• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alethea

Alethea's Challenge

As I'm recovering from a 6 month recurring injury OF DOOM, this will be a light challenge for me.

Name: Alethea

Goals:

1. Food: Healthy eating, casually primal, careful attention to sugar. It's my weakness. Every day I have no extra sugar is a day I get a *. I want 21 *s.

2. Rehabilitation: of my foot, including any physiotherapy exercises recommended, and generally taking care of it.

3. Workouts: which will compliment my limited ability right now. It will start very slowly (this week I have nothing). By the end of the challenge I hope to work up to something respectable.

Life Goals:

4. Get OMFG v. 0.7 ready to roll out for the beginning of March.

5. Have a good attitude at work. Smiling and nodding while thinking evil thoughts does not count.

Team: No team.

Day 1:

1. 0/7 Fail, lots of sugar. I didn't think I was doing this challenge. :P

Breakfast: Hamburger patty, tomato slices, lettice, grilled broccoli with teeny bit of cheese, lemon and pine nuts.

Lunch: 3 cookies.

Dinner: tomato soup, salad, 1.5 sausages, 1/2 pita with spinach dip. Blanked on how to eat the spinach dip otherwise, and I REALLY wanted some.

Evening: 2 Rum and coke.

2. 1/7 walked with cast on about the house, paced for 10 minutes x 2 to build up endurance. Sore, but not unbearable.

3. 1/7 nada. Check!

4. 1/7 Worked for 20 minutes.

5. N/A. Off this week.

Thanks, Dawsy! It was a near thing. : P Sandman and Spezzy talked me into joining the challenge at 11pm last night.

I should be able to walk through my daily life (though no hour-long rambles through my provincial park just yet) by the 7th, and we'll go from there. : ) I'm thinking I can start doing some basic exercises the same week - my negative pullups, knee pushups, leg lifts, etc. Fingers crossed!

Thanks guys!

Day 2:

1. 0/7

Breakfast: sausage, romaine lettice with paleo ceasar dressing

Lunch: 3 cookies. Clearly I need to start eating a real lunch if I'm craving stuff.

Dinner: primal chilli, green beans and crushed almonds, 3 chinese dumplings.

Evening: tea with milk and vanilla flavoring.

2. 2/7 Foot was very sore today, stayed off it for the most part.

3. 2/7 None. Check!

4. 2/7 Attempting to workout out some progressions to go from beginner to master yoga poses. Druids needs more skills!

5. N/A. Off this week.

Good to see you're back for this challenge, even though you're not on a squad I'll still be stopping by :D

Go Druids!

I hope your recovery goes as quickly and painlessly as humanly possible, we're all rooting for you :D

Fabulous lunch indeed, but teh sugars!! I'm just glad to be off that horrible "nothing but water" goal from last challenge. Given a choice between alcohol or sugar, I'd rather cut the sugar. :P

Yay Lynny! Was so glad to see you joined the Druids where you belong. : )

Day 3:

Nutrition: *! I decided to get serious about the no sugar thing. This is not hard.

Breakfast: A bigass sausage and tomatos. It's just not the same as ketchup. *sigh*.

Lunch: tea, green beans with crushed almonds, garlic, pepper and butter, 3 chinese dumplings. Dumplings are so not paleo, but I blame Spezzy and ALR, who have put the thought of "dumplings" into my head for like 3 months now.

Dinner: chicken stirfry with broccoli, peppers and waterchestnuts over fresh spinach. Mmmmm, delicious.

After dinner: A shot of rum, neat. Ever since I stopped drinking pop regularly, I've discovered I can enjoy rum straight. Nothing can stop my drinking alcohol! ... that's... good, right?

2. 3/7 Did my physio exercises. Stretch and bend. Stretch and bend. *yawn*

3. 4/7 Workouts: nothing formal, though for some reason decided to randomly support my weight on my hands, pressing up from the chair I'm sitting in and hold it for 3x30 seconds. You can really feel it in your shoulders, arms, core and hips. Step 1 of achieving a planche! A very... small step. The good news: My foot didn't fall off or anything. I feel confident in doing 2, yes, 2 exercises tomorrow!

4. Nada. I think I want to change this goal, just because I don't want to leak what we're up to. I shall think about it and report back tomorrow.

5. n/a

Edited by Alethea

Day 4: Managed to drink my boyfriend under the table, which hasn't happened in a while. Amusingly, when pouring him into bed, he mumbled "You're good stock. If I was a viking I'd kidnap you in a minute. You could live off 1 meal a day, birth a whole passel of boychilds, and beat a wolf to death with your apron. You'd survive an apololypse and smile. You're sturdy, you."... I'm oddly flattered. Nerd drunken ramblings are the best kind of drunken ramblings.

Nutrition: *!!

Breakfast: Hamburger patty

Lunch: grande latte, sweet potato fries

Dinner: 2 cups of beer, indian curry chicken with onion, apple/tomato/cucumber salad with cilantro, a few tablespoons of chickpea somethingorother.

After Dinner: lotsa shots of rum and a couple cans of coke. Date night. What can I say.

2. 4/7 Physio excercises again, walked about a university campus, stopped when my foot gave a twinge. Revolutionary.

3. 5/7 Workout: did 3x20 knee pushups, 3x10 seconds top position chinup hang. again, no undue stress on foot. promising.

4. yeah, gonna change this to 60 minutes household maintanence / week. Been seriously leaning on the partner for the past month or so. Enough of that nonsense. That said, 20 minutes cleaning 2 bathrooms.

5. n/a

Edited by Alethea
the spelling is not up to my usual high standard of aweful

5. Have a good attitude at work. Smiling and nodding while thinking evil thoughts does not count.

Team: No team.

NOOOOO! How will I ever get by if the smile/nod/hate routine does not count?!?!?!?

Just kidding. I totally admire you for having this as a challenge. I am trying really hard to keep some positivity in the midst of a workplace full of chaos, finger-pointing, and CYA right now and I need to emulate this, big time. OMG. There's a v 0.7 coming? Yay!

I hope your recovery goes quickly and amazingly and the downtime gives you a chance to practice patience, self-acceptance, and all other yogi-esque virtues, which you already rock out.

Amusingly, when pouring him into bed, he mumbled "You're good stock. If I was a viking I'd kidnap you in a minute. You could live off 1 meal a day, birth a whole passel of boychilds, and beat a wolf to death with your apron. You'd survive an apololypse and smile. You're sturdy, you."... I'm oddly flattered. Nerd drunken ramblings are the best kind of drunken ramblings.

As I read that, all I could think was "That is so sweet."

Yeah, my partner is kind of awesome.

Day 5:

1. Nutrition: *

Breakfast: 2 overeasy eggs, 1 large sausage, 1/2 orange and 1/2 apple, 1 Tbsp ketchup

Lunch: a cup of string green beans, chopped almonds, garlic and olive oil. Almost done the leftovers. They're delicious, but beans are second-tier paleo. Not so great.

Snack: grande caffe vanilla latte.

Dinner: Big bowl of elk stew with onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, basil, and bay leaf. Mmmm, stew

2. 5/7 My physio ankle exercises. They're not making my foot twinge anymore, which is nice, and I feel I'm getting full range of motion. Top of my foot is still pins-and-needles tender to the touch.

3. 5/7.

Pullups: Greaseing that pullup groove again. Did several top-holds for 10 seconds, slow negative down throughout the day. Back is feeling it, but muscles aren't exhausted.

Fullbody Calisthetics: Did 20 reps each (per side, as applicable) of:

Toe touching (glutes, back, stretch)

Knee Raising (hips, quads)

Lateral Bending (sides of core, stretch)

Arm Circling, forward and back (shoulders, stretch)

Curls with torso straightening on top position (core, posture)

Chest and Leg Raising, laying on belly (back, glutes, hamstrings)

Side leg raising (outer quads, hips)

Knee pushups (chest, arms)

Front Leg Lifting (Quads, hips, hamstring stretching)

Walk for 10 minutes.

Hi muscles. Remember me? Not entirely happy about my performance (MAN I've lost strength), but so happy to work out some kinks. Foot wasn't happy about back leg lifts. I need to take my cast off for that - too much pressure, otherwise.

4. Went grocery shopping, cooked gigantor batch of elk stew, cleaned the kitchen.

5. N/A

It must be really demanding on yourself to push yourself to do all this while healing your foot. I think its great!!! and inspirational!!! Keep going cuz i think you're doing great!!!

Manu, the hardest part is not rebreaking my foot in my enthusiasm. : P Done it twice so far, which is how a simple broken foot turned into a 6 month ordeal! When I tell injured people to take it easy, I MEAN IT!

I know, Spezzy, but I swear to god, at one point I coulda matched you. So frustrating!!

Day 6:

Good day! Worked my little butt off at chores for a few hours, then rewarded myself by going to a Salsa Congress in the evening, then a restaurant for apps and a beverage. Got to watch some of the best salsa dancers in the world, which was AMAZING. Salsa isn't my dance of choice, but wholy crap, what a pleasure to watch. ALSO, got to see an honest-to-god fan dance from a random burlesque dancer. Wow.

1. Nutrition: *

Breakfast: bacon, eggs, an orange.

Lunch: Leftover elk stew with onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, basil, and bay leaf, and CABBAGE, which I forgot to mention yesterday. The cabbage is amazing, which I didn't expect. Definitely cooking that again.

Dinner: Wine pre-concert. A cosmopolitan and 1/2 an appetizer tray post-concert: 2 springrolls, 3 chicken drummettes, some strange mushroom pate balls, coleslaw and the best damn fish stick I've ever had in my life.

2. 6/7 My physio ankle exercises. Even threw in some foot circles to spice things up. I'm a wild thing, I am.

3. 6/7.

Pullups: intermittant, though couldn't progress beyond 10 second holds and I don't feel I'm making progress. I blame my extremely poor sleep the night before.

15 minute Fullbody Calisthetics: Same as yesterday. I'm going to hang out at this level for a few days until it starts to feel like more of a warmup and less like a light exercise routine.

20 minutes of stretching.

4. Made my partner breakfast in bed, did 3 load of laundry (and even folded them and put them away!), swept and scrubbed my kitchen and front entry floors.

5. N/A

Alethea, if you're having trouble with your Chin-Up holds, take a day. From what I can see, you've been doing them for at least the past three days. Give yourself one good day, and come back full force.

Also, you could start working the Pull-Up grip now that you've got a good base. That extra lat strength could really help.

Have you ever heard of the book Convict Conditioning, by the way?

Also, I'm glad you're foot is starting to show progress.

Likely a good idea, MBM. I shall lay off the pullups tomorrow. Today was useless. How do you mean, work on the Pull-up grip? I've mostly been doing pull-up position top hangs. Do you mean bottom hang to build grip strength?

Never heard of the book. Just looked at it now - it looks darn useful with awesome end goals, but all I can look at are chapter headings. Not a lot of meat there. What are your thoughts, and why do you ask? I like their progressions - since I can't do full-pushups and 20 knee pushups are getting easier, maybe I'll do my own special move: Close grip knee pushups!

My basic calisthenics was adapted from a fitness routine developed for the canadian air force in the 50's, chosen mainly because a) I can do most of the movements right now, and B) I like the idea of moving fullbody briefly every day with progressive improvement over time. The movement types and reps get impressively challenging at the higher levels but as it's an every-day activity, I'm not going to muscle exhaustion. It's a slow build up (I'm at level 30 right now of I think 70 levels total). End goal, I'm thinking my calisthenics (and associated working-to-improve activities like pullups or handstands) will be an every day thing right in the morning (stepping up difficulty to keep it light-moderate challenging), then once a week I'd go hard at strength, as per Primal Guidelines.

Day 7:

Lazy day, wandered around a flea market for a few hours, and my foot didn't twinge or ache once! Huzzah!

1. Nutrition:

Brunch: Chai tea, butter chicken, beef and peas, a few spoonfuls of rice and a chickpea dish of some sort.

Dinner: Baked chicken wrapped around asperagus, mozza cheese and basil, a big everything-in-the-fridge-that-might-go-bad salad.

Dessert: a small piece of icecream cake, a 1/2 finger of rum.

2. 7/7! Go go foot physio! I did them while laying flat on back, legs slightly raised off the floor for some extra core work.

3. 7/7

Pullups: Intermittant, again, swear I'm backsliding. Day off tomorrow. Rest, my muscles, rest.

Calisthenics: Felt good on first 3 reps of 20, so increased difficulty on most:

Toe touching: held arms above head for increased leverage

Knee Raising: Held legs out slightly instead of full bend

Lateral Bending: arms out straight from sides

Arm Circling, forward and back. Couldn't think of a harder BW progression. Will just increase reps, I guess.

Curls with torso straightening on top position: hands behind neck to increase upper body weight

Chest and Leg Raising, laying on belly (back, glutes, hamstrings): I'm still finding this a strain, but I will hold my arms at shoulder level instead of along my torso.

Side leg raising: Nada. Will increase reps until I can do side-plank with leg raises.

Knee pushups: Nothing, though will try close-grip knee pushups tomorrow

Front Leg Lifting: Not today, but tomorrow I will lift both legs at the same time.

*Added:* 1 minute knee plank.

Walk for 10 minutes.

4. Check! Hung pictures. Definitely past my 60 minutes of household goal.

5. N/A. I go back to work tomorrow. Was going nuts at home, but can't say I'm thrilled to be a wage-slave again. Ah well.

Edited by Alethea

I asked because the book has Progressions, including ones for One Armed Pull-Ups.

Progression Standards

1. Vertical Pulls: 3X40

2. Inverted Rows: 3X30

3. Jackknife Pull-Ups (Feet On Chair Supporting Yourself): 3X20

4. Half Pull-Ups (Just the top part, arms at 90 degrees to top and down): 2X15

5. Pull-Ups: 2X10

And I was asking about your grip because if you just use one, doing Negatives with the other could definitely benefit you.

*For the Push-Ups, think of the way you have been doing to get better at Pull-Ups... Negatives. Get in the Push-Up position and lower yourself as slowly as possible, push yourself back up after you get on your knees, and repeat.

Edited by MMyers
Push-Ups

Oh, I can DO pushups, I just can't do them with a still-healing broken foot. Putting too much pressure on the arch of my foot resulted in Break #3.

Thanks for the progression!

I had push up fail last night thanks to my bad shoulder. Got down felt a pop and coming back up couldn't happen. Seems like push ups are a great exercise expect that any form of injury can sabotage it.

I haven't looked at my last weeks numbers yet, but I believe I'm doing awesome except for too much sugar still (though getting better!). As I'm a child of extremes, foot is now down. Aside from this Monday (roommate #3's birthday, thus cake), no sugar for me until Valentines Day.

Day 8:

1. Nutrition: Ate my lunch for breakfast, had a giant latte to combat my horrible sub-6 hours of sleep/night for the past 3 days, bought a cookie to go along with the coffee, and had a much larger slice of cake than I planned at roomies birthday. Not my greatest day ever, but somehow the scale went down. I don't understand me sometimes.

Brunch: leftover 1/2 chicken breast wrapped around asperagus, mozza and crushed walnuts, salad.

Lunch: bigass vanilla latte and a wholegrain/honey/nut cookie of +1 deliciousness. Regular cookies are too sweet for me, i'm finding. This was perfect.

Dinner: Paleo taco salad

Dessert: a rather large slice of cake and icecream.

2. 1/7 In fact, after my first day at work and having to walk several blocks, my foot was very sore. No exercises, just tried to stay off it when I got home.

3. 1/7

Pullups: Day off.

Calisthenics: 20 reps of new difficulty level. I'm amused to see muscle tone increasing noticibly on what is a very light daily routine.

Walking: About 45 minutes at a good clip to pick up a birthday present. Foot did not thank me.

4. 0/60 min NIL.

5. 1/5: Attempted to project my cheerful self more at work and not dwell in negative nonsense. Makes a definite difference. I think my bosses are glad to have Happy Alethea back.

Edited by Alethea