Advice from someone who lost almost 120 lbs...

FyreFlies

FyreFlies...I found your post extrordinarily encouraging. I have heard great things about going Paleo from a fine friend who is a power lifter. She is quite inspiring. Since I am the family cook, and will only cook from scratch, I am already familiar with many of the principles. Being lovers of both Korean and Indian cuisine, it will mean my wife and I will become aquainted with  cailiflower rice and speghetti squash instead of pasta and rice.

Even though I have had success the last couple of weeks, I am aware of quickly losing water weight. It is nice to know I am involved with something that reaps long term benefits.

Cheers!

Hi Rooster! Thanks for the kind words. My background is South Asian as well - meaning I used to be ADDICTED to rice, naan/roti, and all sorts of lentils. I'm super excited for you! It's like unknown territory thats shiney and smells good. Head for it.. I promise you won't be sorry.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Do you currently have a challenge thread? Or are you completely new and going to join us nerds in the next challenge?

Good luck!

Sugarmama, how's the weight loss going? Remember, you don't have to jog long distances.. just do short sprints if you can manage them. They'll even be more beneficial in terms of losing weight. Sorry I missed your post.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

so far so good. 21 pounds down. I'm still keeping mostly on track. I did slip up and drink a soda when we were at my mom's for dinner. I immediately regretted it, it made me feel so sick! After over a month of  going without, it wasnt what I was dreaming about. I'm kind of glad I did it and  had  that reaction though so now I won't waste so much time wishing for one. I was a MAJOR soda drinker. 

Exercise is ok. I've found just walking is making my legs so tired so quick. Not sure why, but hopefully will resolve soon. 

Do you currently have a challenge thread? Or are you completely new and going to join us nerds in the next challenge?

Indeed, I just joined the forum today. So, no...I do not have a challenge thread. It looks like I have a few weeks to bone up before the next one begins. That's good. Between work, shopping for the nights dinner, food preparation, spending time with my wife and seeing to my son on the weekends, time is very tight. But, I have beginner's enthusiasm on my side.

21 pounds?! Wow! Rock on lady. Don't stress about the soda. It's the past, just look forward. Isn't it interesting how our bodies quickly adapt to the healthy foods and then all the bad food we ever ate seems like such a disaster? Keep it up lady!

As for the legs, walking will definately strengthen them. Also, try to incorporate some body weight squats - or if you have a gym membership, try to start doing some leg presses. Be sure you're drinking lots of water and eating enough. Good luck with it.

Rooster, excellent. A good way to spend time with the family is to take walks in the evenings. My neighborhood comes alive around 7 pm with people and their kids taking walks and spending time with each other. Two birds, one stone and all that jazz. Keep at it, you'll do great. :)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

I've discovered running. Any type - jogging, intermittent sprinting - it's all awesome. Try it! =)

Hi Rooster - thanks!

Power walks are good too. What kind of ankle problems? I've also had a few surgeries on one of my ankles when I was a teenager - so I can relate. Sometimes it sparks up at the weirdest things.

Stay consistent and keep pushing to the next level - week by week. You'll get there too. =)

You are a real inspiration, FyreFlies.  Once upon a time, I lost 90lbs...  but then I ended up gaining double that back.  After 10 years, I'm buckling down and losing this load.  I've lost almost 50 lbs so far, but I'm still looking about another 130 to lose.  I love reading success stories, and you have very sound advice.

Running is amazing.  I think the thing I love most about it...  is that I can do it.  :)

Hi Fenshire - excellent! I know maintenance can be difficult. Since I've had such a huge success - I find myself cheating more and more. O_O

But then I step on the scale and return to my diet always. Lots of people say that maintaining the weight loss is one of the hardest parts. The way I'm dealing with it is challenging myself to learning new, complex exercises and pushing myself to get them right. Currently, that's L-sits for me.

Keep at it! You've done it once, this time it's going and staying off. ;)

Hey, I am here and motivated some...kind of like your first 40 lbs...my weight loss has also been a journey, and more of the mind than the body...I know what to do, but cannot stay motivated enough...or am not in enough pain to change my habits by leaps & bounds.  I am frustrated...and sitting in a lot of fear of letting go of somthing that has always been comforting. 

I have set goals, and I eat well for about 14 days and then I fall back off.  I give up here and there and get back on, my body is in constant yoyo! in Oct 2012 I had knee surgery and gained 6lbs...now trying to get it off..plus atleast for now 50lbs.  I just need a place I can be honest and open and not afraid...But I am struggling..HELP! I have received Nerd Fitness emails for a long time and this is my first challenge.  I have been walking I get in about 2.5 miles about 3-5 times a week.  I just cannot seem to get it together, I either have the food down or the exercise I cannot seem to find that balance. I am not sure how to do anything on this challenge. But I am willing! for me that is the first step,

thanks for the inspiration!

Progress not perfection! <3

Well, don't beat yourself up. You've lost 40 lbs! That's something!

It's great that you can recognize that you keep falling off after 14 days. The food part is the hardest part. Keep your kitchen clean of anything that is going to cause you to fall off the wagon. Another thing is your workouts. I think if you have a solid workout partner that is going to make you do what you need to each and every day - that will keep you from falling off the wagon in that regard.

Don't stress about it - again the key is to work out a plan and just do it. Once you see the lbs melting off, you get more and more motivated. I never thought I could lose - now 123 lbs, but I've done it. mind over matter.

Read around the forum, you'll see some other great ideas on how to stick with diet and exercises. Take care!

Bumpage. I haven't posted in a while.

So here's the status. Weight goal is 15 lbs away. And I've been stuck for the past 4 months or so.

New plan has been implemented - eat more protein, cut down on the fats. I've also started morning sprints in a fasted state to get rid of the remaining fat deposits.

Will keep you guys posted. Pray for me. :)

Hey, FyreFlies - I just read through all this thread, and I have to say, congrats!  So much respect for you, and for everyone on here who has made the effort and been dedicated enough to be on their way to goal weight!

I'm really not going to sound like anything special here - I'm trying to lose weight, yes, but I've only got about 10kg to lose (22lb).  And quite frankly, I'd be happy if I stayed exactly the same weight as I am now, provided I reduced body fat percentage and put on muscle instead.

But I'd like to thank you for posting this thread because I'm about a month into this, and I'm starting to freak out.  I've gone Paleo, and I've just started calorie counting because I realised I had no clue whatsoever whether I was getting the right amount of food.  The amount of conflicting information freaks me out.  I've tried to figure out workouts to achieve the goals I want to, but I've no experience with it, so I've been second-guessing myself on workout plans for a week and a half now.  I don't deal well with anxiety, and it's definitely getting the better of me right now, especially when I look at my goals and have no idea whether I'm moving towards or away from them.  I've just moved in to my dorm and am only staying a few months, so I have no scales, no mirror for before/after photos, and no measuring tape.  I've been wrapping my belt around my waist and using the holes on it as a a measure, and the inability to see whether I'm progressing or not is driving me slowly insane.

And then I read this thread and it said so many things that I really needed to hear.  I'm a lot calmer now, and looking forward to smashing through these problems with the power of Problem Solving and Sheer Bl__dymindedness.  I'll know whether I'm succeeding or not when I get back to my home country and my friends and family notice a difference, I guess.

I'm still not confident, and the anxiety is still getting to me, but I'm a lot more hopeful, so I guess that's what counts.

So to everyone in this thread - keep being awesome!  You guys are amazing and so inspiring.  And especially to FyreFlies - thanks for the tips, and best of luck on those last few pounds!  You'll get past the plateau, definitely.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Hi Vella, thanks for your sweet comments.

Although I'm stuck at a number on the scale - I am making strides with my bf%. My ultimate goal is 17-18% bf. Today I'm at 24%. And yes, forget the scale or any measurements - the best indicator of your progress is how you feel. Are you feeling lighter and more agile? Can you do stuff you haven't been able to do before? Are your jeans fitting better? That's all you really need to know you're headed in the right direction.

I'm in the exact spot as you, I'd LIKE to lose another 15 lbs - but am I gonna flip out about it? Nah. Everyday I walk into Crossfit and lift big. Then I go to the gym afterwards and lift bigger. THAT is my progress and THAT is the only thing that matters to me.

Don't worry about what others think. This is all about you. But here's some things I've learned to drop BF% successfully -

1) Sprints are your best friend. I do them 3-4 days a week, fasted, early in the morning. I do tabata timings (20 sec MAX effort, 10 sec rest) - but you work up to what works best for you.

2) High protein. Currently - I'm taking in 130-140 g of protein a day. And I mean grilled chicken bewbs, lean ground meat, turkey, EGGS! I tried the protein powders - just didn't fly with me.

3) Paleo but limited on nuts and fruits. However, I take in about 70 or so grams of fat each day.

4) Lift heavy. This is fun! Do what you can - push yourself each time you go in. I can't tell you how many times this week I've fallen flat on my ass doing snatches because I kept pushing the limits on how much I'm lifting.

5) Be Patient!! Remember, this is supposed to be fun - it's not a DIE-T or a torture (exercise). This is something you're loving to do because you deserve a stronger/more confident you.

Good luck and I'd love to know about your progress. =)

Update:

I've now lost 140 lbs. I weigh about 138. WOOOT.

How's everyone else's weight loss going?

• Like 1