• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sandman

Sandman's "Last Chance Workout!" Challenge

I called it my 'Last Chance Workout' challenge because I want to be 199lbs or better before my ski trip in March. We leave March 5th, so I'm using this challenge to get me there. I don't have Jillian, Bob or the 2 other new trainers riding my ass however, so I'm counting on you guys to give me that push instead. ;)

Overriding goal: get sub 200lbs. This means losing a hair over 10lbs, or more specifically, 3bs per week. Totally achievable. Specific goals to reach this milestone:

Health/Fitness goals:

1) strength training 2 times per week

2) aerobic activity 2 times per week (running, cycling)

3) all out sprinting session 1 time per week (running or cycling)

4) complete compliance to the Primal diet lifestyle

Level Up goals:

1) finish the Primal Blueprint, start 'The Paleo Solution' by Robb Wolf

2) clean up and organize my home AND work office.

Class: Ranger

Other Stuff:

Currently casual primal, meaning I make efforts to eat as close to Primal (Paleo + dairy) as I can, however I won't turn down grains if we go out, or if someone else cooks a meal for me. I do however plan on spending this challenge being as absolutely compliant as possible.

Currently my strength training consists of bodyweight exercises only - primarily routines that Steve has put together either through the Rebel Guide, or just his youtube channel alone. I'm also a strong believer in Pavel's Grease the Groove principles.

Edited by sandman
updated goal

Feb 1

Challenge Weigh In - 212.0 lb. It would appear there are differing numbers between my home scale and the gym scale. I will continue to use the gym scale as my term of reference.

AM Strength Training

10 min cardio warmup

BW circuit: 20 Squats, 10 Pushups, 20 Lunges, 20 Rows, Planks (75 seconds), 30 Jumping Jacks (Rinse, Repeat)

On the menu:

2 omelette cupcakes for breakfast

1 meatloaf cupcake for snack

spaghetti squash, ground beef and tomato/veggie sauce for lunch

2 meatloaf cupcake for snack

? for dinner. It'll be ground beef something.

Edited by sandman
added details

I'm right where you are, amigo. I want to be under 225 by March 1 and I started out at 237. Sounds like you're doing swell so far, though -- so I guess I'll race you there? :P In all seriousness, though, I think you're totally going to rock this goal.

How are you liking The Primal Blueprint? I'm about a chapter in, and it's neat stuff so far.

so I guess I'll race you there? :P In all seriousness, though, I think you're totally going to rock this goal.

It's on! :)

How are you liking The Primal Blueprint? I'm about a chapter in, and it's neat stuff so far.

Excellent book. For years I've had in the back of my mind that the direction our society was heading with regards to diet and processed everything was completely backwards, often thinking 'cavemen didn't eat this crap, why should i?'. I foolishly thought I was the only one thinking in this context, and along comes an entire MOVEMENT of people wanting to 'live like Grok did'.

It's been a real learning experience reading the book, and I feel myself turning into a bit of a Primal zealot when faced with conventional wisdom dietary and fitness choices. I can't watch Biggest Loser and take their 'trainer tips' seriously anymore. I feel like yelling at Bob for suggesting such craziness, lol.

I was initially planning on finishing the book before transitioning to Primal, but it made so much sense to me that I started making the change long before I got through the book and I can tell you that even being casually Primal as I am now, it's made a world of difference.

What sold it for me was his chapter comparing Grok to the Korgs. So much of that modern family is reflected on myself or my family that I knew right away that changes needed to be made. I'm also appreciating all the studies and findings he references. It adds a lot of credibility to the lifestyle and gives ammunition for you to use when someone questions your sanity for choosing it.

I never really did the podcast thing, but now I'm also hooked on the Robb Wolf weekly podcasts - and am slowly working my way through his archives. I'd highly recommend checking those out too. He and his podcast partner, Andy are hilarious to listen to but also very informative and educating. As soon as I finish Primal Blueprint I'll be checking out Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution.

I called it my 'Last Chance Workout' challenge because I want to be 199lbs or better before my ski trip in March.

Where are you headed? I always think having a set-in-stone goal like a ski trip helps motivate me a lot. When I did my first big trip to Jackson Hole I worked out like crazy. I didn't have the knowledge I do now so a lot of it was wasted on improper form and machines, but at least I went. And the trip was awesome!

Your goals sound good...I like the sprinting sessions. Great way to mix it up and get ready for some heart pounding trails :)

I never really did the podcast thing, but now I'm also hooked on the Robb Wolf weekly podcasts - and am slowly working my way through his archives. I'd highly recommend checking those out too. He and his podcast partner, Andy are hilarious to listen to but also very informative and educating.

