• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

werwolf

werwolf takes the challenge

About Me:

I'm at a middleish-point as far as my weight loss journey goes, but I've just started a brand new strength training path that I'm really excited about.

Fitness Goals:

(I'm stealing the Minimum-Expected-Cool method from Sanjh.)

1. Continue to lose weight

Min- lose at least 2lbs

Expected- lose at least 5lbs

Cool- lose 8lbs!

2. Increase from 12 to 15 reps a set

Min- Do this for all moves

Expected- Do for all moves and increase weight on some moves

Cool- All moves and increase weight OR add a set for all moves

3. Attempt proper push-ups

Min- Do one real push-up without pain

Expected- Do 1-5 real push-ups without pain

Cool- Do 1-5 real push-ups without pain each workout

Diet Goal:

(Peanut butter is the devil! The creamy, delicious, pretending-to-be-my-friend devil.)

1. Avoid the peanut butter demon

Min- Slip once or twice, manage to pry my fingers off the jar before it's all gone

Expected- Slip once or twice, but stop at one spoonful

Cool- Let no peanut butter touch my lips all month

Life Goal:

1. Get more sleep

Min- Go to bed before midnight most nights

Expected- Go to bed before 11pm most nights

Cool- Go to bed before 11pm most nights and sleep all the way through

Methodology:

1. Keep going to my gym six days a week and putting in the work.

2. Keep writing in my food journal and really looking at what I fuel my body with.

3. Keep remind myself that I am stronger than peanut butter (I don't even like peanut butter... until I see the jar. It's insanity! lol)

Challenges:

1. Illness, injury, and snow days are always lurking. I will keep them in prospective and not make them the end of the world. I will also do my best to keep good form to avoid injury, take my vitamins and wash my hands frequently to avoid illness, and shake my angry fist at the sky to avoid any more snow.

2. The peanut butter is always in the house. Thankfully the crunchy kind holds less fascination for me. I will not buy a jar of creamy, just to be safe.

3. Pernicious anemia combined with the thyroid problem make me exhausted and freezing cold in the afternoons. I will do my best to warm up without falling asleep under my comfy blankets.

Right... bring on tomorrow!

Hey! Welcome to the challenge!

2. Increase from 12 to 15 reps a set

Min- Do this for all moves

Expected- Do for all moves and increase weight on some moves

Cool- All moves and increase weight OR add a set for all moves

Why 15, specifically? I've personally gotten much better results increasing the weight and doing less reps.

3. Keep remind myself that I am stronger than peanut butter (I don't even like peanut butter... until I see the jar. It's insanity! lol)

why not just... not buy it? or do others in the house eat it?

12-15 just happened to be the base range the trainer I met with gave me as a starting point. Last week I started with 12 out of timidity, so starting this week the first thing I'll do is move up to 15. Then begin the increased weight portion of my challenge.

Peanut butter is a household obsession. I'm pretty sure my parents would eat it by the barrel if it were sold that way. (Much in the way they buy the industrial tubs of butter and bigger-than-your-head bottles of Ranch dressing.) I'm the only one who tries to eat well and watching them eat makes me a little sick to my stomach, so not eating the way they do has never been a problem for me... except that damn peanut butter! lol But I can do it. I am strong like bull.

12-15 just happened to be the base range the trainer I met with gave me as a starting point. Last week I started with 12 out of timidity, so starting this week the first thing I'll do is move up to 15. Then begin the increased weight portion of my challenge.

Peanut butter is a household obsession. I'm pretty sure my parents would eat it by the barrel if it were sold that way. (Much in the way they buy the industrial tubs of butter and bigger-than-your-head bottles of Ranch dressing.) I'm the only one who tries to eat well and watching them eat makes me a little sick to my stomach, so not eating the way they do has never been a problem for me... except that damn peanut butter! lol But I can do it. I am strong like bull.

ah, yes. trainers love 12-15 reps.

i did 12-15 for the longest time, but honestly, never saw any 'real' results until i started doing heavier sets of 3-8.

and i think you can totally beat the peanut butter monster. :D

maybe a little post it taped to it that says "hey, werwolf, this is not for you".

or a poison label? :)

Glad to see someone liked the Min-Expected-Cool method.

I'm now imagining a godzilla-esq monster made of peanut butter. Quite an epic image. I personally would use the imagery of an epic battle against that monster to keep motivated. But that is me.

Glad to see someone liked the Min-Expected-Cool method.

I'm now imagining a godzilla-esq monster made of peanut butter. Quite an epic image. I personally would use the imagery of an epic battle against that monster to keep motivated. But that is me.

Ha! :D But surely if I'm Godzilla in heels, then my nemesis would be a gigantic peanut butter Mothra. I will kick that lepidoptera's ass!

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day One

Fitness Goals

1. I won't know about this one until the end of the month, because I only weigh myself once

2. Strength workout #1 went really well! Increased both reps and weight on all moves!

3. No push-ups included in yesterday's workout, so no proper ones attempted. They'll show up today though.

Diet Goal

1. I was peanut butter free all day.

Life Goal

1. Went to bed around 11:30, but woke up more often than I'd like.

Ok then... onto Day 2!

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Two

Fitness Goals

1. N/A

2. Yesterday was a cardio only day. BUT...

3. Push-ups were done! Proper ones! Ten of them!!! They were teeny tiny compared to my usual range of motion, but they happened and my back didn't hurt. I feel really great about that.

Diet Goal

1. My peanut butter Mothra didn't even tempt me.

Life Goal

1. Went to bed before 11, but couldn't turn my brain off and had trouble both falling asleep and staying asleep. Bugger.

Let's see what today has in store for me.

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Three

Fitness Goals

1. N/A

2. Upped both reps and weight on all moves. (And nearly clocked myself in the head with an 8lb dumbell on the last rep of my lying tricep extensions.)

3. I don't do push-ups on Mondays and Wednesdays. I'm busy doing Downward Dog on those days.

Diet Goal

1. I heard the call of Mothra, but I did not accept her challenge. I am still peanut butter free.

Life Goal

1. Bed a little after 11 (had to watch the end of Top Chef), and slept a little better but still woke up in the night.

Now onto cardio day...

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Four

Fitness Goals

1. N/A

2. Cardio day.

3. 5 proper push-ups (still very small) completed. I was hoping for more, but I'd done Mountain Climbers and Army Crawls already and I didn't want to tempt the fate of the spine gods.

Diet Goal

1. I was temptation free thanks to my built-in (and calorically budgeted for) treat of several squares of super duper dark chocolate. *drool*

Life Goal

1. In bed before 11, but a nightmare at 3am woke me and it took about an hour and a half to calm down enough to go back to sleep.

Thanks for the encouragement Clawed and Lowenna! Today I kickbox and bootcamp. Good times.

Woohoo way to go Wolfy!! (I understand your temptation, I saw discounted cheesecake yesterday while grocery shopping, but ran like heck). Sorry about the nightmare, I know that feeling all too well as my sleep is often 'haunted'. Hope your well rested though.

I *really* wish I had some free time to spend with Photoshop, because this image needs to be made. Seriously. :)

Great job so far, Wer!! Keep up the good work!!

Woohoo way to go Wolfy!! (I understand your temptation, I saw discounted cheesecake yesterday while grocery shopping, but ran like heck). Sorry about the nightmare, I know that feeling all too well as my sleep is often 'haunted'. Hope your well rested though.

Thanks man! :) I window shop the grocery store's bakery too... but only while walking quickly and headed for healthier things like dry roasted edamame and sun-dried tomatoes. Why do they keep those things near one another??

I *really* wish I had some free time to spend with Photoshop, because this image needs to be made. Seriously. :)

Great job so far, Wer!! Keep up the good work!!

Oh I'd LOVE a graphic representation of my peanut butter Mothra! She's a hardcore nasty pain in my butt.

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Five

Fitness Goals

1. N/A

2. Another cardio day.

3. At bootcamp today we used the stability balls and I did way more knee tucks than I thought my back would tolerate, so I'm pleased with that. Not exactly a push-up, but serious shoulder/back/arm work.

Diet Goal

1. The peanut butter is the only thing in the house I didn't eat. ... I was doing just fine until my brother called our father to say that we needed to meet him in Chattanooga tomorrow so that I can go live with my brother and his wife for awhile (no timeline was given) in case her boss wants to interview me for a job at their company. Now, this is a great financial opportunity for me because I've been unemployed since I moved back to the US in 2009 and I'm really REALLY trying to keep that at the forefront of my mind. (That and the fact that it's super nice of my brother's wife to have lined this up for me.) But I am so stressed about all the logistics of getting ready, in one evening, to pretty much move to another state. Just when I was starting my weight training and getting really excited about it I'm not going to have a gym anymore. (I guess I'll be lifting bottles of water or something in my brother's basement. How depressing.) I also won't have the classes that I love going to or even a treadmill. It's going to be outside in the cold (and rain lately) doing sad little loops around my brother's neighborhood. And I'll be leaving my cats here because he won't allow them in his house, so that's more stress for them (they don't like my parents) and more work for my parents having to look after them. I don't have my own car, so at my brother's I'll have no means of getting anywhere on my own and I'll be completely at the mercy of other people to go anywhere or get anything. The bed at his house hurts my back when I sleep in it for more than a few nights, so that really worries me. I've looked into the gyms around his house and the only one with classes (because they're what keep me entertained, which we all know is so important to sticking with a program) is the YMCA which, for some unknown reason, closes their f-ing gym from 3-5 every day! Why would you do that?? I can see not having classes if you think people will be at work, but to not let anybody use the equipment at all? Bollocks to that. ... I'm not even done with the list of obsessive worry, but I'm sure you've already gotten the point that I'm super conflicted about the whole thing. And the fact that I feel like it was sprung on me without proper notice (I'm on the autism spectrum, I'm not good with sudden change) is making me nuts. So the stress eating began because... well, because that's what happens. I recognize it for what it is and I gave into it willingly. Ugh. This is the best situation for me financially, but it's SO not the best situation for me mentally or physically. How do you make a choice like that?

Life Goal

1. I usually post in the morning so I can talk about how I slept the night before, but since it's nearly 11pm now and I'm still doing laundry (since I wasn't expecting to need to pack for an indefinite amount of time) and I still need to pack I don't think I'm going to make my goal. And judging by how I'm feeling I hold out no hope for good quality sleep either.

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Six

Fitness Goals

1. N/A

2. Since I expect to be gymless all week, I took all the weight training moves (moves? poses? I'm used to yoga) I'm meant to do during the week and did them today! And, forgive my language and lack of humility, I fucking KILLED it! I love love love how much better doing that made me feel emotionally. I can almost fully deal with the situation now, which I obviously wasn't doing last night.

3. I did three sets of everything and made sure to include at least 5 proper pushups in each set. I've got to work on my range of motion though.

Diet Goal

1. I refuse to feel guilty about last night's freak-out binge. It happened, I let it happen because it was my way of coping with the mental overload, I will try to do better in future, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm just going to resume my normal eating patterns today and feel good about that. I will continue to deny the PBM (Peanut Butter Mothra).

Life Goal

1. Turns out my mom woke up with flu (which my father is just getting over) so rather than drive me to Chattanooga to meet my brother today, they're just going to have me take one of their cars and drive myself to his house tomorrow. That means I get another day in my comfortable bed with my babies (yes, the cats both sleep in bed with me, I'm THAT girl lol). I expect a vastly superior night's sleep tonight. I'm actually looking forward to it.

There's no way to always prevent things falling to hell. The only thing we can do is deal with it the best way we can, put on our big kid pants, and keep going forward.

P.S. I cannot say how much I love going to the gym, if only for the way it helps adjust my attitude.

Ah wer, you know there are always bumps in the road, some are like speed bumps, some are like freshly made gravel roads. They both require perseverance in order to succeed. I'd focus on the victories, and realize that stress does crazy things to us. I have to say I'm sorry you have to leave your fuzzies behind (I have several fuzzies at the farm that I miss), but who knows, if everything works out, you get on your feet, and then you can get them back. Make that your goal, and go at it with a passion unheard of. Cause the only time you really lose is when you start thinking you can't win or that there's nothing worth fighting for. Keep up the good fight.

Thanks man. There's a massive amount of background PhD stress/emotional turmoil for me right now as well, so I think that's why I just lost the plot about the situation. I try very hard to keep my shit together and stay calm, but my inital reaction to things can be pretty sharp and violent. I know in my head that I'll make whatever happens work for me somehow... it's just that emotional part of my brain that starts seeing all the ways things are going to be terrible and it spirals down from there. I've got a rein on it now though (thanks to giving myself the time I need to let my rational side put the emotional side in a submission hold and spending a blissful few hours not thinking about anything in the gym). :)

P.S. The farm? In New Hampshire? You know I'm picturing the Bartlett's farm from The West Wing, right?

I fucking KILLED it!

Woot! Well done!

Good luck with the job opportunity, I know how dispiriting job hunting can be, just keep your chin up.

I'm glad you're not beating yourself up about your eating last night, it doesn't do any good. Everyone falls down occasionally, it's how well you pick yourself up and get back on the horse that tells you who you are. Sorry if that's a bit cheesy.

If you're still with your lovely kitties give them a cuddle from me. I fully intend to become a crazy cat lady, cats are the best thing, I miss mine she's living with my mum while I'm at uni. Hope that you can get yours back with you soon.

Edited by Lowenna
spelling, again. Should really proof read.

Woot! Well done!

Good luck with the job opportunity, I know how dispiriting job hunting can be, just keep your chin up.

I'm glad you're not beating yourself up about your eating last night, it doesn't do any good. Everyone falls down occasionally, it's how well you pick yourself up and get back on the horse that tells you who you are. Sorry if that's a bit cheesy.

If you're still with your lovely kitties give them a cuddle from me. I fully intend to become a crazy cat lady, cats are the best thing, I miss mine she's living with my mum while I'm at uni. Hope that you can get yours back with you soon.

My babies and I still have tonight together, so I will give them your love and a cuddle. :) I am well on my way to being the quintessential crazy cat lady and the only problem I have with that title is that it doesn't leave room for the fact that I also love dogs! lol

Also, I have been inspiried by your super cute avatar to stop hiding behind my teacup and have a photo of myself next to my words.

Ah, the avatar, the only photo of myself I actually like. And it's one where I'm under a duvet and asleep, I had no idea it got taken 'till I saw it on facebook. Yeah, that says a lot about me.

Glad to put a face to the words. Hi *waves*. No need for you to hide, you're very pretty.

Do you always sleep all snuggled up like that? How adorable! Like a little chipmunk or something.

Hi! *waves back in a stereotypically overexcited American fashion* Thanks for the compliment! That was taken on my 30th birthday and it took a Glam Squad of three of my friends (all of whom are far girlier than I) to get me looking like that. It was pretty cool.