Squad One: Spezzy, KW, Cacophony, Clawed Bear, motherfitness, Joe Freedom

Checking in and seeing how everyone's doing...

Hey, Clawed. How are you?

Thanks for the vid compliments. Random guy was funny for sure.

Man, I am t.i.r.e.d. My eyes burn. Still going to train tonight. Next month I think my challenge should be an anti-sugar campaign. I need to kick the habit.

Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.- Napoleon Hill

Good, I feel like I could take the world and win today. It's one of those mental clarity, feel good, nothing hurts kind of days. Well, until I started plotting my workout...

Sorry to hear you're so tired...get some sleep! You're going to need it to get that pr.

And getting rid of sugar is HARD. I haven't been able to do it. Got rid of most of it, but not all of it...

Pulled from my challenge log. This is how I'm doing! :D

Workout: Swing day. 11 sets of 10 in 12 minutes for a total rep count of 110. That's a new PR for the condensed time! (I've done 120 swings before, but it took me about 20 minutes). I've been working towards surviving a 12 minute swing session during this challenge, and have gone from about 75 reps in 7 minutes, to 90 reps in 10 minutes, to actually surviving all 12 minutes of torture. Now I just need to remove the one break and I'll hit my goal! By the way, I also made it without any grip issues. Cacophony, thanks for the suggestion about the suitcase style lift and hold. Really made a difference...

oh hello squad :)

been kind of mia the past few days, some pretty crappy family shit. but was back in the gym this morning, focus is at least back now that things have calmed.

motherfitness = no sugar is a great challenge, but SO HARD. i do decent on it like, 90% of the time. maybe i'll make it part of mine next month too, that way we can be in withdrawl together :)

clawed = yay to pr's! great job :)

how's everyone else doing?

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

yay!

my theory for training is that you should ALWAYS try to hit a PR of some sort. even if its doing something ONE SECOND faster or ONE more rep than last time :)

Good theory. I'll put it into practice for you :D +1 set (10 reps) from last workout (new PR!). Eliminated the last 2 minute break, so 12 sets of 10 swings at the top of every minute. Now I'm going to make that 11 per set. I should be able to hit 15-20 swings per minute if I increase the pace, though it's going to hurt for a while till I build up the stamina. Then I'm going to switch to snatches and the 'rite of passage' workout and work towards the US SS snatch test. That goal scares me. I don't know how to do 200 snatches in 10 minutes, but I'm going to figure it out and accomplish it!

Great workout, Clawed!

Yes, Spezzy definitely need to quit the sugar thing.

I applied to work with John Romaniello, so hopefully he will accept. He is very selective, but has 10 openings for his only Roman training system. Maybe he will help me kick the habit.

Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.- Napoleon Hill

Thanks motherfitness :)

So -- how's everyone doing?

I have slight-moderate (hopefully not worse than that) shoulder pains/stiffness that are going to most likely cause me to baby a couple workouts this week depending on how things are feeling. Called a dr and have an appointment on monday. Hoping active release therapy is all it's supposed to be. If not, it's off for z-health, mri's, and an orthopedic surgeon...I'm currently almost pain free, but it's gone back and forth in the last two weeks. I don't think it's the swing days (going to do less of an arc for the swing just to be sure), but I'm going to back off to no weight on the getup days and focus on doing them while balancing a flip flop. I'm sure I could find a camera for everyone's enjoyment :D

I'm also thinking about throwing out my scale. I've been more focused (well, maybe mentally occupied is a better term) on weight loss than just about anything else. I'm tired of focusing on something I have very little direct control over, so I think it's time for a break. I need my mental focus on workouts (pr's!) and prepping good food :)

I've been doing pretty well, had a rough out-of-town party weekend from Friday through Sunday, so nothing was really accomplished over those days :) Convinced my buddy who lives in Atlanta to come work out with me.. but he can only do mornings, so guess what i've been doing the past few days? It's been tough getting up early but I'm loving it so far.

Today's my day off so I slept in a bit but gonna hit up the gym tomorrow morning once again. I did hit 415 on the deadlift yesterday, and getting back up to 350 was my goal, so I think I've gotten that goal covered :D My shoulders have felt a bit rough on back squats, so I'm going to try out front squats tomorrow. If I can get that form down I -might- be able to hit my 315 goal. We'll se how it goes. Love seeing your guys' progress, keep it up everyone!

So I moved Thursday's workout to this morning to comply with my buddy's work schedule, and Friday's stuff si gonna be tomorrow morning. Randomly hit a PR on dumbell bench press... got up to 100 lb dumbells at 5 reps. Hell I could've done more but wanted to save a bit of energy for squats. I have no idea where the fuel to hit it that hard came from, but i'll take it.

For squats though.. I was going to try front squats since back squats always seem to pull my shoulder joint the wrong way, but man front squats felt SO awkward. I tried the normal 'clean' grip, but my wrists aren't flexible enough to hold that position very long, and the the arms-crossed method I've seen felt like I didn't have much control on the bar. Anyone have any tips or advice on front squat grip/form? I ended up just doing 225 on the back squat, legs were still kinda sore from epic deep weighted lunges on Monday :P

Sorry for the ghosting for the last week or so - school all of a sudden became REALLY heavy in reading and project assignements. I just blew off an entire Sunday in my PJs glued to a computer chair. Ugh.

We seem to be heading into the last week! ROLL CALL!!!

How does everyone feel like theyre getting along.....

Anyone need an extra kick in the pants or band aid.....

Thanks, Clawed for keeping everyone tight!

Challenge wise for me:

Diet: Instead of two cheat meals a day Ive managed to keep it down to three cheat meals this month. Still not necessarily happy, as I really would like to completely get the grains out of my diet but with the time crunch and improper food prep I kind of hamstrung myself a couple of times. This weekend I had to do a project on Vegetinarianism - which is funny. Paleo is like Satanism to Vegan Roman Catholicism... it made for a good paper. It should be interesting to see what kind of mark I get.

Pistols: #*($$.... I have managed to get an inch closer but I have one more inch to go. They are driving me MENTAL.

Mercy and her Therapy Praticums: 2 down, 1 booked for this Thursday. Ill just sneak it in.

BJJ: Havent missed a single class since I started. I will have to miss one on Thursday because that was the only day I could get the last therapy practicum visit in before end of challenge. I can be okay with that - it doesnt count as skipping a class.

Snatches and Presses: Those practise numbers have slipped a lot - mainly due to the increase in FAST classes, BJJ, and weight room time. I am walking a really thin line right now between balancing recovery and work out intensity and Ive been hesitant to just load on additional weight in between in case I throw something. Ill make sure I at least assess my presses before the challenge is over. ..... however, not after close bench today. LOL

. ~*~ Some things make ripples... I prefer to make waves. ~*~ .

Yay! Cacophony's back :D

*goes to put whip back into box*...oh wait, now it's time to give cacophony a bad time *evil grin*

Do you have to be 100% on diet? What's wrong with a cheat meal, day or a couple of days off track?

I am DYING to read your paper. It certainly sounds entertaining. Can you please *pretty please* send me a copy when you're done? Or post it here and start a flame war of vegetarianism vs paleo? ;)

Remember, you can do it. Go forward, conquer your demons and get it done! (I know, I know, your ass is off the couch because you told me so, I just feel the need to do some sort of cheer!).

Do you have to be 100% on diet? What's wrong with a cheat meal, day or a couple of days off track?

Grains do nasty things to your intestinal tract... things like ice creams I don't mind cheating on even though I've given up dairy but there's really nothing I WANT to cheat on that happens to be a bread product. I'm more cranky because of not preparing properly and getting into situations where it was cheat or starve. There's no reason for that to be happening. I only have one body, one life, and dammit I've committed to being healthy and that means I have to remember to EAT. *grins* During a busy week it's not uncommon for me to forget to eat or drink anything between the start of work and bedtime.

I am DYING to read your paper. It certainly sounds entertaining. Can you please *pretty please* send me a copy when you're done? Or post it here and start a flame war of vegetarianism vs paleo? ;)

LOL For the sake of my mark and to keep my reputation with my classmates, most of which whom have openly admitted in the forums that I intimidate the hell out of them, it's not flame-like at all. It's actually an informative paper on combining incomplete proteins with a couple of very subtle digs in my summery. I'll toss it up in the Tavern. :)

EDIT: Okay... this thing isn't going to go into the forum easily. I'll just email it to you. LOL

Well thanks :)

In other news (since I do like to keep my squad mates in the loop), my pain is gone...active release technique is awesome! Got a better hip snap for my kettlebell swings too! Somehow the pain in my knee was causing issues in my leg, leading to not as awesome hip snapping motion thingy. I'm thinking a new pr is in order! So it's week 4, and it's time to bring it. Week 3 might have been bad, but week 4 is all about determination :D

Somehow the pain in my knee was causing issues in my leg, leading to not as awesome hip snapping motion thingy.

WHAT?!? You mean, pain in your KNEE which is lower in your base chain of support was affecting your leg and hip?!? *pulls a Home Alone*

*grins and ducks* Silly thing... You're built from the ground up and it's all one machine, so to speak. Pain anywhere in your body is going to cause the other muscles of your body to compensate and try to relieve the pressure, which can lead to incorrect muscle patterning habits. Those, my friend, are a bugger to correct because you don't even realize you're doing it. Pain means something isn't working right, right? So you adapt. The body will always take the EASIEST route... not necessarily the best or the most efficient. It's not that bright in that context. *winks*

Really glad to hear you've found a pain relief technique that works and you feel better...

Oh, I know it was an issue, I just wasn't sure how to fix it (that and my toes wanted to pop off the floor at the apex of the swing -- that's fixed too). I was going to my trainer to figure something out, but it seems like it got fixed through a different process.

Yes, adaptation kills through pain. Just means you break more parts faster...

Oh, and your paper is good, if not as inflammatory as advertised...though the title is perfect! "Me caveman, you what??"

Oh, and your paper is good, if not as inflammatory as advertised...though the title is perfect! "Me caveman, you what??"

I never claimed it was inflammatory... it's just comparing the two put me in an interesting position. I had marks taken away on my last discussion paper because the teacher felt I was too aggressive in my stance. *rolls eyes* So this time I put on kid gloves. I can play nice if the teacher can't hack a strong opinion - I really want the grade at the end of the day.

It's been awful quiet around here...everyone doing okay? How's the last week of the challenge going?

Personal win this week! (oh, and the completion of one of last challenge's goals): dropped a pant size! I knew that this was coming in the last week, I was just too excited today when I tried them on. Last time they fit was around, oh, 10 months ago. Nice to see some progress :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines