MasterOfCows becomes MasterOfFitness

Sure glad I'm not alone.

By the time I finally gave up playing ball, I was wearing 2 heavy duty (but not custom) braces.

Anyways.  Monday I did some stuff.

I still have DOMS.  Ridiculous.  That's what happens when you don't do hardly anything for almost a month.  This is from memory.

DB Bench @ 35/arm:

1X8, 1X7, 1X6

DB Lunges 

1X6 each leg @ 60 lbs

2X6 each leg @50 lbs

Was not feeling the lunges.

DB Bent Over Row (3 pt style):

1X6, 1X5, 1X4 each arm @ 50 lbs

DB RDL @ 70 lbs

3X8

Comparing to last time, I haven't lost that much ground.  Only missed out on 2 reps of bench to tie where I was at previously.  Lunges were poor, but that could have been any number of things.

I was going to do some assistance stuff, but said screw it and biked for a bit.  3.8 km in 7:26.  5 mins of that was 30 second intervals.

Tomorrow I'm doing P90x back and leg day with my sister and her boyfriend.

Looks like a couple of things I might have to fake my way through - side lunges and I do not agree, but should be fun.

I'm thinking about adding a simple (light weight/higher rep) workout to do at home a couple of days, or on the weekends when I haven't been able to make it to the regular gym due to work.  I've tried a few different ones, but nothing's quite clicked yet - hence the test run of P90

P90X is not for me.

I can see the appeal and why it works, especially paired with the "nutrition" program, but there were too many exercises with just minor variations, not enough emphasis on hamstrings (for me) and a few movements that hurt my poor knees in the bad way (obviously I didn't keep doing them).

I probably won't do another leg day this week, as we'll be walking tons while in NYC Friday through Sunday and I am so very very sore.  Diet may be a little harder to manage while there, but that's okay too!  Fun times!

Avg'd 1704.7 cals over the week.

Weighed 166.something this morning.  Which is up from the last time I weighed at home before Christmas.

Need to get down to 160 at least - although I would like more like 145-150, I'll take 160 if I can lose some inches.  Either way.

so excited for you and your NYC trip! take and share lots of pictures!

i'm still trying to get back down to my "before holidays" weight as well :) just keeping on the normal routine.

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Okay, so these things happened:

-I got sick.

-In efforts to not be more sick before NY, I did not gym.

-Went to NY.  It was awesome.  I'll put a couple pictures up when we have them all - it's a long story, TheBuddy'sâ„¢ phone is (in theory) on it's way back from Illinois, and it has the best pictures.

-Came back, immediately left for conference in Saskatoon.

-Came back, TheBuddy'sâ„¢ parents arrived - they left today.

-I am exhausted.  Sleeping has been difficult.

-I feel fat.

To Do:

Back to normal routine (gym wise) starts tomorrow.

Back to normal routine (food wise) starts today.

Order meat.  Defrost freezer.

Pester knee doctor's office.

Get less fat.

PROFIT.

oh no!! ugh, that's awful you got sick. but i'm glad to hear NY was awesome!! squeeeeeeeeeee i want more details!!

also, i approve of your to do list. 

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Waiting for Godot was the best production of any stage play I have ever seen, including most movies of stages plays.  Not that I'm an expert, but it was better than than Stewart and Tennant in Hamlet in the TV production that I downloaded from the BBC.

Part of it was the live factor, I'm sure.  We were in balcony seats, but they were amazing.  Didn't even feel like you were up in the cheap seats :)

Part of it was the play.  Now, it's a play where nothing really happens, so it really all hinges on the actor's chemistries.  Mind blowing.  Plus the first act (even though it's an absurdist play) really just uses the humour to hide the sadness of our meaningless existences.  Which is super dark.  Love.

Ian McKellen was a super stand up guy.  He stayed after the show signing playbills and taking pictures until there were no more pictures to take or bills to sign.  Amazing.

