• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Amelia

Looking for person(s) to keep me in check!

I coppied this from where I had it before. I think this is the right place for it. If not, I'll find out Im sure

GOALS:

1. Diet

a) First, I will NOT skip breakfast no matter how in a hurry I am

B) Second, I will bring a (somewhat) nutritious lunch with me to work

c) Third and most important, ZERO fast food during the week

2. Fitness

a) Go to the gym everyday after work (even if its just 30-45 minutes on the treadmill)

B) Weight training with a full body routine 3 times a week

c) Remain active on days off (outside of the gym)

3. Life

a) Take concrete steps to enroll in prereqs for spring quarter at SSCC (South Seattle Community College)

B) Continue learning to cook better (all I ask is that I dont get worse...)

c) Drink more water

4. Miscellaneous

a) Limit beer/alcohaul intake (yes it is the holidays and they just legalized pot in my state, but routine will win this race)

B) Limit fast food to 3 meals per weekend (Old habbits die hard, I'm not going to lie)

c) Make more time for people in my life no matter how hectic things get

So there it is in a nutshell, I can definatly start them now. Wish me luck, I think I'll need it

Cheers to all of us,

-Ben

Definitely starting on the 1st, for the same reasons! Still gives me a week to finish all of this chocolate I got over Christmas ... just kidding... ;)

Porkchop - seems like good goals to me, but IMHO, that also seems like a lot. Not saying you shouldn't work on all of them but instead of having 3 goals for each category, maybe just pick one (a, b or c) for each to focus on specifically for the challenge?

Since we're on the topic, here are my goals:

Fitness

1. Improve on break falls (ninjutsu)

- practice, practice, practice.

2. Work out at least 3 times a week

- Plan for this at this point is Ninjutsu Saturdays, bodyweight circuits + running on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Diet

3. Get down to about 18 - 20% body fat. (I'm somewhere around 23 - 24% right now, so don't need to shed too much)

- going primal ... maybe paleo.

Life goal

4. Get my marks up to an 85% average this semester

PS. GOOD LUCK.

Edited by littlewings

Sounds like people have pretty good goals.

Mine are:

Fitness:

43 sit-ups in 2 minutes

13 push-ups in 2 minutes

Diet:

Lose between 6 - 10 pounds

Life:

Pass the computerized practice ASVAB

I think it all seems fairly reasonable. I've passed the student version of the ASVAB when I was 16 or 17, so it's just a matter of re familiarizing myself with the material. the weight loss shouldn't be difficult if I'm doing the exercise and watching my portion sizes since one two separate occasions when I've spent a month or so eating healthy and exercising, I dropped about 10 pounds. I've already cut junk food from my diet, but candy is a different story... I really like my candies and chocolates.

I'm down. I just became a rebel today. Even did my first workout this afternoon. I really need the accountability to keep myself motivated so this would be great.

That's the spirit!

Depending on how I feel after kickboxing tomorrow, I might try this...

As for tonight, I just ate the last slice of Christmas cake and I've decided to ignore the chocolate as a whole... paleo/primal starts now. :] I'll make up a blog soon.

Amelia, your confidence is contagous! Those are some nice looking shoes btw. If this were summer, my reward to myself would be getting a motorcycle endorsement on my licence. Being winter though, Im going to keep it indoors and buy an electric bass/amp. Can't wait! I was going to treat myself to Soundgarden tickets but they play too soon for this challenges' reward. The $125 a ticket didnt help either :/

I already bought some minimalist shoes! I feel naughty lol. But I already have a different reward in mind. My sister plays the bass!...kinda. I'm sure you could save up money for a concert in 6 weeks, especially if you plan on cutting down on fast food! Reward yourself with something you will really love; if you succeed in your challenge you will deserve it.

for keeping track of things, I'm using my Fitness Pal and Fitocracy... My Fitness Pal is the nicest for tracking calories and weight, but I think Fitocracy is a bit nicer for tracking my actual work outs. What about the rest of you?

I don't use any of those. Well I dl the my fitness pal app but never got around to using it. >_< I've never tried fitocracy. I think I failed with my fitness pal because there was no accountability. I think that is what attracted me to nerd fitness; there is accountability and support here and the idea of leveling up and earning points is intriguing, even though I haven't done any serious gaming in a while. As far as keeping track of my progress, I plan to log/journal on the challenge thread and my personal log at least every other day once we start the challenge. I will also post "reviews" to compare weight, measurements, strength, and speed at the end of every six week challenge.

I just had to share this with you guys, I'm thinking of trying to incorporate it into my 20 minutes of fitness a day.

http://tribesports.com/blog/the-12-days-of-fitness

Someone else mentioned something similar as a bonus challenge, but I think this particular incarnation will suit me better.

I'm not sure I could even survive the 1 minute plank ha! Do you plan to incorporate one by one each day or just do them all right off the bat?

I've been eating really poorly these past few days. I plan to start on the 1st also, unless of course I'm too hung over from the night before. But that shouldn't stop me from working on my goals. So, the 1st it is!

Here's what I plan to work on for this challenge:

Goal ONE:

What is my target?

Cook/plan meals every Sunday and Wednesday for 7 weeks

How am I going to reach my target? (List the actions that are required to reach my target)

1. Every Sunday and Wednesday night I will plan 3 meals/day for the next 3-4 days

2. Write planned meals in weekly planner

3. Make list and go grocery shopping on Wednesdays

4. Plan only one take out/restaurant meal per week

What are the milestones for reaching my target? (List smaller goals within your larger goal)

1 Planning/cooking meals for 1,2,3,4,5,6, & 7 weeks straight

Goal TWO:

What is my target?

Cook/eat 20 out 21 paleo meals/week for 7 weeks

How am I going to reach my target? (List the actions that are required to reach my target)

1. Plan meals.

2. Eat protein (4-6 oz.), vegetables (2 cups), and a bit of fat (about 1 tbsp) with every meal.

3. Eliminate added sugars of any kind, alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, and white potatoes

4. Eat 1 serving of fruit max

5. Drink only water or tea (I do this anyways so this part is easy)

What are the milestones for reaching my target? (List smaller goals within your larger goal)

1. Go 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 weeks straight making, eating 20/21 paleo meals per week

Goal THREE:

What is my target?

Exercise 30-60 minutes, 5-6 days/week for 7 weeks.

1. Wake up every day at 8:00 a.m., drink green tea, and exercise for 30-60 minutes, Monday-Friday/Saturday

2. Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Strength Training

3. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: Cardio (1-2 laps around golf course)

1. Follow exercise plan for 1,2,3,4,5,6,& 7 weeks straight

What reward will I give myself for reaching my target?

Goal FOUR:

What is my target?

Spend 2 hours/day, 7 days/week, playing/learning with Eva for 7 weeks.

1. On Sundays, plan activities I will do with Eva the following week.

2. Spend 1 hour after breakfast (~9:00-10:00 a.m.) and one hour before bath (~8:00-9:00 p.m.) playing/learning with Eva everyday.

1. Go 1,2,3,4,5,6, & 7 weeks straight playing/ learning with Eva everyday

What reward will I give myself for reaching my targets?

Um, I already bought some minimalist running shoes (they were 50% off, I couldn’t resist!). So, my new reward when I complete my first Six Week Challenge (and succeeding!) will be $150 worth of workout gear from here!

Attribute Points Distribution (15 total)

• Strength (STR) – 2.5

• Dexterity (DEX) - 2

• Stamina (STA) – 2.5

• Constitution (CON) – 3

• Wisdom (WIS) – 3.5

• Charisma (CHA)-1.5

Goal Attributes Assigned

ONE WIS: 2

TWO CON: 3

THREE STR: 2.5, DEX: 2, STA: 2.5

FOUR WIS: 1.5, CHA: 1.5

Edited by Amelia

I already bought some minimalist shoes! I feel naughty lol. But I already have a different reward in mind. My sister plays the bass!...kinda. I'm sure you could save up money for a concert in 6 weeks, especially if you plan on cutting down on fast food! Reward yourself with something you will really love; if you succeed in your challenge you will deserve it.

Ya know, A. You make a really good point. The concert is before the challenge ends so I may just end up going IF I can find other people that want to shell out the $. I think being an 80's baby makes me want to see them in concert years after their high water mark lol. Im thinking the bass/amp will do nicely for the reward this time around anyway. Its been a while since I played at length, but I want to practice and get better. For me, good habbits beget good habbits. Good on you for breaking down your schedule and goals. I wish I could be that organized and clear, you're going to do great for sure.

Definitely starting on the 1st, for the same reasons! Still gives me a week to finish all of this chocolate I got over Christmas ... just kidding... ;)

Porkchop - seems like good goals to me, but IMHO, that also seems like a lot. Not saying you shouldn't work on all of them but instead of having 3 goals for each category, maybe just pick one (a, b or c) for each to focus on specifically for the challenge?

Since we're on the topic, here are my goals:

Fitness

1. Improve on break falls (ninjutsu)

- practice, practice, practice.

2. Work out at least 3 times a week

- Plan for this at this point is Ninjutsu Saturdays, bodyweight circuits + running on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Diet

3. Get down to about 18 - 20% body fat. (I'm somewhere around 23 - 24% right now, so don't need to shed too much)

- going primal ... maybe paleo.

Life goal

4. Get my marks up to an 85% average this semester

PS. GOOD LUCK.

Good and smart goals here, Littlewings (thats the name of one of my favorite songs). Yea Im slowly weaning myself off my current "shoot from the hip"diet. I can already tell thats going to be the hardest part of this whole thing. For eating paleo/primal and avoiding fast food, getting a crock pot is a really good idea. You can google lots of recipes and if you're busy, you can put the ingredients into it in the morning, and when you get home, its ready. Good luck to you as well.

Sounds like people have pretty good goals.

Mine are:

Fitness:

43 sit-ups in 2 minutes

13 push-ups in 2 minutes

Diet:

Lose between 6 - 10 pounds

Life:

Pass the computerized practice ASVAB

I think it all seems fairly reasonable. I've passed the student version of the ASVAB when I was 16 or 17, so it's just a matter of re familiarizing myself with the material. the weight loss shouldn't be difficult if I'm doing the exercise and watching my portion sizes since one two separate occasions when I've spent a month or so eating healthy and exercising, I dropped about 10 pounds. I've already cut junk food from my diet, but candy is a different story... I really like my candies and chocolates.

Those look like some healthy goals Space. Speaking as someone who just took a placement test many years after any formal schooling, you'll be surprised at what you remember (and what you forget). I hope I have as much success as you cutting out the junk food from my diet. If you like dark chocolate, Ive heard there are health benefits associated with it. If you google Stew Smith, he has some very good programs from beginner to advanced. Lots of bodyweight excercises and callisthenics. ASVAB? What MOS are you going for just out of curriosity? Good luck, I bet you'll knock it out

Her's a quick goal list for me. Just so I have it written down. I'll go into more depth when I have a few extra mins.

Goal 1: Work out at least 3 times a week (though I'm aiming for 5)

Gosl 2: Cut out chips all together. I managed doing that with pop last year. Haven't had any at all since jan 1. I think I can go six weeks without any.

Goal 3: Try making one new paleo meal each week. I'll be eating healthier overall, but I'm trying to become better at cooking.

Goal 4: Get my license. My g1 expired in August so I have to kind of start over. As a 26 yr old I think it's time I got around to it. I want to at least have my driving test book before the end of the challenge, the test date can be outside of that if they don't have any earlier test dates. I'll have to get in a few lessons with a driving instructor in the mean time.

Again, I'll do more of a break down in the days to come. Don't want to set them in stone until I know the changes they're planning.

Good and smart goals here, Littlewings (thats the name of one of my favorite songs). Yea Im slowly weaning myself off my current "shoot from the hip"diet. I can already tell thats going to be the hardest part of this whole thing. For eating paleo/primal and avoiding fast food, getting a crock pot is a really good idea. You can google lots of recipes and if you're busy, you can put the ingredients into it in the morning, and when you get home, its ready. Good luck to you as well.

Soon as you mentioned it was a song, I went to youtube it. What's the artist? Also just out of curiosity, what's the concert you were hoping to get the tickets for?

And yeah the diet is going to be my biggest challenge ... and yeah I was thinking about a crockpot too! There's a load of crockpot recipes on www.paleomg.com which seem tasty, so I may have to invest in one. I'm so excited to go back to school so I can do my own groceries again... and to toss out the chips and boxes of instamash still hiding in my cupboard...

Goal 4: Get my license. My g1 expired in August so I have to kind of start over. As a 26 yr old I think it's time I got around to it. I want to at least have my driving test book before the end of the challenge, the test date can be outside of that if they don't have any earlier test dates. I'll have to get in a few lessons with a driving instructor in the mean time.

Again, I'll do more of a break down in the days to come. Don't want to set them in stone until I know the changes they're planning.

Those goals are totally doable! You broke them down pretty well. But for the G2 license, do you still have to wait a year after redoing your G1? (Even though that would be dumb since you've already had your G1 for 5 years...) And you probably already know this, but if you haven't taken driving lessons before, I think you're going to have to redo the in-class lessons also... But that's just if you want the insurance discount. I really don't like the way the system works...

Soon as you mentioned it was a song, I went to youtube it. What's the artist? Also just out of curiosity, what's the concert you were hoping to get the tickets for?

And yeah the diet is going to be my biggest challenge ... and yeah I was thinking about a crockpot too! There's a load of crockpot recipes on www.paleomg.com which seem tasty, so I may have to invest in one. I'm so excited to go back to school so I can do my own groceries again... and to toss out the chips and boxes of instamash still hiding in my cupboard...

Littlewings- The song is Littlewing by Stevie Rae Vaughan (there is also a version by Jimi Hendrix). I Youtubed it immediatly when I saw your name lol. The concert is for a band called Soundgarden. They are playing on Feb 7th and 8th if Im not mistaken. They're really good live and usually only play their hits, always a plus. Yeah my crockpot has saved me alot of $ Im sure and even better, has kept me from fast food when I use it. As far as school goes, I still have a couple months and change before spring quarter starts. Im kinda nervous about it but in a good way if that makes sense.

Amingley- Good on you for writing out those goals. Im in agreement with LW and think they look very doable. If you can cut out soda, then my hat is off to you. I switched to diet sodas, but cutting them out all 100% would be hard. Good luck with your licence. I know that feeling of hurry-up-and-wait when dealing with stuff like that. I hope it goes smooth for you, GO AMINGLEY!

Porkchop - I'm looking at crypto and intelligence. since I haven't yet taken the ASVAB, I'm hesitating to get too attached right now. We'll see what I qualify for and then start some serious research.

Amingley - Good luck on the driving test, I've never passed. I'm good on the written portion, but actual driving I've never mastered.

Amelia - Wow you are organized... I've tried a few times to really set schedules for everything, but I find the more details I try to pin down the harder it gets and then it all snowballs into oblivion. This time round, I'm setting goals and I'm going to try really hard to not obsess or get out of sorts because I mess up a day or two.

Hi,

I just joined today. I would love to jump right into a challenge. I also like the idea about being accountable. If you still have room I would like to join your group.

Welcome! What are your goals? 

Is everyone ready for the 1st or 7th or whatever? I'm having last minute jitters. My first challenge, so exciting! I'm trying to figure out how I want to format my challenge posts as opposed to my battle log. 

And yeah the diet is going to be my biggest challenge ... and yeah I was thinking about a crockpot too! There's a load of crockpot recipes on www.paleomg.com which seem tasty, so I may have to invest in one. 

I got my crockpot for $5 at a thrift store. It works fine the only thing wrong is that its missing the knob cover thing. If you're really tight on money you can try a thrift stores or yard sales. Or even http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-4.5-Quart-Manual-Slow-Cooker/21154912 it's only $16!

Amelia - Wow you are organized... I've tried a few times to really set schedules for everything, but I find the more details I try to pin down the harder it gets and then it all snowballs into oblivion. This time round, I'm setting goals and I'm going to try really hard to not obsess or get out of sorts because I mess up a day or two.

Usually, I am not organized. But I am trying to change that. I've tried schedules too and never followed them. I'm going to just make a list and do as many things on that list as I can. My plan is to establish routines that will make working towards my goal easier. Also, I'm a stay-at-home mom of a 3-year-old so I'm lucky to have more time to devote to my goals than probably most people on NF. The list of things I will do on a daily basis for this challenge would be 

-Exercise

-Cook

-Play (with daughter)

-Clean

-Plan for tomorrow

that is what I am focusing on for this challenge. I don't think that is too much. But maybe it is. This is my first challenge after all. If I do succeed, my next six week challenge would focus on maintaining these new habits and maybe adding one new goal. If I fail, I will analyze what mistakes I made and why, and adjust my goals for my next challenge (i.e. make my goals smaller/more manageable). But I won't fail miserably, maybe I'll have a slip up or two but I wont quit. None of us will if we really want this change.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

I'm starting on the 1st also. And I'm anxious, too. What if I not ready?! 

Maybe for your challenge thread:

Goal 1: Â·         What did I do right? (Congratulate yourself!)

o   What can I do to make sure I repeat that success?

·         What did I do wrong? (Don't beat yourself up, learn from it and move on)

o   What were the consequences of my mistake(s)?

o   What can I do to prevent myself from making the same mistakes again?

o   How did I get in my own way?

·         What triggers did I encounter today? How did I deal with them?

Goal 2:  (same)

That may seem like a lot to do but you don't have to do it every day and not every time you post to your thread.

Hi,

I just joined today. I would love to jump right into a challenge. I also like the idea about being accountable. If you still have room I would like to join your group.

Welcome to the group! 

And also, everyone, how do we go about making this group official?

@Porkchop - Okay, hahaha, I'll look it up! Soundgarden is also really good, I can see why you'd want to go to their concert. I think I only have one of their songs on my ipod though... And sweet. I'm for sure getting  a crockpot!

@LindaM - Absolutely!! :) Welcome!

@Amelia - YES. Walmart seems like the place to go. I'm hoping to be able to pick one up before driving up to school.

Two more days guys, I'm excited!!

Amelia - I like the format, I'll give it some thought. As for how to go official. No idea. I suppose we come up with a name and create a new thread under that name... I thought that at one time there was a spreadsheet with different groups on it, but I can't find it anymore.

I know we talked about treating ourselves after the challenge as rewards for being good little rebels, but what about some kind of mini prize? Like if we have a little poll at the end of the challenge to see which of us did the best and each send that person an amazon gift card for one dollar. I realize that's not a lot of money, but it'd still be kinda nice and at worst the rest of us are only out a dollar or whatever the minimum amount of an amazon gift card is (15 cents?). Just a thought. 

Hi,

Hey Linda M. Congrats on getting started and welcome. Its nice to meet you.

-Space Elf- Yeah I cant believe its almost 1/1/13! We'll all do great though Im sure. Just start slow and steady and make sure to pat yourself on the back when you complete a task. Success builds on success.

-Amelia- Just want to say thanks for those challenge thread questions. Very good for self-reflection and honest answers, I think I'll use them if I get behind.

-Littlewings- Good luck starting up school and drive safe if you have to drive far (drive safe even if you're not driving far)

Well everyone, down to the last couple days of the year and its looking like good times will be had by all. Lets make it an awesome 2013 and make this first challenge our bitch...Or lets just do our best

Amelia - I like the format, I'll give it some thought. As for how to go official. No idea. I suppose we come up with a name and create a new thread under that name... I thought that at one time there was a spreadsheet with different groups on it, but I can't find it anymore.

I know we talked about treating ourselves after the challenge as rewards for being good little rebels, but what about some kind of mini prize? Like if we have a little poll at the end of the challenge to see which of us did the best and each send that person an amazon gift card for one dollar. I realize that's not a lot of money, but it'd still be kinda nice and at worst the rest of us are only out a dollar or whatever the minimum amount of an amazon gift card is (15 cents?). Just a thought. 

I like it. You can get .15 cent gift cards???