• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

werwolf

werwolf takes the challenge

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, I love walking down the confectionery isle in Lidl, like some kind of iron man challenge, telling all the chocolate bars I'm better than them.....yes I know i have strange ways of boosting my ego/confidence

Lidl holds a strange fascination for me. All those weird random Eastern European products for insanely low prices. I think I once had jam made by Nazis out of spit and twigs. (Points to whomever can identify that stolen quazi-quote.)

i try not to talk to my food, but I have to admit that cheesecake calls to me like Dracula calls his Zombies

I've told you about the damn near sexual thoughts I was having about cheesecake back in November... they surface every one in awhile. Cheesecake is like a dirty weekend with a man I vaguely hate but can't get enough of.

Cheesecake is a temptress who I hate, but absolutely love. Until the experience is over, the sugar high disappears, and I end up hating my scale *pouts*

How's the workouts going at the new gym? You teach everyone who's boss yet?

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Thirteen

Fitness Goals

1. *removed from server*

2. It was a cardio day when I decided to hit up the kickboxingesque class at the gym to try it out. I did TurboKick at my old gym so I figured I wouldn't be completely lost. The studio was packed and there were even quite a few men there, so I had an inkling it wasn't going to be a faff about sort of class. There was one other person who'd never done it before (and he was stupid enough to raise his hand and admit this fact) and he left half-way through! He quit! I was flabbergasted. Who quits? I mean, sure, it was HARD and I was sweating like a racehorse, but you don't just quit. Even if you get a cramp or something, you at least keep your feet moving and try to come back in when you've caught your breath. For pete's sake. I walked out of there feeling like a champion.

3. No pushups were done in any fashion.

Diet Goal

1. I was too busy making my brother's wife really angry to think about peanut butter. I think I've ruined shopping for her. I'm THAT bad at it.

Life Goal

1. Stayed up later than I wanted because, again, we ate dinner so f-ing late. And then I was looking at the new clothes I have and had a mini-panic attack when I realized that after shopping more in the last few days than I have in my entire life, I still only have five dresses and five tops and a skirt. That's only enough for two weeks of work. So I have to go back out again today. I don't like the odds of my sleeping well tonight either since tomorrow's when I start the job I haven't actually been offered yet, which doesn't have a job title, a salary, or any benefits yet either, and I'll be spending even more time with my brother's wife who now hates me because I suck so badly at being female.

Why the removal of goal #1? I understand different scales, but there shouldn't be that much of a difference...

Hehehehehe. Good for you at doing something evil :D Though I'm not sure that shopping is as bad as you make it out to be. Shopping can be fun under the right circumstances, plans, and goals.

Though with my current weight, the only thing I have fun with when shopping is electronics and home furnishings. Oh, and cookware! I could buy a williams-sonoma store lock, stock and barrel :)

Isn't two weeks of clothes enough? Or buy another skirt or two and do some mixing and matching?

Perhaps your sister-in-law will calm down? I doubt with your hatred of shopping that you'll give into her idea of what women are supposed to be, so I guess you just need to brainwash her into seeing your point of view *evil smirk*

Good luck on the first day of work :)

Edited by Clawed_Bear

Good work soldiering on, although it sounds like things are pretty mixed up and less than ideal. As long as you keep moving forward you will get there in the end...

Why the removal of goal #1? I understand different scales, but there shouldn't be that much of a difference...

I tend to agree. Or find some new scales, measure now and start again from here and the end of the month with say goals cut in half?

About removing goal #1: The weight loss thing at this point isn't a big deal for me, but being inaccurate (even if it's only a little) is a big deal for me, so I'm really not bothered about just starting anew next challenge with a new scale (hopefully one that is mine and mine alone). It's about knowing what's going to make me weird and stress me out and what isn't. I don't require additional stress at the moment.

About the clothes: I had to get a running start as it were as the next couple of weekends will be devoted to getting my crap down here from TN rather than traipsing around a mall. And shopping after work is a no-go as I'll be desperate to get to the gym before I fall asleep after getting up at the butt-crack of dawn to take my meds, spend way too long getting ready, have breakfast, and drive through Atlanta traffic to get to work.

On a happier and much less stressful note: Happy Valentine's Day everybody!

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day... Um... Eighteen?

Fitness Goals

2. & 3. No workouts have been done so far this week thanks to the new work schedule. Things are expected to calm down next week, not only because it won't be my first week and I won't be as stressed out about things in general, but also because this week some company big wigs were visiting the office and so meetings were running over and making us leave later than we normally would. The sister-in-law is usually home by 5pm (because that's when the greyhound needs to be fed) and so that means I would have a good hour and a half or two hours of gym time before being able to eat dinner at a reasonable hour and getting to bed around 10 or so. (I get up at 5am now so we can leave for the office at 7am.) This week we've been getting home around 7pm, and there's just no way I could have then gone to the gym on an empty stomach, come home at 9pm, eaten, and tried to be in bed early enough to not fall asleep at my desk the next morning. Plus, my free trial ran out on Tuesday and my brother intends to add me to his membership and was away on business, so hopefully he'll do that for next week. ... Now, don't get me wrong, I am well aware that these are all excuses and justifications and I could have just gotten my ass up and done something. But I didn't. So that's how it was.

Diet Goal

1. The PBM can't hold a candle to the cupcakes my brother sent to the office for Valentine's Day. *sigh* lol

Life Goal

1. I've been trying really hard to get to bed early, especially since my wake up time moved up two more hours, but worry is a pain in the butt and keeps me awake. And feeling shit about how badly I've handled the stress doesn't help. And my idiot not-soon-enough to-be ex-boyfriend completely ignoring Valentine's Day, a holiday the usually completely unromantic me actually thinks is cute and fun, wasn't helping either. It's hard to fall asleep when you're mentally lecturing someone on how to be a better partner for the next girl.

I'm sure that wasn't easy to write, but it's good to get that stuff out there so you can look back at it (and maybe getting it out of your head will help with sleeps). It doesn't look like you're beating yourself up about the cupcake situation, so that's good. Hang in there!

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Twenty

Fitness Goals

2. Spent four hours in my lovely gym in TN to make up for my lack of enthusiasm about going to the icky YMCA in GA. It was a cardio day, but I did do the cardio lifting class that has always scared me before. I figured now could be my last chance to try it out and I didn't want to miss it out of fear. I did just fine by making some modifications to the moves I was especially worried about.

3. Proper pushups done and range of motion improved. :)

Diet Goal

1. That stupid cabinet, or as I think of it, the "Lair of PBM" was always in the corner of my eye, but I did not give in to it.

Life Goal

1. Not sleeping well all week + getting up at 5am + being due for another B12 shot + four hours of gym time = werwolf asleep at the helm, er, keyboard around 9:30pm last night. I went to bed after that and enjoyed my wonderful, non-painful, bed. I'm going to miss my cats and my bed and my gym the most out of everything. Today I'm boxing up my stuff for the move tomorrow. I doubt I'll sleep as well tonight because I'll know it's my last night.

Spent four hours in my lovely gym in TN to make up for my lack of enthusiasm about going to the icky YMCA in GA. It was a cardio day, but I did do the cardio lifting class that has always scared me before. I figured now could be my last chance to try it out and I didn't want to miss it out of fear. I did just fine by making some modifications to the moves I was especially worried about.

4 hours in the gym! That is quite literally a marathon, or would be if you replaced gym with running... awesome!

Thumbs up to the pushups improvement too. Sometimes it's hard to notice changes day to day but to be able to look back and see that you've improved is fantastic!

A good beds is so valuable. Hope you can get things sorted in the new location ASAP.

Great work on being a gym rat :) I can't imagine being without either of my cats (the gray one follows me -everywhere-) so I am sad with you that you have to leave yours behind. Maybe they can come to live with you soon.

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Twenty-Two

Fitness Goals

2. I really think that the cardio lifting class I did should count as a strength training day, because holy crap am I sore! lol Luckily today was streching and yoga so I am feeling all kinds of bendy and nice. Super sad that I won't get to go back to my gym though. And, to add injury to injury, I can't join the stupid YMCA because they define 'family' as parents and children and not siblings, even if they live in the same house. So because it would be an annual contract plus a membership fee (and we don't know how long I'll be here) it would be cost prohibitive to join. So now I'm down to Planet Fitness or Curves, neither of which strikes my fancy in the slightest. The only other option would be to go a little further away and try out LA Fitness. Ugh. It looks like this week it'll be walks around the neighborhood until I can weigh out all the options. But, something is better than nothing, right?

3. No pushups, just downward dogs.

Diet Goal

1. Didn't give in to either PBM or that giant box of cupcakes still sitting on the counter. :)

Life Goal

1. I miss my TN bed already. But hopefully I'll sleep ok tonight because I'll be on my own in the office tomorrow. The sister-in-law, who is also the person responsible to train me and set up all my desky stuff (like email access and a laptop), won't be coming to work because she has a dentist appointment to go to in the middle of the day. So she'll be working from home and I'll be working at her desk trying to look busy. I'll also be driving my parents' car to work, which had the 'change oil' light come on while I was driving down here today.

There was something else I was going to ramble about, but now I've forgotten it. Ah well. You're probably better off as it was most likely me complaining about something else. ;)

Good job on the diet! The peanut butter mothra must be defeated!

LA fitness is okay, though negotiate! I was able to talk the salesman down and hem and haw and eventually get a decent contract...I just stuck to that one gym (instead of being able to go to all of them) and it was like 35 bucks a month and free to join as long as I was there for a year...(that was back when I did the whole 'gym' thing).

Something is definitely better than nothing!

I'd avoid Curves if I were you, they are a bit wet really and you seem to do some pretty hardcore workouts. If you can't find somewhere decent we could try being gym-less together if you want :).

Good going on the peanut butter. She is a foul temptress who must be defeated.

Wolfy, PF isn't that bad. I actually like it because they have options whether you want to be a machine rat or a free weight beast. Plus they'll tailor plans to your needs. Sadly I don't think they'll teach you yoga

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Twenty-Six (Holy crap is it seriously Day Twenty-Six?)

Fitness Goals

2. Tried out one of the two La Fitness' that are nearish to my brother's house. (And in my head I keep calling it La Fitness rather than L.A. Fitness. lol) It was really nice. Bright and open and new and super clean. I love me some clean. They have an area that has exactly what I need in it: BOSU, ball, hand weights, mirror, and (very importantly) room to move! I took the cardio lifting class the offered and it was fun. I think La Fitness may be the place for me. :)

3. Five proper pushups with better range of motion, bit of a twinge in the back though, so I didn't try for more.

Diet Goal

1. Being in a house without any trace of PBM means that I am virtually free from her grasp. The occasional wayward thought is easily ignored.

Life Goal

1. Trying to adjust to the new schedule. Right now it's been in bed around 11ish and up at 5am. Which doesn't actually give me that much sleep. So last night I tried to go to bed earlier but ended up awake and desperate to pee at 3am. lol Stupid bladder.

Somehow, when I'm feeling all tired and shitty and so done dealing with my brother's wife, I completely forget how great I feel after I've worked out. I went into the gym tonight because I was a woman on a mission, not because I wanted to go, and I was so tired and annoyed with everything. I left giggling and dancing in the car to Rhianna's new single. Working out is the best stress relief ever. Even better than sex. Because sex has it's own set of issues and anxieties and complications because you have to deal with another person. Working out is just you and your body doing something great for your health. Awesome. I needed to write that down so I'll have it to refer back to when I'm making excuses about how tired and icky I feel.

Big ol' windmill high-five for the update (Top Gun style). It sounds like you're making great progress.

sex has it's own set of issues and anxieties and complications because you have to deal with another person

The Japanese are working on this- guaranteed!! :)

Big ol' windmill high-five for the update (Top Gun style). It sounds like you're making great progress.

The Japanese are working on this- guaranteed!! :)

That's funny, I don't care who you are

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Twenty-Seven

Fitness Goals

2. Nice long morning in the gym on my guest pass. I didn't do any of my own strength training because I was busy sampling the class offerings. There was a serious wackadoo in the yoga class I took, so that was amusing, although a little awkward as I made every effort to avoid catching her eye in the mirror lest she want to start talking to me. I felt kinda bad for the instructor girl because nutso parked her mat right in the front and proceeded to talk about how she pays too much money or something.

3. Five proper pushups with better range of motion, pt. 2.

Diet Goal

1. Now, technically the protein bar I had yesterday was peanut butter flavored. However, since no actual peanut butter went into it, and it tastes nothing like anything resembling peanut butter, I do not think this counts as a PBM attack.

Life Goal

1. In bed early and slept wellish. Something's got to be done about this bed though.

Thusfar: A Progress Report on Day Twenty-Eight!

Fitness Goals

2. There was meant to be another cardio lifting class today, but the instructor never showed. So I just did my own lifting program with my upped weights. I am now also the proud owner of an La Fitness membership.

3. No pushups today. Muaw ha ha ha!

Diet Goal

1. Not even pseudo-peanut butter today.

Life Goal

1. Staying up to watch the Oscars. :)

End of Challenge Report

Fitness Goals

So let's recap my original goals and then look at how I fared:

1. Continue to lose weight

Min- lose at least 2lbs

Expected- lose at least 5lbs

Cool- lose 8lbs!

This goal was officially deleted due to my change of venue and lack of scale consistency. However, I must admit that I did manage to get back to my TN doctor's office and take an official weight... I lost two pounds. I was amazed and angry. Amazed that even with all my self-destructive eating behaviour and inability to maintain my fitness schedule I still managed to lose my minimum. Angry that I'd been so screwed up mentally and physically by all the stress and chaos and change and let it derail what had been a steady decline in numbers. I will recommit myself to the next challenge and give myself a C for this goal.

2. Increase from 12 to 15 reps a set

Min- Do this for all moves

Expected- Do for all moves and increase weight on some moves

Cool- All moves and increase weight OR add a set for all moves

I missed a lot of planned strength training, but when I did do it, I did it right. I get an unqualified A for this goal.

3. Attempt proper push-ups

Min- Do one real push-up without pain

Expected- Do 1-5 real push-ups without pain

Cool- Do 1-5 real push-ups without pain each workout

I get a B for this one. Because, frankly, I couldn't always be arsed to do pushups in every work out. That's the only thing that kept me from the Cool result.

Diet Goal

1. Avoid the peanut butter demon

Min- Slip once or twice, manage to pry my fingers off the jar before it's all gone

Expected- Slip once or twice, but stop at one spoonful

Cool- Let no peanut butter touch my lips all month

Except for the not-even-remotely-peanut-buttery protein bar, which SO doesn't count, no peanut butter has passed these lips all month. A!

Life Goal

1. Get more sleep

Min- Go to bed before midnight most nights

Expected- Go to bed before 11pm most nights

Cool- Go to bed before 11pm most nights and sleep all the way through

I'd like to say I met my Expected requirements, but I probably didn't. So I get a C for this. That being said, my sleep has only gotten worse at my brother's house because this bed is far too soft for my spine to take. We're going to sort that out. Hopefully soon.

So, this month was unexpected to say the least. I had no idea when I started this challenge that I'd end it in a different state with a brand new job but none of the comforts of pets or solitude. I'm going to have to grossly oversimplify here... but it's been emotionally gut wrenching. I hope that this next month/challenge will see me more stable and calm and back on a fitness path I can feel good about. It's just a stroke of luck that I appear to have done well on this month's challenge. I managed to pick goals that were difficult when I was stable but paled into trivial when everything was in upheaval. But we pick up and we do better, that's the Way of the Rebel. Bring on March 7th!

With your ending remarks about rebels and the rebellion, I'm thinking that this challenge theme could have been 'The Empire strikes back!' and that you should name the next challenge 'The Return of the Jedi'...yeah, I know, I'm officially a nerd :D

Why not steal the bed from your parent's house? And good job with all of the things that have happened in the last month...here's to the next challenge!

I just wanted to chime in and say congrats on your work this month. I know it's frustrating to look back and see that you didn't destroy every single goal, but honestly, with all the changes you've had, you've done wonderfully. Take some time to get settled in in your new place and get your routine down, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress next challenge. :)