See you guys tomorrow!

Workout B today:

Squat: 5x5 170lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) manageable but again, already tough.

Overhead Press 5x5 65lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) difficult!

Deadlift 1x5 185lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) damn I skipped 5lbs again! Oh well.

All for now.

P.S

I realize I've been mindlessly eating chocolate, cheese and nuts throughout my days. All in trace amounts but blah, in retrospect I think this could be hampering my weight loss goals. Enough is enough.

So workout A today!

Squat: 5x5 175lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) is it me or is the last set always the easiest?

Bench Press 5x5 105lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) I feel like I'm getting stronger here. Loves it.

Barbell Row 5x5 105lbs + bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) As for this workout, I feel like it's an uphill battle from the onset. I dunno.

All in all, I'm progressing in terms of strength gains. No doubt about that. But as for weight loss, that's another story. I feel like I'm plateauing. I'm eating as clean as I can (well maybe not) but I've completely eradicated 90% of carbs from my diet, I wonder what gives. Whatever. I like how my body looks now (I mean taking all the progress in) BUT I'm starting to doubt if my diet is correct. I'm not doubting Paleo and its benefits (I love it) but the whole calories in and out thing.

As for my life goals, I made a super sick cropped jacket yesterday out of some houndstooth material I found. It's not finished yet (lol no sleeves) but it's shaping up super tailored. I'm so proud of it. Giving it to my cousin as a birthday gift! Huzzah.

Goodluck this weekend, to all of us. I'm going to end up drinking again (CALORIES DEATH) but I want to get drunk. #WoesOfHumanity

Workout B Today! Back from a debaucherous weekend, well not really but I hardly did anything.

Squat: 5x5 180lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) tough! Almost hitting my BW!

Overhead Press 5x5 70lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) difficult! ARGH.

Deadlift 1x5 190lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) almost there! Tough but could push through.

Yikes I'm having trouble with my overhead press, it's getting more and more difficult without any strength gains. Will make a post about it. Good luck this week!

All in all, I'm progressing in terms of strength gains. No doubt about that. But as for weight loss, that's another story. I feel like I'm plateauing. I'm eating as clean as I can (well maybe not) but I've completely eradicated 90% of carbs from my diet, I wonder what gives. Whatever. I like how my body looks now (I mean taking all the progress in) BUT I'm starting to doubt if my diet is correct. I'm not doubting Paleo and its benefits (I love it) but the whole calories in and out thing.

I know how you feel. I am having the same issue. I am definitely stronger, but not seeing the numbers go down on that ass of a scale

Yikes I'm having trouble with my overhead press, it's getting more and more difficult without any strength gains. Will make a post about it. Good luck this week!

I know how frustrating it is to feel like you're plateauing on a lift, but you're doing great, seriously. You're pressing 70lbs + the bar, so 115lbs total? That's nothing to sneeze at. I did see some of the advice the others were giving you on developing your OHP, though, and it all looks good. I need to take some of that to heart the next time I'm lifting!

Keep it up, though. I don't know if you do any doubles or triples of squats above your working weight, but that definitely helped me push up a bit. So, if you're at 5x5x180lbs, maybe throw in a triple of 200lbs next time, after your warmups, but before doing your 5x5. You might not be able to do 5x5 your bodyweight, but 1x3 still feels awesome.

I know how you feel. I am having the same issue. I am definitely stronger, but not seeing the numbers go down on that ass of a scale

It's terrible really hahaha, eating breakfast can shoot me up from 206 to 208 easily. I'm sure there's room to improve in the diet section, but for now, let's just keep chugging on our strength gains!

I know how frustrating it is to feel like you're plateauing on a lift, but you're doing great, seriously.

Keep it up, though. I don't know if you do any doubles or triples of squats above your working weight, but that definitely helped me push up a bit. So, if you're at 5x5x180lbs, maybe throw in a triple of 200lbs next time, after your warmups, but before doing your 5x5. You might not be able to do 5x5 your bodyweight, but 1x3 still feels awesome.

Thanks for the encouragement Prefect. As of the moment, I'm at 185lbs + bar at the squat so technically I think I'm already way past my BW. But that's a solid idea, I think it'll fool my body into gaining more muscle hahaha.

At this point, I can objectively asses that I can go at least +20 more pounds (or more) doing 5x5. I think the program suggests that if it's getting really tough, just increase your rest time a bit. Currently I'm at a 60 second breather between reps among all the exercises, haven't had to resort to it yet. So today, workout A:

Squat: 5x5 185lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) getting tougher and tougher.

Bench Press 5x5 110lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) terrible, I think I need to check my form. I finished it but it was super hard. I think the BP is really not my lift.

Barbell Row 5x5 110lbs + bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) Felt like I got stronger here! Really.

Thanks for the input guys, you know another thing. Ever since I started lifting weights (maybe 2-3 years ago), I've never had much progress with the bench press. Maybe my form is off. I've seen guys so much smaller (height + mass) lift so much more than me. Right now I'm at 110lbs + bar and I'm dy-ing. Something to look into!

Wow, you guys. I am learning so much here.

Keep up the good work, dude. The scale is evil and it wants to mess with your mind. Don't let it. You are making progress- you know this. Just keep going and keep working.

Wow, you guys. I am learning so much here.

Keep up the good work, dude. The scale is evil and it wants to mess with your mind. Don't let it. You are making progress- you know this. Just keep going and keep working.

Thanks for the encouragement!

So Workout B today:

Squat: 5x5 190lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) yowza.

Overhead Press 5x5 50lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) so I deloaded again, this time incorporating the right technique. Thanks Knightwatch and everybody else who weighed in! Feels so much better, like I'm hitting all the right spots. My back is straight, trying to keep my elbows forward. On the right track!

Deadlift 1x5 195lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) cripes, but I did it.

Also in between exercises, I put in a 5x3 chin up routine. Definitely feels like I'm getting stronger there. Not going to lie, I'm finally starting to see my biceps take shape. I mean they're there (actually quite big) but super not ripped, I dunno, I'm kind of seeing them more now. Progress! It's the weekend for me! I know I'm not going to get any exercise in but here's to a cleaner diet.

Cheers y'all!

Workout A today!

Squat: 5x5 195lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) yowza.

Bench Press 5x5 115lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) sensing a stall here.

Barbell Row 5x5 115lbs + bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) YIKES! I've been doing this with wrong technique, I just saw some videos. Stupid, I just adopted the same movements I learned back in college. Maybe it's a different style but the ones I've seen online look more solid. I'm going to deload next set and practice the technique.

Onward we go!

Off day today but put in a 20 minute run (10kph~12kph on the last minute) and then some 3x11 Push ups. I was concentrating on my form, I could usually go 20+ on a set if I rush through them but I took Steve's article to heart and watched my form. Tough stuff.

Workout B tomorrow!

Workout B today! In between exercises I busted out some 3x6 chin ups.

Squat: 5x5 200lbs + bar (I did a total of 10 sets of 5 with varying weights, including warmup) yowza really.

Overhead Press 5x5 55lbs+ bar (Total of 7 sets, warm up etc.) going okay.

Deadlift 1x5 200lbs + bar (Total of 3 sets, varying weights) yowza again.

Ch-ch-check it out! I hit both 200lbs + bar on squat and deadlift! Wuhoo. Everytime I go up 5lbs, I'm breaking PRs at this point! Feels great!