5 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Just to check:  have you ever been tested for allergies?

Yes! When I was very young. I turned out to have a killer dust allergy, which has been dealt with. My comment about the neck is in reference to developing a goiter, which is where an underactive thyroid freaks out and swells up because it's not getting what it needs.

OTOH, further casual research including finally finding an endocrinologist answering the question and a pubmed study seems to throw doubt on the idea that soy foods (whole as opposed to processed) have any effect on the thyroid at all. The big concern seems to be all about getting iodine, which as previously discussed is not really an issue for me.

12 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Writing night sounds fantastic!

Yeah! I've taken to cranking out 500 words a day on my lunch break and the world just feels better when I do that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kishi said:

OTOH, further casual research including finally finding an endocrinologist answering the question and a pubmed study seems to throw doubt on the idea that soy foods (whole as opposed to processed) have any effect on the thyroid at all. The big concern seems to be all about getting iodine, which as previously discussed is not really an issue for me.

FWIW, I am soy agnostic on this point. I figure that while it clearly isn't straight-up poison, it is super unqualified to be a major protein player vs chicken, beef, bacon, or black beans. Its best trick is an alternate for peas. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

10 minutes ago, Urgan said:

FWIW, I am soy agnostic on this point. I figure that while it clearly isn't straight-up poison, it is super unqualified to be a major protein player vs chicken, beef, bacon, or black beans. Its best trick is an alternate for peas. 

Plants in general are an interesting cocktail of chemicals, both helpful and not, such that making any single one of them a real staple on its own is likely to have some side effect in studies, if not necessarily in your own non-statistical life. After all, we're playing a little game with them of "how much I want to eat you, versus how much you don't want to be eaten", and unlike animals, all they have are chemical weapons.

(Except chard, which is clearly a safe staple, as it's what my garden is giving me in quantity, and is thus exempt.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

7 minutes ago, Urgan said:

That's fair. If I wasn't trying to go Mostly Meatless, I'd see no real reason for them myself. But I'm trying to, so I've gotta go looking for protein where I can find it, and soybeans are one of the few whole sources available on this path. (hemp being another one, but that's heckin' expensive).

Of course, dairy and eggs are also possibilities, but I'm held up by two things - 1) my body's ability to process fats, and 2) my underlying low key attempt to alter my diet and lifestyle to bend around environmental pressure. So.

3 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Plants in general are an interesting cocktail of chemicals, both helpful and not, such that making any single one of them a real staple on its own is likely to have some side effect in studies, if not necessarily in your own non-statistical life. After all, we're playing a little game with them of "how much I want to eat you, versus how much you don't want to be eaten", and unlike animals, all they have are chemical weapons.

(Except chard, which is clearly a safe staple, as it's what my garden is giving me in quantity, and is thus exempt.)

And coffee's, which either backfired horribly or was the very best idea to convince another species to perpetuate it outside of natural competition. It's all about perspective, I guess. Yeah trying to live with one food sustaining a single (or multiple..... * shudder * ) macro is begging for a new food intolerance. 

2 minutes ago, Kishi said:

That's fair. If I wasn't trying to go Mostly Meatless, I'd see no real reason for them myself. But I'm trying to, so I've gotta go looking for protein where I can find it, and soybeans are one of the few whole sources available on this path. (hemp being another one, but that's heckin' expensive).

Of course, dairy and eggs are also possibilities, but I'm held up by two things - 1) my body's ability to process fats, and 2) my underlying low key attempt to alter my diet and lifestyle to bend around environmental pressure. So.

If I were forced to go meatless for a duration, it would be a rainbow of beans incoming. It's got cheap and fiber going for it.

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

26 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I mean, if you're doing the vegetarian/vegan thing, there's no real way around dealing with protein combining. Very, very little is going to be a complete source, and wouldn't contain enough per serving to get your protein solely there. So I wouldn't sweat the complete proteins, just figure out the basic combination rules so that the meal is complete, even if the components aren't. (This is why you'll find every culture has a beans-and-grains dish. Speaking

of grains, I think quinoa might be complete.)

And if it's the fat that worries you about dairy, non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese might be your friends. All those body builders can't be wrong. Though getting them to taste good is harder.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

26 minutes ago, Urgan said:

And coffee's, which either backfired horribly or was the very best idea to convince another species to perpetuate it outside of natural competition. It's all about perspective, I guess. Yeah trying to live with one food sustaining a single (or multiple..... * shudder * ) macro is begging for a new food intolerance.  

Yeah, caffeine must be a toxin to something that liked to eat the seeds of the coffee plant, probably some insect or worm. I guess for fruiting plants, making the fruit as awesome as possible and the seeds as indigestible as possible is the survival trick. It probably didn't intend for monkeys to like its seed poison so much they'd grind up the seeds beyond all hope of germination. But at least monkeys do agriculture now.

It is a monkey poison in quantity, though, proving the old saying about it being the dose that makes the poison. There is a dose that will stop your heart. Coffee beans would be a terrible bean protein source because of the associated death.

2 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, caffeine must be a toxin to something that liked to eat the seeds of the coffee plant, probably some insect or worm. I guess for fruiting plants, making the fruit as awesome as possible and the seeds as indigestible as possible is the survival trick. It probably didn't intend for monkeys to like its seed poison so much they'd grind up the seeds beyond all hope of germination. But at least monkeys do agriculture now.

It is a monkey poison in quantity, though, proving the old saying about it being the dose that makes the poison. There is a dose that will stop your heart. Coffee beans would be a terrible bean protein source because of the associated death.

Indeed. Caffeine speeds up everything, including digestion. My understanding is, you're not getting all the nutrition from your food, you're making waste that has to be hidden if you aren't at the food chain apex, aaaaand you are jittery and restless which if lying still and quiet and resting is necessary that makes for a Bad Time. Only a top predator wouldn't care about these things as much.

19 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I mean, if you're doing the vegetarian/vegan thing, there's no real way around dealing with protein combining. Very, very little is going to be a complete source, and wouldn't contain enough per serving to get your protein solely there. So I wouldn't sweat the complete proteins, just figure out the basic combination rules so that the meal is complete, even if the components aren't. (This is why you'll find every culture has a beans-and-grains dish. Speaking

of grains, I think quinoa might be complete.)

Yup. "Beans and rice is very nice." :D Quinoa, hemp, and chia are other good easily available sources around here. So is soy. Which puts us right back on square one.

20 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

And if it's the fat that worries you about dairy, non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese might be your friends. All those body builders can't be wrong. Though getting them to taste good is harder.

Well, that's one part. The other part, like I said, has to do with environmental concerns. While beef and red meat production appear to be the biggest offenders, dairy is just adjacent enough for me to be like, "Hey, if I can get my calcium somewhere else, maybe do that?"

Also, like you say, low fat stuff is hard to make taste good.

1 minute ago, Urgan said:

Indeed. Caffeine speeds up everything, including digestion. My understanding is, you're not getting all the nutrition from your food, you're making waste that has to be hidden if you aren't at the food chain apex, aaaaand you are jittery and restless which if lying still and quiet and resting is necessary that makes for a Bad Time. Only a top predator wouldn't care about these things as much.

And if you're tiny enough, the difference in dose from "recreational speed" to "life threatening speed" is probably a minute quantity. A couple of chomps of that tasty seed, and you're worm sludge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Urgan said:

If I were forced to go meatless for a duration, it would be a rainbow of beans incoming. It's got cheap and fiber going for it.

Cheers to that.  And beans have iron!!!!

It is more difficult to get calcium from non-dairy sources.  You'll need to go fortified for that.  Oat milk is surprisingly good if you're checking into dairy replacements. 

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Wednesday down!

Wednesday wound up being a day for writing. I did some work on the writing at work, and then worked on some of the homework assignments at the friend's house. It was good times. This is where the tension really starts, in terms of how to balance getting words on the page versus planning those words out. It's a place I've been needing to go to.

Anyway, beyond writing and drinking, there really wasn't much. Quiet nights like that are good, and I'm glad for them.

Also, looks like I'm going to Galaxycon, the rebranded version of the Raleigh Supercon. AKA the Con that started this whole mess. I told the sci-fi buddy that it was happening and mentioned that the DO would probably be there, and he and his wife were like, "Nah, fam, if you gotta run from them, we got you."

I trust them. #FamousLastWords

Anyway, today's docket would like to be Karate and BJJ, because I am not interested in maintaining loyalty to this place for one and for another it'd be good to get out there and spend more time on the mats. But of course, just because it's planned, doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

Also, looks like the seams are popping on the draw strings for one pair of pants. Need to look into getting that stitched. Fun times, man.

• Like 4

I'm glad to hear the writing class is going well. Yay for nailing the first assignment!

On 7/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, Kishi said:

You know, I actually hadn't thought that I should avoid being alone with her, but now that you point it out that's really the best possible move I think. I want to think that I'm being unreasonable and blowing this out of proportion, but... I really don't think I am. And I do think that I would be trusted if push came to shove, but I think it. I don't know it.

It's a shame. I like these other people, for all that they're a bunch of problems I have to put up with, and for all my insecurities about having to earn my place (something which to be clear has never been articulated to me and which I've built up in my head). This growing need for distance... it's necessary, but it makes me really sad.

Yeah. I think you two are right. Part of me feels guilty for growing distant, but I can't shake the feeling that it's the right thing to do.

Heh. I'd worry about hurting their feelings, but I doubt they'll even notice I'm gone.

Ouch, that is a bad sign.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:43 AM, Kishi said:

Sunday had some issues with the Dramatic One and I need to preface a little bit. So she's divorced, but she's got kids who she loves very much and so she wound up with custody this weekend. I'd been invited out Saturday to see them; I noped out because I'm kind of neutral on kids as a whole and also she's the Dramatic One. She does have some mental issues to boot and tends to spiral from time to time, so she spiraled pretty hard on Sunday when she had to take her kids back. She tried to call me, I ignored her, and then she put me on blast in the FB group we're a part of. The other dude - the Emotionally Dishonest One - caught her on that one, but I'm trying to reach out to one of them who helped the DO get moved here so I can explain what's going on and be transparent about things.

And of course no response yet. Disappointing, but I should have expected that.

Good for you for not being at Ground Zero for Le Drama. Considering how much fallout you got from a reasonable distance, it was clearly the right choice. Now to get some distance on social media too. You are not her primary support person. She has no earthly reason to expect you to be spending your weekend on FB. You can say "sorry, I was busy doing things with my family" with not a twinge of guilt.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, Kishi said:

I mean, maybe. I also know that they talk amongst each other and it's not really clear to me who's in on what conversations. Sure, if I speak up, I'm playing into her hands, but if I don't speak up then she gets to manipulate the perception of me. And if they're willing to believe her without coming to me, then yeah, they're no friends of mine, but I don't think she should just get to get away with that.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:44 PM, Kishi said:

Yeah, and that's kind of how I feel. Like I'm isolated by my interests and that's led to me being isolated in terms of my connections with these people. It's not a nice feeling. :(

I understand you wanting to preserve your reputation in case you can keep some of these people you like as friends. Checking in with people individually is a good plan.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:18 AM, Kishi said:

And Shepherdess was like, "I can understand that and you need to take care of yourself first." And she went on to say that when DO had her spiral on Sunday, she had hoped that everyone in our group of friends would come around her like we had before and when we didn't she decided that we were all fake friends and now she's thinking about moving back to GA. I didn't say that maybe she should because that would be cruel, but admittedly it would solve some problems for us.

Anyway, this turned out to be a good move, and I know that Shepherdess will filter this out to the others in time. It's also interesting to see how well-regarded she thinks I am, as opposed to my own paranoia about that; the fact that there's this disconnect is really giving me pause to wonder if I'm being unfair in response to the unfairness that I think has been shown me. Like, have I really been communicative about that, and have I really given them the chance to correct?

Several years ago something similar happened in a group of my friends. A person we know from a town a couple hours away was having relationship issues and drove up for the weekend at the last minute. They messaged to see if any of us were available to hang out. There was an audible whooshing sound as everyone had somewhere important to be for the weekend. No one wanted to get drawn into the drama. FWIW, the person and their spouse worked it out and things are fine now.

I think most people who have been around the block a few times will be sympathetic with your choice to keep your distance.

57 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Also, looks like I'm going to Galaxycon, the rebranded version of the Raleigh Supercon. AKA the Con that started this whole mess. I told the sci-fi buddy that it was happening and mentioned that the DO would probably be there, and he and his wife were like, "Nah, fam, if you gotta run from them, we got you."

I'm glad your other friends have your back. :D 

• Like 1

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

17 hours ago, Mistr said:

I'm glad to hear the writing class is going well. Yay for nailing the first assignment!

Yeah! Now gotta try and do the next one. Lots more work this time around.

Ouch, that is a bad sign.

Yeah. I dunno if that's me misreading things or what, but there's gonna be a get-together tomorrow and the DO will be there and I'm gonna work not to be and honestly, I don't think my absence will draw much comment. Although I suppose if DO means to lay out some grief, that's probably when/where she'll do it.

Good for you for not being at Ground Zero for Le Drama. Considering how much fallout you got from a reasonable distance, it was clearly the right choice. Now to get some distance on social media too. You are not her primary support person. She has no earthly reason to expect you to be spending your weekend on FB. You can say "sorry, I was busy doing things with my family" with not a twinge of guilt.

Pretty much. Like I said, I can phone in a lot of the business stuff that people need from me without having to actually be there. And like I said, there's this part of me that thinks I'm just someone they keep around for useful labor that doesn't have value to them in and of himself. And if that's all they want from me, then they can have it.

(to be clear, I don't feel that anywhere near as acutely as I did at first, but) I have nothing to feel guilty about.

I understand you wanting to preserve your reputation in case you can keep some of these people you like as friends. Checking in with people individually is a good plan.

Seems to have been!

I think most people who have been around the block a few times will be sympathetic with your choice to keep your distance.

One can only hope. I'm glad to hear things worked out for your friend. :)

I'm glad your other friends have your back. :D 

Yeah. They're really good people, and I'm thankful that I know them.

So how did Thursday go?

Didn't make Karate but did make BJJ. I got to work late on account of having to get the car over to the local shop to get the oil changed, and I had a case that I could work toward closure at the end of the day that I knew if I didn't work with I wouldn't get the chance to see again. So I stayed, and that cost me the chance to go.

I'm having lots of Thoughts and Feelings about the training lately. I love karate and I like the school I'm in, but I'm really chafing against the traditional nature of it and the one class I'm able to make - the fight class - is mostly just kids whose parents are trying to wear them out. I don't mind helping with them, but it kind of feels like I'm an unpaid babysitter and that's not what I signed up for. Not to mention that, frankly, I know a lot more about fighting than most of my seniors, and while nobody's been condescending or rude about it it's kind of tiresome to have a white belt and be able to point out places where what they're doing is sub-optimal.

I've thought about leaving and going somewhere else. There's apparently a couple of kickboxing gyms - real ones, not cardio places - and I want to check them out, but I'm a little leery as they talk about value rather than price, which means the price is high. Doesn't help any that they're a BJJ school to boot (although I happen to have met the teacher who taught their blackbelts, and he's actually super cool, so I'm willing to believe that these are cool people too).

So it's conceivable to me to go train with them, go to the odd fight night at the karate school, and keep on my grappling practice. But I can't really do any of that right now since the only free night is Tuesday, and that's taken by writing.

Man. I just want to get punched in the face. Is that too much to ask? :D

At least BJJ was good. It was really good, actually. We worked on back position and chokes. I tapped the one, and the Professor was nice enough to give me a couple. I'm honestly more excited about the fact that I was able to go on the attack at all; his advice to me about being more explosive was right on the money, and I want to keep working on that. So. It was a really, really good night.

So, yeah.

Tonight should be strength work, but there are rumors of open mat becoming a thing on Friday nights and I sure would hate to miss out. So, it might go one way or it might go another. Having to choose between two good things - what a problem!

• Like 4

I'm glad the writing class is going well. :) 

27 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I've thought about leaving and going somewhere else. There's apparently a couple of kickboxing gyms - real ones, not cardio places - and I want to check them out, but I'm a little leery as they talk about value rather than price, which means the price is high. Doesn't help any that they're a BJJ school to boot (although I happen to have met the teacher who taught their blackbelts, and he's actually super cool, so I'm willing to believe that these are cool people too).

So it's conceivable to me to go train with them, go to the odd fight night at the karate school, and keep on my grappling practice. But I can't really do any of that right now since the only free night is Tuesday, and that's taken by writing.

Well, it doesn't hurt to check it out at least. Sounds like it might be a pretty cool place. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Man. I just want to get punched in the face. Is that too much to ask? :D

#lifegoals :D 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, Jupiter said:

I'm glad the writing class is going well. :) 

Thanks, me too. I was afraid it wouldn't. :)

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, Jupiter said:

Well, it doesn't hurt to check it out at least. Sounds like it might be a pretty cool place.

Yeah. And I think I will get there at some point. It's just that the nights that that training is available are taken right now - they have two schools in the area I know about and they're about equidistant from me. One has beginner and advanced kickboxing classes, with beginner classes on Tuesday and Thursday and advanced classes on Monday and Wednesday. And while I'm never gonna say that I'm too advanced for the basics, if I went and they decided that there was a ceiling on how I could progress, it's not like I'd be able to make Monday/Wednesday classes because, well, I have friends, and they want to meet those days.

The alternative option is a mixed class on Tuesday/Thursday which would be more in keeping with what I was doing before it all blew up, but even then, if I wanted to keep up with my BJJ practice, I could only do Tuesdays. In theory, I could do Tu/Th and keep up with BJJ as their schedule includes an hour of grappling before an hour of kickboxing, and I'm at least 90% sure that Professor would be cool with it as he's doing lots of extra rolling and so is his apprentice/ranking student.

So. I dunno. Could be cool either way.

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

#lifegoals :D 

Damn right.

Friday down! Not much to report. Went to the gym. It wound up being a Night of Nuance, trying out different variations just to see what they felt like and if I wanted to make any adjustments. Tried out Zerchers in place of Front Squats for a couple of sets for what basically amounted to Reasons, but ultimately I think I'm going to stick to the Front Squatting I've been doing. I thought maybe it'd be more challenging, but for me I find that the Front Squat lets me explore a further range of motion and challenges my posture way more.

I'm also trying to figure out how to feel the Full Contact Twist in my obliques a bit more than I do - right side feels fine, but left doesn't. I think I may be finding it a little bit based on how I adjust the position of my feet, but that's going to take some time to figure out.

Hit the Armor Complex at the end and smoked myself before it was time, but was able to hit 6 'reps' per minute which is the goal pace as Dan John explains it. Not bad, man, not bad.

Today, I'm at work putting in some OT on my caseload. Because this is a good use of my time since I'm getting paid. :) Apparently the get-together tonight amongst the friend group is off on account of the DO - for whom this was proposed - noped down to GA to hang out with her husband. I have my thoughts on why they're doing that, but whatever. Hopefully it works out to her staying down there.

Might go for a run later as I've hit everything else and there's no rolling today. Could stand some yoga as well. /shrug. We'll see how the day unfolds.

• Like 3

So, Saturday just wound up being a rest day. It was one of those days I've mentioned before where the essayists were just more interesting than anything I really wanted to do.

I made up for it some on Sunday. I got some of my writing homework done, I did my handstand work, did Ab Wheel Planks, and went to BJJ afterward. Had good energy; taught the white belt whom I reliably tap how to get out of the place where I reliably tap her, so there goes my taps. Also had to go with a judo blackbelt who has a blue in BJJ, is stronger and a lot heavier, and knows how to use all of those things. He's a good guy, but it kind of sucks that I can't find my way to applying anything on him based on the lack of skill.

Oh well. There's a reason this journey is supposed to take a while.

I think I missed a doctor's appointment today? I dunno. Have to double check on that; my mind's been pretty pre-occupied between work and the writing class and drama, and I completely lost track of dates. Oops. It's not for anything acutely wrong, just med management and such.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Had good energy; taught the white belt whom I reliably tap how to get out of the place where I reliably tap her, so there goes my taps.

Martial Arts: Teaching You How to Hurt Me Better and Get Out of My Techniques.

6 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Also had to go with a judo blackbelt who has a blue in BJJ, is stronger and a lot heavier, and knows how to use all of those things. He's a good guy, but it kind of sucks that I can't find my way to applying anything on him based on the lack of skill.

Strength, Size, and Skill. The deadly triangle.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Urgan said:

Martial Arts: Teaching You How to Hurt Me Better and Get Out of My Techniques.

A Love Story

18 hours ago, Urgan said:

Strength, Size, and Skill. The deadly triangle.

Hai. Like most things in life, you generally only need two of the three to be a bad time, but if you get all three? Oooooh.

So I got back home and checked and I definitely missed my doctor appointment. Whoops.

Got through the rest of the work day - it was one of those where Kishi Couldn't Make A Right Decision, perhaps you've had something similar - and got out to gaming. That wound up going late, but it was a good time so I didn't mind. No training, though.

Normally, I'd compensate by doing tonight, but I signed up to donate blood this morning, so all exercise is proscribed for the next minute or so. As happens from time to time. Still, not a fan of this missing two in a row business, and with Wednesday being a day of drink and merriment... mm. Not cool, man.

Still, life is like that sometimes. It's not the end of the world and sometimes you gotta roll with it. So that is what we will do.

• Like 5