aj_rock's Offseason Battle Log

Ok, getting pretty ticked off here.

Doing circuits yesterday, partway through the second circuit I pulled up lame because of what felt like a gluteal cramp/strain in my right side again. Now it's not just by chance. Something's going on over there, and if I don't manage to figure out a solution it might start impacting my ability to play. Thing is, it ONLY seems to show up when doing circuits.

Think I'm gonna start incorporating gluteal strengthening exercises sooner rather than later. This stuff can't wait. I can't wait.

Strong glutes are happy glutes!

I think we all appreciate a shiner... no need to wait :P

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

One legged stiff legged Romanian dead lifts. That could be a line from a Dr Seuss book. 

Show us your shiner matey, go on.

High balls, on the jump, knees up is the way to go, or you could go a karate kick on the jump, works well, but if you snag someone with the end of your boot.. well yeah, you got the ball though.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

One legged stiff legged Romanian dead lifts. That could be a line from a Dr Seuss book. 

Show us your shiner matey, go on.

High balls, on the jump, knees up is the way to go, or you could go a karate kick on the jump, works well, but if you snag someone with the end of your boot.. well yeah, you got the ball though.

With sufficient encouragement maaaaaybe I will :P

Good to know though, sounds like that time I spent playing keeper for footie might come in handy after all...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Alright, so I've been pretty quiet on my own log here, despite a multitude of posts for other people. I'm in a bit of an injury quandary at the moment. Thought taking last week off from lifting/shifting to maintenance calories would help, but alas, after another pre-season game yesterday, I do indeed think I've bummed my right shoulder already.

From loading combinations during rugby (impact both direct and indirect), I likely have impingement syndrome and maybe some tearing in the rotator cuff or SLAP. Nothing that I believe will prevent me from playing (s'long as I mind my presence around the forwards), but by and large the main treatment method is rest, icing, and NSAIDS (which I can't use, unless someone can find one easy on the stomach, they always give me mad heartburn -_-). Gonna have to do more research to see what exercises I can do. Re my usual routine:

- squats, both front and back, are out. A test of the shoulder position for back squats gives pain, and front squats, given the shoulder loading, are out of the question.

- Deadlifts should be ok, but I'll have to get in the gym to test this. Also, if these are ok, then perhaps DB squats/lunges n such should be ok.

- No incline or military presses. Chances are I'll need to stick to machines for chest exercise as well, keep the shoulder out of the picture

- chin-ups and pull-ups are out, shoulder isn't working with overhead movement. Will need to stick to rows

Well, this isn't quite how I imagined wrapping up this log, but you win some, you lose some. I'll be posting pictures and average workout numbers for post and pre this off-season, and everyone can see what I've done with the 5.5 months time I've been given. It's been a blast, and look for a new in-season log popping up sometime in the next week or so.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I do indeed think I've bummed my right shoulder already.

Ugh, frustrating.  As someone else currently dealing with a right shoulder injury, I totally feel for you.  I've been going through the Supple Leopard recommendations for shoulder injuries, and they all help but definitely not to the level of "woohoo I'm better!"

It sounds like you've got a good handle on what exercises make sense for you right now.

Take it easy and feel better soon!

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Hey leopard, show us your spots. Stay away from those forwards.

Alright alright alright.

Last pre-season game tomorrow, so now's as good a time as any.

I'm gonna do a full review of everything from the past few months. Workout weights are for 5X, while pull-ups is for reps @ BW. 

Start Date: Nov. 19th

Weight: 195 lbs

BF%: around 16-17

Deadlift: 143 kg

Squat: 255

Hs Bench: 248

Incline DB Press: 65

Rows: 220

Pull-ups: 8

Cardio: non-existant

Going with highest achieved weights because I know once I'm done re-building from maintenance I'll be up to snuff in a week or so.

End date: May 3rd

Weight: 185 (-10)

BF %: 12 (-4.5)

LBM: -3 ??? (funny because I'm definately stronger...)

Deadlift: 150 kg (+15.5 lbs)

Squat: 295 (+40)

Hs Bench: 268 (+20)

Incline DB Press: 80 (+30 across both arms)

Rows: 230 (+10)

Pull-ups: 15 (+7, almost 100% more!)

Cardio: I iz runnings teh circuls around teh peepulz lulululul

This is all after 5.5 months of work.

Unfortunately, i don't have true before pictures of me at 195, so you'll have to just make do with the afters:

That being said, yesterday was my first practice back with my mates in the Hornets, and I've officially been shifted from wing to fullback. I couldn't be more excited. I think I can contribute a lot more to the offense in this position and I love nothing more than destroying kids in the open field to save tries.

Of course, that also officially concludes my off-season battle log. Stay tuned for a ninja edit later after I've started up the in-season log with a report from our last pre-season game against crew.

This is aj_rock wishing everyone good luck in the current challenge.

I'm about to get a bit more serious about lifting and cutting BF% so this thread was an interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Well done on the results, you've made some really great progress.

How tall are you?

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Thanks! ... Of course I would leave out height data *face palm*

I'm 187 cm, or about 6'1/2. You'll notice that I'm a fair shake lighter than other people around my height (like Waldo), but at a lower weight despite similar or advantageous strength abilities. Just goes to show you how important both genetics and straight up neural factors are in determining your strength. I come from a family where my father was a good 20-40 lbs less than even me at this age (well he's also shorter). Case and point, don't measure yourself against other people, measure against yourself and where you come from.  

Nice work over the offseason.

How do you measure BF%? Calipers? Tape?

I wouldn't worry too much about the LBM, shifting glycogen has a funny way of affecting the scale. My rapid loss of about 3 lbs LBM when I was at maintenence really wasn't anything but extra water in the muscles, I expect it to come back easy. I lost no strength, though my muscles do have a consistent "fuck it" attitude regarding working out since as opposed to "go, go, go", probably a sign of low locally available fuel.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Just tape method. As of late I've been backing off tracking the numbers, mostly due to the upcoming season. Basically, it is what it is now and I need to keep focused on moving forward with game prep, strategy, and skill and just maintaining physique. Headed back for my first gym session since messing my shoulder up a bit later today, so we'll see how stuff goes.

Mmmmm hmmmm. Yup.

Seems like things are quite in order here. 

Great work! I had no doubt, of course. 

Also: congrats on fullback! Woot, woot!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Did you check the tests for a SLAP tear or see a doctor about the shoulder?

My next doctors appt isn't until june, where I will be dumping a host of physiological issues on his plate. My family doctor is singularly unhelpful because he seems to feel that, given my age and athletic build, I'm in perfect working condition next to his more senior patients and shouldn't waste his time. AKA he's kind of an asshat. Our new trainer for rugby is also useless/hasn't been at the last couple games, so  haven't been able to consult with anyone personally.

Also, THANKS LAURAAAAAAA

My next doctors appt isn't until june, where I will be dumping a host of physiological issues on his plate. My family doctor is singularly unhelpful because he seems to feel that, given my age and athletic build, I'm in perfect working condition next to his more senior patients and shouldn't waste his time. AKA he's kind of an asshat. Our new trainer for rugby is also useless/hasn't been at the last couple games, so  haven't been able to consult with anyone personally.

Also, THANKS LAURAAAAAAA

Posted a link to it in Catspaws thread, but there is a real good shoulder exam series of videos on youtube (Dr. Hutchinson I think) that you can go through and do all the basic tests (Edit,

). Useful for ruling out things. Slap tear is one of those that is really easy to rule out. Pass all 3 tests and you almost certainly do not have it. It seems all the basic shoulder tests are better at figuring out what you don't have than what you do. Process of elimination.

I've thought that I had a slap tear a couple times, always passed the tests fine. Also thought I had impingement, but always passed the tests fine.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

So from those videos (thanks Waldo!), doesn't look like any of the above. Not sure if there's still enough pain to really diagnose anything, so I'll just go with it from here on.

New log is up:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/28333-aj-rocks-rugby-season-domination/

It's been a treat guys, be sure to come over and keep up! Last one out hit the lights will ya?