MasterOfCows becomes MasterOfFitness

So here is where I'm going to be recapping my workouts and progress. Partially for accountability, and mostly to keep myself consistent - rather than going to the gym hard for a couple months and then not going for 6.

A bit of background:

I'm 5'9" - most recent weight 173.0 lbs

I would like to get strong, replace flab with muscle (yay for looking great!) and improve athletic performance.

Diet is fairly clean (not paleo), no processed sugars and only whole grains, lots of meat (lean beef!) and veggies. I have a weakness for pizza (homemade!), beer, cheese, and nachos, which I have been limiting. I've cut out grains before, and I'm not gluten sensitive, so I don't feel the need to get rid of them entirely.

Currently my schedule allows gym time twice a week, and I play competitive rec basketball 1X week. If I don't have basketball that week, I replace it with a gym session. I have some knee problems (partially torn ACL, slight meniscus tears, tendency to sprain/tear MCLs), so a lot of the stuff I do is based around preventing further injury. Part of these knee problems likely stem from excess weight, but I'm not concerned with what the scale says, more how my body looks and feels. But these injuries have also led to my previous on again off again affair with the gym, as it prevents me from playing basketball and I get super depressed when I'm injured and don't want to do anything.

The gym I have access to only has dumbbells, which does impact my routine.

I will be posting last week's workout recap and body measurements later today, when I have my notebook with me.

If anyone has comments or advice on my routine when I post it, they are most appreciated!

• Like 1

So here we go.... there actually was no basketball game this week, but I didn't want to overdo my first week back. I was definitely feeling it after these workouts!

If anyone has input, please feel free (if you even read the whole thing!) - especially on effective abductor exercises.

Week of Nov. 12:

Workout A

Bench Press - 3X5 @ 60 lbs (30 lb each arm)

-this was surprisingly easy. Because I can't add 5 lbs/workout, I'm going to work to 3X8 after I hit 3X5 and add 10 lbs after that for each lift

Front Squat - 1X3 @ 70 lbs (35 lb each side), 2X5 @ 60 lbs

-the 70 was a little too heavy to start, so I backed off. I think I'm going to switch these up with Goblet Squats every 4 times or so, just to keep my form on track. I need a wide stance to get in the hole, and my hips are tight (hence the mobility work!). Plus the wide stance works the adductors more, which I need to protect my knees. I want to make sure I don't have excessive back rounding when I get to heavier weights. The Goblets might be a little tricky as I'm not sure my upper body will be able to hold the weight my legs need without my shoulders caving forwards. If that makes sense.

Bent Over Row - 3X5 @ 35 lb each arm

-easy

Romanian Deadlift - 3X5 @ 80 lbs

-no barbell, so this seemed like a good option, plus my physio told me to work on hamstring strength (among other leg muscles) to protect my knees. 8 reps next time.

Glute Ham Raise - 1X5

-Done on lat pulldown machine. These are really just negatives, I'm not strong enough to do the full meal deal yet. The form on the last 2 was horrible, I kept breaking at the hips on the way back up. Drop down to 1X3 next time, work on perfect form

Bike - 5 min warmup, 5 min HITT, 30 seconds full speed, 1:30 slow

Stretching & mobility work

2X15 clamshell & side lying leg raise each side - these are for the abductors, given to me by my physio, but I'm not sure if there's a better exercise??

Workout B

Overhead Press - 3X5 @ 30 lbs (15 lb each arm)

-too easy, so I can move up the weight on this, but some jerk stole the other 20lb dumbbell, so there's only one. Going to alternate which arm lifts 20 lb and which lifts 15 lb, which means some tweaking on the set/rep schedule to make it even for both arms. Will try 4X4 first, and when I hit 4X6 move up to 2 25 lb weights

Assisted Pistols - 1X10 each leg

-I have real trouble holding the off leg out in front of me, it cramps up horribly no matter how much mobility work I do, so I kind of wrap it around the working leg. I also hold onto one of the unused machines for balance, but don't really use it to pull myself up. MOAR reps next time.

Lat Pulldown Machine - 3X5 @ 72 lbs

-felt pretty easy, work up to 8 reps before upping weight (the weight increases in 12lb increments on the machine)

Lunges - 3X5 @ 30 lbs (15 lb each side)

-going to offset these next time like the OHP.

Plank - 2X 30 sec

-surprisingly tough, but held on, so I'm going to try for longer next time!

Bike - 5 min warmup, 5 min HIIT 30 seconds full speed, 1:30 slow. Time to up the full speed time.

Stretching & mobility

2X15 clamshell & lying side leg raise per leg

Looking forward to the increased reps/heavier weights on these!

I'm going to take measurements/weight once a month

Starting stats:

Weight 173.0

Hips 41.5"

Waist (relaxed) 36" (gah!)

Waist (flexed) 34" (still gah!)

R/L Calf 14.5"/14.5"

R/L Thigh 22.25"/22.5"

R/L Bicep (relaxed) 12.75"/12.25" - I thought this was weird cause I'm left handed, but I double checked!

R/L Bicep (flexed) 13"/13"

Week of Nov. 19:

Workout A

Bench Press - 3X8 @ 60 lbs (30 lb each arm)

-adding weight next time

Front Squat - 3X5 @ 60 lbs

-3X8 next time

Bent Over Row - 2X8, 1X7 @ 35 lb each arm

-I'm pretty sure I'll nail this next time

Romanian Deadlift - 3X8 @ 80 lbs

-adding weight next time

Glute Ham Raise - 1X4

-4th rep form was a little shaky

Bike - 4 min warmup, 5 min HITT, 45 seconds full speed, 1:30 slow

2X15 clamshell & side lying leg raise each side

Workout B

Overhead Press - 4X4 @ 35 lbs (alternate 20 lb and 15 lb for each arm)

-do 4X6 before adding weight

Assisted Pistols - 2X6 each leg

-2X8 next time, work on balance

Lat Pulldown Machine - 3X8 @ 72 lbs

-adding weight next time

Lunges - 4X4 @ 35 lbs (alternate 20 lb and 15 lb for each side)

-do 4X6 before adding weight

Plank - 2X40 sec

-my whole body shakes when I do these! Add time!

Bike - 4 min warmup, 5 min HIIT 45 seconds full speed, 1:30 slow.

Stretching & mobility

I keep forgetting my notebook to update this. Soon. In meantime, weekend was an epic fail in terms of diet (not on a diet, but trying to keep things reasonable). Pizza, nachos, more pizza, all the beer. It was great, but awful in terms of goals. Note to self: if there is going to be a runaway day in terms of diet, make sure it is only a day, and not the whole weekend!!

Long overdue update time!

Nov. 27:

Workout A

Bench Press - 1X5, 1X2, 1X3 @ 70 lbs (35 lb each arm)

-This was supposed to be 3X5 @70 lbs. Just awful. I moved less than half the total weight of the workout before. I'm not sure what was going on, too tired, didn't eat enough maybe? I was also trying to save some gym time by supersetting with the squats. I'll just take it one set at a time next time.

Front Squat - 1X8 @ 60 lbs, 2X8 @ 60 lbs, with a 20 sec break between rep 6 and 7.

-Why were these so hard? My legs are pretty damn strong, even if I do say so myself. I'll stay at this weight and see what happens next time. Maybe this was just a shitty workout.

Bent Over Row - 3X8 @ 35 lb each arm

-Nailed it! PR, bitches.

Romanian Deadlift - 3X5 @ 90 lbs

-I just barely got the last one, stay the same for next time.

Glute Ham Raise - 1X5

-still working on form, these are killing my calves, more than my hamstrings, which I'm not sure is exactly right. Probably has something to do with the setup on the lat pulldown machine. Will investigate.

Bike - 4 min warmup, 5 min HITT, 30 seconds full speed, 1:00 slower

2X15 clamshell & side lying leg raise each side

Nov. 30:

Workout B

Overhead Press - 4X6 @ 35 lbs (alternate 20 lb and 15 lb for each arm)

-Nailed.

Assisted Pistols - 2X8 each leg

-Waldo's advice on these was invaluable. Instead of doing them all with the off leg wrapped around, I was able to do some with the off leg out in front (albeit partially supported by the squatting leg). As I get stronger, these will get better. Hanging leg raises on non-workout days FTW!!

Lat Pulldown Machine - 3X5 @ 84 lbs

-Yep, that's a PR! (even if the last one was a little ugly)

Lunges - 4X6 @ 35 lbs (alternate 20 lb and 15 lb for each side)

-MOAR weight is doable.

Plank 1X50 sec, 1X47 sec

-didn't quite make both at 50 seconds, but so very close!

Bike - 4 min warmup, 5 min HIIT 30 seconds full speed, 1:00 slow.

Stretching & mobility

Kay, so work stuff got in the way, as it was AGM time. Only one workout this week, boo!

Dec. 7:

Workout A

Bench Press - 2X5, 1X3 @ 70 lbs (35 lb each arm)

-Much better! I guess last time was a freak thing

Front Squat - 2X8 @ 60 lbs, 1X8 @ 60 lbs, different hold (between legs)

-So I was having trouble keeping the dumbbells on my shoulders. I have to find something else to do with this or switch to goblets for a bit. But if I do goblets, I can't go as heavy as now. I think I'm going to try balancing them upright on the shoulder? I can't go outside my legs, because I squat fairly wide, holding them in between the legs feels too easy. Must experiment, I guess. Anyone who happens to read this have any advice?

Bent Over Row - 3X5 @ 40 lb each arm

-PR? Why yes, sir!

Romanian Deadlift - 3X5 @ 90 lbs

-Form much nicer on last reps this time. PR.

Glute Ham Raise - 1X5

-Investigation changed nothing. Still killing my calves. I tried to see if the pull down seat was low enough so I could push off the floor, but it's not, and not adjustable, so I push off a ball once I'm horizontal. Going down slow isn't much of a problem, getting back up without bending the hips is the hard part!!

2X15 clamshell & side lying leg raise each side (+5 lbs for all reps).

So I still have to post last week's workouts. I've been delaying this. Last week was also re-weigh and re-measure time. And it was disappointing, which is why I haven't posted. I'm going to keep on as is for another month, partially to see if there's actually a trend, and partially because my method of measuring last week was super ghetto and may have been misleading. If the trend does continue, I'm going to have to take a serious look at diet. I was hoping to avoid this because I find it just gets too consuming, and I either obsess, or give up entirely. I've been half-assededly tracking on MFP, just to get an idea.

Workout numbers and measurements coming soon!

Will post the delayed numbers this weekend.

Tendonitis in my wrist flared up, probably due to leading uncooperative heifers around last weekend. Also have been sick for the last three days. So no gym so far this week. Suck. As I'll be on holidays next week (except for Friday), I hereby VOW to do two workouts at home, between Saturday and when I'm back to work (and the workplace gym). I can do almost everything except the lat pulldowns at home (I'll do rows or inverted rows instead), and the heavy RDLs. Going to work on one legged RDL's for the home time workouts. I have a feeling due to time constraints (the Buddy's parents are coming on the Tuesday) it will be Saturday and Monday.

Dec. 11:

Workout B

Overhead Press - 3X5 @ 50 lbs (25 lb for each arm)

-so hard. 1X3, 1X4, 1X3

-did the first set of 8 all with the off leg out in front, then did 1X4 more with the off leg out in front and another 1X4 but with the off leg wrapped

Lat Pulldown Machine - 3X8 @ 84 lbs

-1X8, 1X6, 1X4

Lunges - 3X5 @ 50 lbs

-Done!.

Plank 1X52 sec, 1X50 sec

Bike - 4 min warmup, 5 min HIIT 30 seconds full speed, 1:00 slow.

Stretching & mobility

2X15 + 5 lbs clamshell & lying side leg raise per leg

Dec. 13

Workout A

Bench Press - 1X5, 1X2, 1X3 @ 70 lbs (35 lb each arm)

-This was supposed to be 3X5 @70 lbs. Just awful. I moved less than half the total weight of the workout before. I'm not sure what was going on, too tired, didn't eat enough maybe? I was also trying to save some gym time by supersetting with the squats. I'll just take it one set at a time next time.

Front Squat - 3X8 @ 60 lbs,

-2X8, 1X8 40 lb goblet squat. Just can't keep the weights at a comfortable position on my shoulders. Switching to goblets permanently for now.

Bent Over Row - 3X8 @ 40 lb each arm

-1X8, 1X7, 1X6

Romanian Deadlift - 3X8 @ 90 lbs

-Yep! PR Will have to work on grip to move up to the 100's. After that, single leg RDLs.

Glute Ham Raise - 1X10

-Really happy with the form on this, no breaking at the hips on the way back up. The 10th one was ugly, so that's where I stopped.

-I didn't exactly do as planned. Super sore legs, so only managed one interval. Rest of time was LISS at about 80 rpm and level 10.

2X15 + 5 lbs clamshell & side lying leg raise each side

Dec. 13 Measurements:

Weight 177.4 (boo!)

Hips 42" (boo)

Waist (relaxed) 38.5" (what???)

Waist (flexed) 33.75"

R/L Calf 14.5"/14.5"

R/L Thigh 23.25"/23.25"

R/L Bicep (relaxed) 12"/12.25"

R/L Bicep (flexed) 13"/12.75"

I'm a little worried about these, but part of it could be the ghetto way I was measuring. See what they look like in Jan. If everything keeps going up, then time to reassess. Clothes are still mostly fitting the same, except for one pair of jeans that was already really tight.

Dec. 11:

Workout B - at home

Overhead Press - 3X5 @ 50 lbs (25 lb for each arm)

-so hard. 1X5, 1X4, 1X3

-not sure if I got low enough on a couple

Dumbell Rows- 3X8 @ 40 lbs per arm

-switched with pulldown machine to other workout - was having trouble with the grip on RDLs and rows having them on the same day. 3X8.

Lunges - 3X8 @ 50 lbs

-Done!.

Plank 1X55 sec, 1X55 sec

No bike or clamshells/side leg raises

Stretching and mobility

And that whole thing about working out at home twice before The Buddy's parents arrived? Yep. Didn't happen, just the once. I suck. But that's okay. Hoping for one workout at home this weekend after they leave, and then it's back to the regular at the gym at work. More PR's are coming my way, I can feel it. Only a few weeks until basketball starts again, yay!!

This will likely be the last set of updates for this log until after the challenge.

Dec. 31

Bench Press - 3X5 @ 70 lbs (35 lb each arm)
-Awesome sauce!  PR
Goblet Squat - 3X8 @ 40 lbs
-Like the switch to goblets, but dislike that the weight is down
Lat Pulldown - 3X8 @ 84 lbs (goal)
-2X6, 1X5.  This sucked hard.  I switched to lats on this day because my hands were too tired with RDL and bent over row on the same day. 
Romanian Deadlift - 3X5 @ 100 lbs
-PR  Super happy about this.  Really felt it in the hammies the next couple days as well.
Glute Ham Raise - 1X7, 1X5
-One day I'll be able to do these without pushing off at the bottom.  One day.