I freaked out a little when we first got there - we went immediately to Grand Central.  TOO MANY PEOPLE.  We took the subway.  Didn't get mugged.  Went to the Cloisters (a division of the Met), which was super cool.  Walked.  Hung out in Central Park, climbed some big rocks.  Walked some more.  Partied with some random dudes we met outside a bar.  Walked some more.  Went to the HBO store.  Bought presents (and a Game of Thrones board game for us, which we haven't had time to learn how to play yet).  Walked some more.  Went to some cool (mostly Irish) pubs.  Went to a super sketchy Irish pub somewhere up north by the Cloisters which was awesome, we were the only ones there at 2 p.m.  Walked some more.  Marvelled at the weird garbage piles everywhere, and never quite got used to the constant honking.  ALWAYS HONKING - if it got quiet, you wondered if something was wrong. Our airport shuttle never arrived and we were taken to the airport on time by "private" shuttle service, who was piloted by a very nice, but completely insane man, with no regard for road rules or other cars.

Our hotel room was super cheap, just a block or two off Times Square.  It was clean, which is pretty much the only requirement I had.

It also had 16 channels on the TV, 2 of which didn't work, and 4 of which were the exact same, and one was Spanish.

It did take quite awhile for the water to heat up to something resembling hot at peak showering times.

And we had to run the air conditioner full blast and open all the windows to get it cool enough to sleep.  

But I would totally stay there again based on location and price alone.

Also, people (even the cops!!) just walk across the street whenever they feel like it.  If you did that here (walk when the red hand is flashing), you would almost certainly be hit by a car.

We bought booze in a drug store.  That is probably one of the things I love most about the States.  

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.  It was a whirlwind of a trip.  I'm super glad we did it though.

• Like 1

That sounds amazing. I remembering reading and studying Godot when I was in school (I studied theatre for a stint). So I can just imagine these two actors being completely perfect in it together - I'm glad they didn't let you down! Oh, it's so good to hear about Ian being a stand up guy. It's always hard when your heroes turn out to be not-so-cool. Elton John did something similar when I saw him this past fall and it's just mind-blowing that these super talented people who have been in the business such a long time still know who keeps them in business ;)

The few times I've been to NYC I came away with the same thought - TOO MANY PEOPLE! so many. everywhere. it's overwhelming and doesn't seem like something I could handle for longer than a few days.

haha! Mass. is a bit more strict about where you can buy booze but there are a few grocery stores who have a liquor license.

thanks for indulging me your trip details! when you said you were going I almost bought tickets for those cheap balcony seats lol - next time!

Instagram | pinterest

TheBuddy'sâ„¢ phone still hasn't arrived in the mail from Illinois.  Starting to get a bit worried.

So - remember when I said I was feeling fat?  It wasn't just a feeling.

Did weights and measurements on Sunday.

165.0.  This I could live with, if the following was not also true.

Waist was up at least an inch (maybe a hair more).  Thigh's were up a tiny bit as well.  Everything else was pretty much the same.

Hi fat.

Last week was first full week of tracking since before NY.

Avg: 1749.6 cals

Now to see how this week's data shakes out - I'm going to try and keep a running total of my calculated TDEE and average it monthly.

Meat order gets picked up today.  I'm a little scared of how much it might cost, but I got them to slice 10 lbs of roast so I can make jerky more easily!  Yay!!

Phoned surgeon's office last week, left a message.  Will try again if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow.

I've worked out 3 times at the gym since I last posted, and on track for 2 more this week.  Will post #'s tomorrow when I have my book.

Bench is still irritating me.  I haven't really progressed at all.  Now I had just started that new upper body program designed by my weightlifting friend before sickness and NY, so I'll stick with it awhile longer - it seems to be working on lat pulldowns and OHP, and I'm going to start it with one arm rows if I don't see some noticeable improvement next time. Maybe I'm just not cut out for benching :P

I'm nearing (and in some cases surpassing) pre-injury weights on legs.  I'm close to previous PR's on OHP (though now I'm doing seated, as per Dr. orders) and lat pulldowns - at least for # reps at a certain weight.

aw man - i'm worried about thebuddy's phone too. (at first I put "his" phone and then realize that i'm not sure if you've ever used a pro-noun and that it's none of my business and pronouns are annoying anyway)

i'm sorry you're bummed about your measurements and weight. but you have to know that if I used "fat" negatively it would NOT be for someone who weighs 165. Now, I don't know your height or history or whatever but I DO know that you're bad ass. and phat. I just wanted to work that in there.

you know what to do to make yourself feel better about your body and your doing it. 1750 calorie average while working out 3x/week?? that's amazing. 

and this

You-want-some-of-this-cow.gif

Instagram | pinterest

OMG.  THAT GIF.

It's okay - he's a he :)

We've been together for 8 years as of yesterday, known each other for 14.  How crazy is that?  It both seems like such a long time and like hardly any time all at once.

I guess I should have clarified in saying "fat" as it applies to me.  I am decently tall (~5'9"), so even at my heaviest weight at about 185, people didn't really seem to notice when I was wearing the right clothes.  I started university at a soaking wet 120 - too skinny by all accounts, and the switch from active farm life to sedentary school life slowly but surely packed on the lbs.  I didn't really even pay much attention, until I saw some bathing suit pictures from our first trip to Hawaii right after I finished my Master's.  My body fat level is definitely too high - though all I have are rough estimates, I am dismayed by them.

But enough about that.  It's a process full of ups and downs, and I'll get there eventually.  I've already stated that I'm not willing to give up everything fun in pursuit of dropping weight/fat.  It took 7 years to put on, I can reach middle ground and stay there in a couple or 3, that's likely going to last longer than dropping a massive amount in a short period of time.  I just don't like going backwards :)

/reflection.

On to workouts!  I'm going to be a little more specific with some things going forward.

Jan. 28

Seated DB OHP

3X8 @ 20 lbs/arm

DB BSS

1x6 @ 60 lbs total (each leg)

2X8 @ 50 lbs total (each leg)

Lat Pulldown

3X8 @ 72 lbs

Hamstring curls w/band

1X30 each leg (broken set)

Glute thrust + 35 lbs

1X11 per leg

Clamshells w/band

1X20 per leg (unbroken set)

Wall sit

1X 30 sec

1X 25 sec

Jan. 31

DB Bench

2X8, 1X6 @ 35 lbs/arm

DB Lunge

1X5 @ 60 lbs total (each leg)

2X8 @ 50 lbs total (each leg)

DB rows (single arm, 3 point style w/knee on bench)

3X5 @ 50 lbs

DB RDL

3X9 @ 70 lbs (total)

Single leg calf raise + 35 lbs

2X10.  Still wobbly.  My balance is just awful.

Band adductor thingy

1X30 each leg (broken sets)

Tricep Kickback

1X5 @ 25 lbs (each arm)

1X8 @ 20 lbs (each arm)

Hammer Curls

1X3 @ 20 lbs (each arm).

Feb. 3

Seated DB OHP

3X5 @ 25 lbs/arm

DB BSS

3x5 @ 60 lbs total (each leg)

Lat Pulldown

3X5 @ 84 lbs

Hamstring curls w/band

1X30 each leg (broken set)

Glute thrust + 35 lbs

1X12 per leg

Monster/crab walk w/band

30 reps each direction in 4 sets

Wall sit

1X 40 sec

1X 30 sec

Plank rotation:

30 seconds each of front (regular), and each side in succession with no breaks

I really hope you hear back from the surgeon soon. For someone with busted knees, you're still managing some awesome workouts!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I really hope you hear back from the surgeon soon. For someone with busted knees, you're still managing some awesome workouts!

agreed!!

Instagram | pinterest

Thanks friends!

Having decently strong legs is what kind of screwed me with all the knee business though, which is dumb.  Because strong legs = could still walk + knee not giving out + a good deal of resistance/guarding during the common "tests" that they give GP's to do made things seem not so serious.  Even right after a tweak and my knee (whichever one it would be at the time) would swell up to the size of a dodgeball, I never had the laxity associated with serious tendon issues.  Suck.

BUT *drumroll* pestering the surgeons office has paid off.  My consult is scheduled for March 11.  Sooner if they get a cancellation I can fit into my schedule.

Now please excuse me while I freak out a bit with all the "what ifs" rolling around in my head.

Also, this weekend is beef jerky makin' weekend.  YAY!

Feb. 5/13

DB Bench

2X8, 1X6 @ 35 lbs/arm

-no improvement.  I'm giving this one more shot next time I bench, and then will have to change something to break this.  I'm not really leaning towards a deload, maybe just a pile of sets with fewer reps at the same weight.  I dunno.

DB Lunge

3X5 @ 60 lbs total (each leg)

DB rows (single arm, 3 point style w/knee on bench)

3X4 @ 50 lbs

Actually went backwards here.  Deloading next time.

DB RDL

3X10 @ 70 lbs (total)

Single leg calf raise + 35 lbs

1X10.  Right knee wasn't feeling right (haha) so stopped after the 1st set.

Band adductor thingy

1X30 each leg (broken sets)

Tricep Kickback

2X7 @ 25 lbs (each arm)

Hammer Curls

1X7 @ 20 lbs (each arm).

YUS! march 11 is not so far off at all. and i'm super jealous of beef jerky weekend. SUPER jealous.

nice workout... seems like the end of noob gainz?

Instagram | pinterest

I'm so glad that being a pest paid off! March isn't so far away, and at least after the consult, you'll have a better idea of what is in store. I know the big leg muscles caused a lot of doctors to ignore you, but they will greatly help with recovery and re-stabilizing your knee. So, it's great that you're already really strong.

Assuming you end up needing surgery, I'll be sure to give you some advice and life hacks for when you're on crutches and spending a lot more time sitting than you're used to. I think with the right preparation, the month after surgery could be fairly productive and not so bad.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

YUS! march 11 is not so far off at all. and i'm super jealous of beef jerky weekend. SUPER jealous.

nice workout... seems like the end of noob gainz?

I'm not sure.  I think I've taken too many extended breaks for it to be the end.  I've never really improved much on bench though.  I pretty much started with 30's and at one point in the spring last year I was doing 40's for reps, but never made it to the 45's.  My upper body maybe needs more volume (or something!) to adapt.  Also, when I've been lifting I've been on a deficit, so that probably has at least a little do with it.

I'm so glad that being a pest paid off! March isn't so far away, and at least after the consult, you'll have a better idea of what is in store. I know the big leg muscles caused a lot of doctors to ignore you, but they will greatly help with recovery and re-stabilizing your knee. So, it's great that you're already really strong.

Assuming you end up needing surgery, I'll be sure to give you some advice and life hacks for when you're on crutches and spending a lot more time sitting than you're used to. I think with the right preparation, the month after surgery could be fairly productive and not so bad.

Oh, I'm going to be hitting you up for all sorts of tips!  Thanks so much for the offer :)

I'm sure I wouldn't mind a bit of time doing nothing, but I'm sure that will get old fairly quickly!

Friday's workout was good.

Numbers to follow when notebook is near comp.

I averaged at 1748.4 cals over the week.  Saturday was a bit of a runaway, but rest of the week made up for it.  

So we're a couple weeks into strict tracking again.  Am I seeing results yet?  No idea.  

I'm only measuring once a month, so have to wait until then for measurements.

However, trying to get a handle on my TDEE while I'm tracking - why not?

TDEE calculations go Sat to Sat, because I weight first thing Sunday morning.

Weight was up 2.2 lbs, from 165 to 167.2

If you run the numbers, like so:

12239 - (2.2*3500)/7 = 648.43 cals/day

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA *gasp*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!

That's why we look at long term trends, people.

Stupid scale.

We were trying to plan out some summer camping/vacationing ideas.  I couldn't get behind that because for all I know, I'll be crippled from surgery in the summer.  Felt bad because I couldn't (or wouldn't) engage, when TheBuddyâ„¢ was excited about it.

March can't fucking get here soon enough.

whaaaaaat?! That's crazy. is that saying that your maintenance is 650cals?!

ugh. i hate when i'm a cranky-pants and the SO is super excited about something. and then I get more cranky. thank god they love us.

Instagram | pinterest

It IS nice that they love us, isn't it?

And yeah, maintenance at 650 cals.  Or else my tracking was 7700 calories off.  I expect that I'm not 100% accurate, but that would be ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure the weight gain was shark week related though, as I noticed I'm using a new hole on my belt today.

Feb. 7/14

Seated DB OHP:

1X11, 1X9, 1X7 all at 20 lbs/arm

DB BSS:

1X5 each leg @ 70 lbs total -- PR!

2X6 each leg @ 60 lbs total

This whole thing was actually a PR - I've never done that much weight for that many reps before.

Lat Pulldown:

1X11, 1X10, 1X9 @ 72 lbs

Hamstring curls w/band

1X30 each leg, broken sets

Single Leg Glute Bridges + 35 lbs

1X13 per leg

Clamshells w/band

1X30, broken sets

Wall sits:

35 sec, 30 sec

Not surprised that time didn't increase given the increase in the earlier leg work.

Plank Rotation

35 sec each front and each side, no rest

Feb. 11

DB Bench

3X8 @ 35 lbs/arm

I finally hit that last rep, but it was awfully shaky.  Want to repeat before weight goes up

DB Lunge

1X4 each leg @ 70 lbs --PR!!

2X6 each leg @ 60 lbs

Single Arm Bent Over DB Rows (3 point style)

-1X10, 1X9, 1X8 each arm @ 40 lbs

DB RDL

-3X5 @ 80 lbs

Had to skip the assistance work due to time constraints.

Feb. 16:

I did this

At home.  Not entirely as prescribed, instead of timing the 40 seconds or whatever, I used reps, but number of times completed and rest times stayed as written.  Used 2 10 lb dumbbells throughout.

I can up the weights for some of these, but was lazy and didn't want to dig out the heavier dumbbells, so the next time I do this (likely tonight) I'll do that.

I'm going travelling for work this week.  I will bring some stuff in case the hotel has a gym, but the odds of both that gym existing and me ditching networking opportunities to go to it, are slim.  Counting will be tricky as well (conference food), but I'll do my best.

Last week averaged 1834 cals/week.  A little higher than I'd like, but not the end of the world - still below theoretical maintenance numbers.

Weight down to 166.2

Trying really hard not to be mad at TheSisterâ„¢.  She hurt her knee just over a month ago.  Went to the same knee clinic and process as I have been dealing with for forever.  She's been diagnosed with an ACL tear (no MRI), and her consult with the surgeon (same surgeon as me) is a week earlier than mine!  I know it's not her fault, but it is super irritating and depressing.  

Hitting the gym while on the road is always tough for me, although if I ever find a hotel gym with a barbell, I will definitely hit it up.  

That does stink that your trademarked relative got an appointment quicker than you.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Your sister's timeframe seems pretty reasonable to me. Yours has just been absurdly delayed. I'm still upset for you that your doctors took so long to diagnose you.

If both of you have surgery near the same time, at least you could hit the gym together for rehab. And you'd have someone to whine with when you're having a tough time.

My tutorials:

Yeah, we're going to try and get it done around the same time.  She bought a stationary bike that I can use on the weekends and stuff when I don't use the one at work.  And we might split a cryocuff if the timing works out.

Last week was a bit of a gong show - the hotel weight room was under renos, and they only had cardio machines, not even a bowflex knockoff!

I did not do cardio.  But I did have to walk about 10 mins to the conference hotel…

I also failed at tracking.  It's too time consuming to guess what's in conference food.  I just worked on not eating like an asshole, and mostly succeeded, I think.  But then we went out to a pub on Saturday night, and I must have eaten something that did not agree with me, because I was so sick Sunday.  Stomach is still a little queasy today, but so much better.  I'll just push back the monthly measurement fest by a week so I have a month's worth of solid data.  No biggie.

Tomorrow will be the only real gym day, but hopefully I can pull off a BW one on the weekend depending on what is going on farm wise.  We've got some sale bulls to get pretty, and it has been too cold to work with them much so far.