• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sanjh

Sanjh's 28 day challenge

So, for this 28 day challenge I'm adopting a system that one of my favorite teachers used for assignments. Namely this methodology is the "Minimum-Expected-Cool" assignment. Basically this means each goal has three tasks a baseline (minimum), an extension from said minimum (expected), and a challenge (cool). These roughly relate to C, B and A grades respectively.

--Physical--

Exercise:

Minimum - Exercise 3 times a week. (Defined as reasonably intense (no slacking-no overloading) muscular and/or cardiovascular exertion for a period of at least 30 consecutive minutes)

Expected - Exercise in such a way that I'm able to complete two new 5.8 routes at the climbing gym.

Cool - Exercise in such a way to get my Unmodified Consecutive Push-up count to 20.

How I plan on doing this: Schedule 1 or 2 climbing gym trips a week. And, for the rest, follow the Rebel Fitness Guide Basic Training.

Diet:

Minimum - Bring Lunch to school at least 4 out of 5 days a week.

Expected - Said Lunch will be a Paleo compatible salad. (Along the lines of http://www.marksdailyapple.com/two-minute-salad/)

Cool - Increase water intake by drinking only water with lunch.

How I plan on doing this: Pre-make salads and store them for quick access. Find a water bottle and take it to school.

--Life--

School

Minimum - Keep Up With Assignments and Readings from Classes and Research.

Expected - Do supplemental Assignments and Readings from Classes and Research.

Cool - Make considerable progress in Classes and Research, to the point a professor is impressed by it.

How I plan on doing this: I have a desk on campus, I plan on being there until 5PM. While I am there, I'm not allowed to do thing non work related. Supplement that with reading and work outside of that time, and I should be getting enough done to successfully accomplish this.

Progress Report Day 1

Fitness:

Did Level 1 Workout A. Fell short on the dumbbell row and the plank. But is a work in progress, no?

Diet:

Ate Paleo Salad with a large class of water.

School:

Read First Chapter of "Networks"

-- About work on crossing something else off my list before bed.

Progress Report Day 1

Fitness:

Off day, walked a bit, played a bit, stretched a bit.

Diet:

Lunch was a failure of not having the salad prepared, as the chicken was still de-thawing. Still on track for the goal of 4 out of 5 per week though. Did make the salads for the next three days.

School:

Read Two Chapters. -- need to get more done on this tomorrow.

Wow, that Minimum-Expected-Challenge idea is so cool! I may have to steal that for the next 28 day challenge. :D Out of curiosity, are you planning to teach once you've finished your PhD? And what area of CS is your research in? I did a lot of research in undergrad and toyed with the idea of going for a PhD so that I could teach college one day, so I'm very curious about what you think of it!

Also, following you on twitter, hope you don't mind! I'm @orange_avocado.

Good choice of goals, Sanjh! Like everyone else, I'm loving the minimum-expected-cool idea.

Not sure where you are geographically, but I suspect that you'll be more of an evening poster, while I'm more of a daytime one. You might be our ace in the hole for keeping our challenge threads from slipping into the wastelands! ;)

Wow, that Minimum-Expected-Challenge idea is so cool! I may have to steal that for the next 28 day challenge. :D Out of curiosity, are you planning to teach once you've finished your PhD? And what area of CS is your research in? I did a lot of research in undergrad and toyed with the idea of going for a PhD so that I could teach college one day, so I'm very curious about what you think of it!

Also, following you on twitter, hope you don't mind! I'm @orange_avocado.

I'm currently working in the Systems sub-field right now I'm working on sensor networks. I was Graphics (multi-projection curved-surface real-time rendering) until about 3 weeks ago, however.

I TA'ed for about two and a half years before I switched over to an RA position, and I've got to say, I'm not all that into teaching. Especially at the lower levels. Know many people who love it, I just got burned out. :/

If you're into that teaching thing, it's not a bad way to go. I've had some 80 hours per week months though.

I don't mind the Twitter following, that is what it is there for. :)

Good choice of goals, Sanjh! Like everyone else, I'm loving the minimum-expected-cool idea.

Not sure where you are geographically, but I suspect that you'll be more of an evening poster, while I'm more of a daytime one. You might be our ace in the hole for keeping our challenge threads from slipping into the wastelands! ;)

I'm in New Mexico. I just end up having more time in the evening. I'll try to keep our posts from the 'wastelands'. :)

Progress Report Day 3

Fitness:

Level 1, Workout B

Climbing

{

I don't have all the equipment yet, so I wasn't able to attempt my current BoE (Bane of Existence) which is a 5.8+ with an overhang.

I started by spending too much time working on a V0 (bouldering).

Tried to climb a couple of 5.8 walls I haven't gotten up yet.

I finished by climbing an unmarked wall, and doing some horizontal traversing.

}

Needless to say my forearms were sore after all this.

Diet:

Had salad with large glass of water for 'Lunch'

School:

Snow Day 'sap'ed motivation and I had to run a bunch of errands.

Edited by Sanjh
added details to climbing

I'm currently working in the Systems sub-field right now I'm working on sensor networks. I was Graphics (multi-projection curved-surface real-time rendering) until about 3 weeks ago, however.

I TA'ed for about two and a half years before I switched over to an RA position, and I've got to say, I'm not all that into teaching. Especially at the lower levels. Know many people who love it, I just got burned out. :/

If you're into that teaching thing, it's not a bad way to go. I've had some 80 hours per week months though.

I don't mind the Twitter following, that is what it is there for. :)

That's understandable. I'm not really sure if it's something I'd like or not, especially when more lower-level students aren't really that invested. If I did teach, I'd definitely want to end up at a small school, like where I went to college. I don't think I could handle 100+ student classes! I was doing research in natural language processing, but wasn't really sure if that's what I wanted to study long term, so I decided to go the industry route until I figured out what I'm really interested in. Still working on it...

Your rock climbing challenge sounds so fun! I've only been a couple of times, but I really enjoy it. It doesn't even feel like a workout until you come home and your arms are completely work out.

Progress Report Day 3

Fitness:

Level 1, Workout B

Climbing

{

I don't have all the equipment yet, so I wasn't able to attempt my current BoE (Bane of Existence) which is a 5.8+ with an overhang.

I started by spending too much time working on a V0 (bouldering).

Tried to climb a couple of 5.8 walls I haven't gotten up yet.

I finished by climbing an unmarked wall, and doing some horizontal traversing.

}

Needless to say my forearms were sore after all this.

Bouldering is my favorite style of climbing - and don't let ANYONE tell you it's easier than roped climbing. Just cuz you're climbing horizontally rather than vertically doesn't make a 5.9 route any easier. Plus - all you really need is a chalk bag for that. :)

What was in your salad? Any proteins?

That's understandable. I'm not really sure if it's something I'd like or not, especially when more lower-level students aren't really that invested. If I did teach, I'd definitely want to end up at a small school, like where I went to college. I don't think I could handle 100+ student classes! I was doing research in natural language processing, but wasn't really sure if that's what I wanted to study long term, so I decided to go the industry route until I figured out what I'm really interested in. Still working on it...

Your rock climbing challenge sounds so fun! I've only been a couple of times, but I really enjoy it. It doesn't even feel like a workout until you come home and your arms are completely work out.

So here is my suggestion, go for a master's, take random electives, convince a teacher to let you TA. Your masters will get you through the course work period (hence master-PH.D. combo takes as long as straight PH.D.), you won't be restricted to a particular field, and if you decide that afterwards that you don't want to pursue it further you have a degree that will presumably allow for higher paying jobs. But of course, that is just me.

Rock Climbing is a lot of fun. I would say that it feels like a workout in the same way martial arts feels like a work out; it's not the primary focus, but if you do it right, you're struggling by the end.

Bouldering is my favorite style of climbing - and don't let ANYONE tell you it's easier than roped climbing. Just cuz you're climbing horizontally rather than vertically doesn't make a 5.9 route any easier. Plus - all you really need is a chalk bag for that. :)

What was in your salad? Any proteins?

I've only heard bouldering is actually quite a bit harder than climbing, a V0 route is supposed to be about as difficult as a 5.10. I'll try to get pictures of the routes I'm working on, next time I'm there.

As for my salad, right now we have Romaine, Bak Choy, Mushrooms, Broccoli, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Carrots, and Sunflower Seeds. On mine, I put bacon bits and baked chicken breast. On my wife's we put fake turkey, and hard-boiled eggs.

Progress Report Day 4

Fitness:

"Off Day" - Excess of chair assisted pull-ups, because I got a pull up bar.

Diet:

Had salad with large glass of water for 'Lunch'

School:

Four days of school canceled this past week, because of two days of snow, and new mexico can't handle the cold. (We are in a "State of Emergency" because our natural gas lines aren't equipped to handle the current demand…)

Grinding on research for a couple hours tonight and as much as possible tomorrow.

Only often enough where we cancel everything if a visible amount is attached to the road. We had a "massive" snow storm a couple years ago, and the city shut down for about a week, because we have something like 5 snow plows in the state.

I can just imagine it:

"What is this white stuff coming from the sky?"

"Oh God! Shut everything down!"

LOL.. i can't even imagine what you guys are going through. "Too much snow" is pretty much the norm up here in my parts. Up until this warm snap we had this past week, the snowbanks on either side of my driveway were easily 7ft tall. It was getting to the point that I couldn't manually heave the snow up high enough any more.

LOL.. i can't even imagine what you guys are going through. "Too much snow" is pretty much the norm up here in my parts. Up until this warm snap we had this past week, the snowbanks on either side of my driveway were easily 7ft tall. It was getting to the point that I couldn't manually heave the snow up high enough any more.

Well this was more about the cold and the rolling blackouts in Texas, but we had the lowest temperature it's reached in the 24 year's I've lived here, and there was a natural gas shortage. The next day 9 out of 11 of the buildings at my apt complex had water pipes burst...

Progress Report Day 5

Nothing major to report

Progress Report Day 6

Diet: Salad + Water for lunch.

Exercise: Level 1 Workout A, replacing chair assisted pullups for the lat pulldowns.

School: I got in contact with an author of a paper which part of the basis for the research.

Progress Report Day 7

Diet: --

Exercise: Climbing (got there an hour before closing and had to test)

{

Half of a 5.7 (Purposely fell for the test, I'm now certified in top belay!)

Halfway up on new 5.8s, and my BoE.

Climbed a 5.8

Attempted a handful of V0 bouldering routes (got about halfway up).

Did some climbing on the exercise wall.

Got halfway up the 5.7- that I've yet to be able to climb.

}

School: Worked on compilers assignment.

Incase you're wondering my current Bane of Existence is, (blue taped path)

Posted Image

because I get stuck getting my feet over this over hang.

So jealous of you right now. :) You're making me want to dig my climbing bag out of the trunk of my car and dust the shoes off...

Congrats on your first week! Looks like you're doing great!