Stretches & Mobility

Bike - 4 min warmup, 30 sec sprint, 1:30 slower @ lvl 11

Clamshells and side leg raises 2X10 + 10 lbs each leg, each exercise

Jan. 3:
Overhead Press - 3X5 @ 50 lbs (25 lb for each arm) (goal)
-1X5, 2X4.  I keep knocking out another rep or two each time, so I guess that's good.
-getting better at holding the off leg out in front.  Still need to work on doing them without using my hands for balance.
Dumbell Rows- 3X5 @ 45 lbs per arm (goal)
-2X5, 1X4.  Almost there!
Lunges - 3X5 @ 60 lbs
-PR
Plank 1X1 min, 1X1 min

-sweet!

Stretches & Mobility

Bike - no bike, there were lots of people doing cardio and by the time a bike freed up.... well let's just say that there was a certain odor from a certain fellow in the very small room that was making me feel pukey.

Clamshells and side leg raises 2X10 + 10 lbs each leg, each exercise

LOG RISES FROM ASHES!

Since I'm not doing a challenge, I thought I'd revive this thing.

Not much to report yet.

It was my birthday yesterday.  So between birthday and hallowe'en festivities (henceforth known as BIRTHOWE'EN), I did not track any foods or anything, which was okay, because I also have no weights or measurements for that time period either.

Last challenge we calculated my TDEE to be 2019.  While I was on my break from life, I pretty much maintained weight.  I would like to lose some, especially with the threat of knee surgery(ies) looming.  I'm planning on eating 1500-1800 cals/day, averaged over the week.  Nothing extreme for this girl, because I just won't bother if I don't feel like it :).

Getting back to the gym after a period of insane travel for work will be nice.  I'm looking forward to it.  Heavy (for me) lifting mostly, maybe some spartacus style stuff every once in awhile to switch it up.

Other than that, play the waiting game after I get my MRIs next week.

I'll update the weights/measurements when I take them on Sunday, ha, I've been saying that for 2 weeks now, but I mean it this time, I swear!

yay! i started reading through the beginning of this before realizing it was from 2012. womp womp. but! i realized we are super similar regarding diet and workouts and build. following for ideas! I'm going to be using a gym over the next few months that doesn't have barbells either - you still doing that?

Spartacus is fun! but gets old fast so I'd limit it to once/week. and it's intense... i totally only did 2 of the prescribed 3 rounds each time I did it.

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Yeah, don't read from the beginning :P

Funny though, between the breaks and probably dropping weight *too* much after coming back to the gym, my bench is pretty much exactly the same, and here I thought I was doing awesome on it :P  I'm down over 10 lbs though!

Totally still on the DB train.  Figure there's lots more that can be done, even legs wise.  Even if it doesn't exactly mesh up with the warrior mode of high wts, low reps, it'll still get me stronger!

Which Spartacus did you do?  I tried this one http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/spartacus-workout-the-triple-set-scorcher.html and could only make it through 1 round.  I had to use a couple of modifications though - like I am physically incapable of side lunges, so I just did more regular ones.  And I thought I might die for a few days afterwards.  I used super light DB's too, but our selection at home is kind of lacking.  The 20's disappeared somewhere, so it's 10's or 25's - and I swear they are heavier than the ones at the gym.

I don't really do diets, I just know that I'm kind of fat, mostly in the belly, and would like to be less fat.  And I am lazy about it, which is why it's taken me practically a year to lose ~15 lbs. But I didn't put this weight on over night, and I'll maintain better if I don't lose it all right away as well.  Plus then I don't have to buy replacement clothes as much.

I fucking hate shopping.

You're weight's down 10lbs?? that is awesome! i am also super lazy about my weight loss which is why i'm going to focus on what im putting in my body this next challenge instead of making goals around lifting heavy.

i did this one! http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/spartacus-workout-1 i had to modify this one as well - like doing incline t-pushups without a weight...and i know i was not doing those pushup position rows right. how are you supposed to hold yourself up without completely leaning towards the hand thats holding you??

physically incapable of doing a side lunge? hmmm i dont even know how to help you there. where does it seem like your body "sticks"?

that is awful about one of the 20s missing. we have one of our 30s missing which hasn't effected me too much yet. why do people steal one DB? ohhh because they're DBs.

oooooo i love shopping.  :witless:

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I've done that one before with modifications too!  With the rows, it is slightly easier (and less lean) if you spread your legs out a bit - not super wide, but a bit.  Helps with the distribution of weight. I found the t-pushups really challenging as well.

I have a number of issues with side lunges.  Super tight hips makes the wide side step painful, though this is improving with mobility work.  Unstable knees makes the whole exercise quite wobbly, and poor ankle flexibility causes a huge forward lean - I know some forward is okay, but I'm past that :). I can do a 1/4 or 1/2 side lunge fairly well, but trying to hit a full ROM is quite uncomfortable and gives me a feeling like I'm about to be injured.  I can do the variant where you point your foot to the side you're lunging towards and do a twist, but not the forward facing foot version.

At the gym, the missing 20 appeared again, from where, who knows?  

But I don't know where ours were that we had at home.  Maybe sister has them.

So I was complaining to my friend about the poor improvement in bench and he suggested I try something a little different, and see if that helps jump the weight.  So I am.  I'm going to cycle every 3 workouts starting with 3X12, then 3X8, and finally 3X5 at the weight I want to get to.

Nov. 6/13:

DB Bench @ 60 lbs

3X12.  This was the right weight to start at, the last couple reps on the last two sets were definitely tough.

DB Lunges 

3X5 @ 60 lbs

2X8 @ 40 lbs

each leg

DB Bent Over Rows (single hand, knee and opposite hand on bench) @ 50 lbs

2X5, 1X4

DB RDL @ 70 lbs

3X8

Monster walks w/band - 3x9 steps each way

Single leg glute bridge + 30 lbs - 1X10 each leg

Plank rotation, 10 seconds each of front plank, front plank w/one leg raised, side plank, reverse plank - total time 60 sec.

I also have a lot of front lean during these (also have bad ankle mob) but i figured it was okay b/c well:

spart8.jpg

in any case - it sounds like you have a bunch of other stuff going on and this move is most definitely not worth it to worry over!

Thanks for the tip on the push up rows!

awesome workout. those are some heavy db lunges. i love the way my hamstrings feel a day or two after RDLs - nice job! how do you like the band monster walks? you have your own band i assume?

Instagram | pinterest

Yeah… if only my front lean looked like that!  Mine is more awful and hunchy and awkward.

Those lunges aren't 60 and 40 per hand, just to be clear - they were 30 and 20 per hand (for the total of 60 and 40), cause I figure that's what my legs are moving.  I feel like I should be doing way more though, because there was a time….  but I'm paranoid about messing up my knees more than they already are.

Yeah, I got my band for free actually from physio.  They are pure torture, but actually kind of fun.  I started having to take breaks every couple steps, but now I'm doing them with maybe a 10 second break between sets.  They still kick my ass though.

I kind of feel like we might be the same person.  

Haha! I figure you've been combining your db weight! And 30# in each hand sounds like a lot... I haven't done a regular weighted lunge in awhile though.

I'd have to agree with that statement.

Instagram | pinterest

Missed a second gym session last week, but did the triple threat spartacus workout on Sunday.  1 round before legs felt like jello.  

Avg'd 1977 cals last week.  I forgot to track on Monday, long weekend!!!, so this week's stuff is going to be a little off.

Weight was 160.4 on Sunday morning.

Should get into the actual gym twice this week.

Nov. 13/13:

Seated DB OHP (working the same program as bench and lat):

3X12 @ 60 lbs - this might have been a touch light, but given that the next available weight jump is 10 lbs up, probably ok to start.

DB BSS:

1X5 @ 50 lbs

2X8 @ 30 lbs

These did not feel great, especially on the left leg, which I feel is my stronger leg.  These will stay the same.

Pushup Assisted GHR:

1X7, 1X5 with one hand behind back

1X10 both hands, fingertips only

Lat pulldown:

3X12 @ 60 lbs

Monster walk w/band - 3X10 steps each way - these didn't feel great either.

Ab rollout w/stability ball - 1X10, 1X5

Single Leg Calf Raise - 1X10 @ 40 lbs, 1X10 @ 35 lbs.  40 lbs was a bit too heavy for how much I lack anything resembling balance.

Knees were super achy afterwards, but that went away.

Really feeling the hamstrings, even today, so I'm going to lay off them until next week.

Spurred by a conversation with Crooked about one of the parental units (dad, I think?) feeling guilty about not eating grass-fed beef.

So here's the skinny.  Eat what you like.  It's amazing that we have so many options.

I'm going to touch on some of the common things that people are usually confused about.  I can provide scientific references if you like as well.

1) Labels are confusing.  A grass-fed label may not always mean what you think it means.  All cattle are grass-fed for the majority of their life.  Some then go into a lot for finishing (fattening) using grain, others are finished on grass/other forages.  What people think they are getting is grass-fed and grass-finished (which includes things other than grass as well!!).  Some will be grass-fed and then grain finished, but can still use the label grass-fed, because they were for part of their life.

2) Hormones.  Yes, cattle are often given hormone implants during the finishing period.  Slow release capsules inserted in the ear.  But it's not going to throw off your hormone balance, or make young boys grow boobs.  8 oz steak from implanted steer has 2 ng more estrogen (the most bio-reactive one) than 8 oz steak from unimplanted steer (~5 vs 3 ng).  Glass of beer has 15 ng.  Many plants contain the same types of estrogen as well (cabbage is a good example).  I have about 5,000,000 ng in my body right now + 35,000 more because I'm on the pill.  Prepubertal boys who are considered to be the most sensitive to hormone imbalances/additions when it comes to estrogens would have to eat something like 300 servings of beef per day to add 1% to their daily estrogen production.  No meat is hormone free, because of the naturally occurring hormones in the body.  That's why advertising and labelling (if you look closely) has to read "no added hormones."

3) Antibiotics.  Cattle aren't "pumped full" antibiotics because they are kept in unsanitary conditions or to spur growth.  They are used with veterinary consultation and oversight, for prevention and treatment.  Just like in people.  However, cows generally need more of a drug because the dosages are weight dependent and cows weigh more than people.  The growth benefits arise because the cattle are healthier, not due to the antibiotic itself.  There are withdrawal times, which means that the animal can't be slaughtered for a specific number of days after treatment, and residue testing is carried out regularly to make sure that there are no antibiotic residues in the beef.  If there are, the meat is removed from the human food chain.

4) Omega 3/CLA/etc.  Grass-fed/finished beef does have a better ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids.  It also has a higher proportion of CLA.  BUT the levels in beef are so low, that you would have to eat an extreme amount to come close to the amount offered by a serving of fish.  Research has tried and tried to increase the levels of omega 3 and CLA in beef, but can't come close to the level you need to be able to put a health claim on the label.  Plus grass-fed/finished beef is naturally leaner, so there's less fat to begin with, and because there are more omega 3/CLA, there is less monounsaturated fat, which is also good for you.

5) Environment.  Grass-fed/finished fits in with the consumer's vision of "more natural" and "how beef should be raised."  But it actually takes longer, uses more land and water resources, and those cattle produce more methane than those fed with grains in a more intensive manner.  

Bottom line, if you want to and can afford grass-fed/finished, by all means go for it - there are lots of farmers out there more than willing to fill that niche of production and provide you with that product.  

But you shouldn't feel guilty if you don't want to/can't afford it/don't see the point.  Grocery store beef isn't going to kill you, and won't make any appreciable difference to your health.

No one should make you feel guilty about your own food choices, because it's none of their business, and mostly based on emotion/rhetoric instead of scientific facts, because that stuff is easy to sell to consumers who (the vast majority) are at least 3 generations removed from farming/food production.

• Like 2