Joe Freedom's Challenge IV: The Quest for Strength

Joe Freedom

Moved Thursday's workout to this morning to accommodate my buddy's schedule, and gonna do Friday's workout tomorrow morning.

Warmup - Bike

Dumbell Bench Press

10x 30 lb bells

8x 45 lb bells

5x 75 lb bells

5x 80 lb bells

5x 90 lb bells

5x 100 lb bells - Yea this is a PR out of nowhere, I have no idea why I was able to do these today... just felt great. Could've done more probably but wanted to save some energy for squats. Also, it's awkward/dangerous lifting up those large bells into position, and didn't want to force anything.

Squats - Attempted front squats but couldn't figure out the grip or correct form, will be researching this and trying later. Quads were annihilated still from Monday's deep lunge workout, so kept it lighter

10x 45 lbs

5x 135 lbs

5x 225

1x 275 - Went deep and almost didn't make it back up :) This is when my quads told me they were still on the mend

4x 225

5x 225

Tomorrow gonna do bent over rows and power cleans, as well as some insane core yoga workout thing that my wife and friends have done at the gym. Apparently it makes you want to die, so it should be awesome!

Another week, here we go. Spent the weekend doing some housework, including cutting and installing crown moulding... takes a hell of a long time and took up most of my time. Good times though :)

This morning, got back into it -

Warmup

Few minutes on the bike

Push Press (overhead barbell)

10 x 45 lbs

5 x 95 lbs

5 x 135 lbs.. holy crap I realize this one of the hardest lifts out there

4 x 135 lbs

5 x 115 lbs

Lunges (each leg)

8 x 50 lbs

8 x 80 lbs

8 x 130 lbs

8 x 130 lbs

8 x 130 lbs

8 x 120 lbs

Cable Crossovers

10 x 105 lbs

8 x 150 lbs

5 x 210 lbs

5 x 265 lbs

5 x 265 lbs

5 x 265 lbs

Planks

30 seconds - uber low

60 seconds

60 seconds

Gym in tha morning, did not go as well as I'd hoped though.

Warmup

Bike for a few mins

Pullups

10 x BW (206) - 50 lbs

5 x BW

5 x BW

5 x BW

5 x BW

5 x BW

Deadlifts - Ok my right arm's tendon at the elbow started getting inflamed, think it was due to the pullups. Last Tuesday I had done deadlifts first and this problem didn't show itself, but I remember my arm feeling tight after I left the gym last week. Well, it made deadlifts incredibly painful and I could only get one real set before it hurt too much.

10 x 45 lbs

5 x 135 lbs

5 x 225 lbs

5 x 325 lbs - Had to stop.

I plan on going back to the gym this evening and finishing these out. I may do some more pullups (afterwards) too - want to get that tendon strong! Just don't think it's used to so many pullups, as I don't do any pure bicep exercises.

I plan on going back to the gym this evening and finishing these out. I may do some more pullups (afterwards) too - want to get that tendon strong! Just don't think it's used to so many pullups, as I don't do any pure bicep exercises.

*smack* And I mean that in the best possible way. You're not going to get stronger by blowing the tendon. If it's not strong enough, you work and then you REST and REPAIR. You DO NOT OVERLOAD to exhaustion and then beat it up again! You're just going to do two things: trash the tendon and groove into your brain that the elbow needs to be protected because it's not strong enough. Mechanically, that means you'll start compensating through your muscle patterning and firing sequences so that you DON'T stress the tendons. Which, technically, will put huge amounts of load onto muscles not made for the job.

I'm not saying to baby it and wrap it in bubblewrap... but if you've worked it to the point where there's inflammation you've DAMAGED IT. Don't be a twit. *hugs*

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

Well I've felt that weird tightness before, especially after working my biceps after a long period of not. Actually I've had the same thing happen when I've slept with my arm curled up, too... like an annoying tightness that doesn't go away for a few minutes. Almost as if I didn't stretch enough before lifting something heavy, but it definitely goes away when not working it out. I guess I'll proceed with caution and take it easy.. just to be safe :D

I just seriously hate not lifting what I'm capable of doing :(

Cacophony's right for smacking you down! I'd do it too, but I don't want to get in the way ;) Sounds like you should get some sleep, and relax a bit. Inflamed tendons are not good...and you don't want to purposefully injure yourself. Maybe get a massage? Or go see one of these people. Trust me, they do good work...no issues with my elbow/carpal tunnel syndrome at all after I had it done...

Woot, thanks for the concern and advice! Feeling just fine today, thankfully.. and am gonna take it easy on the pulling exercises for now and keep an eye out. I'm gonna try to change up my grip a little bit to see if that helps, but it looks like the problem is simply too much weight for my tendon to handle. I can't attribute it to overuse, but I know with my deadlifting and sudden two weeks of fron-facing grip pullups that I'm challenging my muscles fully but the stuff holding it all together isn't prepared for that yet. Will be hitting up the gym tomorrow morning for some benching and squats!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines