• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anivair

Anivair's Challenge

Hi, i'm Anivair . A few of you may have seen me stalking this site since I found it. I love the ideas and this site has already helped me drop 20 pounds and start turning my habits and body around.

That said, here's my goals for this challenge.

Diet: 1. Now that I'm going paleo/primal my goal is to do that for the full challenge (I only did it for part of the other challenge). I'll give myself 1 day per week to not stress about diet, but what I will NOT do in that time is binge of carbs (I did that one this weekend and it made me feel very ill). 2. Get under 300 pounds.

Workout: 1. Be able to do 1 pull up. 2. Level one ranger skill to 3. Fail the bear complex (because I maxed my weight, not because I gave up).

Life: I'm going to try to get my book reading and reporting done again.

Diet will probably be easy.

Workout might be tricky, especially the leveling. I'm afraid of the pull up mostly because pulling up my body weight is a lot of weight. If I weighed a lot less, that would not be so hard.

The books reviews will actually be tricky, but6 I hope to do them.

You know what makes a challenge easier? being able to move. My knee is still in bad shape (though not as bad as yesterday). I might be able to hit the gym today for a bit and do some real work. I have been eating paleo, though, and doing it well. i'm back down the 2 pounds I put on at the cake tasting for my wedding (not much i could do about that consumption). I'm feeling good, but I'll feel better when I can get to the gym regularly (this morning's ice storm over central ohio made things a bit awkward).

Congratulations on getting married! What's the date? Also, congrats on sticking to the paleo and losing cake weight. :)

There's always the bike machine if your knee is bothering you. :D

Will the bike machine not be bad for that? I'll give that a shot (been meaning to get into biking shape for when the spring happens). I might also do upper body stuff.

... what happened instead so that freezing rain blanketed by city in ice and I couldn't go anywhere. At least dinner was healthy and paleo (shepherd's pie with pureed cauliflower instead of potatoes ... perfect). Today i'm going for sure (and I actively want to, which is good). the knee is a lot better.

No joke. I lost so much tree in my front yard last night that it looked like I had planted 2 new trees. One particularly big limb hit my roof and i thought I'd been struck by lightning. So far, no real damages found.

And i'm definitely hitting the gym today (and doing some workout stuff at the office to make up for yesterday).

How goes the challenge? Not too bad. My mother came to visit and so I ended up taking a day off the gym, but I did some home workout stuff yesterday. today is the fiancé's birthday and I fell down half a flight of stairs last night, so today i'm taking it a bit easy. Yeesh! How is it that I, who does not drink fell down the stairs at the party last night?

Progress on goals: Diet: so far so good. Yesterday was my day off it (because it was the day we were celebrating the girl's birthday and the place we went didn't give me a lot of paleo options) but I still did okay. I'm all paleo all the time (well, primal since I eat a bit of dairy, but whatever) since then. Still working.

Weight: within 3 pounds of goal.

Workout: doing work towards that pull up and bench press leveling. Not touching the bear complex till the knee feels a bit better.

Life: I've gotten a lot read out of those books. I'm reading them of the cross trainer or the stationary bike (reading on the actual bike is a bad idea, as I learned when I was 14).

Goal: Fail at the Bear Complex: I know this was an easy one, but I did it yesterday. I started with 50 pounds. Round 1 wasn't bad. 60 pounds in round 2 was rough. I ran out of prefab weight, then, and I had to make a 70, but I got about halfway through 760 pounds and I crashed, so now I know. My new goal for the bear complex (next month) is a bear complex 50, 60, 70, 80 pounds.

Crossposted from the Woot room (and my blog):

I started OMFG at around 320 or so, but I actually started trying ot lose weight in earnest at 340 (the biggest I ever was, IMO).

Today, thanks to NerdFitness and a newfound love for Paleo eating, I'm at 299.

So, what worked? How did I do that? Here's what I did:

First: eating Paleo. I can't stress enough that it made me see fast results. Yes, before that dropping out fast food and soda helped a bit, but nothing made me see results like Paleo did. I even give myself a day off usually and I'm still seeing huge results. And If I can get those kinds of results and still eat something bad for me once a week (my only rule is that it be worth it, so fast food is right out) I feel good about it as a lifestyle. No, I can't always control what I eat. But that lack of control doesn't usually hit me more often than once a week. Most of the time I'm a big boy and can handle feeding myself.

Exercise: here's what I do. YMMV. I get up in the morning (most days) and go to the gym (I belong to Planet Fitness. It's astonishingly cheap and pretty well set up). Why go to the gym and not do a workout at home? because at the gym if I say i'm going to do 2 miles, I do it. At home, I stop whenever I feel like it. Also, at the gym I can go work out, shower, dress, and go to work in a streamlined way.

So anyway, I usually go to the gym in the morning. I follow Mark Sisson's ideas pretty closely. I do easy days about 4 days a week (3 this challenge). I do strength training 2 days a week (3 this challenge) and I do sprints once a week.

If i can't make it to the gym, i do a body weight circuit at home.

Also, my office has a view of some trees behind it and a picture framed on the wall opposite my desk, so anytime I notice a bird flying around in the reflection in front of me, I do some push ups or squats in my office. Just ten and then I get back to work, but it keeps me moving all day, at least a little (right now I do the push ups leaning against the window so i can see the world outside me).

And really, that's it. I chilled out my showers, but only because it helps with dandruff (it really does, too! Try it). I haven't noticed it doing anything in particular for my metabolism after a month or so.

But I have started to do some Intermittent Fasting, just to see if it helps. I'll post about that again after I have some more experience with it.

So that's it. Now I'm, off to update my character sheet.

note to self: also hit level 3 bodyweight squats today. My expectation was that I would level either bench press or barbell squats this month (and I still intend to) but it's good enough to qualify.

the Pull Up: I am so close to this. I'm hoping to heave myself up there by Monday when the challenge ends, but i guess you never know. I still weight a lot (296) and that's a lot of *me* to pull up there, but I have high hopes. I've been doing reverse pull ups, strengthening in general, and doing Australian pull ups to prep and improve.

So interestingly, if you still can't do 1 pull up but you try really really really hard ... mostly you hurt your arms.

I think I'll take tomorrow off the gym.

Closing up shop: So how did i do on this challenge? Well, let's see.

Diet 1: eat paleo for the full challenge. This was easy and I loved it, so well i did well, i won't give myself TOO many points for it. A

Diet 2: get under 300 pounds: done. Checked it off. I'm at 295 (give or take a pound depending on the day) and once my stress levels go down (work's a bear) I'm expecting to fall more. Bonus points for being woot of the week last week. A+

Workout 1: Pull Up. The bane of my exercise existence. I have made a lot of progress, but that progress only gets me halfway up and my arms then sit at 90 degrees and my forearms complain and it hurts. I call that a solid C+. Not really worth a b, but I'm improving.

Workout 2: Level 1 ranger skill to 3. Done I did many squats. I could have probably taken it a bit father. I'm only giving myself a B on this, though, because I was hoping to level barbell squats or bench press instead.

Workout 3: Fail the Bear Complex. Done, but it won't be worth a lot of points because it was easy (well .... it was excruciating, but I could have done it at anytime) A

Life: Book Reports: read, but not finished. D.

Total Score: an even B. I'm happy with that.