Jean sizes

Okay, so I have lost 25 pounds since late September, which is good, right? So today, I go to try on some new jeans . . . thinking I will be back down to a 34. I have been a 36 since my freshman year of college. But to no avail, I can't fit into Levi 527s, which are my favorite bootcut jeans. I tried on two other brands (Lee and some other brand I have never heard of), and they both fit fine. If I squatted in the Levis they might bust, but the others were great. What is up with all these manufacturers fabricating their own sizes. You either are or aren't a 34, ya know? Needless to say, I was bummed out that I couldn't wear the 34 in the 527s . . .

The same goes for shirts or jackets. I either am or aren't a 46 in the chest. Some suits I wear are 44 and others are 46. It makes no sense.

"Will your dog bite if I try to pet him? I don't know, ask him."

Lesson 1: Sizes never make sense.

Lesson 2: Don't get hung up about clothes sizes!

I share the same experience, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You know you lost weight and that's what matters!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Clothes sizes often make about as much sense as the ramblings of a drunk horse.

If it fits and it looks good, it doesn't matter what size it is. :)

Jeans can be a nightmare though, I'm tall and thin, took me ages to find jeans that didn't look terrible around the arse and were long enough. (However, since introducing squats to my workout it's been easier to find jeans that fit!)

Indeed size never makes sense. My boy friend bought 2 jeans recently, same brand, same shop, same size. One of the jeans is obviously smaller. With all the vanity size that the manufacturer seems to love, they are not reliable. That makes it a pain to buy clothes :/

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Be thankful you're not a woman - "vanity sizing" runs rampant in women's clothing and it's frustrating! My waist is a solid 27 - that's a size 6. Abercrombie jeans I wear a 6, Gap I wear a 4 (a 4!), Lucky is a 6, Express is a 4... etc etc. You get the idea.

Consider the fit of the 527's vs. the fit of the other jeans. Depending on where they sit on your body and how the rest of the body of the garment is cut, they will fit differently.

Letting go is the hardest asana. 

Instagram: WholeBodySwoleHeart

In recent years mens clothing has started to vary considerably.

Knowing your waist and length is no longer good enough. Used to be years ago. Whether I wear a 34, 35 (very hard to find), or 36 waist depends on the manufacturer, same with length, 32 or 34, depends on the manufacturer. 35 waist is my correct via tape measure size.

I have the issue that I need "athletic" cut for everything. Shirts fit me like crap for the most part, most are either made for fat boys or beanpoles. Hard to find the mix of wide chest, long arms, and slim waist. Pants that fit my waist rarely fit my glutes or my thighs. I'm starting to have that issue with underwear too, compression tight everywhere but the loose waist.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

As a lady, not only are the brands different, but sometimes different colors of the same shirt/jeans can fit different. Even though you are the only one to see the size, I do understand your frustration. It feels so good to put on "your" size and have to return it for a smaller number. Just don't lose sight of your accomplishment....25lbs is awesome!

She's a mess of gorgeous chaos, and you can see it in her eyes

[TABLE=width: 500, align: center]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Redlegs69, level 1 Human Adventurer

STR 4|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 1|WIS 4|CHA 3

[/TABLE]

I'm stuck in a 38 right now. I have 1 pair that actually fit OK, the rest are way too baggy (and not quite to a 36 yet). My biggest frustration is the bagginess of the legs and butt. I want something that fits my waist and that fits snug elsewhere.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

In recent years mens clothing has started to vary considerably.

Knowing your waist and length is no longer good enough. Used to be years ago. Whether I wear a 34, 35 (very hard to find), or 36 waist depends on the manufacturer, same with length, 32 or 34, depends on the manufacturer. 35 waist is my correct via tape measure size.

I have the issue that I need "athletic" cut for everything. Shirts fit me like crap for the most part, most are either made for fat boys or beanpoles. Hard to find the mix of wide chest, long arms, and slim waist. Pants that fit my waist rarely fit my glutes or my thighs. I'm starting to have that issue with underwear too, compression tight everywhere but the loose waist.

For the record, I agree with what everyone said. I want to single out Waldo though because he is having the exact same problem as me. The pair of jeans I am wearing in my profile pic are Levis 527s, my old favorite jeans. Old because they have obviously changed their sizes. I lost 25 lbs, and I'm still a 36 in 527s. I have noticed that men's clothing has started to become vanity based, too. And I am not talking about metro clothing like Hollister or Abercrombie. I am talking about REAL MEN'S clothes, haha. Like Levi, Wranglers, flannel jackets, suits, and sports gear, and any other lumberjack or cowboy associated style, HAHA. These types of clothing used to be dependable. They hadn't succumbed to vanity, I thought. But, I can say that the only thing I can rely on now are Wrangler jeans or Brooks Brothers, haha. I have had the same problem as Waldo regarding shirt sizes, too. Smaller waist for 46 chest and longer arms. I have a longer torso, which I why I only wear a 30-31 in length. I have to buy XL shirts because large shirts are super . . . super tight on chest and arms. But, XL are too long because I'm 5' 9.5". I am happy that I lost the weight, and I don't really care what "size" I am. I was just ranting about how there should be a industry standard.

