BlamedCat Wars: Episode 1: The Fatman Menace

BlamedCat

I'm excited and nervous about my first challenge EVER! I just joined up yesterday and here I am jumping in on a 6 week challenge LATE! After some encouragement from the awesome rebels out there and agreement from my buddy that we shouldn't procrastinate (that's what got us in the mess in the first place) here I am!

November 14 - December 26 (I will not take a free day or two because I arrived late, I will take a 6 week challenge and it WILL BE 6 WEEKS)

GOALS

Fitness

1. I need to start walking again, so I want to walk at least 3x a week. Low cardio, just need to get moving again on a consistent basis. (+0.5 STA)

2. I also need to start working out, so I'm going to shoot for doing either the Beginner Body Weight Routine or the 20-Minute Hotel Room Workout at least 2x a week. (+0.5 STR)

Diet

1. My wife and I are going to commit to having veggies with at least 4 dinners a week. I'm personally hoping to do more with this, like cut out bread, etc, but we need to make small attainable goals and make them habits first. (+0.5 CON)

Life Goal

1. To take out 20-60 dollars every paycheck and squirrel it away to prove to myself that I do have the money to add to our grocery funds. This will off-set our current expenses and establish that we CAN afford to eat JERF/Paleo when we get to that stage after our continual micro-changes. (+0.5 WIS)

About Me

I pretty much summed up everything in my introduction thread, but basically, I'm 33, a father of 2 little-un's and a devoted husband. I'm looking to lose fat and get healthy, so I can be a good steward of what God has entrusted to me and so I can be example for my family.

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Updates for 14th & 15th.

On the 14th I did my first 20-Minute Hotel Room Workout, as soon as I got up that morning.

Warm-Up: Check

15 Min.

Each rotation consisted of level 1 requirements: (20 Body Weight Squats, 15 Incline Push-Ups, 10 One-Arm Luggage Rows [each arm] 5lbs, & 10 Reverse Crunches)

Rotation 1: Complete

Rotation 2: Complete

Rotation 3: Complete

Rotation 4: Incomplete (I had to stop with 1 minute and 30 seconds on the clock due to queasiness. I did not finish the set with the reverse crunches)

Not bad for a first shot, eh?

On the 15th I went for a walk tonight. I am using the MapMyWalk App to track my progress. Here's my stats for tonight's walk around the neighborhood after dinner.

Workout: Walk

Date: Nov 15, 2012

Distance: 1.61 mi

Duration: 34:13

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Looks like you're doing great so far! I been in that queasiness situation... feeling like you're going to barf while exercising is definitely not fun. Luckily, it goes away (or, it starts taking a lot more work to get there) pretty soon.

I love your goal about adding more vegetables to your dinners. What kinds of veggies are you planning to eat? I'm a big fan of roasted broccoli.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loden: Aiel Spearmaiden Adventurer, Lvl 2

STR: 4 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge Thread | Fitocracy

Heya BlamedCat!!! Better late than never!! Welcome to the adventurers!!!

The best way to start moving is to create a habit... really... walking is great!! even though some days you just wanna stay in bed... or at the computer... or watching tv... build a habit and you will be just fine!!

I read somewhere once that the biggest procrastinator sentence is: I have not begun to procrastinate yet... If you haven't begun... just get stuff done!! leave the procrastination for later!! procrastinate on that one!!!

You can totally rock this challenge!!!

Intro: Intro thread

Current challenge: Shoobie's baby steps to greatness

Eventually, all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason - Carrie Bradshaw

@ Loden - We'll my mom always made sure we had a balanced meal at the dinner table, but when I got out on my own and then married, veggies fell to the wayside. My wife loves salads and I do too, but there's just something about salad mixes that made me wanna throw up lol. We've been getting those steamer bags. The family favorite right now is a mix of cauliflower, carrots, broccoli and some butter sauce. We've got two bags of steamer broccoli, that's really our go to veggie. Now I've never head of roasted broccoli, please please please, tell me more! I'm eager to find various veggies and combos I haven't considered and MAKE MY FAMILY TRY IT... >_> Except bell pepper... I LOVE IT, but no one else does :(

@ Shoobie - Yesss... stay in a nice warm bed.... continue to play TOR on the computer... or just don't wanna put on my shoes to go walk... but your'e right it needs to start somewhere. :) I didn't wake up early enough to do my workout this morning, so I'm going to have to make time tonight to do it. LOL yeah, procrastination, in this sense is the fear of being held accountable and fear of failure... but honestly, not trying is truly the worst defeat of all, because breeds 'what could have been's'. Thank you for the encouragement now I got to go see what you're gonna do for your challenge :)

Inertia - the strongest force in the universe. But because we're all superheroes here, we can over come. You're off to a great start; just keep it up. My latest veggie recipe:

Take fresh asparagus, snap the “white” end off, and snap into 3”-4” pieces. Cut up zucchini into like-sized pieces and toss them in. Drizzle with some olive oil (I like a tiny bit of garlic infused olive oil + plain olive oil). Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Microwave 2-4 minutes depending on amount. TaDa! BTW, I've found that I like raw salt much better than processed salt. Trader Joe's has it & it comes in its own grinder. Taste is much stronger & more interesting, so you don't need as much.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Roasting veggies transformed them into vegetable candy. Seriously. My favorite is roasted cauliflower, but I often eat roasted broccoli cooked the same way:

Cut up your cauliflower or broccoli (fresh, I have never tried this with frozen veggies) into large-bite-sized pieces and put in a mixing bowl. Drizzle generously with olive oil; add salt and pepper. Spread the veggies out on a cookie sheet - don't crowd them or pile them! Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes for broccoli, 20-25 minutes for cauliflower, stirring once in the middle. They are done when they are getting just a little bit brown.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

@ Laureleye - HA yes! Inertia! OOOHHHH I am falling in love with asparagus. That sounds SO GOOD. I'm gonna have to try that with the family... hmm.. I wonder how that would taste in the oven, roasted, but I like the quick application with the microwave ^_^ Hey, maybe I should start a veggie thread so we can gather up all sorts of nerdities in that regards... where would I do that on here?

@ Avalonna - That sounds so good! Thank you for your recipe too ^_^

Avalonna, I'm stealing that recipe...

I don't know that I would dignify it with the title of "recipe" because it's so simple, fast, and easy, but it is awesome. Warning: I changed the cooking times in my post because I put the time in wrong - don't burn your veggies!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

@ BeckyBuckeye - Thank you so much for the encouragement! It's really helping that she's wanting to step up with me on this. :)

@ Everyone - I've grabbed all your recipes (and non-recipes) and tossed them up in a thread on diet and nutrition (thanks for the tip Becky). Maybe we can spark a whole SLEW of awesome recipes for everyone to enjoy. I'm SUCH a foodie.... My wife says I should go to culinary school cause of how excited I get about going to the grocery store and looking at all the cool foods, etc....

Here's the thread: Trying to work veggies into my diet (and my family's) SUGGESTIONS WELCOME

Dinners from 14th & 15th

I totally forgot to add this, since it's part of my goals, duh. Okay, so here's what we did.

Wednesday 14th

It was a fast eat night because of all the business that went on that day. We ended up having hotdogs. I at least grabbed an onion and diced it up to add to my dogs (rest of the family was like, 'no thanks dad/honey').

Thursday 15th

I was determined to have a GOOD meal last night, so I went by the store and just grabbed things lol. Seriously, I was like "chicken" so I went and found that Kroger now offers a free-range organic chicken option (it tasted good at least, still new to this organic thing). I bought chicken thighs and coated them in a bbq rub I had at home and grilled them up on my Hamilton grill. They came out amazing. For a side, we had two freezer bag mixes of red potatoes, string beans, mushrooms, onions, and tossed in a thyme infused olive oil. (cooked that up in my awesome cast iron skillet)

@ Laureleye - Oooh sounds good! Found the brand I bought the other night check it out here. That thyme infused oil was a surprise, very good flavor :)

Friday 16th

I ended up getting fresh broccoli and cauliflower to try out this super simple roasted veggie idea. I ended up cutting up the stems of the huge broccoli into discs, not wanting to waste really and oiled them up and seasoned along with everything else. about 10 min. in it started smelling AMAZING. At almost 20 min, I pulled the tray out and was amazed. I had a plate of roasted veggies and was so full I didn't eat any of my leftover bbq chicken thighs till later. ^_^

I did have a-- well I shouldn't call it a minor disappointment, but not sure what else to call it, on Friday. My wife called up after she got off her 12hr shift and asked what we were having for dinner. Told her I was gonna do the roasted veggies and the leftover chicken and she sounded fine with it. Long story short, she ends up coming home with fast food cause she didn't want leftovers. Now, normally this doesn't bother me, we all get cravings and change up our minds and she works 12 hr shifts, so ya know she's entitled to treating herself. Not to mention we all get burned out on leftovers (which she was that day), but I couldn't help but feel a pang of disappointment and hurt that here I was trying to make something healthy and she ups and is eating waffle fries in front of me... I love my wife and she really does want to get healthier, so this isn't a smear against her, just sharing my struggles and feelings so I can keep tabs on things. I got over it and am glad that the recipe turned out well.

Workout wise, I DID IT! I complete the 20-Minute Hotel Room Workout! I was able to do 4 rotations and started a 5th. I brought a bottle of water with me this time and I think taking a sip of that every now and then really helped with my previous queasiness issue.

Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th

I didn't exercise or walk on the weekend and dinner was lacking. Totally sucked it up both days, even if things were in moderation.

I have it easier...my husband was in the USMC for 26 years. Anything I cook is bound to be better than the mess hall food, so he's easy to please. I understand why you were disappointed when you'd tried out a nifty new recipe and had it work. But it's Monday now, so think "dominate".

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

lol, lucky!

Right, face forward and move onward! ^_^

I have a nifty cool way to make AWESOME veggies with little effort AND it's the start of a new slate! Lets do this!

I'm so glad you liked the roasted veggies! I can see why you felt disappointed when your wife brought fast food home after you had a nice dinner prepared. Remember - change doesn't happen overnight! Did she try and like the veggies?

My husband and I love having leftovers, because it means we get a night off from cooking. We often make a big batch of something so we can eat it for more than one meal.

Avalonna, yes, she was really impressed with the veggies and she liked them a lot.

I can totally agree with that :) It sure makes a difference when you're saving time and money. We're getting better about this, like you said change doesn't happen over night.

Dinner leftovers also make a great lunch!

I'm so glad you liked the roasted veggies! They're a great easy, healthy food to have in your repertoire. And I'm sorry to hear about your wife and the fast food... I can sympathize, my husband is much less eager to eat healthy than I am, and it has sometimes caused hurt feelings. Good luck getting your family off fast food!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Loden: Aiel Spearmaiden Adventurer, Lvl 2

STR: 4 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 6.5 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge Thread | Fitocracy

Thanks everyone! I've been on this broccoli kick. I had a steamer bag of broccoli with butter, garlic, pepper, and smoked sea salt, for dinner last night... and decided to do the same thing for lunch today ^_^ ssooo good!

I agree about the making healthy choices... my wife and I had a talk about that last night. It was a good one. She pointed out that while she's eager to support me, these are MY goals, an obvious point, but it needed reminding. She's VERY self-conscious about her health and has a very hard time talking with me about it. She said she was always teased at school and home about her weight so she never tried. In truth, she's amazing, she went from 400+ lbs, down to 250 lbs (before I met her). With that said, she did tell me that she, in her own words, "I want you to make the roasted broccoli more... a LOT more." So, needless to say, she really liked it. ^_^

I need to work on being more encouraging for her and not frustrated because it "feels" like I'm the only one working on getting healthy. As it was said earlier, I gotta lead by example and it's important that I stick to my goals. The rest will work itself out :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines