aj_rock's Offseason Battle Log

You know, your workout schedule kind of resembles Texas Method, with HT/cardio thrown in on non lifting days. The basic gist is volume/recovery/intensity on M/W/F split. You even get to keep your cleans for intensity day. Just my two cents.

On a side note, good to see you back on the boards.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I'd never really left! Just had a busier schedule is all...

I've never really closely examined texas method. Not a totally uncommon way to split intensity on days though: my program closely resembles those used by athletes under instruction of a coach or another. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside to know I'm not totally screwing up my own programming :)

@PatG: DOUBLE CLAP PUSHUPS INDEED. I can only get out like four before I run into danger of face pulling a smashey smashey with the ground.

It's also not reaaally pre-season. More like off-season. Just something to keep us out of trouble (not that it works...). I've basically pulled calorie intakes up to normal levels; there's too much going on with this semester in general to try any dietary shenanigans. Just playing by ear and watching the scale. Results thus far I feel are pretty good though!

Which brings us to today's workout:

Cleans: Warmed up with 90, then 155, then 175. Failed first three tries at 195, then got two, the failed one, then got two, and so on... when I felt unable to give any more, I lowered the weight down to 175 again and owned every rep. I'm getting the hang of these things again.

Box Jumps: Started at 42", tried 45" only made a couple jumps, was heading into single legs and the right knee felt off, so I let it be. I was happy enough with clean progress to just let it be.

Clap Push-ups: warmed up a bit, then straight into a set of 5 doubles. Did three more for a second set, and finished with another five single claps. One last set of 8 singles.

Still can't muscle-up :( 

A lot less items chronically on these days, but CLEANS TAKE SO FRIGGIN LONG. I look up at the clock after like ten reps total and see that 15 minutes flew by. Sheesh!

Tomorrow's a big day. I gotta start getting the deadlift numbers back up. I've decided to permanently move squats to wednesday or thursday, because doing both on the same day ain't workin right now.

Started creatine supplementing again as well. One level teaspoon in my pre-workout protein (which also usually contains no small amount of caffeine) and I'm set.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Jan 29th,

Deadlifts: 355 X 4, 340 X 3

HS BP: 258 X 5, 248 X 4, 228 X 3 (Quick drop set between the last two)

Seated rows: 215 X 5, 210 X 5

Incline DB BP: 70 X 6, 5

Pulldowns:  215 X 5, 210 X 5

So basically, smashed PR's on a couple lifts here: Bench and incline press are the heaviest I've ever completed, and deads are back where they were.

Squats? Well did some this morning: 275 X 4, 3. Not stellar numbers, but I feel I should move them permanently to Thursday from now on. Wednesdays will be just easy cardio and stretching.

That being said, I'm a couple weeks out from phase two: Cleans are definitely gonna stall soon, so maybe only a week out. Hmmm will have to think about priorities...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Power cleans indeed. I don't wanna jerk (lawl) mostly because I don't see quite as high a relevance to rugby.

HS = hammer strength, one of these guys

big_hs_isol_hbench_lg.jpg

Yah yah I know, doesn't really get much stabilizer action; that's what the dumbbell exercises are for. Due to previous separation injuries in my shoulders though, I experience pain any time I try to load more than 155 on a regular bench. So I've basically given it up and split the chest work between this pseudo-isolation and stabilizer work with DBs. As you can see from the DB numbers though, I'm not really suffering for it :)

And the worst part is that the docs told me it's not worth fixing unless I damage them both more severely. Don't know what sort of message he was trying to send... Maybe I should work on making my tackle form more sloppy....

Ok, two days of reporting to do because I dashed off to a show after one and SUPERBOWLLLLL.

Erm, anyways.

Saturday: Made silver circuit with 15 seconds to spare. Time to head to the gold standard.

Did some DB presses and rows after. High rep stuff, absolutely miserable. Think I used 45's for the press, I should probably track the high-rep numbers more closely :/

Today: Backed waaaaay off the cleans because I've been having some lower back issues. Herniated a disc a few years back and I'd be loathe to repeat the injury. 

So basically,
Cleans: worked up to 155, threw the weight around a bit, then stopped when the back started getting tight.

Clap Push-ups: same old.

Not sure yet how much I'll try to push on squats tomorrow. We'll see how the ole back feels, but I might take the whole week easy for the heavy core lifts, JIC.

Strenghth day yesterday. Back's still iffy, but squats made me feel better actually!

Squats: 255 X 8, 275 X 5 (I WANTED to start with 285 and see the new PR, but I was afeared for my back)

HS BP: 268 X 5, 258 X 5, 248 X 4 (BOOYAH)

Lat Pulls: 225 X 5, 215 X 5

DB Incline Press: 70 X 5, 60 X 8

I think I'm gonna move deadlifts to Thursday permanently now. Gives me more of a boost with other backercises, and gives a two day rest away from squats.

As much as I wish to believe, squats caaaaan break things. In the right context. It was dangerous to even go that heavy cuz i feel the herniation is nigh on inevitable... might skip deads this week.

Nice long easy 40 minute run this morning. Was gonna join our varsity ruggers for a sesh tomorrow morning but I have a client meeting for a project that would interfere :( 

Haha there's a lap bar you put your legs under. Pistols are definitely going under consideration.

Seth: trust me, lower back musculature is not the issue. Volume is. I used to have only two days where lower back was being used extensively and with the addition of power clean days it went up to four. High rep anything with lower back is generally counter-indicated for me :P

Ok, been kinda quiet the last couple days. Tons of snow here so the gym was closed Friday. Thursday did a 1 1/2 mile run, came in at 10:43 with a 7:16 mile split. Not terrible, but I'm still trying to figure out the appropriate pace.

Stand by for circuit times sometime tomorrow. I'm also going on modified duty for weight lifting until my back stops complaining. Pistol squats it is for the next couple weeks.

Bah. Did gold circuit yesterday; was just too tired Saturday so I took my rest day early. 

Goal time: 37:00

Time: 39:01

So I obviously finally have some solid work to do. Felt kinda sick after I finished though; not sure if it was lack of sleep, food, or simply pushing myself too hard (I do that sometimes >.>)

Anyways, due to the modified program now, the high vs low intensity of monday tuesday has gone down the tube. I'm gonna switch from full body strength day to a split workout monday tuesday with running post workout. Gonna have to start stepping the fitness training up.

Speaking of which, Ontario Blues try-outs are nextnext weekend. Seriously considering going. 

What's the harm in it :P

Ok, workouts are gonna look a little different. 

HS BP: 283 X 3, 273 X 3, 248 X 5 definitely suffered after doing the circuits only yesterday

Pistol Squats: sets of 6, 8 per leg, then 5 ATG. I feel like I shall lose no strength doing these instead of back squats

Incline DB BP: 70 X 6, 60 X 8

Overhead DB press: 45 X 10

In/Ex rotations: 25 and 15 respectively

10' run

So tomorrow will be more pistols and Back exercises. Since there's no super heavy stuff for the legs, the volume should go up jussss a bit.

Also gotta start thinking about spring cut. I want to work around end of exams, so let's set target date tentatively for April 27th.

Start point: currently around 187. Initial weight loss of 5 lbs expected, so true start will be 182. Gained three lbs since the end of last cut.

I liked where I was, but I wanna do better. Let's aim for 173, for another 6 lbs lost from lowest, and 9 lbs altogether. Conservatively, 1 lb/week means a little over two month cut. If we target two months of cutting, that gives me a start date of March 2nd. Which is also Blues tryouts -_- will probably hold off until after that. I'll set up a plan, but maaaay have to change if the tryouts go well.

Never have I ever hoped that things will get off schedule so much in my life.

If pistols get a little too easy for you, you can always add a little weight with DB's.  A little dab'll do ya.  I like to have one end of the DB resting on my shoulders, kinda like a hammer grip front rack.  If anything this actually makes the balance a smidge easier and improves your form, as you do have to engage your core, even with light weights, and you can't use your hands to "kip".

Myo-reps and other forms of rest-pause work are a great way to increase the effectiveness of BW pistols.  People usually shy away from rest pause squatting because it can be dangerous with heavy loads, but the unsafe factor is totally removed when doing pistols.  Worst thing that can happen is you fall down. Big deal.  Failing during a BW pistol (or low weight) is no biggie at all.

How is it that everyone else can do pistols for reps and I just fall over like a drunk walrus whenever I try...

Mobility and balance.  Both of which improve by....doing pistols.  For most there is a big gap between being able to do a pistol and reaching the point where you are loading your prime movers almost fully, getting every bit of potential quality out of the reps (eg - you really need to develop your balance strength to a high level before you can grind reps).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

For sure I stumbled a couple times when I really took them ATG. I'll go for sets of ten today and see how that feels.

Also Seth, keep in mind that during the season, mobility and balance is about 60% of everything we do, so even for not doing a whole whack of BW exercise in the off-season, my mobility and stability are still pretty damn high.

Back day yesterday!

DB rows: 100 X 6 (twice)

Lat Pulldowns: I think the machine at our secondary gym is broken. did 3 X 6 of the whole stack (255). 

Reverse flyes: 10 X 15lbs, 9 X 20

Then I got pulled into a basketball game. I was tooootally off my game, but got complemented on the fuel tank. Must have made at least 12-15 fast breaks.