• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LynnyLee

LynnyLee's challenge to be better at life.

Pasting from the squad sign up thread:

Name:

LynnyLee

Brief overview of goals:

strength training twice a week

flexibility training twice a week

track what I'm eating (I'll be posting it in my thread since that seems to keep me on track better, so I apologize in advance for the long ramblings I'll be posting)

Cleaning for 90 minutes a week

Class:

Primary: Druid

Secondary: Scout

Follow a specific way of eating:

Nope

Other info:

I've been belly dancing for 8 years and am part of a professional dance company. This is the driving force behind my fitness goals. I already spend a lot of time practicing my dancing on top of the additional workouts I want to add.

Additional info not in squad thread:

- I work for my family's trucking company. Starting later this week I will be in the office by myself while other members of my family/coworkers are away at various things for the next 3 weeks. This will be stressful. Obviously this will make everything a greater challenge.

- I have chronic sinusitis, and I'm currently recovering from a nasty sinus infection and hoping I don't get another. This too will make thing complicated for awhile.

Howdy Lynnylee,

Do it to it.

Is there a lot of downtime at the office (like are just there in holding down the fort or are you always working on something like filing or projects)?

Either way, booyah for more people doing the challenge.

The only downtime I get is when I'm on hold trying to make delivery appointments at a warehouse. (Like right now.) Otherwise I'm always working on something. I just found out my sister will still be here another week beyond the rest of the family, and my uncle will be around the whole time, but he will be driving local loads. Also, my Dad just asked me to move a bunch of stuff to GoogleDocs so he can help out remotely. Might not be as bad as I originally thought. I guess I just have to remember that the future comes whether I worry about it or not.

Just as I hit enter on this I got the "Daily Thinking & Meditation" e-mail from a friend who's a minister. Today's thought: Worry doesn't work, so release yourself from it." :)

Edited by LynnyLee
Funny thing happened.

I really like the addition of the 90 minutes of cleaning a week. I may need to add it to my goals to gain more appreciation from my wife.

Best of luck with your goals!

While I'm in the posting mood, here it goes:

Breakfast: protein shake (190 calories)

Lunch: leftover burger from a few nights ago & some banana bread (650 calories - ish)

Dinner: leftover cornbread and terrible chili; seriously, I tried a new recipe & it was not good, but we've got to get rid of it and soaking it up in cornbread made it ok. (575 calories)

Snack: huge mug of hot cocoa (240 calories)

Also did a Bar method DVD today called "Designer Sculpting." I've done this DVD quite a bit and I don't know what this workout is supposed to sculpt me into, I just know that afterward my muscles have that wonderful worked feeling.

Cleaning: Spent 20 minutes de-cluttering the living room.

Food diary

Breakfast: gulped some chocolate milk & a handful of mixed nuts before work (Unlike 98% of my friends I am not a wuss and did not let a little snow stop me from being a responsible adult.) (400 calories)

Lunch: more chili and corn bread, also some banana bread someone brought in...ok, a big chunk of banana bread (933 calories)

Dinner: leftover scrounging and a bowl of strawberries, still kinda full from the banana bread (313 calories)

snack: hot cocoa after coming in from the snow (240 calories)

Did a yoga tape and dusted & vacuumed for 30 minutes, so...

Weekly recap:

cleaning: 50 minutes

stretching: 1 workout this week

strength: 1 workout this week

Interesting goals... will be taking the food diary thingy into my goals too.... :)!!

the tough part is over i feel you already started thinking about fitness so i guess thats a hit and i'm sure you will find time and way to complete it....

Yay Lynny! Among the Druids where you belong, you mad dancing woman you.

Kudos for recognizing you wern't very hungry and having a light dinner today. Thats surprisingly difficult to do.

Food diary

Breakfast: chocolate milk - this time I put it into the microwave before heading heading out into the Hoth-like wasteland that I now live in. That had to be one of my best ideas ever. (380 calories)

Then got to work & my sister (who is pregnant) came in with McDonald's breakfast. She took 1 nibble of a hash brown & said "Ewwwww, I can't eat this! You eat it," and threw it on my desk. I saw no reason argue. (130 calories)

Lunch: the last of the mediocre chili. (376 calories)

Snack: last of the banana bread, probably a good thing since that stuff is so good and I can't seem to eat just a little bit of it. (350 calories)

dinner: Had 2 hours of dance troupe practice in the evening, so I just ordered pizza afterward. (550 calories)

No cleaning or additional workouts since work, dance practice, and driving slowly through the snow took up the whole day.

Edited by LynnyLee

I really like the addition of the 90 minutes of cleaning a week. I may need to add it to my goals to gain more appreciation from my wife.

Best of luck with your goals!

Can you channel some of that chore-love to my husband?!!!

The belly dance company I'm with is working on a new choreography & simultaneously teaching it to the studio's level 4 students. Since we're still pulling it together a 2 hour practice isn't quite a workout yet.

We're still having to do chunks, stop, then decide what (if any) changes need to be made. What formations we need to be in, and how to make it flow to the next section. Also, in some places we have the choreography done, but still haven't decided what finger cymbal patterns we're playing, or visa versa.

That sounds like such fun..Do does your dance company preform a lot? I envy people that can preform like that :) I can only dance in my kitchen but atleast the dogs approve..I think :)...Keep up the fun work!!!!

I wish I lived a little closer so I could take lessons! Belly dance is so much fun! I used to dance regularly before we moved to San Diego and at first it was just difficult to find a teacher/class that wasn't in-fighting and also was less than a 45min drive to get to....then I got burned out on the whole b!@#! craziness of one teacher and her class, that I dropped out...and then we moved, and then we moved again, and then I had surgery, and now I'd like to get back into dance, but am currently settling for practicing moves a couple times a week between chopping and preparing food and the time it takes to come out of the oven.... The cats definitely approve b/c I usually have the feather on a string to help get them involved in exercising, too.

Zagareet!

I never got playing zills -- I just picked up the rythmic patterns, but at some point you really need to know some technique or your fingers will get all twisted... sigh.

You should jump up and down when you're discussing choreography. I'm sure you won't get any weird looks at all! :P

I already have a reputation for having way too much energy. That wouldn't help.

That sounds like such fun..Do does your dance company preform a lot? I envy people that can preform like that :)

We perform a lot in the spring/summer/fall, but we always have a slow time in the winter...like right now. We always tell new students that if performing doesn't sounds like fun, you don't have to do it.

@Hennagrrrrl I know how frustrating all the drama can be. There are troupes in St. Louis that deal with all that. We're sort of immune to it thanks to geography. We're about 20 minutes away from all the other troupes and just on the other side of the Mississippi river. Here's the odd thing: people on the Illinois side don't think twice about going to Missouri, people from Missouri act like coming to Illinois involves crossing lava pits or something. Thus, we go over to visit and have fun, but they won't come over to us to start drama. It's nice. We don't really have a lot of in-fighting either. We all get along well, and our studio head is a very warm, loving person. Also, running the studio is her full-time job and the business is her only source of income, so alienating students/customers would be a bad idea.

As far as playing zills, I used to be a drummer & was in marching band, so I have an advantage. :P The head of Lotus Arts studios is also really big on the idea that if you want to be a serious student, you need to learn about the rhythms and the culture as well. I appreciate that.

Edited by LynnyLee

Well, this is going to be a long rambling post. Sorry.

Day 4

Food diary

Breakfast: protein shake (190 calories)

Lunch: leftover pizza (630 calories)

dinner: sister and brother in law came over and the boys made us quesadilla-ish things. They tasted pretty good at least (estimated 640 calories, not really sure...)

No snacks

No cleaning. After the family left I popped in a yoga tape for a stretch workout.

Day 5

Food Diary

Breakfast: None since I was awakened early with a crisis. A driver dropped the company credit card down a storm grate in a truck stop parking lot. Fortunately it was a local driver, so I got him another card and canceled the dropped one. Then got a call that at our other terminal the paychecks didn't get signed and there was no one there authorized to do it. So, I got to drive 30 minutes there to sign paychecks and then 30 minutes back to my office. By that time it was 11:30.

Lunch: On the way back to the office I knew I was famished, but had no idea what food options were. I called the office and got a hold of the pregnant sister. She immediately insisted I stop at Arby's on my way back. I wasn't going to argue. Got both of us #2 meals with curly fires and shakes. (1200 calories)

Dinner: I still still kinda full from the huge Arby's meal well into the night. After all the mediocre chili, husband decided to make some good stuff, and I ate some just cause it smelled good. (300 calories)

No snacks.

Spent a huge chunk of time cleaning the office at work, but none at home.

No strength or flexibility workouts. Went to the gym with a friend after work, and she just wanted to walk. I got us some treadmills because, well, I love her, she is one of my best friends, but she walks so slowly it makes me crazy. Two treadmills next to each other worked so we can each walk our own pace and still chat. Still not sure what I'm going to do about this "gym buddy" situation that's carrying over from last challenge, but I'll think of something.

Day 6

Breakfast: chocolate milk on my way to another 2 hour dance practice. This time it was a workout. (400 calories in; many more calories out)

Lunch: Husband was at work, so I was bad. A neighbor came over and we pulled out my deep fryer and dropped in some cheese balls and cream puffs. (1400 calories)

Dinner: None. No snacks either, just family trouble here's why:

Pregnant sister called halfway through the day to see if I was sick. Said she felt terrible, but it didn't feel like it was pregnant sick and she hadn't slept since I last saw her. I ruled out food poisoning from Arby's since I was fine. I told her if she needed anything to call me back. A few hours later she called me near hysterics. She still felt terrible and couldn't get a hold of her husband and was worried. (He's a sheriff's deputy and is working night shift at the county jail, so I could see her concern.) I packed up and went over to her house. She had a fever and nasty stomach issues. Another words pregnant with the flu, and worried about her husband. Poor thing. I didn't eat, but just stayed with her until 7am when her husband came home. It's now day 7, and I still need to sleep.

But first weekly recap thus far:

cleaning: 50 minutes

stretching: 2 workouts this week

strength: 1 workout this week

Food diary

Breakfast: chocolate milk (400 calories)

lunch: didn't happen since I finally managed to get some sleep

snack: some cheese popcorn (350 calories)

dinner: husband brought Chinese food home from work. Just as well since I forgot to thaw any meat for dinner. (705 calories)

Got out the weights and tried a Denise Austin video I got from a friend. It was high on the cheese factor, but it was also high on the muscle working factor. I think I'll probably do it again, but never admit it to my friends.

Cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry for 40 minutes so that I could round out my cleaning goal.

Weekly recap

Stretching workouts: 2 workouts this week

strength workouts: 2 workouts this week

cleaning: 90 minutes this week

All goals met. Woot!

Edited by LynnyLee

Awesome on the goals met!!

I have so many cheesy workout videos that I would not dare tell anyone I have... my husband is sworn to secrecy teehee...but honestly there is nothing better than a workout video that is so funny and cheesy that it makes you feel better just from laughing....I have a few dancing videos like that and they are my favs!