Women . . . I do blame you for this, haha.

Women . . . I do blame you for this, haha.

Hey, we'd rather clothes sizes make sense too!

I have a pair of men's jeans which claim to have a 32" waist but I measured it and they're either 36 or 37 and a half inches, I forget which. I haven't checked the inseam to see if it has anything to do with reality.

weirdquark:

Good point, haha. I am not going to measure because even though the results might be good, they could be bad . . . I don't want to be disappointed, haha.

Barmacral:

You don't seem like the kinda of guy that would read articles about jeans . . . maybe wool kilts, but not jeans . . . haha.

Clothing sizing is far from consistent. I have one pair of 501s that are a 40 and another that are a 36 and they fit exactly the same (and the 36's are Shrink to Fit, so now they're smaller than new!). I also have a pair of Polo cords that are a 32 that fit fine. I know that I measure 35" on the nose right now, so I don't get hung up on the tag. As long as my wife thinks I look sexy in my jeans then it's all good.

Use a tape measure to keep track!

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

Hey there!

I'm a seamstress and have been sewing for quite some time. Each company has a set pattern in which they operate from. Often they label their sizes according to what standard pattern they have. Each company has their own standard pattern and no true company (that use factories to do there work) Will exactly measure the consistency. They are about volume. This also accounts for the fact that sometimes a pair of Jeans were labeled a size 10 or what have you and actually fit a 12. A lof of it has to do with the machine shop style of work.

As others have said don't get to hung up on the numbers. Whats even worse for women there are stores that have multiple companies that sell jeans. I went to the store I fit a size 10 in one pair and a size 18 in another. Heh. It's quiet silly. I make most of my own clothes and if you really want to look at a number then measure yourself with a soft tape and watch how that number changes.

Pan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 - Satyr - Dual Class Druid/ Warrior -

STR: 1 DEX: 2 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 3

"Those who hear not the music think the drummer mad."

Aaah! This is the bane of a woman's existence in modern America. I've had 3 completely different sizes of jeans fit me in the same shopping trip to American Eagle. I'm beginning to suspect that they just measure the pattern without any consideration for the type of fabric. Some fabrics give and others don't. Not to mention a woman with hips can wear jeans smaller than I can, even if I'm much thinner or weigh less than she does, just because I don't have a booty or saddle bags, so my waist and hips don't have a big difference in measurement.

But, Sir Alabama, don't be afraid to measure yourself. What matters is that you're making progress, not that you're in the same size as you were in college. After all, by the time you reach your goals you'll probably look and lift way better than you did in college. (Not to mention your college jeans are out of style by now. Who knows how they measure up to modern brands!)

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Thanks for your input everyone!

Aaah! This is the bane of a woman's existence in modern America. I've had 3 completely different sizes of jeans fit me in the same shopping trip to American Eagle. I'm beginning to suspect that they just measure the pattern without any consideration for the type of fabric. Some fabrics give and others don't. Not to mention a woman with hips can wear jeans smaller than I can, even if I'm much thinner or weigh less than she does, just because I don't have a booty or saddle bags, so my waist and hips don't have a big difference in measurement.

But, Sir Alabama, don't be afraid to measure yourself. What matters is that you're making progress, not that you're in the same size as you were in college. After all, by the time you reach your goals you'll probably look and lift way better than you did in college. (Not to mention your college jeans are out of style by now. Who knows how they measure up to modern brands!)

Don't be afraid to measure myself? What type of implications are you trying to make Lydieboo. . . hehe. I just finished school last year, so I think my jeans are still in style :) But, do I look old enough in my profile picture to be out of style? If so, if anyone TRULY CARES ABOUT ME, please, please tell me, haha. Or lydieboo, if Levis 527s are out of style, please tell me, haha. Lord knows I wouldn't know.

I have pants that fit in every size from 7-13. Whenever I go shopping I usually try on at least 3 different sizes so I can figure out that particular store's sizing. I saw an infographic a while ago (no idea where, unfortunately) that had the sizing for women's pants at several different stores - there was a difference of about 10 or 12 inches between stores for sizes that were supposed to be the same size!