Hello everyone! I hope you all enjoy storytime!

Nineteen years old and at 5'8" - I have been terribly unhealthy for as long as I can remember.

The first weight recorded that I became aware of was 236lbs. The worst part? I was in 6th grade. With time, I wiggled up toward 250lbs, where I seemed to have leveled off at.

Then came mental illness, in ways I'd never had before. Medication and horrible habits from previous experience did not help my case.

Boom, I was at my highest.

"303lbs" was what the scale read at the mental health crisis center this past November. Maxed out on things like lithium, with others to make it a true, supposed "happiness" cocktail - and guess what? I was at rock bottom.

I needed a second opinion (in fact, I have at least five professional opinions, now). My diagnosis was wrong. So naturally, the meds were wrong. I stayed a little while at the center, and made a huge turn around. I went from piles of medication to birth control and vitamins. It's been a month+... I feel great and hope to help that process continue.

tl;dr - I wasted years of my life being treated for something that was absolutely incorrect, and I'm paying for it. So it's time to fix things. I'm currently 294lbs, as I started taking control as soon as I got my head back on straight.

I stumbled upon this site and figured I'd give it a try. After lurking a bit, I see how supportive you all are, and I wanted in on that. Can you blame me? :)

Minnie, Level 1 Half-Vulcan Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 4

"Only a fool trips over what is behind him."

Welcome!

You sound a lot like myself.

I had to medically withdraw from a whole semester of classes my second year of college. I kept being told, "Oh here, you have this", "Oh, you actually have this", "Well, you really actually have this", and medications being thrown at me. I threw out the medications after about two months every time. Why? They didn't help me. And I spiraled from there.

It's unfortunate, but some doctors aren't doctors to help people. A lot of them get incentives from pharmaceutical companies for throwing out prescriptions for their products.

So forget the diagnosis that you're broken and you need to be fixed. You probably only really need a little buffer and a lot of elbow grease to make you shine.

Defröck Level 1 Human ScoutSTR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 2.25 | WIS 1 | CHA 3

N1 Challenge ~ N2 Challenge

Welcome!

You sound a lot like myself.

I had to medically withdraw from a whole semester of classes my second year of college. I kept being told, "Oh here, you have this", "Oh, you actually have this", "Well, you really actually have this", and medications being thrown at me. I threw out the medications after about two months every time. Why? They didn't help me. And I spiraled from there.

It's unfortunate, but some doctors aren't doctors to help people. A lot of them get incentives from pharmaceutical companies for throwing out prescriptions for their products.

So forget the diagnosis that you're broken and you need to be fixed. You probably only really need a little buffer and a lot of elbow grease to make you shine.

So funny that you take interest in my post, because I had just finished reading on yours a little bit ago, thinking the same thing. However, I'm new to forums and this website in general, so I was nervous about replying. Gonna have to break that habit.

I actually started my first semester of college this past fall, and had to withdraw as well for medical reasons. It's quite horrible, really. I imagine it was even worse for you, considering you had already gotten a hang of it and then you're interrupted. Hoping that since I seem to have cleaned myself up, I can try college again this spring. Did you make it through, going back to college, or...? How did all of that go? Forgive me if you've written that out somewhere already.

That last sentence made me smile/tear up. So lovely to see there's someone who can relate. Doctors are a gamble where ever you go. Some you meet are genuine, some aren't.

Thank you so much for your warm welcome.

Don't worry too much about being nervous. I myself like to lurk around and get a feel of the situation before putting myself out there. Breaking out of a shell just takes some time and effort. Everything worth doing takes effort.

I was able to stay on campus, because I was a Resident Assistant at the time, and they knew everything that was going on and worked with me. The semester immediately after withdrawing (Spring 2009) I finished, but not without dropping my GPA with a C and a D. Then I transferred to a different university that was closer to my family, but still two hours away, and a bigger city, and I finished out my last two years there. Spring semester 2011 was hard, especially after I took classes full-time during the summer to make up for that withdrawn semester and really had no long break between. There were several times where I was so far behind that I just wanted to give up and not finish. Boy am I glad I pushed myself, because that walk down the aisle May 7, 2011 really made up for all of the stress, heartache, and tears. I still earned my degree in four years, despite everything.

I kept telling myself I couldn't do this, that, anything. It's a bad attitude, and of course you're not going to be able to do something when you tell yourself it's impossible. Just remember to play good mind games with yourself =)

Defröck Level 1 Human ScoutSTR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 2.25 | WIS 1 | CHA 3

N1 Challenge ~ N2 Challenge

Not too much information.  I'm glad they finally stopped with all those meds and that you're ready to take control.  You can do this.  I think you'll find that an improved diet and some activity will help lift your mood a lot.  I've been battling depression, and I've found that it helps me to be supportive of others, so don't be afraid to make some posts.  Here is a thread that you might find helpful; you are not alone here.  Welcome to the rebellion. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Greatly appreciated, Laureleye. I've been trying to find an affordable way of eating, as well as healthy. It's difficult. I live with my mother for the time being, and she has her own life long issues with food and poor habits that I can't change. Being so heavy, I've recently gotten a Wii to use for things like DDR as exercise (and successfully). I also intend to start using the "Beginner Body Weight Circuit" workout as instructed. 

I'll certainly take a look at that thread; I have a long journey ahead of me. Your encouragement means a lot. Thank you.

I'm glad you approve of those exercise choices, Athena. I don't get much feedback in my home, in general. If anything, I get doubt. But that's that, and that's also why I'm here - to be with people who will support change and my journey. I have played with some chicken stir fry/veg recipes, and it's actually become a regular in my house. So I've got that down! I know for a fact that healthy alternatives don't have to be tasteless. I've just got more convincing to do with my mother.

But the focus, selfishly, will remain on me for a while; as I transform and get a hold of my body. I very much intend to be involved with the next six week challenge. I have my goals ready. :) I realize I have to grade myself - how exactly does that go? Is there a thread for that?

A new 6 week challenge will be starting up soon, you might like to jump in with the Adventurers, who have a focus on weight loss and beginner fitness. You set 3 diet/fitness goals, and one life goal (*not* related to diet or fitness) that you want to achieve in the six week time frame. It's a great way to really focus on what you want to achieve, and to help build new habits, and a good place to gather some online support.

Yes!  Definitely jump in on the 6-week challenge.  There are loads of ideas around as far as what's the "best" way to get nerdily fit.  Take a gander at what's recommended (and make sure you're reading the blog 'cause Steve has lots of great info, including the current post that tells how to eat healthy on a low budget), and then find what works for you!

It sounds like you're familiar with getting a lot of incorrect opinions, so I'm glad that you're moving in a healthy direction.  We will be here cheering you on!  (In the Adventurer's forum, in my case.)

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

I intend to, Lydieboo! :) I definitely am used to such, unfortunately. I'm hoping the fog will clear, with the help of this community. I will see you for sure, in the Adventurer's forum!

Hi Minnie, I'm glad to see some other people who have had/currently have mental health difficulties on the forums as I also have some mental health problems. Hopefully we can all support each other. It's great that you've managed to get off the meds and are feeling better. Having experienced a range of anti-depressants I'm very sceptical about their effectiveness. Taking things one small step at a time and, as Defrock said, playing good mind games with yourself are the best things.

This might sound a bit strange, but is your birth control is it the pill? If it is, have you tried not taking for a month of two to see how you feel? I know that the pill is something that triggers of major depressive episodes for me and I've heard of other people have similar experiences, so it might be worth coming off it for a while to see if it has a positive effect on your mood. Sorry if that was a bit outline.

Also big congratulations for getting stir fries to be one of your houses regular meals, making progress with diet is a big achievement especially if the people you live with aren't very supportive.

Good luck!

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

Hi Minnie, I'm glad to see some other people who have had/currently have mental health difficulties on the forums as I also have some mental health problems. Hopefully we can all support each other. It's great that you've managed to get off the meds and are feeling better. Having experienced a range of anti-depressants I'm very sceptical about their effectiveness. Taking things one small step at a time and, as Defrock said, playing good mind games with yourself are the best things.

This might sound a bit strange, but is your birth control is it the pill? If it is, have you tried not taking for a month of two to see how you feel? I know that the pill is something that triggers of major depressive episodes for me and I've heard of other people have similar experiences, so it might be worth coming off it for a while to see if it has a positive effect on your mood. Sorry if that was a bit outline.

Also big congratulations for getting stir fries to be one of your houses regular meals, making progress with diet is a big achievement especially if the people you live with aren't very supportive.

Good luck!

So sorry I haven't gotten to this post until now!

Firstly, thank you for replying. I also feel glad when I see others who have dealt with mental health issues, or still are. Adds a level of comfort to the community, for me.

Your question is not strange! I'm actually on a pill called Jolessa. This is the first birth control I've been on. I have been on it since late November 2012. From what I feel currently, it has done nothing but good for me. My current diagnosis is cycle related. It's the most reliable diagnosis I've gotten (4+ professional opinions on such), compared to my original diagnosis (1 "professional" opinion) that everyone disagrees with.

I'm available for support if you need it, truly - good luck to you as well! Thank you. :) 

Nineteen years old and at 5'8" - I have been terribly unhealthy for as long as I can remember.

The first weight recorded that I became aware of was 236lbs. The worst part? I was in 6th grade. With time, I wiggled up toward 250lbs, where I seemed to have leveled off at.

Then came mental illness, in ways I'd never had before. Medication and horrible habits from previous experience did not help my case.

Boom, I was at my highest.

"303lbs" was what the scale read at the mental health crisis center this past November. Maxed out on things like lithium, with others to make it a true, supposed "happiness" cocktail - and guess what? I was at rock bottom.

I needed a second opinion (in fact, I have at least five professional opinions, now). My diagnosis was wrong. So naturally, the meds were wrong. I stayed a little while at the center, and made a huge turn around. I went from piles of medication to birth control and vitamins. It's been a month+... I feel great and hope to help that process continue.

tl;dr - I wasted years of my life being treated for something that was absolutely incorrect, and I'm paying for it. So it's time to fix things. I'm currently 294lbs, as I started taking control as soon as I got my head back on straight.

I stumbled upon this site and figured I'd give it a try. After lurking a bit, I see how supportive you all are, and I wanted in on that. Can you blame me? :)

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

I'm not the kind of person who skips ahead; I read the whole story.  ( I love story time!).  You've got one hell of a story there, Minnie.  I think your attitude is awesome, especially considering the circumstances.  Though I don't have much in the way of personal experience to relate towards your own story, I can say that I'm impressed with how you are dealing with the situation; determination to help the situation instead of wallowing in depression for elements out of your control.

You came to the right place for support.  The community here is amazing.  Athena (unsurprisingly, as she's awesome) beat me to the punch about directing you to the upcoming 6 week challenge; I strongly recommend getting into it, as it's an amazing way to start immersing yourself in the community, learn the available resources, and develop a network of peers who can give you a hand up when you need it, or a kick in the butt when that's appropriate as well.

Welcome to the rebellion!

TheRedWriter

Level 3 Doppelganger Ranger
"Think not that you have to win. Think instead that you do not have to loose."
STR 8|DEX 4.5|STA 11|CON 6|WIS 6.5|CHA 5

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

I'm not the kind of person who skips ahead; I read the whole story.  ( I love story time!).  You've got one hell of a story there, Minnie.  I think your attitude is awesome, especially considering the circumstances.  Though I don't have much in the way of personal experience to relate towards your own story, I can say that I'm impressed with how you are dealing with the situation; determination to help the situation instead of wallowing in depression for elements out of your control.

You came to the right place for support.  The community here is amazing.  Athena (unsurprisingly, as she's awesome) beat me to the punch about directing you to the upcoming 6 week challenge; I strongly recommend getting into it, as it's an amazing way to start immersing yourself in the community, learn the available resources, and develop a network of peers who can give you a hand up when you need it, or a kick in the butt when that's appropriate as well.

Welcome to the rebellion!

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. After the many years of fighting mental illness (and still am), you eventually learn, 1) to have that sort of attitude (or else, everything will go to ruins - and quick), 2) Wallowing in depression only makes it worse, especially if you surround yourself with negative thoughts on a consistent basis (ex: depressing music 24/7). So in order to resist being surrounded by negative thoughts, I want to change what causes the most negative thought processes I have: my body.

I appreciate your welcome. <3 I'm so pleased with all of the support that's being offered. It's very encouraging. :)

*hugs* 

It's hard when the cards are stacked against you but you sound like you have the determination to get your life to where you want it to be!! 

-hugs!-

Thank you! <3

Minnie!

Sorry, I was not ignoring you on AIM. For some reason it doesn't alert me when people message me and I'm on mobile.

Don't let other's doubt weigh you down. In fact, it should encourage you to prove them wrong and become who you want to be!

Hi Defrock! I had a feeling you weren't, no worries. I will try messaging you again when you're online. If you'd like, I could send my AIM name in a message and you could IM me when you feel it's convenient.