Is Dark chocklate evil

Andro

It's my understanding that a lot of people going paleo/primal enjoy a bit of dark chocolate now and then with no real ill effects, although I am not sure of its effects on weight loss. A small treat every couple of days shouldn't completely derail you if you maintain a pretty good diet the rest of the time and watch your carb intake (particularly carbs from fruits and starchy tubers). It's also my understanding that the darker the chocolate, the better.

Mgn, level 1 Satyr adventurerSTR 2 | DEX 1STA 1 | CON 3WIS 5 | CHA 3"'I wanna be this, I wanna be that'... well then grab your f**king nuts and BE IT!"

If dark chocolate is evil, I don't want to be good.

Short version: quantity matters. Assuming you're just having a square or two, there's no harm in it. Also, as was said above, the darker the better. For me, the sweet spot is around 85%.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Short version: quantity matters. Assuming you're just having a square or two, there's no harm in it. Also, as was said above, the darker the better. For me, the sweet spot is around 85%.

Here here! I (tried) to go without for the Whole30 to help me sugar detox. As Zorch said make sure it is dark chocolate 50% really doesn't qualify, 70% is a good stepping stone-I try to do at least 80%

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Well i eat 85% usualy, though unless i have someone to share it with one block eventualy esclates to a whole pack, 39 grams of carbs 9 of whoch are fibre, making my usual 70 gram day a bit over 100 gram for that day, ithink i worry too much but at least i dont see any signs of being off track

For me chocolate is a gateway food. Once I allow some, I end up eating more and more until I end up snaking with Mars bars ... :-)

It really depends, but can you really really stop at two small squares every 2 days? If yes, then go, but if you are like me, just say no. For me even a small amount of sugar is like a drug,,, ADDICTIVE!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have seen the soul of evil, and it's name is Cocoa. It can only be truly destroyed by eating it's black, lightless, delicious heart, by which you gain it's strength but risk loosing your own soul forever.

I have lost my own way many times as I stared into the 99% darkest eyes of the abyss, but have always found my way back. However, I keep up my high resistance against it's evil by ingesting some periodically, very much like iocane powder.

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

MMMmmmmHmmmm.....

Those cocoa dusted truffles from costco do me in every year...

Half-Dragon Ranger

Level 4 

Total: Str: 6.75 Dex: 6.75 Sta: 7.5 Con: 4 Wis: 5 Cha: 7.5

~ Here be Dragons ~

Well i eat 85% usualy, though unless i have someone to share it with one block eventualy esclates to a whole pack.

Rationing is your friend. One way to keep from eating it really fast is to freeze it. By the time you get through a block of frozen dark chocolate you're not in wolfing mode and can make a better decision about whether to try and gnaw through the rest or not.

It doesn't sound like this is a chocolate problem, but a portion problem. If you are having trouble resisting the chocolate, go to only one day a week you can eat it, or only eat it every other week.

If you are at a plateau (having trouble getting those last few off), you might want to look into intermittent fasting http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/08/intermittent-fasting/ or up your exercise schedule/weight routine. (Yes, all this information was stolen from people who are smarter than I am.) :smug:

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

No mention of cocoa nibs? They've become my go to for chocolate cravings. They're basically cocoa beans that have been roasted and chopped up. No butter added. No sugar added. I can grab a quarter of a teaspoon of them and be happy (instead of grabbing a smidge of anything else chocolate and feeling deprived because of portion size).

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I couldn't escape the lure of chocolate if i wanted to... My Dad is a chocolatier and we're working on a special dark chocolate truffle. A tempered shell of 72% and the ganache insides will be a 64% flavored with chai tea.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I couldn't escape the lure of chocolate if i wanted to... My Dad is a chocolatier and we're working on a special dark chocolate truffle. A tempered shell of 72% and the ganache insides will be a 64% flavored with chai tea.

Hmm, I think the best way for you to resist is to get rid of them. And I happen to know just the place....my house!

Since it is Christmas I am allowing myself to have as much of the non-gluten sweets as I want between Christmas Eve and New Year, then I go back to once a week treats.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Oooh, great thread! I'm going to go pick up some dark chocolate today now and hope it helps me get through my first Christmas with the family since giving Paleo a whirl... Looking at all the sweets I'm so used to eating at this time, it's hard to keep in the drool. -_-

Padawan Adventurer: Level 23 STR | 2 DEX | 2 STA | 2 CON | 4 WIS | 4 CHACurrent Mission: Preparing for the Trials"I'm the one with enthusiasm. You're the one with experience, which I'm looking forward to learning from." - Ahsoka Tano