• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So, I am a 27 year old college student and I am looking for a paleo buddy to exchange recipes, provide each other motivation/support, and maybe just someone to chat with about the whole paleo journey. My best friend and roommate are both far from healthy eating/paleo and they just get bored when I start talking about my paleo struggles and triumphs. lol.

I also want to learn how to do heavy lifting and try to incorporate a more primal style workout into my fitness routine (to replace the cardio and bodyweight workouts that I have been doing) So if you're knowledgeable on that subject, or want to learn with me, that gets you bonus points! ;)

Ooh! I wanna join!

I'm a 22 year old college graduate and looking to restart my paleo journey. I went paleo 9 months ago, and did Whole30 twice, and for the past 2 or 3 months, I've gone absolutely horrible. So, starting tomorrow I am doing the Whole30 again, following that up with (what I believe is) 99%+ paleo (I used to be at that point for months until I fell off the wagon). I'm also starting to lift heavy, as a matter of fact my first Stronglifts workout is in 4.5 hours.

I also love to cook and am completely willing to share recipes, provide support if you provide motivation, and generally chat about everything.

What do you mean by "a more primal style workout"? I may be in for that too, I like the sound of it.

Hey!

Can I join you guys in this? I'm new to this site and new to paleo but my new years resolution is 100% paleo for 30 days. As someone who has never even stuck to an 80% paleo diet for more than a week and a half, this is going to be a challenge for me. But I'm determined to do it, and hopefully this will actually continue on past the 30 days, but lets start small. I'm currently on student exchange in Germany, and can't afford a gym, so I can't actually do any weight training. Which is why I really want to get my diet under control. I signed up for the impossible abs paleo program so I have some awesome recipes from it that Id love to share :)

Are you starting this immediately? I'm starting on the 2nd of Jan.

:) Bek

Hi!  Can I join you too?  I am 36 and just started my transition to paleo.  I have a husband and son that are not 100% on board, so it's a challenge.  My goal is 80% paleo transition within 30 days and 100% paleo transition in 90 days.  I know that there will be days that make that difficult, but I'm determined.  I don't want to join a gym, but I just signed up to take martial arts classes with my 6-year old.  The first one kicked my butt.  We live in sunny Florida, so I'm hoping to get some additional outdoor activities fit in somewhere.  I work full time as an environmental engineer, so that makes time management difficult for preparing recipes and fitting workouts in.  I love to cook!  I would love to exchange recipes that work (and taste good).  My favorite paleo recipe book so far is Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan.

If y'all are starting a paleo/primal lifestyle accountabilibuddy group, I would love to join if you're still accepting members!  I'm 30 years old (well, for 15 more days anyway) and I've been paleo/primal since July 2012.  

I did my first Whole30 for the November 6wk challenge, and that ended on Dec 11.  From Dec 12 through now I have been mostly primal with some holiday treats (sorry, don't care how much research there is against grains, I'mma eat my mom's fruit-and-almond Christmas bread every Christmas morning, and I'll enjoy it!).   :)  I have really enjoyed my holiday treats in moderation, but boy can I feel the difference since going paleo!  Sugar especially has done a number on me the past couple of weeks...I'm just not used to eating it and holy crap, I feel the sugar buzz waaay more intensely now.  I am definitely ready to get back to my usual clean eating habits.  I am doing my second Whole30 starting Jan 7th (actually probably start tomorrow, as I am planning to do a big Well-Fed style cookup this weekend).  I am a HUGE fan of the Whole9 way of life, and I was gifted "Well Fed" for Christmas so I am super stoked for this W30.

Always looking for new recipes and support from like-minded friends, as IRL those around me are skeptical at best and downright confrontational at worst about the primal lifestyle.  I've given up talking about it with them, and instead I just let the results speak for themselves.   ;)

I'd be in as well.  I've been primal since July of last year and I've been loving it.  I'm on the hunt for more recipes with this 6 week challenge and I'd be more than happy to share whatever I find.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Primal workout," I'm hung up on bodyweight stuff, I just keep upping the difficulty as time goes by.  Before last summer I never exercised and now I'm working out in some way 5 or 6 days a week.  I'm really looking forward to getting outside again in the spring so I can do my circuits out there.  I just need to find the right tree branch now that I've moved up to pullups.

Note: I do mean primal instead of Paleo, I do keep a bit of dairy in my diet.

Hi Everyone! yes! of course you can all join! :D I am so glad to have found some people to be in on this with me. I know most everybody probably started their new diets and exercize routines on the 1st, but I am a little late to the game. Its going to start tomorrow for me. Leadchipmunk, your story sounds verrrry similar to mine. I was paleo for several months and doing well, and then I have been eating terribly for the last couple of months, so it seems like we could probably really help each other out a lot!

Just as a little disclaimer, I haven't ever started a group like this, or even really been IN a group like this, so forgive me if at times I seem lost. lol

Super happy to have everyone on board!

So how have the first few days of the new year gone for everyone?

So how have the first few days of the new year gone for everyone?

So far so good. I started Whole30 on the 1st, which wasn't the best idea since we had very little good food and less money to get some. So, the first day or two were rough, but now after payday I'm doing pretty good.

With the Stronglifts, it is going good. I had to start my barbell rows at a lower weight (45lb instead of 65) because my form was off at the higher weight. And today I messed up my math and jumped up my squats by 15 pounds instead of the 5 I was supposed to.

Recipe: Had these brussels sprouts and bacon yesterday. I didn't use the balsamic vinegar, but it would be good with it.

Wow, I hope you didn't hurt yourself with those squats! o_O

Can you tell me a little bit more about what you do for your workout? The problem I'm having with working out is that I used to do Insanity 6 days a week, but now my roommates are on completely different schedules, and I can't really work out in the house anymore because it wakes them up. I have a gym available to me at my apartment complex, and I want to start doing some heavy lifting, but I'm a little intimidated and I'm not sure where to start.

I did a very successful whole30 in October, but immediately following it is when I fell of the wagon completely (you can read that story here if you're interested: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/21947-whole30-win-followed-by-2-months-of-epic-failure-now-what/ ) so I have been going back and forth about whether I wanted to try it again. Tonight I decided that I really do want to have another shot at it, so I am going to commit to starting my whole30 tomorrow.

and I am going to try that recipe! =)

The squats weren't bad, I'm still below what I could do as a working weight since I just started the program this week. It just means when I stall, it will be 2 days sooner.

My workout is the Stronglifts program (linked to in my first post, but you have to sign up to get the program. It is free though.), basically it is 5 lifts. Squat, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press and deadlift. I workout 3 time a week and have 2 workouts I alternate between each day. First is squats, bench and rows. Second is squat, ohp and deadlift. Start with just the bar's weight (should be 45 pounds) on everything and each day that you do the exercise, add 5 more pounds to it. Everything is 5 sets of 5 reps except the deadlift is 1 set of 5.

That is pretty much it for the lifting part. I highly recommend getting the report from this link and reading through it. You can ignore the hundreds of pages of testimonials, the main meat of the report is between pages 35 and 49.

Oh, and I also add in a quarter mile run on the treadmill before my lifting just for the hell of it.

Good luck on your Whole30 and subsequent WholeLife!

May I suggest either recreating this topic into the new challenge forum or having a mod to move this thread over? That way more people will be able to find it and join up.

Also at348pm, don't forget to sign us up as a group Accountabili-buddies here.

I'm stoked for this accountabilibuddy group!  I am officially starting my Whole30 on Monday Jan 7 with the challenge, but I am doing a huge meat and veggie cookup today and tomorrow, and clearing the house of non-W30 foods, so I will probably actually be eating totally W30 as of tomorrow morning.

I have a big pork roast in the crock pot now, for slow-cooked shredded pork all week.  Smells UHMAYZING in here.  :)  My body has been clogged up with sugar and gluten for the past 3 weeks so I am really, really, REALLY looking forward to the detox and getting back to clean eating.

Good luck to all in the group!  :)

Sambie, how do you like doing the big cookup? I've never really tried it and am much more of a fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to meals, but that occasionally leads me into trouble with not having anything available to eat or not being in the mood to cook a meal and deciding to sleep my hunger off (it never works by the way, but when I wake I'm usually hungry enough to make myself cook).

Thanks for the help Chipmunk. I'll get us all signed up as a group a little later today.

Do you guys think we should have some sort of a group name?

Sambie! It sounds like you've really got everything set up for this challenge! I wish I could clear my house of non-W30 foods, but I don't think my roommates would appreciate it very much. haha. I decided that I will also be starting my W30 officially on the 7th for the challenge, and am planning on doing a lot of prep/cooking tomorrow because school also starts for me on the 7th.

Chipmunk, I used to do like you do and just figure everything out as I went along, but I got hung up easily that way, and I realized last quarter that with the craziness of school, if I don't plan and cook ahead, things start to suck really fast. lol.

What are your thoughts on coffee during whole30? I read that coffee is approved (without cream or sugar, of course). When I was doing paleo, I ended up quitting coffee because I had so much natural energy, but I have been drinking it A LOT lately, and I'm not sure if I want to quit cold turkey or try to ween myself off..

I see no problems with coffee. but you might want to read Whole9's coffee manifesto. They have some good points that can be summed up as such:

• If you’re not currently a caffeine user, don’t start.
  • Limit your consumption to 1-2 cups of coffee a day, always before noon to prevent sleep disruption.
  • Your coffee pot is not a cup.  Nice try.
  • If you’re using coffee as a crutch to get through your day – or just to get out of bed – reconsider whether that is a healthy relationship.
  • We don’t think the above is a healthy relationship, thanks for asking.

Also, don't forget to drink more water to make up for coffee's dehydration.

So my roommate told me about this website today, which I had somehow missed in all of my paleo / W30 researching: http://www.thefoodee.com/

if you haven't heard of it, go check it out! its got a TON of Whole30 and paleo recipes. Once you sign up (for free) you can pick recipes that you want to cook, put them in your "shopping cart" and it will generate a printable shopping list for you. I can't believe I didn't find this sooner!

Wow this is awesome! Sorry I've been absent, been doing all the touristy things around Germany while Im on holidays. So its day 4 of my 30 days 100% paleo and it's been interesting. But I know Im overloading on fruit. Lack of carbs and sugar has made me a little crazy, and I CANNOT stop eating fruit to compensate. Ive been through 2 weeks worth of fruit in the last 4 days :S no more left. Im not planning to buy anymore until my next shopping trip. What do you guys do to stop yourselves caving into things? I seem to have noooo self restraint :S 

Sambie, how do you like doing the big cookup? I've never really tried it and am much more of a fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to meals, but that occasionally leads me into trouble with not having anything available to eat or not being in the mood to cook a meal and deciding to sleep my hunger off (it never works by the way, but when I wake I'm usually hungry enough to make myself cook).

Oh, I have to do the big cookup on weekends.  Winging it doesn't work for me, as I have learned the hard way.  If I don't have prepped food in the house, I am much more likely to go out when I am hungry, and that means I'm more likely to cave into stuff I know I shouldn't eat.  So now I make sure I always have prepped meat and veggies.  I do a big roast in the crock pot (pork or beef) for shredded meat, and I also cook up a pile of plain ground meat....these can then be made into quick meals by adding veggies, fats, herbs/spices, eggs, etc.  I also often roast up squashes ahead of time and put them in the freezer in baggies, so I can defrost a single serviing whenever I need it, rather than being faced with the prospect of roasting a whole squash for an hour when I am already hungry. If I'm digging eggs a lot one week, sometimes I'll boil up a dozen and keep 'em whole in the fridge in a bowl; easy to grab and peel one for a meal or when I am hungry but don't want to cook.

And, I keep a bag of dessicated coconut flakes in my pantry, to be made into homemade coconut butter at a moment's notice.  That can get me out of a food funk any day.  :)

Thanks for the help Chipmunk. I'll get us all signed up as a group a little later today.

Do you guys think we should have some sort of a group name?

Sambie! It sounds like you've really got everything set up for this challenge! I wish I could clear my house of non-W30 foods, but I don't think my roommates would appreciate it very much. haha. I decided that I will also be starting my W30 officially on the 7th for the challenge, and am planning on doing a lot of prep/cooking tomorrow because school also starts for me on the 7th.

Chipmunk, I used to do like you do and just figure everything out as I went along, but I got hung up easily that way, and I realized last quarter that with the craziness of school, if I don't plan and cook ahead, things start to suck really fast. lol.

Yesss, we need a group name.  Hmm....any suggestions?   (sorry, my house is so cold right now that all I can think about is how cold my hands are typing this, and no awesome name ideas are coming to mind...)  :)  Once we have a name, we need a thread in the accountabilibuddies forum for this challenge, too....they might archive the old challenge forums after the new one starts.

Well I clear the house of non-W30 food as much as I can...at least I get rid of the stuff that's a real temptation for me. J is not paleo, but he likes stuff I don't like so that's not a huge deal.  I can't keep chocolate or other things I like in the house while I am doing W30...I do not have a good enough handle on my stress levels to avoid caving into a craving when I am stressed from work, etc.  So I clear 'em out and that way the only foods I really have around me are W30-approved.  And I agree, stuff goes downhill super quick if you don't have food prepped.  :)

Wow this is awesome! Sorry I've been absent, been doing all the touristy things around Germany while Im on holidays. So its day 4 of my 30 days 100% paleo and it's been interesting. But I know Im overloading on fruit. Lack of carbs and sugar has made me a little crazy, and I CANNOT stop eating fruit to compensate. Ive been through 2 weeks worth of fruit in the last 4 days :S no more left. Im not planning to buy anymore until my next shopping trip. What do you guys do to stop yourselves caving into things? I seem to have noooo self restraint :S 

Bek, I offer no advice just companionship. I'm eating out of a 2 pound bag of raisins as I'm typing this.

I survived my paleo transition on refrigerated prunes.  :)  I'm working hard now on not relying so heavily on fruit/dried fruit, but yeah, it's a helpful stepping stone to get your body off processed sugars.  Now adays, I drink a big glass of water with lemon whenever I want some fruit.....if that doesn't work, I'll have a mug of sweetish tea (like blueberry herbal tea, no sugar, everything paleo-approved)...if that doesn't work, I figure I need to get myself busy doing something to take my mind off it, OR, maybe I'm actually hungry so I'll eat a good paleo meal.  When I first went paleo, my worst moments were right before meals....I was actually hungry and my brain went right for craving grains, sugars, and processed stuff.  As soon as I ate my paleo meal of meats,veggies, and fats, the cravings were satisfied.

Another thing I sometimes use in a pinch is homemade coconut butter....just sweet enough to kill a bad craving, and full of good fats.  Add some macadamia nuts to it and holy hannah montana, you've got yourself a treat.  :)

No ideas with names, I'm just not too great with things like that.

But I just remembered something about fruit and sweets cravings, a lot of the time it is your body confusing need for fats with a want for sweets. Try eating something with some fat in it and see if that helps..

I know what you mean! When I did my first W30 I was so worried because I knew I was eating too much fruit. Its hard not to when you're on the go all the time. I often used fruit to keep myself from cheating with other things, so I figured even though it wasn't ideal, the fruit was still a good compromise. There are some other things you can eat if you are having a really bad craving, including these http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/12/02/paleo-mug-cakes/ mug cakes. If you omit the sweetener they are even technically whole30 approved. There has been some debate about these kinds of treats though, because while they are clean, some people think they may perpetuate cravings. So that is something that you will have to judge for yourself. I had a couple of them on my last whole30 and I felt like I was being a hardcore cheater. lol.

The other thing I like to eat when I am having bad cravings is canned (unsweetened, of course :) ) pumpkin with coconut milk, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. and sometimes with a few crushed almonds or a small sweet potato baked with olive oil, a little salt and a LOT of cinnamon

Yesss, we need a group name.  Hmm....any suggestions?   (sorry, my house is so cold right now that all I can think about is how cold my hands are typing this, and no awesome name ideas are coming to mind...)  :)  Once we have a name, we need a thread in the accountabilibuddies forum for this challenge, too....they might archive the old challenge forums after the new one starts.

For lack of a better name (or any suggestions, haha!) I named us team Awesome-fantastic. And I'm pretty sure that I got us all set up in the accountabili-buddies section under the rangers tab. I'm still a little new at all of this though, so if there is something else that I am missing, please let me know :)

And one more thing, you can freeze roasted squash?!?! How do you freeze it? I know that feeling of coming home from work and feeling like I will NEVER survive an entire hour waiting for a squash to cook. lol

So, I moved our group to the cross-guild section on the spreadsheet because I wasn't sure what guild everyone is in. I also posted a thread in the accountabili-buddies forum for us.

I'm guessing some of you guys are in colder weather than we have down here.  This is my favorite soup recipe.  It's very easy if you have an immersion blender.

Roasted Carrot Soup

Ingredients

1lb.    fresh carrots (washed & trimmed)

1        small Vidalia onion (peeled)

3 c.    chicken broth

1        14oz. can coconut milk

1tsp   red curry paste

½ tsp curry powder

½ tsp ground coriander

Salt

Fresh ground black pepper

Fresh parsley (chopped)

Directions

~       preheat oven to 390 degrees

~       rough chop carrots & onion; coat with olive or coconut oil and salt

~       roast carrots & onion for 30-45 minutes, until golden and tender

~       blend together all ingredients except salt, black pepper & parsley in a pot, until smooth

~       bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes.

~       salt & pepper to taste

~       garnish bowls of soup with parsley.

There are some other things you can eat if you are having a really bad craving, including these http://www.thewannabechef.net/2011/12/02/paleo-mug-cakes/ mug cakes. If you omit the sweetener they are even technically whole30 approved. There has been some debate about these kinds of treats though, because while they are clean, some people think they may perpetuate cravings. So that is something that you will have to judge for yourself. I had a couple of them on my last whole30 and I felt like I was being a hardcore cheater. loled squash?!?! How do you freeze it? I know that feeling of coming home from work and feeling like I will NEVER survive an entire hour waiting for a squash to cook. lol

Whole30 is against paleo-izing foods or what they call sex with your pants on. But after the whole30, feel free to enjoy something like this every once in a while.