BlamedCat Wars: Episode 1: The Fatman Menace

BlamedCat

Oh, my stomach hurts just thinking about it. Good luck navigating a pot luck at work. I took a vacation day to avoid mine.

I didn't avoid it well :( I ate one plate in moderation and my body is all sluggish and just "blah" now. Ugh. I've been drinking a lot of water since then so I'm starting to feel better.

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

I'm excited and nervous about my first challenge EVER! I just joined up yesterday and here I am jumping in on a 6 week challenge LATE! After some encouragement from the awesome rebels out there and agreement from my buddy that we shouldn't procrastinate (that's what got us in the mess in the first place) here I am!

November 14 - December 26 (I will not take a free day or two because I arrived late, I will take a 6 week challenge and it WILL BE 6 WEEKS)

*Takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly*

Okay, time to review my challenge goals and progress. I'm going to promise myself not to get down in the dumps over not being perfect, life isn't perfect and I can't expect to be. There's only been one perfect human and that certainly wasn't me.

Fitness

1. I need to start walking again, so I want to walk at least 3x a week. Low cardio, just need to get moving again on a consistent basis. (+0.5 STA)

2. I also need to start working out, so I'm going to shoot for doing either the Beginner Body Weight Routine or the 20-Minute Hotel Room Workout at least 2x a week. (+0.5 STR)

I got into a good routine of walking this at work, more so than at home and even managed to do it more that necessary toward the end. However, I was unsuccessful in getting into a routine of doing the body weight training. I have had many fumbles with exercise in general this run so I don't think I can give myself any bonus in this area.

I did, however, actually look around and price martial arts dojo memberships. (I stayed away from gyms, because I do not love them, nor have a motivation to go, nor any support group for that.) Unfortunately, the dojos were a lot more expensive than I remember a decade ago (huh, I wonder why... lol), but apparently 129 per month and then 90 extra for each additional family member is a steal... :( Too bad I don't have the cash to commit to this.

Diet

1. My wife and I are going to commit to having veggies with at least 4 dinners a week. I'm personally hoping to do more with this, like cut out bread, etc, but we need to make small attainable goals and make them habits first. (+0.5 CON)

I haven't really kept super detail tabs on this, but I have noticed that we do incorporate veggies into almost every meal now. If not at dinner, then for lunch. I, myself, have picked up snacking on an avocado a day during the work week. I think I can reward myself for this one, as a team effort with my family +0.5 CON yay!

I have also been working on going paleo. I can tell you that I have stumbled in this area with the holidays and it's been hard. I can also tell you there were more than a couple of nights that I went to bed feeling terrible because my stomach didn't like the bounce back to sweets and breaded things. I will say that on those days, most of the time I ate a light breakfast just in case something wasn't going to be Paleo friendly... both parties zero was paleo friendly lol, so I at least had that foresight.

On a positive side to this, we have fallen in love with cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot (had it twice in the last 10 days), it's great for leftovers! My sister got me a Paleo Slow Cooker, cookbook for Christmas, so I'm eager to try out many of those recipes :) One I've got slotted for this week is a chicken pesto. I'm not making the pesto from scratch this time, but it should still be amazing.

Life Goal

1. To take out 20-60 dollars every paycheck and squirrel it away to prove to myself that I do have the money to add to our grocery funds. This will off-set our current expenses and establish that we CAN afford to eat JERF/Paleo when we get to that stage after our continual micro-changes. (+0.5 WIS)

I have managed to do this about 80% of the time. I have also turned right back around and bought the more organic items and tried things out since this challenge began, so it was a bit more dynamic than my goal stated above. I can say that I have now tried, brussel sprouts, roasted broccoli/cauliflower, avocados, different bags of steamed veggies, chocolate coconut milk, chocolate almond milk, a can of organic thai coconut soup (not so great), organic juices (for the kiddos), baked sweet potatoes, sweet potato chips (on a whim, not standard consumption), free range chicken (whole, thigh, and breast), local organic coffee (in tasty moderation), and I have bought organic flank steak & stew meat for future meals I've yet to plan. (if anyone has a great flank steak recipe I'd LOVE to hear about it). So, +0.5 WIS, yay!

So what have I learned?

I've learned that some changes come naturally (the foods for the most part), while some things are a frustrating struggle (willpower for exercise). I realize that I can inspire others. My wife joined NF and has been involved in her preventative medicine program at work AND gets a free FITBIT (so jealous!) for continuing on the path. She's planning on making one small change from a bad habbit to a better one every week, so that in a year she'll have made 52 changes in her lifestyle.

I've also learned that life loves to throw wrenches into EVERYTHING... from unplanned foods (Christmas parties and feasts), to weather (iced in yesterday and COLD COLD COLD (for a Texan)), to sicknesses (My wife is sick with a viral cold, My 1 yr old had a temp of 103 last week, so we had to take him to the ER, turns out he had the beginnings of strep throat, but he's doing much better now with meds.), to death (one of my close friends lost his mom on Christmas). Life is stressful, but in the end there is SO much to be thankful for and those are the things I need to focus on. Including the True reason for the Christmas season.

Looking Forward...

Now I need to continue to focus on my 'friendly challenge' since that's over on 1/7/2013... and figure out what I should do for the next challenge. I also need to see if there is anyone I can pair up with...

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Sickness sucks, you did great this challenge, keep it up for the next one.

I wouldn't say I did great, but I started and finished it and made some ground.  I do need your advice though, considering how cluttered threads can get.  Should I start up a battle blog along with a new challenge thread?  Or just stick to a new challenge thread when it's released?

Since you asked, my guess would be to do one or the other. Keeping up with both could be redundant. If you are worried about keeping up with certain threads, subscribe to your own thread and the ones you want to follow, then you can keep up with them that way instead of having to fish through the Adventurer board to find the ones you want.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Since you asked, my guess would be to do one or the other. Keeping up with both could be redundant. If you are worried about keeping up with certain threads, subscribe to your own thread and the ones you want to follow, then you can keep up with them that way instead of having to fish through the Adventurer board to find the ones you want.

Of course I asked, I like your advice.  Thank you:)  Okay, I'll stick with one thread, a challenge one.  I guess if I go off the challenges, then I should have a battle log so I keep myself motivated (which makes sense).

Oh I've already made heavy use of the subscribing ability :)  I love that feature!

I had an interesting discussion with a friend who came over for lunch the other day. She is used to buying skinless, boneless chicken breasts for something like $2/lb.

She was thrilled at the lunch we had of shreded chicken tacos that was made from a whole organic chicken. She said that the flavour was superior (in part because of the organic, but maily because of the addition of all of the parts of the chicken especially the bones/marrow during cooking)

The whole organic chickens are about the same price as the boneless skinless chicken breasts. However, as I said before, the whole chicken was more important than the organic, so whole non-organic are less than $1/lb.

She was excited to be able to spend LESS money and get MORE nutrient dense and therefore, BETTER food.

“Behold, Behemoth, he eats grass like an ox. His strength in his loins, and his power in the muscles of his belly.

He makes his tail stiff like a cedar; the sinews of his thighs are knit together.

His bones are tubes of bronze, his limbs like bars of iron.

For the mountains yield food for him where all the wild beasts play.â€

Track my current Challenge progress here:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23070-rochs-initial-challenge/

I had an interesting discussion with a friend who came over for lunch the other day. She is used to buying skinless, boneless chicken breasts for something like $2/lb.

She was thrilled at the lunch we had of shreded chicken tacos that was made from a whole organic chicken. She said that the flavour was superior (in part because of the organic, but maily because of the addition of all of the parts of the chicken especially the bones/marrow during cooking)

The whole organic chickens are about the same price as the boneless skinless chicken breasts. However, as I said before, the whole chicken was more important than the organic, so whole non-organic are less than $1/lb.

She was excited to be able to spend LESS money and get MORE nutrient dense and therefore, BETTER food.

That's a very very good point!  I'll still shoot for organic if I can, but cooking whole chickens really is the better way to go :D  Now... I have a very important question to ask you....

Can I have the recipe?  I'd love to learn how to make shredded chicken tacos at home and get my family exposed to good ones :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines