Miriad will take no prisoners!

Name:

Miriad

Goals!:

- one real push-up

- 500m row in 1:45

- 400m run in 2:15

- bench press 125 pounds x5

- no dishes sitting by the sink overnight (you'd think this would be easier than it is... it is not.)

Class:

Ranger

Eat!:

Just getting started with paleo after a period of going gluten free.

Stuff!:

I'd LOVE to be on a team with spezzy- I'd actually get stuff DONE. *snerk* I have a gym membership but have only recently started using the free weights there. I'm trying to get back to my former weightlifting shape and strength but I also want to work on speed and endurance.

Team!:

I need a squad! I need people to inspire and to be inspired by! And I really need someone to be on me about getting stuff done. I make far too many excuses and lose far too much ground because of it.

oh hi!

sooooo i had already put a bunch of the teams together before you posted this, so we're not on the same team :(

and it looks like we have some of the same goals too! only my bench press goal is 125x1, not x5. i would be quite pleased with x5 though :)

also. the dishes.

out of all of my goals, the dishes is the hardest one.

easily.

we can have our own fake squad where we do bench presses and dishes! :)

Hey Miriad! How are you doing with your goals? I can totally relate with your goal of doing a 500m row in 1:45 minutes. I wish I had access to a rowing machine now, it's just not so common here in my country.

Anyway, not kidding, I lost 50lbs back then because of constantly going to the rowing machine. But I used to do more long distance workouts like 30 minutes or 42 with negative splits and varying speeds. I used to be a Varsity rower, back in my heyday I think I could crank out a sprint of 1:17~1:21 but generally that's just that, an anaerobic sprint: good if you're going for HIIT I guess but practically inefficient since a race is at least 2000m. On that note I think that goal is super doable, let us know what happens!

Just a quick check-in- expect more later!

I wanted to get some baselines for a few things yesterday at the gym. I was able, on the treadmill, to hit 400m in 1:45. *blinks* I was STUNNED. And then I realized that I felt like my heart was going to explode, so not of the good there. But I did it once. I can do it again.

Found the rowing machines at the gym- did NOT know they were even there, tucked away in the corner. I was just shy of Rank 2 (missed it by 2 seconds). This was, however, after the heart-exploding run I did so I expect that today I will be able to hit 1:55 for 500m on the erg.

Dishes are still epic fail. I don't have any clean forks right now and I may have to resort to eating my stew out of a coffee mug unless I start washing dishes tonight. Spezzy, I understand where you are coming from- I get home so late, I don't want to do anything resembling washing dishes.

BUT I MUST!!!!!

Did not get a chance to bench anything yesterday, as there were too many dudes fighting for the benches. I did try overhead presses, which was pretty cool. Trying to level up on those as well, even though they aren't one of my "official" challenge goals. Will try for the benches today and see what happens.

I've been eating paleo but Girl Scout cookie time is here and guys, I have to confess, I'd stab my grandmother in the face to get some thin mints or for a box of samoas. Just saying. I HAVE NOT eaten any, as I am an an exclusion diet to test what gluten does to me and I have already had to start over a few times because of stupid stuff. I WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR COOKIES.

They are sitting on my desk, taunting me.

That was WAY longer that I was planning on. Must head to the gym. Huzzah!

Dishes are still epic fail.

I've been eating paleo but Girl Scout cookie time is here and guys, I have to confess, I'd stab my grandmother in the face to get some thin mints or for a box of samoas. Just saying.

a) I feel your pain. I even have a working dishwasher, so I have no excuse except laziness.

B) Seconded :)

*rubs butt*

Well, it's been interesting. I've had updating this thread on my to-do list for four days now... I feel lame.

I haven't been as consistent as I wanted to be but I did get some workouts in. I had a great one on Super Bowl Sunday. I think I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew re: my bench press numbers. I realized that I wasn't able to do 10 at 95 lbs right now (I've hit 7) so I'm worried about getting to 125lbs at all, let alone 5 reps.

I'm loving the work I'm doing on the rowing machine. LOVING IT. I was focusing on short, 500m sprints but I've been busting out the 2k sets now and am finding that they are kicking my ass. I am firmly a level 2 at this point but am worried about getting my time down to qualify for a level 3.

Got in a quick workout before I had to tutor today, which was fantastic. I really miss it when I can't get to the gym and I was already frustrated that my tutoring students were pushing out time back by over an hour. But, I got my workout in and felt pretty darn good about it. The New Year's Resolution people are starting to drift off again so it isn't quite as crazy right now.

Dishes are still EPIC FAIL right now. *sigh*

I have dropped 2.4 more pounds and am down an additional 2% of body fat. Woo hoo!!!!!!

I'm loving the work I'm doing on the rowing machine. LOVING IT. I was focusing on short, 500m sprints but I've been busting out the 2k sets now and am finding that they are kicking my ass. I am firmly a level 2 at this point but am worried about getting my time down to qualify for a level 3.

I have dropped 2.4 more pounds and am down an additional 2% of body fat. Woo hoo!!!!!!

I miss rowing, both on and off the water! Congrats on the weight loss! Rootin' for ya!

Thanks for the support guys! You rock!

I have not been to the gym in a few days. I have been feeling under the weather, with weird sinusy headaches (which are different than the headaches I've been having) and I've had some stomach issues as well. Not sure what the deal is but I have not been up for working out. I have, in the past, worked out when I wasn't feeling right and it did make me feel better. However, my body knows that doing so now would be a mistake.

I am debating heading there this evening. I am working on my novel at the moment (well, I'm posting here but will get to the novel in a minute) and I am feeling pretty good, so I think when the cafe closes at 5, over to the gym I shall go. *nods*

My eating has been pretty good, with a few miss moments here or there. I have stayed strong with the gluten free. I only have to make it to Wednesday morning and then I can break into the Girl Scout cookies with abandon. Well, maybe not abandon but... you know what I mean.

Still in the land of the dishes fail. :(

Someday, there will be no spoons waiting to be scrubbed and I will be a happy girl.

Girl Scout cookies are dangerous! But you can manage them.

Eventually those spoons will no longer be able to mock you from the sink, but be in their place in the drawer!

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep it up!

THUNDERCATS HOOOO!!

@Trex- Tut, tut sirah! Your facial hair is quite the fantastic sort! Huzzah! Pip, pip, cherrio and what not!

Those mocking spoons... how I curse them. They still mock me. *sigh*

I was way excited to see that Steve posted a "how to do push ups" post today, which is just what I need to reach one of my goals.

I purchased my first pair of Vibram Five Fingers yesterday and took them for a test run. They were awesome! I clocked my fastest non-treadmill time ever, which was great. The downside is (and they do warn you about this but you don't understand until you do it) that running like this uses different muscles and your muscles are not going to be ready for it. I woke up this morning and couldn't put weight on my right foot- I had tightened up so much, my leg was almost unusable. I was eventually able to get the muscles warmed up enough to loosen up but man, did it hurt. Is it sick for me to say that I thought it was kind of awesome?

Can't wait to go again but I have to wait until at least tomorrow.

I was planning to go to the gym tonight but apparently it's my good friend's birthday so I guess I'll have to go out and have a steak instead. If I have to. *sigh*

I saw the pushups post and wondered if you had read it, how are the pushups going anyways? Also, congrats on the VFFs, there's something really motivating about putting them on I find. As I'm sure you've read, start out slowly with the running, or you'll be in a world of hurt, especially your calves and achilles tendon. A great stretch to do before and after running in them I've found is to stand on the edge of a stair with your heels hanging over the edge, then dip down for a few seconds, then stand on your toes for a few seconds. Do this 5 times, and you'll save yourself a good couple of days' recovery time. Did you get KSOs or Sprints (or one of the fancy new ones)?

Push-ups aren't going all that well. I just don't feel like I'm making progress but I'll re-evaluate using Steve's post.

I purchased a pair of Vibram Bikila's. You are SO right- they are very motivating. Perhaps a bit too much. Like I said, I overdid it a bit. My calves are on fire every time I stand up. Thanks for the suggestion re: stretching. I will add that in to my stretching routine.

What kind of VFFs do you have?

Don't feel discouraged by the push-ups. I echo the sentiment of others that they're a great go-to exercise, so keep at it and you'll be golden! If you're looking for a little more help with starting, the push-up progression on Mark's Daily Apple for the Primal Blueprint essential movements is pretty good. I started using the essential movements for this challenge and it's a good (albeit brutal at times) total body workout. Mark also has videos on YouTube where he talks through the movements at each of the levels, which is really helpful too.

Still loads of time for you to work up to that push-up, just keep chipping away :)

I've got an old pair of KSOs...I've had them for about a year now, and they're still in great nick.

Have you got a plan to get you to 1 pushup? It's usually much easier if you have a system, then you can be fairly certain you'll make it there. I'd recommend trying 1 pushup every other day. If you fail, that's fine, but then do a wall-pushup 1-10 pyramid (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1) with a short break between each set. Each day, try to get a little more horizontal by finding other things to pushup from, such as counter tops, benches, etc. If you stick to this, you'll be doing a pushup within a week or 2, I guarantee it!

@spacecoyote - Thanks for all the support! I really appreciate it. I've been getting down on myself a bit, so this really helps. :)

@Dawsy- I wanted to let you know that I tried your stretching exercise the second time I used my vibrams and it really, really helped. Still had some soreness but it wasn't something that made it hard to walk like before. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! You saved my poor calves!

Also, thank you for the suggestion re: push-up system. I have been struggling with making workout plans for myself this entire challenge. I think I just needed someone else to point me in the right direction. I'm going to put it to good use tonight and see how it goes.

@spezzy- I am loving the VFF's too! I wasn't sure it would last past the first run but it has and I am so glad! Can't wait to really get myself adjusted so I can see what a much longer run feels like and looks like re: time. I'm such a slow runner but I've seen marked improvement over the past few months. I'd love to reach a speed goal and then stop worrying about it.

In terms of benching, it's not going as well as I had hoped. I'm still struggling to get past 110lbs. I think this goes back to what I mentioned before- I don't have a very good plan right now and I am seeing the (lack of) results that you would expect. I also don't have a reliable spotter at that gym, so I tend to be a bit wary of trying to go beyond what I really know. I have to get over that and I have had good luck asking random dudes to help me but I'm still a bit shy in that area.

DISHES ARE STILL FAIL.

Girl Scout cookies are go for launch today and I ate way too many. I am going to ask the husband to take control of the boxes and hope that he can help me work on my self control.

I told him that I don't have any but he reminded me that I was able to go gluten free for a month and I even had a box of GS cookies sit on my desk for almost a week while I waited out the rest of my exclusion diet. So, yeah, I CAN do it but apparently today I didn't really WANT to all that badly. *sigh*

I'll figure it all out. I think I do have a gluten sensitivity, which I think is also connected with a dairy issue so I may have to do another exclusion. Which should be good for my waistline, to be honest. :)

THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Guys, I met my push-up goal! On Sunday, I was able to do TWO (count'em- TWO) REAL push-ups. It was AWESOME!

And then I started working on the push-up pyramid that Dawsy suggested. I was working with a bench at the gym and while I was not able to get through the entire pyramid, I got a lot further than I thought I would. I started to have some lower back pain and decided to stop before I was done but I feel like I accomplished quite a lot.

In terms of all my other goals, I did not meet them. But I got a lot closer than I was before the challenge so I still count it as a win. And although I did not make my dishes goal, I am SO CLOSE I can taste it. The next challenge will be the one that gets it done, I can feel it.

I think for the next challenge, I want to work on that push-ups pyramid and do a burpee pyramid as well. We'll have to see how it goes but that's what I think I want to do. :)

My sister is in town for three days so I may not get in the kind of workouts that I really want/need but it's back on the horse once she's gone.

Congrats on the pushup goal! I'm a big fan of exercise pyramids, so I am fully in support of that for the next challenge. :) Just one more big push next challenge and I know you'll hit all your goals.