• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hennagrrrrl

Hennagrrrrl's 28-Day Challenge

A bit about moi:

Real name Natasha, live near San Diego

Two or three fitness/diet related goals:

Alternate cardio days with strength-training days

Limit portions and no 2nds or tasting during cooking.

Replace 3/4 grain stuffs with beans/lentils/veggies. Spaghetti squash is my new friend.

One goal that is not fitness related, but related to leveling up your life:

Rally enough freelance work to pay my portion of the mortgage.

Other stuff:

I have a variety of exercise dvds, neighborhood walking routes and a ton of home fitness equipment that I just pulled from the shed -- a fitness ball, stretchy bands, free weights, a kettle ball... I plan to use these instead of letting them befriend the spiders in the shed.

Food will be a big challenge. I love to cook. I love to eat. I like to cook while eating. Plus my dearest usually gets home around 7pm, but when he has research deadlines or late office hours, he can get home much later. We like to eat dinner together...so waiting and getting hungry then overeating is at least a once-per-week issue.

* Challenges you expect to face when trying to achieve these goals (posting them will make you think about them, and then be better prepared when they come up )

Did good with fitness today, but made pizza from scratch tonight. Hubby's research was featured in a press release and we had to celebrate. I didn't have to eat the cheese and pepperoni while compiling the pizzas....but I did. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day.

Yay fitness and homemade pizza! The crust and everything? Ambitious woman! When I have a delicious-but-high-calorie item, I try to have a salad with it. The green stuff helps fill my belly!

Was today a cardio or strength day?

Today was a cardio day -- and I did a 15 min dvd before breakfast and then a more substantial hour right before lunch. Today is Chinese New Year's -- and I do love to celebrate by cooking -- so we had dumplings (trader joe's frozen -- not so unhealthy...) and then a stir-fry with lots of bok choi, red bell peppers and sugar snap peas with brown rice (healthy) and then steamed lotus seed paste bun (healthier than fried)...

Tomorrow is strength day -- I'll be making quiche for dinner with salad so dinner should be OK calorie-wise...

You stir-fry sounds yummy.... you appear to be on point in both exercise and food department! From the sounds of it you should be the official cool of team 7!! :) Great job!

Weigh in was a reality check. Up 1 lb, but down 2 inches!!! And yesterday I tried on my size 12 jeans and I can wear one of them again!! (the regular short...none of the petite sizes...still, I will seize victory where it is MINE!)

Brute session yesterday: weighted squats, push-ups, and a core yoga dvd that whipped my tummy....then we celebrated hubby's research making the local news by getting local bbq.

Dinners are my weakness. But I did manage to resist the sweet potato pie -- this guy makes the BEST SP pie ever.

So, tonight will be quiche....unless the DH gets home early, in which case he'll be grilling burgers and veggies.

There's no point in me trying any radical new way of eating...I think about raw every now and then....but it would require too much extra prep to make 2 kinds of meals...and I already have enough craziness trying to make more healthy meals within DH's taste parameters....

It's good to be able to fit into 2 more pairs of jeans...but my arms are still too large to wear a few former fave t-shirts.

Oh well. I didn't gain all this weight overnight -- it just seemed that way....

Today was a rest day for exercise -- so I didn't do too much except fix some tiling on the wall and do some basic yoga stretching.

Good day for food, though. Veggie spaghetts tonight and I switched half my pasta with spaghetti squash...yum!

I think the next week will be C S C S C S Rest... got a henna gig up near LA on Wednesday; I;m going to need lots of the alertness I get from cardio to make it through the drive during rush hour.... that, and some really great music. Bellydance music is perfect for OC traffic -- happy and energetic. Although, I might branch out into some bhangra or bollywood since I'm supposed to be in "costume"... nice thing about Indian salwar-kameez; they are really loose where the female body poofs -- so flattering at any size... :)

I know a few Bollywood dancers, and a few Indian and Indian-American women. I've always loved the look of the salwar-kameez. I've never seen anyone look anything less than gorgeous in one. Never tried to wear one though. Might have to change that one day. :)

I've also never actually tried spaghetti squash. I wonder if it actually does taste anything like spaghetti.

Weight gain can sometimes seem over night ...Surprise....But loosing is can seem kin to a stubborn child wrapped around us refusing to let go!! Two new pairs of jeans are like a metals of honor!! Congrats!!

Indian clothing is so beautiful. Part of my husband's family is from India so we had a wedding reception with me wearing a salwar-kameez. It was beautiful but it was covered in sequins and the sequins killed me after a few hours...I cannot image driving in traffic wearing one! I am looking to buy a new one w/o sequins but there are too many to choose from!!

I have been out here working as best I can. Did my cardio on Monday (1 hour), then just the basics for strength yesterday and 1 hour of cardio today.

I am so glad I thought to add strength training -- I was able to do 2 real pushup yesterday!!! Woot! And then 12 girly ones.... the upper body gets so weak so fast if you don't do something!

My salwar kameez only has beading, no sequins and only around the edges -- hems of the pants, bottom of the tunic, around the cuffs of the sleeves and a nice elaborate necklace thing.... It's supposed to be cold tonight so I might just find that long underwear I only use once a year when visiting in-laws on the Eas Coast.... I know 45 is not really cold, but if you're sitting outdoors in a tent, it can be....

I'll try and take some photos - may not be allowed -- this sounds like one fabulous party!

I haven't actually bought one....I've traded for a few and the one I'm wearing tonight was picked out for me by one of my henna colleagues when she went to India -- I did pay her back, but I didn't ahve to choose -- that would be like letting me loose in peanut brittle store...

Oh pictures would be great (if allowed :) )..You are going to have to give us the details on the fab party!

I bought my salwar kameez in Berkley CA with husband's family. The shop was amazing and I had such a problem choosing because they were all so amazing! I can't wait to buy another!.

Keep up the greatness!

Posted Image

The evening was spectacular. Unfortunately, the hired help do not get fed, so I had a snickers ice cream bar on the way there, and then snagged a few petit fours during the event... but other than that, it was great!

Lost another 2 lbs this week -- down to 173 -- I was 180 on Jan 3. Woot!

I've been negligent in posting -- tough sharing a 'puter....but I have been putting in the work, and it's nice to get results -- so I'm even more motivated to keep going!

Gotta go be a good spouse now. I'll probably be able to check in sometime Sunday or Monday...

Yes, I am the one with the glasses. Had a diet lapse yesterday -went out to dinner with the hubby -- sort of a peace offering... being unemployed is a major stressor ==esp. sine the Uni is discussing removing his department again...the only way they can fire tenured professors who are doing a good job....

Did good workouts yesterday and today -- and we even had a veggie dinner tonight. On the other hand, I think I blew a job interview this morning...but then again, he DID ask me if I were healthy, and I responded that with my new hips I was ready for anything...

Now I'm wondering why he asked if I were healthy...