Anarchist's Journey

Thank you guys it's great to have company in this. Especially whoiwas.. it was really useful what you had put there.

Glad to be here, and glad you found some of this useful. It's hard to let people you know get inside your feelings about yourself, 'cause they can't forget once those feelings are long gone. Strangers? Not so much.

Side note: Please verify everything I post. I read, interpret and act. I might be wrong, or I might be right for me and wrong for you.

Day 9 : One Week Success

I've completed the 1st Week prep program. It's only 3 workouts but still I feel quite satisfied that I stuck with the program for a full week. I woke up early on all days, overcame the laziness and did the workouts completely and properly. It would be too much to expect any results from just 3 workouts, but still I'm going to do the measurements tomorrow night. I've planned to do them every Saturday night.

It's about to get tougher from tomorrow. Because I'm also thinking about stopping smoking. I know this is going to be a hard test for my will power. I've been restricting a lot about food for the past 4 months. Now I've also started a workout routine. On top of that I also have to give up smoking. I'll set priorities so that I'll know how to handle myself in case my will power falls short.

Priority 1 : Food. I've been having a well controlled diet for the past 4 months and I don't want to break that at any cost.

Priority 2 : The 70 day workout schedule. It's just for 70 days (only 61 more days now).

Priority 3 : Quitting Smoking. This has been very hard for me. I don't want to stress myself out at this time. If it gets too tough, I'll give up this attempt (for time being) and keep up top 2 priorities. But I'll try sincerely.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Anarchist, here is how I plan to deal with my smoking:  I have two and a half weeks of clean eating in.  I started walking this week.  I was going to start beginner's bodyweight workout next week, but my knees and hips are not cooperating with even just the walking yet, so I have to postpone for a week or two.  I'm going to give glucosamine a try and see if that eases things up a bit.  LASTLY, once that is established, I am going to switch over to an electronic cigarette.  When you have an addictive personality (not saying YOU do, but I for sure do), giving something up tends to trigger cravings for all the other stuff you've given up.  So even though I had been sober for 15 years the last time I tried quitting cigarettes, I suddenly found myself wanting to drink. (I did not).  It makes it doubly hard to quit smoking, because you ALSO don't want to blow all the other hard work you've been doing.  I think the fact that every day you start with the intent of NOT smoking, and it sounds like you are smoking much less  than you were, is awesome in and of itself.  The physical addiction to nicotine takes three days to  break.  That is the easy part.  It's all the psychological stuff that we associate with smoking that causes the difficulty, as you noted in an earlier post.  Some of those habits we can change (I can take a walk during my break at work, I can go read in my bedroom and take a break from the kids/dogs/noise instead of sitting on the patio with a cigarette), some we can't.  But even if ALL I can do this summer is switch over to an electronic cigarette, that will be a good start for me. 

As for the hungry after working out, if you do some reading as recommended above, you will find that it is perfectly normal and perfectly fine.  Stick with a protein snack and you'll be okay.  I started tracking my food on an app.  Try not to pay TOO much attention to the calories, but more to the ratio of proteins/carbs/fats.  You can always try a green smoothie (spinach/kale, some melon for sweetness, almond milk and a raw egg) if you don't want the protein powder.  I know that I have been doing pretty strict Paleo, and I am coming in around 1200 calories a day, and that is with three meals, a green smoothie and a snack.  I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge all the time (not just for me, but I'm trying to get my kids to make better food choices, and they like them too).  It's a mindset chance, isn't it, that it's GOOD TO EAT?  And you are learning to listen to your body, which is important.  If your body says it's hungry, it is.  When your HEAD says you're hungry, that's what you need to ignore :)

You are doing really, really well.  Keep it up!

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Day 10 : Binge Drinking

I was pretty sure I was not going to drink this Saturday. But as fate would have it, my best friend came from out of town. I couldn't refuse when he called me to his place for the night. I still thought I'll stop with just 2 rounds. But no. When we were done, I had drunk about half a litre of whiskey, half a litre of 7-UP, ate loads of fried chicken, smoked more than 5 cigarettes and stayed up till 2 AM watching 2 parts of "The Gods must be crazy". Worse, I had planned to take measurements today but didn't do that either. Worst day. I hope this would be the last such day till my 70 days are over.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 11 : First Week Measurements

Surprise! Neither my weight, nor my waist size has changed  :rolleyes-new:

Must be my indulging last night. I think I'm still having some of the hangover left. NEVER again. I also did the test workout. Still no luck with the pull ups. But I could do about half of a pull up if I gave a bit of bounce with my legs while starting. Also, the first time, I did the easy version of plank. Instead of supporting with the fore arm, the easy version is to support with the palms (exactly the starting posture of a push up). I'm changing and doing the proper version of plank from now. I don't know if it's correct, but I'm gonna go on and halve the first week plank measurement to substitute. It was originally 62 seconds, which I'm changing to 31 seconds.

End of Week  |   0 |   1 |   2 |   3 |   4 |   5 |   6 |   7 |   8 |   9 |  10 |Weight (kgs) |  83 |  83 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Waist (cms)  | 104 | 104 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Pull Ups     |   0 |   0 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Squats       |  35 |  40 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Push Ups     |  12 |  17 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Plank (secs) |  31 |  40 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |

Only one thing left before I go to sleep - Write down workouts for the coming week. Prep Week 2. I really wish I'd be able to do a pull up by the end of this week.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 12 : Sadness

Didn't do the workout I scheduled today. I was going out with this girl. Just platonic. Or so I was thinking. In India, your parents find a match for you. It's crazy big deal if you go on to find your own match or refuse to marry a match they've found. Her parents found one. First thing I found out this morning was that she's getting engaged next month and married the next. Never thought about anything else today. It was just so heart breaking. I never even had a chance to tell her what I felt. It goes without saying that it's forbidden for her to talk with her male friends hereafter. Memories were playing back again and again in my mind. Only they were so painful this time. I can never even meet her hereafter. It's all over. I've said good bye.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Just remember that  you are entitled to your grief and let yourself feel it.  It is horrible to have someone cut from your life through no fault of either of you.  Breathe. 

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

Ah, take it easy on yourself for a couple of days. This situation must really suck, as there is nothing you can do about it. Time is a healer, for now do whatever makes you feel better, whether that's spending time alone or being distracted by friends. Take care :)

Level 1 Rebel

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Battle Log

Whatever I do I don't seem to get over it. Can't help the stupid hope that something will happen and we'll be back together again. I guess only time can heal a mind. I really don't want to have two failures at the same time. I started this n I'll finish it. Missed two of three workouts this week. So I'm not considering this week part of my 70 days. I'm gonna go ahead and take the weekend off too.

I'll resume from "Day 12" on Monday.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 12 : Reboot

Performed the 4th workout today. Even though I'm only in the preparatory period, the increase in toughness of the workouts are quite noticeable. I could find myself panting and sweating like anything halfway through today's workout. But still no luck with the pull-ups and chin-ups. I still can't do even one without at least bouncing off my feet. I can already feel myself getting stronger though. The workouts are really good. They workout the whole body but I don't even have to use a dumbbell. The pull-up bar is the only equipment I'm using.

But indulged a little bit in food today. They've opened a new biryani shop near work. I just couldn't resist trying it out. The chicken biryani was quite good. One more challenge for my self-control I guess. :P

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 13 : Day Off

I don't know for what reason, but woke up really late today. It was almost 10 when I opened my eyes. Took the day off and just relaxed with my violin. I've just bought this amazing violin practice book by Simon Fischer. I also had to take my 4 year old nephew to visit the doctor in the evening. Surprisingly two of my very old friends called me on phone today. Even though I stayed at home, I managed to keep up the diet controlled. I even stayed off of tea (which is very difficult for me). Great day today. Even the weather was amazing.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 14 : Regular Programming

Woke up early. Performed the scheduled workout. I've also started another habit from today - Never to use elevators. I work on the 4th floor by the way. I know just workouts are not enough. I'm trying to build activeness into my lifestyle as much as possible.

Day 15 : Rest Day

Bad day again. Indulged heavily in food. I'm letting control of eating go about 3 or 4 times a week. I've to bring it to zero. Otherwise, the discipline I'm building regarding the workouts could go to waste.

Day 16 : Skipped Workout

I had to skip today's workout. A relative just passed away - not close but she was an important person in the family. So I had to drive out of town in the early morning to attend the funeral. I came back at about 9 at night but since I drove myself was too tired to workout. I'm doing this workout tomorrow morning.

I still am not able to do even one pull-up. I have only one more prep-week before the actual workouts start. I need to be able to do atleast 5 pull-ups if I'm eligible to start the workout program. I'm looking everywhere for tips to get started doing pull-ups.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 17 : Diet Mess-up (Again)

Woke up late again today. But since I didn't have to go to work (saturday), I had plenty of time to workout. I completed the 6th prep workout (3 more to go). Somehow I must get myself to do pull-ups before I begin the actual workout program. I did some lat pulldowns using an exercise band. I'm planning to do some more before I go to sleep today.

Messed up my diet again today. I went out for lunch with some friends (after a long time), and let go of diet control. To add to it, the food at this restaurant was just amazing. I have to give up smoking as well as these diet glitches to make the workout program really effective.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Hey there, how are things going? It looks a little like you might be trying to do too much at once again, leading to so called mess ups with your diet. Maybe go back to basics and aim for one or two healthy meals a day, or just focus on smaller do-able goals. You're sounding tough on yourself, remember any changes for the better is progress, one step at a time :)

Level 1 Rebel

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge Battle Log

Hi pink.. thanks for being supportive on this. I know if I add quitting cigarettes as well as controlling my diet, that would be too demanding. Because I'm already waking up too early than my usual and dragging myself too hard into starting the workout. It's surprising how lazy it feels even after doing it for over 2 weeks. But I'm just keeping the other things in mind.

My first priority right now is to keep up with the workout schedule.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 18 : 2nd Week Measurements

Completed second week schedule and it's time for measurements. Actually when I went out with my friends yesterday, all of us weighed ourselves at a weighing machine stand. It showed 81 kgs for me. I thought the machine was wrong because I was sure I'm stuck at 83. But wrong. When I made measurements today, I had infact lost 2 kgs somewhere in the last week. My home weighing machine showed 81 kgs too. I quickly measured my waist and surprise! I'd lost 5 cms. And this is at night at 12 o clock. So I'd be even smaller in the morning :D

End of Week  |   0 |   1 |W|   2 |   3 |   4 |   5 |   6 |   7 |   8 |   9 |  10 |             |     |     |e|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Weight (kgs) |  83 |  83 |e|  81 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Waist (cms)  | 104 | 104 |k|  99 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Pull Ups     |   0 |   0 | |   0 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Squats       |  35 |  40 |O|  45 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Push Ups     |  12 |  17 |f|  19 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |Plank (secs) |  31 |  40 |f|  54 |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |     |

Steady improvements in the test workout too. I was able to hold myself in plank for a whole 15 seconds longer than the last time. But still no improvement in the pull-ups. I have only one week preparation period left and I've to do pull-ups before that. This weeks' focus is pull-ups.

Also I'm gonna try quitting smoking again tomorrow. I have one last cigarette with me. I'm gonna go ahead and smoke it now. I read in a book that I should focus on the nastiness of the cigarette during my last ritual cigarette. I've had too many last-ritual cigarettes now :/. I know that even though I've to quit for my own good, I actually enjoy cigarettes and the reality is I'm quitting something that I actually enjoy.. however evil it's consequences may be. I've to be strong tomorrow. At this point, even one day without smoking would be something I'd rejoice.

I've to go back to waking up early from tomorrow.

And did I mention I've lost 2 kgs and 5 cms.? :D

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 19 : Failed Again

I was holding up only till 11 O Clock. Someone called me for a smoke and I just couldn't say no. This sucks. I quit cold turkey about 7 years back and then stayed quit for 6 years. I started again last year, but it's so much harder to quit this time.

I'm trying again tomorrow. I'm going to try cutting back slowly this time. For the next 3 days, I'll skip the cigarettes I have on the way to work and back to home. I'll be skipping 2 or 3 cigarettes this way. I've already stopped the first cigarette in the morning since I began this workout program. So by cutting the ones on the way to work, I'll be down 3 or 4 cigarettes a day. I'll do this for the next 3 days and then cut some more.

And yeah.. did today's workout. Only two more to go - the prep-workouts will be over this week.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 20 : Nothing much

Rest day today. No workout. I kept control of diet. Didn't smoke on the way to work or back to home. But it actually worked the wrong way. I ended up smoking more than usual. This is not going to work. I guess cold turkey is the only way.

Day 21 : Pull Up Frustration

Today was the last-but-one prep workout but I'm still not able to do even a single pull up. I'm able to lift myself up if I bounce a bit with my feet but I'm not able to lift myself up completely either. It's as if I could do only the middle portion of the pull up - not the starting nor the ending. I can't begin level 1 of the workout program unless I'm able to do pull ups. Only a few days left now.

Day 22 : Jump Rope

I find myself motivated even on these rest days to workout. But I also like the 3 workouts per week pace. It helps to keep it easy. So I decided I'd do some light activities when I feel motivated at times other than the workout days. I've already stopped using the elevator at work. I go up and down 4 floors using the stairs. 4 or 5 times a day. I've always like jumping rope. So I grabbed my old skipping rope and did around 150 jumps tonight. I was panting and sweating in a matter of about two minutes.

Also I tried quitting smoking again today. I'm still able to hold up only till around 11 O Clock in the morning. It gets totally irritating and restless by that time. I just have to smoke. I was almost going to shout at my boss today when I gave up my attempt.

No Smoking From Tomorrow

Day 23 & 24 : Workout Skip

Something very important at work. I had to work almost 18 hours a day for the past two days. I had to skip workouts. I wasn't able to wake up before 8 at all and I had to go back to work as soon as possible after waking up. Besides, I have decided to extend the prep period by one more week. The reason is I'm not able to do a pull-up. The book says, I should not begin with the main workouts till I can do atleast 5 pull-ups. I'm not going to follow the prep routine in the book. I'm going to look up the internet and the nerdfitness guides for workouts that target the pull-up muscles and abs. I'm also going to switch to daily workouts till next Friday. I can do crunches but I don't do them with proper form.

Two goals for the coming Friday -

1. 5 pull-ups - Pull-up and related exercises on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

2. 5 crunches - Crunches and related exercises on Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Adding up this extra prep week and the 3 days I took before I started the original prep workouts, I'm increasing this program period from 70 days to 80 days. It's my 80 day program now.

No Smoking From Tomorrow