Marshall's Challenge

Eating:

Breakfast-2 eggs with bacon

Snack-walnuts and some pineapple

lunch-salad with chicken

Dinner-salmon with steamed carrots and asparagus

After dinner-peanut butter sandwich and milk

Exercise:

Pullups-I decided to bail on the fiftypullups.com program, and instead I started the 50pullups.com program (kind of a subtle difference). Anyhow, I started on the 9-11, day 2, and it felt fine.

Seated dumbell press 3x5x45--Pretty heavy, but it felt good.

dumbell squats-3x5x23--This was too light to feel like much of a workout, but last time I did legs my knee was bothering me. I need to figure out a way to work my legs with dumbells without hurting myself--I wish I had a squat rack.

Planks-3x60 seconds. These were tough, but I think I'll switch to 1:15 for next time.

Eating:

Snack- walnuts and apple for snack

Lunch-salad with diced chicken breast

Dinner- I picked up a delicious looking NY strip steak on the way home, got it ready, and then realized after 20 minutes of preheating the grill that I was out of propane. I put the steak in the fridge and settled for the next best thing--a peanut butter sandwich and a pear, with some milk.

Workout:

20 minutes of intervals on the recumbant bike. It was really tough to get the motivation to exercise tonight. I kept putting it off, and finally at 11:45 I decided that I was unwilling to miss a day. "Just this once" is all the excuse I need to miss a few days a week, then most days, then stop exercising together for anther 10 months. I had a good workout, and I consider it a big win that I exercised at all.

Eating:

Snack-walnuts

lunch-salad with walnuts

Dinner-baked ground beef and vegatables

Exercise:

Pullups-50pullups.com 9-11, day 3

Dumbell bench press: 3x5x47.5

Dips-9,9,6

Planks-first one was 1:15, then I was toast for the next two, only got :45 each

Eating:

Lunch-Chicken thai stir fry

Snack-nuts

Dinner- NY strip steak with asparagus, carrots, and a bit of mashed potatoes. I had a glass of milk with dinner as well.

Exercise:

Rest Day!

Eating:

Breakfast-2 eggs

snack-walnuts and an apple

lunch-salad with chicken breast

dinner-crock pot chicken, brown rice, asparagus

after dinner-a couple slices of whole wheat banana bread. Not particularly healthy (lots of brown sugar), but as a dessert for family night this was much healthier than the alternatives.

Exercise:

After taking the week off of running I got back on the treadmill. My foot felt pretty good, although I felt like I had lost some of my endurance. After a warm-up I did 2 laps at a 6:00 pace, then half at 10:00, 1 at 6, half at 10:00, 1 at 6:00 half at 10:00, 1 at 6:00, then cooldown. I then did 5 minutes of intervals on the recumbant bike.

Eating:

Snack-walnuts and 1/2 apple

lunch-salad with diced chicken breast

Dinner-salmon, brown rice, steamed carrots and broccoli

Exercise:

Pullups-50pullups.com 9-11, day 4

seated press: 3x5x47.5

dumbell squats: 3x5x47.5

Planks-first one was 2 @ 1:00, 3rd was 1:15

I woke up today with a bit of a sore throat. In the past getting a cold has been the death knell for my healthy regimes. Knowing my history, I've been mentally preparing myself to push through this--even if I do get sick enough that I don't work out, if I can get back on my regime on the other end it will be a huge victory.

Eating:

Breakfast-2 eggs

dinner-tacos with black beans and corn tortillas

after dinner-thin slice of banana bread, a couple green olives, and a few sunflower seeds.

Exercise:

Running on the treadmill. after warming up, I did 3 laps at 6:00, then .5 lap at 10:00, lap at 6, .5 lap at 10, lap at 6, .5 at 10, then 5 minutes of intervals on recumbant bike. Running felt pretty good, and I think I'm getting closer to being able to do 4 laps at 6:00. However, while running (and afterwards) my calves felt very sore.

Eating:

Snack-walnuts

lunch-ran out of lettuce, so I had a tuna sandwich instead of a salad. I think I might have the tuna sandwich more often.

Dinner-baked tilapia, baked shrimp, a serving of whole wheat pasta, and steamed veggies. topped with a bit of garlic-butter sauce.

After dinner-1/2 peanut butter sandwich and milk

Exercise:

Pullups-50pullups.com 9-11, day 4 --We had some friends unexpectedly drop by after my 3rd set, and they stayed for about half and hour. That kind of messed up this portion of my workout.

Dumbell bench press: 3x5x50

Dips-9,9,9--that's a marked improvement over last time, when I was only able to get 6 on my last set. I'll go for 3 sets of 10 next time.

Planks-3 @ 1-minute each. The third was pretty tough.

Eating:

Breakfast-2 eggs

lunch-Tuna sandwich

dinner-Steak, steamed veggies

Exercise:

Running on the treadmill. after warming up, I did 2 laps at 6:00, then .5 lap at 10:00, lap at 6, .5 lap at 10, lap at 6 then 5minutes of intervals on recumbant bike. My calves were really sore again (although the soreness was mostly gone by the morning). The hardest part is the mental challenge of running on the treadmill. I really think I would do better outside--maybe I'll try an outside track next week if the weather is nice (it's supposed to be in the 50's a couple days).

Eating:

Breakfast-2 eggs with bacon, mushrooms, and red pepper--I got a bit fancy this time

Snack-nuts and fruit

lunch-Salad with diced chicken breast

Dinner-Banana whole wheat/oat pancakes

After dinner-a few green olives.

Exercise:

I went to the park with my kids this afternoon and had a good time running around, sliding, doing some monkey bars, etc. Nothing too strenuous. I did take a few minutes to climb around on the chain-link fence for practice towards one of my big fitness goals for the year. It really kills the hands/fingers. I'm hoping that finger toughness is something that can be developed through training.

Pullups-50pullups.com 9-11, day 6 --I did not quite get the 10 pullups on the last set --I got 8 with good form then I pooped out. I guess I'll try day 6 again next Monday.

Dumbell seated press: I did a set of 5 at 50 lbs, then I got 2 reps into the next set and hit a wall (I kind of saw this coming). I went down to 45lbs and did my 3rd set of 5. I'll try to build back up and get past 50, but if I stall at 50 again (I'll do 47.5 next time), I think I'm going to switch to handstand pushups.

Squats-3x5x45.

Overall it felt like a great workout, even though I did not get through all of my planned exercises. Going to failure actually feels really good sometimes. On the other hand, I've had a slight cold the last few days, and perhaps part of not getting all the weight up was due to that.

Eating:

Breakfast-2 eggs. I had a meeting this morning at 7:15, so I had to get up extra early to make sure I had enough time to get a good meal in. That was tough, but I stuck with my eating plan.

Lunch- nuts, fruit, peanut butter and honey sandwich

Dinner-chicken stir fry with veggies

Exercise:

Rest day! Good thing, too, because I'm still feeling on the edge of a cold (more on the cold side), so I think my body can use a bit of rest.

Eating:

Breakfast-I think I've started to feel a bit of "food fatigue" with the daily eggs, so I had some oatmeal instead. I actually liked it, so I think I'll work those in going forward.

dinner-spaghetti and steamed veggies

Exercise:

Ran on the treadmill. After warming up, 3 laps at 6:00 pace (about 1 lap in I accidentally pulled out my safety stop, which shut down the machine and gave me an unintential 15-second rest until I could get back up to pace), then .5 lap at 10:00, 1.5 laps at 6:00, .5 at 10:00, then 1.5 at 6:00. I think this is the fastest/farthest I've gone so far--onwards and upwards!

I finished up with 10 minutes of intervals on the recumbant bike.