• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

pbandbrains

Zombie Killin' Posse

Hello all,

Here's our new thread as requested. And, of course, you're welcome to contact me via email as well if you're feeling more private or want me to actually reply in a timely manner. :P

I just had this thought... swimming is just as important to escaping zombies as running is. Admittedly, zombies can't swim. However, they don't need to breath so they can keep shuffling along the bottom of the river/lake/whatever until they come out the other side. Must be able to swim faster than an underwater zombie shuffles and not be winded just in case there are more zombies waiting for me on the other side of the river/lake/whatever.

I guess I should try to sell myself to the team though, right? Um, I've been reading Nerd Fitness stuff for about a month or 2. I'm out of shape, but used to be really good at sports. I haven't really done much for the last 5-10 years or so though. The paleo diet really makes sense to me, but I know I wouldn't be able to follow it strictly. I am looking to incorporate several of the ideas though. I work as a nurse (an excellent reason you need me on a zombie apocalypse team). I love my job but on working days, I can get exercise from work only, I really can't do a workout after a 12-14 hour shift. I'm married, have one 5 year old son, I'm in my early 30's. I have also fought depression, but have been doing pretty well lately. I am on facebook and can private email too. As far as zombies go, The Walking Dead is my favorite zombie version. I watch with friends every week, and we discuss our plans for survival if ever needed!

As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. I'm not in charge right now.

Diets can be tough to commit to for many reasons. I live with my Dad and he's very against any kind of diet and since he's the one who pays for the bulk of the groceries... We compromise. I can be as paleo as I please for breakfast, snacks, and lunch, but dinner and dessert have to be normal foods.

So, January 1st is approaching swiftly. What goals does everyone want to strive for? Which ones are you most worried about? Here is what I'd like to focus on:

1. Keep track of weightlifting; push myself to lift as much as possible (STR 4).
Yes, I know I should have been doing this from the start, but I didn't really see the point. Now I realize that it's a great way to see my progress in terms of gaining strength. I went from 5 to 8 lbs in my first challenge, but I could probably have done better if I had pushed myself more at the beginning.

2. On off-days, run 1/2 an hour (DEX 2, STA 2).
I'm not really a fan of running, mostly because I look like an awkward ostrich-type creature when I try to. So, I've decided I'll get up earlier in the morning so there won't be as many people around and I won't feel as self-conscious.

3. Start dog training; focusing on barking, destruction, and jumping (WIS 4).
My dogs are kind of naughty, but that has a lot to do with their slacker owner. Besides, if I'm improving myself, they have to improve themselves as well.

4. Volunteer with people (CHA 3).
I currently volunteer at an animal shelter and that works well for me. It stresses me out to interact with people. So, the plan is to get over my awkwardness and help others in the process.

P.S. Welcome to the newest members of the gang. Please don't feed the zombies...they bite.

If you guys are looking for more zombie fighters, I'm in.  All of my goals are on my computer at home and I'm out of town, but it involves running twice a week (using Zombies, Run! of course), eating Paleo, and some other stuff that I apparently can't think of right now.

Happy new year everybody! :smile-new: Space elf, good thought on the swimming. That makes me think of the scene in Pirates I where the undead cursed pirates are strolling along the sea bed towards the Commodore's ship... and chainsaws don't work underwater!

Pbandbrains, those are some great goals! I agree, people can be scary. I can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Here are my goals:

1) STICK TO A ROUTINE. WIthout a set time to do what needs to be done, be it exercise, projects or whatever, I am completely unfocused, and getting anything done is an uphill battle. I've struggled with this for the last 3 1/2 years of college but I hope to finally kick some procrastination station a$$.

2) PURIFY MY DIET. I am doing Whole30, then reevaluating/making adjustments (I've had doctors essentially prescribe for me to live near-paleo for autoimmune stuff). I'm already gluten-free, so grains aren't too hard for me, but hopefully I can go without dairy or sugar the whole 6 weeks - or even the year! 

3) Make a point to DO SOMETHING FUN that expands my mind, at least once a week. I have a list of things that can be (reading books, writing hieroglyphs, drawing zombie targets and shooting at them with nerf guns) but I just don't want to get in to the same rut I usually do during the semester and spend my free time asleep or reading email.

4) GO TO MORDOR AND PULL SELF UP FROM CERTAIN FIERY DEATH. On days will probably be beginner or advanced bodyweight workout, off days I will sprint, jog, walk and otherwise tread to Mordor. All days I will stretch at least once. By the end of 6 weeks, I hope to have my splits back, and be able to do an unassisted pull up. Last semester I was able on an assist machine to pull up half my body weight for two rounds of 5 reps... now its time to take it home!

... I have no idea how to assign points for all those. HALP.

I was thinking 1 = (WIS+1), 2 = (CON+3), 3 = (WIS+1) or (CHA+1), and 4 = (STR+3) (DEX+3) (STA+4). good/bad? suggestions?

What about the rest of y'all?

So, my 5 goals for 2013 are:

Reach a healthy BMI, right now I am 29.4.  STR DEX CON and STA

Learn to polka (why not?) CHA DEX

Find out what I need to do to get a BS in nursing (not get it, just see what the plan would be) WIS

Take a picture a day (photo prompts on shuttersisters.com, and I'm posting at flickr.com/2pinkpills) STA CHA

Read 25 books CHA WIS

I don't know about the point values either...

So are we all doing the 6 week challenge? My goals above are more for the year, but the idea for 1/7-2/18 is "Pick 3 diet/fitness goals and 1 level up your life goal and work towards them over the next 6 weeks" 

Let's do it!

... I have no idea how to assign points for all those. HALP.

I was thinking 1 = (WIS+1), 2 = (CON+3), 3 = (WIS+1) or (CHA+1), and 4 = (STR+3) (DEX+3) (STA+4). good/bad? suggestions?

I like your goals, but your points are off.  Any task can only have a maximum of 5 points assigned to it.  If it were me, I would probably go with something like this, though other people would probably do things differently.  Just remember, assign more points not just to difficult ones, but to the ones that you don't think you'll end up doing.  It's a little extra encouragement.

1: 3 WIS

2: 5 CON

3: 1 CHA 1 WIS

4: 3 STA 2 STR

And Oakley, the stats are typically done specifically for the 6 week challenges.  But if you wanted to, you could break your goals down a bit and make them a little easier and use them for the challenge.

I like your goals, but your points are off.  Any task can only have a maximum of 5 points assigned to it.  If it were me, I would probably go with something like this, though other people would probably do things differently.  Just remember, assign more points not just to difficult ones, but to the ones that you don't think you'll end up doing.  It's a little extra encouragement.

1: 3 WIS

2: 5 CON

3: 1 CHA 1 WIS

4: 3 STA 2 STR

Thanks Zebarah! Sounds good to me... so excited for my first challenge!!

Happy Day 2!

Cathasaigh, your goals look good and I agree with Zebarah's assessment for points.

Oakley, here's my suggestion on how to make six week challenge goals from your long terms ones:

1. Lose 10 lbs. Or you could put it in terms of BMI, like lose % of body fat or something. +2 DEX +2 STA

2. Learn to polka. Hey! You could definitely do this within the six weeks. If you don't want to take a class, youtube it or make some awesome new friends who can polka. +2 DEX +2 STA

3. Look at three schools and fill out applications. Or something like that. I'm not sure exactly where you are here, so adjust it to how far along you are. +4 WIS

4. Take a picture everyday. Yup, this can easily fit in for the six weeks. +3 CHA because you can chat people up about your photography abilities.

Yeah, sounds good, I guess for more specific 3 fitness and 1 life goal for the 6 week challenge, I'll go with

1. no pop +1 STA  +2 CON

2. paleo for 2 meals a day +3 CON

3. 3 solid workouts a week +2 STR  +3 STA 

4. take a picture a day  +3 CHA 

Does that make sense? We'll see tomorrow I guess when official rules are posted! I feel better about it since I think those are more specific 6 week goals.

Hey everyone! Hope I'm not too late for the party... ;-) And I hope I can crash it as well (I need the accountability).

I am really inspired by everyone's goals. You make me feel like this year will be a BIG one, for all of us!

As for my goals for this upcoming challenge, here they are-->>

1. Fitness Goals and points: -
    • Lose 7 lbs (*scream*)-- STA- 2, STR- 2
    • Perform the Rebel Fitness Guide Level 1 Rookie workouts for 6 weeks (I tend to want to hurry things along- I'm teaching myself patience)-- WIS- 1, STR- 1, STA- 2. If I find that it's getting easier, I'll just increase the weights.
    • At least 20 pushups in a row-- STR- 3, STA- 2
  2. Life Goal and points: -
  • Journal at least three times per week, for the next 6 weeks-- WIS- 2

That's it for me!

Welcome Kangai! happy to see you're excited, your goals look awesome!

I just signed up and posted my goals on the Druid board-- here we go! I'm gonna put a link to my battle log in my signature (once I figure out how) so I feel obligated to update it... and so y'all can heckle me if I start slacking! ;D 

Good luck to everybody! 

so, should we sign up on the new accountabilibuddies sheet? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnL943o3CTUvdG9VdmtaeVZ0cUoxZF95SktYbkczZnc#gid=8  pbandbrains are you our leader? Let's get fit to slay some zombies

I was wondering the same thing.  It's not that we really need to sign up or anything, that just makes it easier for people to find us.  And I'm all psyched for killing some zombies.  Zombies, Run! always put me in that mood.

I also had a question- are we going to do mini-challenges amongst the members of this group?

I think that would be cool, and would keep us all motivated. Maybe 2-week challenges... or something. :-)

I signed up on the adventurer page on the accountabilibuddies under the Zombie Killin' Posse. If anyone else is up for it, sign up! left the leader spot open though