What's the topic of their podcast? I have about 2 hours of commuting a day, and I've been looking for a good fitness/nutrition/health/whatever podcast to add to my lineup of WoW, NPR, and trivia podcasts. :)

Also, great job attacking your goals right from the start! I couldn't help but notice "omelet cupcakes" -- what do those entail? :)

Where are you headed? I always think having a set-in-stone goal like a ski trip helps motivate me a lot. When I did my first big trip to Jackson Hole I worked out like crazy. I didn't have the knowledge I do now so a lot of it was wasted on improper form and machines, but at least I went. And the trip was awesome!

Your goals sound good...I like the sprinting sessions. Great way to mix it up and get ready for some heart pounding trails :)

The trip is to Panorama, BC. We were supposed to be going to Kickinghorse, but apparently nobody at my work was interested in going, so we changed the destination. I personally am not a fan of Pano because most of the time's I've been there it's just been a big ice-ball, but I'll take a mediocre trip over no trip. :) They do have killer on hill accomodations and a sweet bar scene at night so there's that... :)

I go on one major snowboarding trip and one major bike trip a year. Have been for oh, 10 years now. In between we try to squeeze in day trips here and there to keep the muscles aware that they'll be called into action at any time. When it comes to riding I'm actually in very good shape for it, and can outride most of my friends half my size - so my weight loss goal is more of a personal achievement thing than any sort of training goal. :)

I'm looking forward to busting out the gopro for this getaway. First time i'll have this cam for a ski trip so it's exciting. My group is going to be sick of the cameras by the end of it :)

I'm looking forward to the sprinting sessions. Never really focused on that before, so I'll be interested to see where I benchmark.

What's the topic of their podcast? I have about 2 hours of commuting a day, and I've been looking for a good fitness/nutrition/health/whatever podcast to add to my lineup of WoW, NPR, and trivia podcasts. :)

Check out http://robbwolf.com. If you seek them out on iTunes, search for 'The Paleo Solution', or more simply 'Robb Wolf'. The podcasts are paleo-centric, but specific topics vary from week to week based on the questions submitted by readers/listeners. Last week there was a question about if Robb feeds his cat a Paleo diet, lol. Each episode clocks in at usually just under an hour, so they make for AWESOME commute listening. I'm the same as you, commuting for about an hour and a half total.

Also, great job attacking your goals right from the start! I couldn't help but notice "omelet cupcakes" -- what do those entail? :)

Thanks! I've been competing here long enough to learn that a simple 'work out more' doesn't fly as a challenge goal.. ;)

There's all sorts of ways to make them, but basically -

Preheat your oven to 350

grease a couple muffin tins - important or you'll tear them apart pulling them out.

mix up a BIG batch of your favorite omelet batter into a big mixing bowl. Each batch I make I use different ingredients to add some variety, so this time I did this:

1 doz eggs, whisked well

add:

half a red pepper, chopped finely

half a yellow pepper, chopped finely

8 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled

2 green onions, chopped finely

and 2 big handfuls of spinach, again chopped finely

kosher or sea salt, pepper to taste

(a food processor makes quick work of all of the above ingredients)

mix the whole works together and using a 1/4c measure, dispense into the muffin tins

bake for a half hour, or until the eggs are set. let cool a bit before removing from the tins.

I keep a few out for the next day and freeze the rest. Makes an awesome breakfast or even a go-to snack when you're feeling peckish.

Whatever ingredients you use, if you plan on freezing them try to stick to 'dryer' veggies or when nuking from frozen they'll be swimming in a pool of water by the time they're done cooking. Asparagus was a soupy mess..

For me a dozen eggs will make about 18 'cupcakes':)

Edited by sandman
grammar, spelling, yikes!

Feb 2 Update

AM Aerobic session

20 minutes + 10 minutes of stretching

On the Menu:

breakfast: 2 omelet cupcakes (expect this to be a common theme :) )

snack: not hungry

lunch: snap peas, red pepper, mushrooms + meatloaf (no spinach :()

snack: tba

dinner: tba

Edited by sandman
updated the day's menu

SUCKS!

I went to dive into my big spinach salad today, only to discover the spinach had gone funky. It doesn't look moldy, but taste tells a different story. I wound up picking around the spinach and eating the rest of the veggies - snap peas, mushrooms and peppers - but considering the bulk of the salad was the spinach I'm still freaking starving.

Now I gotta go forage something from our crappy little convenience store kiosk in the atrium downstairs.. :(

I'm looking forward to the sprinting sessions. Never really focused on that before, so I'll be interested to see where I benchmark.

Good luck with them, I think you'll enjoy it. The trip sounds great too...could be a good year for BC...lots of moisture and cold air. But as I've found with all of my trips is you can't plan on having powder on a ski trip...just need to cross your fingers and do a snow dance.

SUCKS!

I went to dive into my big spinach salad today, only to discover the spinach had gone funky. It doesn't look moldy, but taste tells a different story. I wound up picking around the spinach and eating the rest of the veggies - snap peas, mushrooms and peppers - but considering the bulk of the salad was the spinach I'm still freaking starving.

Now I gotta go forage something from our crappy little convenience store kiosk in the atrium downstairs.. :(

When making salads yesterday, my wife and I had to throw out the spinach because it had gone bad, I have to wonder if there is a way to have it last longer.

Also, I'm new to the whole salad as a meal thing, do you have any recommendations?

Last week there was a question about if Robb feeds his cat a Paleo diet, lol.

I must listen to this! I feel so guilty whenever I give my cats dry food nowadays! Should I be looking for grass-fed beef and wild fish in my cat tins?? D:

Also, I have a new book to add to your queue - "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallen. I mentioned it before, but just started reading it and there's some great stuff! Also, a ton of recipes for traditional methods of cooking before modern convenience got rid of things like soaking beans and canning your own food.

Now to go Book Club on you....

Reading PB, do you ever get the feeling like you're reading some crazy conspiracy theory? The more Fallen quotes studies linking unsaturated fats to heart disease or the increase in cancer correlating with the rise of low-fat and high carb diets, the more I feel like I've been lied to my entire life. Yes, I've gotten the feeling that our society has been veering off track for the last few centuries (reinforced by reading books like "Ishmael"), but to hear that the FDA is outright skewing conclusions from studies? It's not too hard to believe that they're in the pocket of the corn and grain industry, but still, I feel like more people should be taking about this! I'm guessing Mark probably writes about a lot of the same research in PB, so I'm curious about your reaction.

When making salads yesterday, my wife and I had to throw out the spinach because it had gone bad, I have to wonder if there is a way to have it last longer.

How long had you had it? I can buy a 1lb box of spinach for a 2 person household and it'll last for a couple of weeks.... long enough to go through it, since I usually eat a few cups at a time. I usually buy the plastic boxes vs. the bag though, because I feel like it lasts a little longer. Maybe because the leaves aren't getting all smushed? And maybe baby spinach vs full leaf makes a difference??

Also, I have a new book to add to your queue - "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallen. I mentioned it before, but just started reading it and there's some great stuff! Also, a ton of recipes for traditional methods of cooking before modern convenience got rid of things like soaking beans and canning your own food.

Added! Are the recipes fairly quick/basic to make? We have limited time to prep and cook with the ankle biters nipping at our heels. We generally don't cook until after they go to bed - which leaves only a small amount of time to do so.

Now to go Book Club on you....

Reading PB, do you ever get the feeling like you're reading some crazy conspiracy theory? ... I've gotten the feeling that our society has been veering off track for the last few centuries (reinforced by reading books like "Ishmael"), but to hear that the FDA is outright skewing conclusions from studies? ... I'm guessing Mark probably writes about a lot of the same research in PB, so I'm curious about your reaction.

TOTALLY. And I feel even weirder when I try explaining it to people that are so ingrained (heh) in the conventional way of thinking. "You don't eat grains because they're poison? wha?"

Sisson does at times try to lead you to believe things are a big conspiracy, perpetrated by the grain and corn industry, however subtly so, but I tend to just gloss over that stuff. While *I* believe that eating paleolithic makes sense, and that *I've* been responding to it very well, you can't deny that MANY many people lead perfectly normal lives with grains in their diets. Are they as healthy as they could possibly be? Maybe not, but they certainly aren't teetering on the edge of death either.

Also, I'm new to the whole salad as a meal thing, do you have any recommendations?

Color. The more color you can add to your salad, the tastier it will be, the more nutritious and filling it will be, and the less likely you will be to get bored of it. Red peppers, yellow peppers, cauliflower, mushrooms, snap peas, tomatoes, etc. And change it up often because you'll get sick of eating the same garden salad every day in a big hurry. When you get tired of one kind of lettuce, change it up to a different kind, or go to spinach. The varieties are endless.

Then on top of that I'll throw chopped up meat - usually chicken. I try to stick to basic oil&vinegar type dressings to keep the number of unidentifiable chemicals down.

Also, not sure if bacon is a part of your diet or not, but lots of crumbled bacon helps.. Everything's better with bacon. ;)

How long had you had it? I can buy a 1lb box of spinach for a 2 person household and it'll last for a couple of weeks.... long enough to go through it, since I usually eat a few cups at a time. I usually buy the plastic boxes vs. the bag though, because I feel like it lasts a little longer. Maybe because the leaves aren't getting all smushed? And maybe baby spinach vs full leaf makes a difference??

In my case the spinach came in loose bundles from the store, but were stored in my crisper in the plastic bag I put them in. They were likely already on their way out when I bought them but being stored in an essentially mold-encouraging environment I'm sure didn't help.

My spinach was around 6 day old, it was the kind in a bag, so I probably should have looked for something more fresh. I do need to look up some dressing recipes.

Feb 3 Update

AM Strength Workout

5 minutes cardio workout

BW circuit: 20 Squats, 15 Pushups, 20 Lunges, 30 Rows, Planks (75 seconds), 30 Jumping Jacks (Rinse, Repeat)

Hit a new record for pushups and rows this morning. Not hitting my personal best yet for uninterrupted reps (26) but 5 more than before, so I'll take it!

On the menu:

Breakfast - 2 omelets, 1 meatloaf

Snack - not hungry

Lunch - Bunch of coworkers and I went for vietnamese. I had a grilled beef and prawn bowl with veggies over rice noodles. Not exactly paleo, but far from unhealthy

Snack - not hungry

Dinner - stir fried veggies (snap peas, celery, gr onion, gr pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, mushrooms, carrots) with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Friggen delicious.

Overall a great day! Spent the evening cleaning house a bit, cooking dinner and baking some bacon. (I've discovered that of all the ways you can cook bacon, slow roasted in the oven tastes the best). Plus I finally remembered to take some before pics - not that you guys will get to see them... until I have some stellar after ones to go with it! ;)

Sanjh - haven't tried any of these yet myself, but - http://www.paleofood.com/dressing.htm

Spinach in a box (rather than a bag) lasts longer in my experience, too. Those salad bags just seem to encourage funk. The result for me is that I tend to stick to heartier veggies, and buy my salads out. :(

The omelet cupcakes are definitely intriguing-- I may be trying those in the near future (although I will likely find a different name for them, LOL). :) Thanks for the tips!

Color. The more color you can add to your salad, the tastier it will be, the more nutritious and filling it will be, and the less likely you will be to get bored of it. Red peppers, yellow peppers, cauliflower, mushrooms, snap peas, tomatoes, etc. And change it up often because you'll get sick of eating the same garden salad every day in a big hurry. When you get tired of one kind of lettuce, change it up to a different kind, or go to spinach. The varieties are endless.

Then on top of that I'll throw chopped up meat - usually chicken. I try to stick to basic oil&vinegar type dressings to keep the number of unidentifiable chemicals down.

Also, not sure if bacon is a part of your diet or not, but lots of crumbled bacon helps.. Everything's better with bacon. ;)

I just wanted to add to this that I look at menus from salad places like chop't for inspiration. I am not such a fan of lettuce or spinach, so I usually make it an equal part to the other parts of the salad, not the base, then I have enough flavorful stuff that I don't need dressing.

Hey my friend! Just wanted to poke my head in and give you a *highfive!*. I know you're going to rock this challenge, and you're off to an awesome start.

I feel very conspiracy-theory-ish when I try to explain to people the whole paleo deal. They just can't wrap their heads around it. Grains are a FOODGROUP, how could they be bad?!? I'm not crazy!!

Congrats on your PBs. I have no idea how you do 30 rows. I do 7 and feel like I'm going to die.

Feb 4 update:

Missed workout today

Had the day off from work, and when that happens my routine goes out the window

On the Menu:

Breakfast: Bacon and Eggs

Snack: Apple and Almond Butter

Lunch: Leftover Chicken Stirfry

Snack: not hungry

Dinner: Leftover Chicken Stirfry

Snack: Small bowl of butter chicken

We did make it out to the play gym with the kids yesterday, so we got a little bit active, but nowhere near being able to call it a workout.

Spinach in a box (rather than a bag) lasts longer in my experience, too. Those salad bags just seem to encourage funk. The result for me is that I tend to stick to heartier veggies, and buy my salads out. :(

The omelet cupcakes are definitely intriguing-- I may be trying those in the near future (although I will likely find a different name for them, LOL). :) Thanks for the tips!

What's wrong with the name?? ;)

Hey my friend! Just wanted to poke my head in and give you a *highfive!*. I know you're going to rock this challenge, and you're off to an awesome start.

I feel very conspiracy-theory-ish when I try to explain to people the whole paleo deal. They just can't wrap their heads around it. Grains are a FOODGROUP, how could they be bad?!? I'm not crazy!!

Congrats on your PBs. I have no idea how you do 30 rows. I do 7 and feel like I'm going to die.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]175[/ATTACH]

Heh.. It's funny - people I wouldn't expect to be skeptic are, and people I would have totally thought would shun me are asking to borrow my copy of PB or simply getting their own. Wierd.

In the interest of full disclosure, the 30 rows is 15 per side. ;) But the secret to my success is probably due to hauling my 25lb kids around all the time. :)

post-330-13567242858722_thumb.jpg

post-330-13567242858722_thumb.jpg