• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mgn

Tea? Sweeteners?

I'm in the midst of making plans to switch to a paleo lifestyle, and just got this thought...

Right, so I don't mind drinking water all day. Water is nice, especially when cold. But my boyfriend and I like to go out to dinner sometimes, and I view it as a real treat. It's easy to find paleo foods at the restaurants we like to eat at, but I kind of REEEALLLY don't also want to drink water while I'm out to eat. It's a treat and an uncommon occurrence, so something with a bit more taste would be lovely alongside a nice meal, especially since I drink water all day everyday.

I'm not really a soda lover -- it's rare that I'll indulge in soda -- but I was wondering if unsweetened iced tea would be okay? Is tea paleo?

And, if so, which sweeteners are paleo-friendly? (I have read that sweeteners in general are NOT paleo-friendly, but even the closest I could get to paleo would be okay with me since, as I said, this is a pretty uncommon occurrence.)

Tea is Paleo. When you say you want to sweeten it do you mean taking the unsweetened and adding a little sugar or buying it sweetened. If you are adding your own and it is a special treat, do sugar or honey of they have it. I wouldn't order the already sweetened stuff because it has as much sugar as pop.

Tea is Paleo. When you say you want to sweeten it do you mean taking the unsweetened and adding a little sugar or buying it sweetened. If you are adding your own and it is a special treat, do sugar or honey of they have it. I wouldn't order the already sweetened stuff because it has as much sugar as pop.

Yeah, I usually order the unsweetened tea and sweeten it myself.

Iced tea is my drug of choice. I'll never admit to how much of it I actually drink, LOL. I use Splenda in mine just because it dissolves well and I enjoy the flavor. I don't stress myself overly much about little things like that. However, if you're contemplating dumping spoonfulls of sugar in you might want to reconsider that. ;)

Also, if you are brewing the tea yourself, you could choose a tea that is naturally already a little bit sweet. I LOVE mango ceylon tea over ice, its has an ever so lightly sweet flavor all on its own.

Something else I do is to use 3/4 regular tea bags and 1/4 herbal something like mint or lemon to flavor and sweeten it

I'm joining the question about sweeteners here: I'm going paleo, but with a slight twist (which I'll talk about in other post). I drink tea and ground coffee (Can't stand the powder one), and I was wondering if Stevia is a good sweetener. For what I know, it comes from a leaf, and the best versions are mostly chemical free. Has anyone tried it? Do you guys recommend it? Thank you!

How about stevia leafes? Can't be more natural then that :) I once had some that should have been used to brew a tea but i found you could also use them to sweeten things up.

Honest to goodness question for those who take sweetener in tea: why not try to aquire a taste for it unsweetened?

Since part of paleo is cutting out unneccessary sugar and carbs, perhaps it is worth a try. I tried it and now can't drink it with sweeteners in at all.

Honest to goodness question for those who take sweetener in tea: why not try to aquire a taste for it unsweetened?

Since part of paleo is cutting out unneccessary sugar and carbs, perhaps it is worth a try. I tried it and now can't drink it with sweeteners in at all.

I certainly intend to acquire a taste for unsweetened tea, and in fact have drastically reduced the amount of sweetener I put in my tea from a couple years ago. I'm hoping that by continuing to wean off from sweeteners in tea gradually, I'll have years ahead of me that I don't need to sweeten it at all. I have tried unsweetened tea a few times -- once a couple years ago, and I thought it was horrendous; again a couple months ago and it wasn't half bad, but still wasn't tasty. So I'm getting somewhere at least. :D

I tried unsweetened tea and found it just horrid, but then I started browsing the world of herbal and green teas. I'm now a full on convert, sipping on a nice citrus mint herbal tea, just bliss. Never knew what I was missing. Bet it would make a fantastic iced tea as well.