• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Alethea

Alethea's Challenge

I hear you, Lynny. Pushups are awesome when they don't hurt you. When I was a kid my collorbone dislocated very easily, and have had rotator cuff issues ever since, which tend to get really aggrivated if I push too hard on the pushups. My current Arm Circles are an attempt to combat that.

Actually, yes. They're amazing. 20 forward, 20 back, can do each arm individually or both together. I haven't felt a single twinge on my (admittedly knee, for now, but did 36 of them last night) pushups since I started that.

Day 9:

1. Nutrition: *

Breakfast: the last 1/2 chicken breast wrapped around asperagus and mozza on salad.

Lunch: Gingerbeef and steamed veggies.

Snack: Celebratory Latte with a work friend who is abandoning me to go work her dream job. And thats the last latte for me for a while. Damn starbucks and it's rediculous prices!

Dinner: non-paleo meatloaf, anchovie broccoli (seriously? Anchovies?), salad with kiwi, grapes and orange.

Late night Snack: a banana in milk.

2. 2/7 Did my foot exercises. Foot is still unreasonably sore from the stupid walking the day before. Hrm.

3. 2/7 Upped the reps of my warmup to 25 min, 36 on pushups.

Did my pullup holds. I think I'm pushing too fast for progress, given the daily thing is supposed to be 50% of your max or so. Need to play with it.

4. 30/60 min. Household Stuff: Filled out some forms for the partner, handled some car insurance stuff, decided on my Charity of the Month. As a temporary cripple, my sympathy is with Operation Eyesight. Cut them a cheque and mailed it.

5. Stayed late to finish some stuff, wished Boss #1 goodnight, got a smile back. Success.

Edited by Alethea

Before. They're a warm-up and muscle stretch that hits your entire shoulder girdle.

Day 10:

1. 2/7 Nutrition: Roommate bought nanaimo bars, knowing they were my favorite. Arg, I hate it when people try to be nice in destructive ways. Thanked him profousely, didn't touch the bars. Win. *

Breakfast: microwaved eggs and cheese, banana

Lunch: Elk Stew Of +1 Deliciousness. I love leftovers.

Snack: Coffee and cream, a piece of toast with cream cheese. Mmmm, decadent.

Dinner: stuffed pork loin with salad, spagetti squash in marinara, and mashed chipotle sweet potato. Went with the "fill half a plate with salad, meat takes 1/4, leaving 1/4 plate for slightly-less-healthy stuff" method of attack. Delicious.

2. 3/7 Foot exercises. Less sore than it was yesterday, thankfully. I was getting worried I overdid it and hurt things. Still taking it very easy.

3. 3/7 Pullup holds. Bumped down to 7 second holds, since I think I was going too hard at 10. Could do a few sets throughout the evening without any sign of muscle fatigue, so I think that was a good decision, dissapointing as it is.

Did min 25 reps of my warmup routine, 36 situps and pushups, but somehow managed to completely miss an exercise. It's a goody, too. Lay on your back, arms stretched out. Lift 1 leg straight up, then cross it across your body and try to touch your opposite hand, x25. So much fun. Was dissapointed, but I realized it at midnight and exercise right before bed tends to wire me right up.

4. 30/60 min. Nothing last night. Tried to run valentines-related errands, but all the stores were closed. Stupid mom-and-pop stores. How about you open at 11 am, skip the 3 hours when everyone is working and stay open until 8 so people can actually GET there? Will attempt again on Friday.

5. 3/5 Spent my lunch hour standing in a registry office for Boss #3. He bought me coffee in thanks. Win.

Edited by Alethea
honesty. Missed exercise.

Stupid mom-and-pop stores. How about you open at 11 am, skip the 3 hours when everyone is working and stay open until 8 so people can actually GET there?

I don't get that either. There's a lot of shops here that are only open from 9-5. Seriously?!

Today my wind gave out. Been getting 5 hours or less of sleep all week, just haven't been tired until FAR past my bedtime regardless of how tired I was for 90% of the day. Got home today, sat on my couch to read, fell asleep for 3 hours. Now THAT is a nap. And now it's 2am. Hrm.

1. Nutrition: 3/7 *

Breakfast: Microwaved eggs and cheese, a kiwi.

Lunch: Elk stew, salad

Snack: tea with milk, almonds and pine nuts

Dinner: 2 small slices of pizza. Not even good pizza. Just didn't want to cook.

2. 4/7 Foot exercises. Its still tender where the breaks were, still twinges a bit sometimes, but my doctor says it's probably okay. I get to take the cast off at home for a little while a day to build up strength. Woot!

3. 4/7 almost didn't do this, just fit it in at 1am. Can't sleep anyway, so meh!

calisthenics, pullup holds. Managed to pull myself up a sigificant way as a test, though still far from chinning the bar. Weird how it hits your abs, eh?

Stretched a bit. Unsatisfactory level of bendiness. My complete and utter dislike of all things flexibility due to being able to do pretty much nothing but stretch for months has finally faded. I know what I'm adding to my routine!

4. 30/60. Slacking on this one. I'm sure laundry and cleaning my room this weekend will MORE than make up for it.

5. 4/5 Caught myself at several negative thoughts today. As I said, behavior is only half the battle, the other half is mental. I do LIKE my job, I've worked way worse for less pay, and whatever hangups my bosses have, they are good people. I'm glad I'm noticing my negative thoughts, and will work to change them.

Noticing our internal dialog is the best way to change it. Don't forget though, the more positive we become the more we notice the small negative things. Don't let this lead to beating yourself up.

Edited by LynnyLee
spelling

True enough. Not beating myself up, I'm just happy that they're standing out to me. Less an intrinsic part, and more something to notice, if that makes sense?

Day 12:

1. Nutrition: 4/7 *

Breakfast: A banana

Lunch: Elk stew

Snack: almonds and pine nuts

Dinner: two poor dinners in a row. Deep-fried wontons, egg rolls, big salad.

2. 5/7 Foot exercises. Plan to progress to slightly more advanced foot exercises, with an exercise band for resistance. I'm a walker soon, you know!

3. 4/7 Awww, broke the chain. Didn't do this today. Don't even have a good excuse. I had time, and didn't.

4. 30/60. Nope. Spent the evening shopping for valentines. Managed to get to the stores before they closed this time.

5. 5/5 Was actually HAPPY at job today, without having to work at it. Cheerfully stayed after work a bit because I wanted to finish a project properly. Thats pretty cool.

Edited by Alethea
forgot the day, aparently

Day 13:

Only had to put my cast on toward the end of the day. Otherwise, wandered freely about my house and even went for coffee with my mum. She is LOVING tai chi. This is a woman who had to push herself with both hands to stand up from a chair and didn't expect to live 5 years longer (arthritis and chrones have done a number on her), and she now cheerfully does 90 degree squats for fun when telling me how good she's feeling, and pondering teaching certification. Tai Chi - miracle exercise.

Nutrition:*

Brunch: eggs and an orange

Snack: Coffee, handful o' almonds.

Dinner: Partner invented a meal - porkchops in onion/green pepper/apple puree sauce, with fried portabelo mushrooms with lemon. Was incredibly saucy (and all the veggies in the sauce), so had it with a bit of rice. So good.

Snack: A few doritos chips (3. They're just not good) and a few fingers of rum.

6/7 Foot exercises. Walked very carefully about my house, did foot circles. I'm putting as little strain as possible on my foot arch, which means I'm hitting pretty heavily with my heel, which is sorta uncomfortable, but there we are. Foot got fatigued toward end of the day, so back in cast. Most promising.

3. 5/7 calisthenics, pullups. Still at 7 seconds, slowed my negative down even more so it takes me around 5 seconds to get down.

4. 30/60. Slaaaacker.

5. N/A. COMPLETE.

I know, Spezzy, but I swear to god, at one point I coulda matched you. So frustrating!!

as soon as your foot is completely healed im sure youre going to regain strength quickly and give me a run for my money.

i'm counting on it :)

arm circles are pretty awesome, also rotational exercises help a lot, this one was given to me by PT when i hurt my shoulder and its really helped:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/free_weights/external_rotation.php

Thats a good one. Another one if you want to fiddle with weights is to hold your elbow out at shoulder level, hold weight in your hand, and rotate hand vertical up to vertical down, and back (or to horozontal, if straight down doesn't work for you).

Day 13:

Woke up, cooked breakfast, wandered about house without cast, read, played video games, did chores, did calisthenics (I can't really call it a workout), cooked dinner, cleaned up, read some more, went to bed. A perfect sunday.

Nutrition:

Brunch: fried eggs, fried cabbage and onion, coffee. Mmmm.

Snack: Cupcake that my roommate #3's girlfriend brought over. It was really good. Nice and dense, little chocolate chips in it. Sent me off into a sugar craving for the rest of the day, which was frustrating. I really can't handle sugar well at all, addictive little wench that I am.

Dinner: Heh. Made a chicken ginger l'orange du char with salad. When they say simmer for 30 minutes, they don't mean just set the timer and wander off. managed to salvage enough to make a meal, at least.

Midnight Snack: 2 toasts with margarine, some cheese, tea. Figured it was better than sugar. Sugar = empty calories and badness. Grains = some nutrition and badness.

7/7 COMPLETE Foot exercises. Walked very carefully about my house, did foot stretches, started doing exercise-band exercises to build up strength in arch of foot. Made it sore, but not exessively. Continues to be sore-ish the day after, so overdid it slightly.

3. 6/7 calisthenics, pullups. Increased holds to 8 seconds without straining. Enjoying the calisthenics. Taking it as an opportunity to fix muscle imbalances and make sure I'm aligned correctly and using the right muscles for, for instance, side-leg lifts, and it's so quick I have no excuse to miss it. curious how adding harder strength routines twice a week will affect things.

4. 60/60 COMPETE Every time I thought of blowing off chores, I heard "slaaaacker" echoing in my head. Shutup, me! Swept the floor, cleaned the kitchen, did laundry (except need to fold last load).

5. N/A. COMPLETE.

Day 14:

Valentines Day = one of my favorite days of the year. I don't go in for the commercial stuff, but a day to do your favorite things with your favorite people? Sign me up.

1. Nutrition:

So I'm trying this thing where I actually eat more food. See how it goes. Today was... off to a good start.

Breakfast: eggs, leftover fried cabbage, onion and grated carrot.

Lunch: spagetti squash in marinara, shrimp salad.

Snack: Tea with milk and sugar.

Dinner: If you haven't figured it out yet, good food and wine is only slightly behind my Partner in my affections. He fortunately shares the same mistress. Lessee.

A piece of cracked-grain bread and butter.

A mussel and a manhattan.

Beef broth with mushrooms, fois gras and truffle, and some wine.

Bass, scallop, a ravioli and some wine.

Tenderloin, grilled sweet potato, potato puree and some wine.

Chocolate tart with rosewater gelato, strawberries and some wine.

Lets just say I could have booked a very nice hotel for the cost of that meal, and I regret nothing.

2. Foot Exercises: 1/7. Done, and wore high heels to dinner. Took it carefully, and managed it aside from a twinge here and there. I'm starting to believe I might actually be 100% at some point.

3. Strength: 1/7. I get extra special bonus points, because I did my pullup holds and calisthenics in a rush before getting ready for dinner. Go me. I wish I took measurements because to my great surprise I think I'm getting smaller doing these. Huzzah.

4. Chores: 0/60.

5. 1/5 Restrained instinct to twitch and managed to laugh off a thing that woulda driven me nuts otherwise. When this becomes automatic reflex, I will have won.

In other news, ow my head.

Edited by Alethea
mussel, not muscle.

Day 15: Today was a slack day for no good reason. Mainly tired and lazy.

Nutrition:

Breakfast: eggs and cabbage/onion/carrot, coffee

Lunch: 6" sandwich but took off the top bun because it was rediculously thick and I had 10 minutes to eat. No time to chew bread! some more cold-cut slices and cheese, tomato soup.

Snack: tea

Dinner: pork-and-apple fajita salad with grated cheese, tomato and salsa with ceasar salad on the side. Yes. 2 salads. Don't judge me.

After dinner: Was still hungry, too lazy to make something, 2 raisen cookies and a bite of chocolate.

2. Foot Exercises. 1/7 Nope. today was a rest day for my foot.

3. Other Exercises: 1/7 Again, nope. No excuse on this one. Coulda, didnt.

4. Chores: 0/60.

5. Work 2/5. Adorned a meeting room for 3 hours with almost nothing to do. Felt okay about it.

Dinner: pork-and-apple fajita salad with grated cheese, tomato and salsa with ceasar salad on the side. Yes. 2 salads. Don't judge me.

When I've gone out to eat, and I've noticed that you can get a "salad" as a side item at a place that gives you 2 sides, I usually get 2 salads.

Nice, Kahn. I'll have to keep that in mind!

Day 16:

1. Nutrition: Today I set out with the goal to eat a lot of food with a minimal amount of sugar (just to see what happens), on a day where I didn't bring lunch or breakfast but DID scrounge the outskirts of a few big meetings. It wasn't paleo, but mission accomplished.

Breakfast: Savory scone, a pancake, sausages, bacon, eggs, coffee with cream

Lunch: lasagna, plate o' fruit, garlic toast, one of those little carrot cake squares

Snack: Warm milk

Dinner: bowl o' chilli, a cheese bread wedge thing.

2. 2/7 using my exercise bands didn't make my foot twinge, and the tenderness on the top of the foot is almost gone. Walked a lot of stairs today running stuff to meetings.

3. 2/7 Stepped up difficulty again. Down to 20 reps of everything, except pullups negs, of course, where I'm sitting at a solid 9-count-with-a-bit-of-strain. Dear upper body. Thank you for improving, but faster would be nice. Wanted to go swimming tonight (thus the food), but ye olde partner has yet to come home with my car. *shake fist*

4. 20/60. Folded my clothes.

5. 3/5 had better days, but consciously tried, so I get props.

Nice work on the sugar-free day. I tried doing that a coupe of years ago and it made me realise how much sugar there is in everything! Is it wrong that I'm craving pancakes, sausages, bacon, eggs, coffee with cream now? Yum!

Craving pancakes, sausages, bacon, eggs, and coffee with cream is never wrong. NEVER.

Day 17:

Nutrition: Yet another big-eats day. I'm trying to get in the habit, since 1200 calorie days don't really go with the level of activity I want to do. I am sucking at staying away from sugar. At least it was delicious sugar?

Breakfast: cheese wrapped in turkey slices, eggs, coffee

Lunch: porkchops in onion/tomato puree with fried mushrooms, salad, asperagus

Snack: chocolate cake with banana. I was told it was "the best cake in the history of man. All other cakes aspire to be this cake, and none ever will reach it's heights". After an intro like that, how do I refuse? They wern't wrong. It was pretty damn good.

Dinner: tuna, tomato, pasta with cheese.

2. 3/7 Ankle rolls and flexes, and did... I know theres a word for this, and totally blanking. Standing heel raises? Is that a thing? Most of my weight was on good foot, but could put pressure on other arch without pain, which is excellent.

3. 3/7 Calisthenics except oblique stuff since I overdid it a little yesterday and they're sore, which is not what I'm going for atm. Pullup negs. Actually went to the pool yesterday... to discover they were closed. Foiled again! Curse you, poooooooool!

4. 20/60. Nada.

5. 4/5. ah, 12 people from out of town, plus my 3, and I kept everything going smoothly. Win.

Would you believe I haven't been updating my thread because I haven't really been following many people this month and I felt guilty? Not only is that silly, it doesn't even make sense. Be assured, I am still here and plugging away!

Days 18 - 25:

1. Nutrition: Been higher in the carbs than normal (I even had sandwiches on several days!), but still keeping the sugar at a "less" amount, though haven't been able to cut it out entirely.

2. Am out of cast!!! Walking to train and about office and home daily, but muscles/tendons still have a lot of recovery to go before I can walk pain free. Haven't been doing exercises as my ankle/foot is plenty sore at the end of the day and I don't want to aggrivate it further.

3. Daily calisthenics - Missed 3 days, kept up the rest, including pullup holds. Not making appreciable progress in pullups, but doing 50 curls/oblique twists, and 30 knee divebombers a day. I'm doing 3x1min full planks to build up foot-arch strength in plank position, and hope to do full pushups in a week or two.

4. I've been getting better, but still slacking. There is laundry that has needed to be done all week. Tsk tsk.

5. I think I need to find a new job. :P Still trying, some days better than others.

Overall: Overall I've slipped a bit this past week, but still doing pretty good, and making positive changes. I'd like to have a nice, strong finish for this challenge.

Day 25:

1. Nutrition: Breakfast sandwich

tandori chicken, beef with peas, some sort of chickpea thing

shrimp, proscutto wrapped chicken with asperagus and mushroom, raw veggies and dip

2. My foot can't flex and hold my full weight, which is making walking somewhat challenging. It hurts and is kinda swollen, but it's not a bone pain so I am carefully pushing on, and progress is being made.

3. Did my calisthenics and played on my pullup bar. Seem to have topped out at 35 non-forcing knee pushups. Booo.

4. Fail

5. Fine, and thus ends my 4 weeks of practicing a positive attitude. I have learned to appreciate certain aspects of my job, but I don't think I'll ever like all of it. The day I figure out what I want to be when I grow up, I will be out of here so fast I'll leave skid marks.

Day 26:

1. Nutrition:

Poached eggs on toast, 2 kiwis

a small bowl of cheddar chips

beef stroganoff with spinach and broccoli on noodles, 2 generous rum and cokes

2. Walked about for probably 30 minutes total, did some calf raises, practiced standing normally instead of alighnment being all wonky (due to cast for so long). Still not good.

3. In the morning I did my calisthenics including 40 situps-with-twist and 30 knee pushups. Added a 1 minute full plank, and continued with my crappy ass pullup practice. No progress there. Later in the day I decided to do a bit more of a workout while I waited for my noodle water to boil, so did

20 90degree squats (I finally figured out how to do squats properly!!)

5 full pushups

10 lunges-holding-counter

pullup negatives until fail

1min full plank

x3

then stretched for 10 minutes.

4. Chores continue to suck, but I did a bit of cleaning and tidying and organizing. Once I complete the Laundry of Doom I'll be over my hour.

5. n/a

Later in the day I decided to do a bit more of a workout while I waited for my noodle water to boil, so did

20 90degree squats (I finally figured out how to do squats properly!!)

Woot for well done squats!

Day 28 Because I Messed Up On My Numbering Before, And Didn't Actually Skip a Day

1. Nutrition:

pancakes

Slow-cooked roast beef, onion, turnip, kale, carrot, celery, mushroom, garlic, whateverelsewashandy

A rum. Nuts to coke. Mmm, rum.

2. Foot was hurting like a very hurty thing - shooting pains and nonsense. Sigh. Sat still, didn't do much beyond quick grocery shopping and cooking.

3. 30 minutes stretching. While I wasn't hurting from the day before, was kinda stiff-ish, so figured I'd take the excuse to rest and laze about.

4. Laundry! It is done! Goal complete.

5. n/a