Gem's Challenge

Malva

Yeah, I was going to suggest a shoe check as well. Was it the impact that was bothering you? Or did it feel like it took more effort? We've been assuming the first, but it occurred to me that the second is a possibility, too. We did our run yesterday on packed snow, but I'm used to pavement/cement (my marathon-running friend tells me that cement/concrete sidewalks are about the worst thing to run on for impact- blacktop is preferable). I know I went slower on the snow that I do on dry sidewalk, because the ground was more uneven and more slippery. Is it possible you were exerting yourself more without thinking about it because you were running on even, paved ground rather than on the trail?

ETA: @Faline, there are a lot of shorter races that take place on trails, at least around here. The nicer parks usually sponsor at least one during the year -- contact your local running clubs (which may take a little creative googling to find) to find out where they are and when! :)

Is it possible you were exerting yourself more without thinking about it because you were running on even, paved ground rather than on the trail?

Yes now that I think back I think this might have been the case.

There is a lot of give on my trail - very deep leaf mould is a cushy running surface. I noticed as soon as I started running on the trail how much more comfy is was, but I do have to go slow and really pay attention to where I step, as it is uneven. The road I was on is a county road - not cement, that's for sure, but like blacktop with little pebbles all over the surface. I tried getting off into the grassy shoulder a bit.

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3

OMG I have been so out of it!!! The stomach virus wasn't that bad - but it lingered in overall weakness. Plus I finally got my washer fixed (again!) and had a weeks worth of regular laundry to catch up on - and the "stomach flu laundry." Top bunk + puking 10yo = nothing good, take my word for it.

But I have been a little bit awesome, nonetheless. I have finished my blog post #1http://sunshinefordinner.com/?p=247. I have finished and filed both my state and federal taxes (YAY!!!!!). I forced the kids to do their lessons for 5 straight days this week, snow or no snow (poor kids - we usually do 4 days/week). And I did a repeat of the first run of week 4 today! Who am I kidding, I am TOTALLY awesome.

The latest Nerd Fitness blog post addresses that inertia that comes with missing a few days of the exercise routine. I was feeling it, but I resisted. I didn't have confidence that I could do the run - 3 min run, 1 1/2 walk, 5 min run, 1 1/2 min walk, repeat - and I thought of doing week 3 again. But I went for it and it was fine. More than fine, it was great! I sprinted the last 10 sec toward home after the second 5 min run.

Mon 2-14-11

squats: second try on this set, still have not been able to get through it, 19, 22, 16, 16, (then should have done 23 to finish the set - yeah right...)

modified push up: 19, 22, 16, 16

try this set again next time - sooner or later I will get it

I guess this must be cardio too, for me anyway, because I get warm and breathe hard while I am doing it and after...whew!

I was really intimidated by the week four schedule, but it was fine. I find over and over that I can trust the c25k program more than I can trust my own judgement - I will be sure that it can't be done, and yet I can do it.

Now as far as week 5 being a breeze - there is the infamous run 3 of the fifth week - the 20 minute run. Whatever. We will see.

Long walk today while moving brush in preparation for lengthening/widening my wooded running trail. Yesterday I started working on the second blog post that I wanted to do for this challenge period - only to discover that some update I did had totally messed up all my graphics and sidebars, so worked on that instead. Got it looking pretty good, learned a few things, and set up my broken RSS feed to feedburner - so that turned out ok in the end. Been eating way too much popcorn for the last few days LOL - just can't stop!!!.

Sun 2-20-11

Got my exercise today helping hubby pruning and dragging brush. Whew! Warm day, too. Went to my little grocery store this morning and was so happy to find an expanded section of fresh veggies - cauliflower!!! And some new kinds of frozen veggies, including my fave, brussels sprouts.

I got the Lose It! book in the mail yesterday - from the makers of my fave app Lose It!. I have read a bit of it - will prob do a review if time allows.

Monday - totally flaked out on everything LOL - I took President's Day off ...

Tuesday, 2-22-11

wk 5 run 2 - two 8 minute runs, 5 min walk in between - no problem! I can't believe how easy it was. Still feeling nervous about the 20 min run next time, though.

push - up 15 - 10 - 10

After reading the NF post about proper push ups a few days ago I decided to get my form in better shape - even though I am just doing a modified, elevated push up. I had been doing them with my feet flat on the floor, instead of being up on my toes, so I am working on correcting that.

Also worked out in the yard for a couple of hours - raking mostly which really wears me out! Wish I had something delicious to eat since I burned all these calories today... probably have room for a sangria :)

The 20 minute run is history! I did it with no problem - I could have kept on going! So that is week 5 finished, on to week 6. Going in to the birthdaypalooza weekend - going to a kids party tomorrow night (pizza and bowling) - then kids spending the night that night - then my son's party on sat (also pizza and bowling LOL) - then his actual birthday on monday, for which he has demanded key lime pie (I like the way the kid thinks LOL), plus cub scout pizza party tonite. Ugh there is alot of pizza in my future. better get in some exercise because I can't pass up pizza - that is a given.

tired...so tired. bowling and pizza, bowling and pizza - want to go to bed now...

on the lighter side, I brought a fruit and veggie tray to the party so I could have something besides pizza - and all the party guests devoured it! everybody got their veggies today LOL. Tomorrow, a running day. Hopefully a peaceful quiet day. I have already warned everyone that I am taking a day off. I just want to play our new lego boardgames all day!

The last day of the challenge! Also my littlest is having a birthday today - he is 7 years old! Happy Birthday, Max! but I digress...

I wasn't feeling well yesterday and am about 80% better today, and I wanted to do some kind of not-too-strenuous fitness related activity since it is the last day of the challenge, so I tried out the new jump rope I bought - a $5 beaded rope. Took me a while to get the hang of it - but eventually I did three sets (50, 30, 30 revolutions) and I was pretty out of breath for a couple of minutes after that LOL. But it was fun and I liked it - so that is one more thing to add activity to my days.

Looking back at the goals I set for this challenge:

Brief overview of goals:

FITNESS

*Remain consistent in my new patterns throughout the month. This is the ultimate goal. (Posting here regularly should help me accomplish this. It was helpful during the last challenge)

I did great with the C25K running program, but not so good with the off days from that.

*Continue c25k (I am on wk 3) (Weather permitting, I will stick to the scheduled run days. Try not to wait till the end of the day to do the run as it has been getting too dark by the end because I have been waiting so late)

This went great - made progress all the way to week 6!

*Continue 200 squats program (Doing this and the pushup progression in the morning before getting dressed for the day, on non running days. This is working fine.)

This, not so good. It got too hard. The app is progressing too fast. I will have to take back control of this if I want to continue - manually adjusting the sets to something I can handle.

*Continue progression to do proper pushups (See above)

Not good at all. I slacked off on this almost immediately. Time to consider if this is something I really want to work on, or if I should just let it go.

*Continue keeping food diary and stick with avoidance of grains (This is working well on the iTouch since I like to fiddle with it - LoseIt is a great app! Last challenge I focused on observing and controlling my diet, this challenge I want to stick with it for weight loss. I have lost 6 lbs. since the last week in Dec., so I am happy and want to keep it up.)

This is still working well - I successfully logged my food and exercise intake all month. I lost 7 pounds this month! Happy with that! Avoiding grains - I let some in if it worked with my calorie budget and was socially convenient. I also ate a bit of cereal, again if it made sense withing my calorie budget for the day. I already eat mainly whole grain/slow carb grains, but the thing is, I have to be careful not to over-eat on these items.

LIFE

*Finish and file my state and federal tax returns (So much work to do - first step, find and sort receipts. Second, tally them up. That is the major work, after that it is all downhill. Have no plan but to force myself to do it. It has worked every other year - eventually.)

Perfect score here! Finished all of the above - yay, now I don't have to think about it anymore. Till next year.

*Make two blog entries on my small business site (www.SunshineForDinner.com if any of you want to take a look) (One entry should feature the plants that I have started indoors for the spring garden with photos. Next entry can link to my interview on another blog about green living - as soon as I finish and submit the interview :sigh

YES I DID GET THIS DONE!!!! YES I DID!!! OK honestly I probably would not have done this if I hadn't set it as a goal for this challenge. I am so glad that I did.

*Prep outdoor space for (dreaded/longed for) addition to our house (After this really cold weather will be a great time for this - moving old stuff is easier when you are not afraid a snake will slither out. First - make room in the barn for chest freezer that is in the way of new room. Then empty area completely. Kids have committed to help. Then rake it all out, blow it down clean. After that, no excuse not to buy materials.)

Uh, no. Pretty much failed miserably on this one. I thought about working on it today since it was the end of the challenge - but, obviously, that did not move me to reach this goal. What will it take? an act of congress?

During this challenge period, I did some form of exercise for 16 out of 28 days. That is 4x per week. Would like to hit 5 or 6 x per week by adding in some upper body work, or working on squats/pushups. It doesn't appear that I will be able to just let that go.

Hoping I get better at setting goals! I have learned a lot about it during these two challenges.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines