Chapter 2: Roast Mutton

OrangeJorwell

I am a Lord of the Rings nerd.  So when the timing worked out and I found out about the last challenge right after I joined, I decided to call it An Unexpected Party.  Because that's what it was.  And at the end of the first chapter in The Hobbit Bilbo hadn't changed much, but he had changed a little, and I'm in a similar situation.  So I've decided to design my goals around chapter 2 of that book: Roast Mutton.

For those of you that haven't read The Hobbit in a while (I'm assuming everyone has read it, because it's awesome), the chapter starts with Bilbo waking up after his unexpected party and finding the dwarves gone.  He spends the morning lounging around, glad that the adventure is over, but secretly a little sad that he didn't go with them.  Gandalf then shows up and tells Bilbo that he must leave immediately to meet the dwarves.

"You will have to run," said Gandalf.
"But-" said Bilbo.
"No time for it," said the wizard.
"But-" said Bilbo again.
"No time for that either! Off you go!"

Goal 1: Meet the dwarves at the Green Dragon
-Run twice a week
--My plan is Tuesday and Saturday
--Must continue doing CrossFit 3-4x per week
-1 DEX 4 STA

After meeting the dwarves, they all set off on their journey, with Bilbo not having too hard a time, though he (and some of the dwarves) aren't overly happy about the food situation.  

"[They] shared the hobbit's views about regular meals, plenty and often."

And of course, as things tend to go on adventures, one of their ponies bolted and lost all of its baggage which was, of course, mostly food.  So after that, the party had to start rationing their meals and planning them out so as to make the food last.

Goal 2: Rations
-Eat 3 or less non-Paleo meals a week.
--3 non-Paleo "snacks" (e.g. can of pop, small bag of chips, etc.) count as one meal
-4 CON

Suddenly, they come across three trolls in the wild.  Bilbo overhears them talking.

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer," said one of the trolls.

Alas, they managed to catch Bilbo, though the hobbit had a plan.

"I am a good cook myself, and cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean."

Goal 3: Cook for the trolls
-Cook at least 7 new Paleo meals
-2 CHA

Gandalf did, of course, manage to save them.  The chapter ends with the party going on with their adventure.

The hardest thing Bilbo had to do during this chapter was find the courage to try and steal William's purse.  He would never have usually tried that sort of thing, but he was trying to prove that he could be a burglar.

Goal 4: Career change
-Write my resume and apply for at least 5 jobs.
-2 WIS 2 CHA

Also during this challenge:
100 Burpee Challenge

Stats (As of 1/2/13)
Weight:     158.8 lbs.
Body Fat:  20.4%   (Taken from a scale, so probably inaccurate, though hopefully consistent)
Neck:         15
Bicep (L):  12.5
Chest:        42
Waist:        35.5
Thigh ®:  22
Calf ®:     15

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

Ack! The above post was by me, not some random "guest elastigirl" Apparently that is what happens when you forget to sign in. And then you can't edit because you are a guest. Oh well, life goes on

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Love the way you are tying your goals right into the book! It works amazingly well. Best of luck this challenge.

Level 1

0%
0%

Food Goal #1: 5 Servings of Fruits/Veg for 30 Days

13%
13%

Fitness Goal #1: 5000 Steps for 30 Days

3%
3%

Life Goal #1: Keep a Room in Peak Shape for 30 Days

3%
3%

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and compliments.  It made me smile.  Kind of like this --> :D

I updated the first post because I forgot to put in my stats, so that should be there now so I can compare it to the end of the challenge.

So far all I've done is eat Paleo (but I'm 100% for the past 2 days and breakfast today, so I'm excited about that), but I plan on running this afternoon since I finally got gloves and and clothes to deal with the cold.  And I probably won't have time tonight to cook a new meal (working all day, then going running and doing CrossFit and still trying to get 8 hours of sleep takes up a lot of time), but I should be able to tomorrow since I don't plan on running.  I think I'm going to try the rogan josh from Well Fed.  I figure if I'm going to try a new paleo recipe, I might as well try something I've never had (or heard of, for that matter) before.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

Great challenge, great write up, great goals! BTW, I've found some good recipe ideas by following the Nom Nom Paleo blog, and I know that writer also has a recipe book/iPad app out. Good luck!

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Continued success!  Hooray!

I went running yesterday.  Well, I did a pretty easy run because I went and did CrossFit almost immediately after.  I decided that since it looks like I'll be doing that frequently (running followed by CrossFit) to hit my running goal, I'm going to do the Zombies, Run! 5k Training.  I jogged for most of the lengthy walking parts, so I'm making sure that I still get a workout.

At CrossFit I did box jumps and KB swings for my warm up.  I love box jumps because jumping high is obviously important for assassins.  As is landing quietly (which I'm very bad at right now).  And then worked on my snatch form (I'd never done them before).

I'm still 100% Paleo and doing my best to keep it that way.  If I can make it through this challenge at 100%, I'm going to buy myself something nice.  I just don't know what yet.

I haven't cooked any new meals yet, but I'm still planning on making rogan josh tonight.  I also checked out Nom Nom Paleo and bookmarked like 30 recipes I want to try, so if I don't succeed this part of the challenge with flying colors, it isn't for lack of ideas.

I haven't worked on my resume yet, either.  Maybe this weekend.  Also, if anyone knows of any places I should apply for an electrical engineering gig, let me know.  I'm thinking Chicago right now, but I'm pretty open to anywhere.  Especially other countries (although I only kind of know Spanish and don't know any other languages).

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

Zebarah--electrical engineering is my field too! I work at NASA down in Houston. Unfortunately, we've been plagued by budget cuts, so no luck here. But some of the folks who've been let go here have had good luck in the oil/gas/renewable energy sector, either here in Texas or for some of the European companies. Texas economy has been less impacted than other places, so it's been a little easier to find work here--lower cost of living too. Downside? It's *Texas*. :friendly_wink:

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Yeah, we've been hit with budget cuts, too.  Of course, my boss has taken the real hit.  He's all the way down to #21 on the list of the world's richest people.  ;)

I was actually thinking of going into renewable energy, but if any job openings pop up at NASA, let me know.  I would love to work there.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

Sounds like you're off to a great start! As for your job search, you could check Sandia National Labs or search USAJOBS. My husband says civilian scientists have great opportunities with the military.

+ 1 on this.

So after my run on Thursday I was really hungry and ate a bunch that night.  But apparently it wasn't enough because I was really hungry all day yesterday so when I got off of work I ate a very non-Paleo meal.  But even with the 1800 calories from that meal alone I'm only averaging 1450 per day since the 1st.  And that's not counting any I burned from working out and running.  So I clearly need to eat more, especially if I'm going to be running.  I also need to have some emergency foods around in case I find myself in desperate need of food again.  Anyone have any suggestions for quick Paleo calories?

Of course, that also means I didn't make my own dinner yesterday.  But I plan on doing it today.  I'm also going to try and find a nice Paleo stew or chili to make tomorrow to use the new crockpot I got for Christmas.  And then I'll have a couple of choices for my leftovers.

I woke up this morning and thought, I don't feel like doing much.  I think it's going to be kind of a lazy day.  Then I got up and looked in the mirror and thought, You've had waaay too many lazy days already.  Go make breakfast and you're going for a run today, you lazy jerk.

So now I'm waiting for the cliched hour after eating before I go for a run.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

I woke up this morning and thought, I don't feel like doing much.  I think it's going to be kind of a lazy day.  Then I got up and looked in the mirror and thought, You've had waaay too many lazy days already.  Go make breakfast and you're going for a run today, you lazy jerk.

Mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all

The reply " not you not yet now go Run"

not the way i remember magic mirrors in fairy tales lol

Vampire Assassin

Lv 1

STR:3 DEX:2 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:3 CHA:3

The Quest Of Awesome

LV 1 40/100

@Questofawesome

And when they seek to oppress you And when they try to destroy you,
Rise and Rise again Like The Phoenix from the ashes
Until the Lambs become Lions and the Darkness is no more

Good for you for pushing yourself and going on a run!

Quick paleo foods: avocado, eggs, and I like to precook meat ahead of time so I can just grab it easily

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Hobbit theme!  May have to re-read it after I finish my slow journey through the Game of Thrones series.  How many chapters are in the book?  Because I dont think you should be able to stop doing challenges until you do one for each chapter!  Deal? Deal.  

I am also working on Zombies 5k, but have been sidelined due to a puzzling knee ailment, so I hope to rejoin you on that quest ASAP!  And if you get any really good paleo meal ideas, please share! Always looking for tasty things that I can eat and not feel like I missed an opportunity.

Good luck!

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all

The reply " not you not yet now go Run"

That's pretty much what happened, so I guess my life isn't a fairy tale.  Of course, I also don't have a pet chameleon named Pascal.  (Oh wait, that wasn't in the original?  And it's the wrong fairy tale altogether?  Too bad, I like Tangled better.)

How many chapters are in the book?  Because I dont think you should be able to stop doing challenges until you do one for each chapter!  Deal? Deal.  

I am also working on Zombies 5k, but have been sidelined due to a puzzling knee ailment, so I hope to rejoin you on that quest ASAP! 

19  (Is it bad that I knew that without looking it up?  No?  Excellent.)  I was actually thinking about the first chapter from Lord of the Rings the other day (A Long Expected Party) and realized how long it would be until I got there in terms of challenges.  Although I may combine some chapters.  For instance, the next chapter is "A Short Rest" and is just them at Rivendell.  And while I could think of a lot of life goals that would pertain to that city, there aren't a lot of options in the fitness and diet areas.

And as for Zombies, it's been fun.  I did week 1 day 2 today (it's the same as the first mission) and ran for the first 5 minutes of the 10 minute warm up and almost the entire 10 minute walk/jog (it tells you do whichever you're up to) at the end.  I actually walked from like minutes 2-4 or 5 and jogged the rest, which was weird and quite exhausting.  I look forward to hearing your progress and what you think of the story.

I also like to have leftovers. If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll microwave a sweet potato and mix it with a can of tuna or salmon.

I don't think that I've ever had salmon, but I can't stand the smell of tuna and don't like most fish.  I guess I should give it a try again, since it's been a while though, and it's never a good idea to discount something because of what used to be.  I really don't know why I don't have a bag of sweet potatoes lying around somewhere.  It seems like it should be a staple of Paleo people.

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

Week One Recap!

So all in all, week one went very well.

Goal 1: Meet the dwarves at the Green Dragon
-Run twice every week

-I actually ran THREE times this week!  Hooray!  Although yesterday wasn't anything to brag about, as it had snowed the night before I was a little afraid of falling having never gone running on ice before (like half of the sidewalk had frozen, so I had no idea where there was ice).  Fortunately, I spent 4 years in Michigan's upper peninsula for college, so I got used to it pretty quickly.  Then my feet started hurting from running two days in a row.  Dang, I'm just full of excuses, aren't I?  Oh well, the important thing is that I went above and beyond in week 1.  And I see no reason why I can't continue doing so.

Goal 2: Rations

-Eat three or less non-Paleo meals per week

-I only ate 2 non-Paleo, out of my goal of 3 or less.  So again, above and beyond.  (I'm getting pretty good at these challenges.  :P)

Goal 3: Cook for the trolls

-Cook a new meal every week

-Two new meals cooked!  Although one of them didn't turn out so well (I may have left the heat up a bit too high when it was supposed to simmer and all the liquid may have boiled away), but I spent the time, dang it, so I'm counting it!  

-Work on my resume and apply for jobs

-Well, it can't all be good news.  Nothing done on this front.  Although I did have a fortune cookie that said, "You will soon find yourself on a different career path."  And as awesome as that is that it actually applies to me, I'm just as happy about the fact that it was actually a fortune and didn't tell me that I have an excellent personality or something like that.

TL;DR: Went above and beyond the call of duty on the first three, and did nothing about the fourth.

Side note:  Anybody else read the Redwall series?  In one of the books, one of the hares says something like, "A and B the C of D" for above and beyond the call of duty, and so every time I hear "above and beyond" I think of that.

Updated Stats (As of 1/7/13)

Weight:     159.4 lbs. (Up .6 lbs. and the first time I've gained weight since November)
Body Fat:  17.7%   (Down 3.9%!!!!  Although it was taken from a scale, so it's probably inaccurate)
Neck:         15.5" (If it changes less than an inch, I'm calling it error)
Bicep (L):  12"
Chest:        42"
Waist:        35"
Thigh ®:  22"
Calf ®:     15"

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

-Work on my resume and apply for jobs

-Well, it can't all be good news.  Nothing done on this front.  Although I did have a fortune cookie that said, "You will soon find yourself on a different career path."  And as awesome as that is that it actually applies to me, I'm just as happy about the fact that it was actually a fortune and didn't tell me that I have an excellent personality or something like that.

TL;DR: Went above and beyond the call of duty on the first three, and did nothing about the fourth.

Side note:  Anybody else read the Redwall series?  In one of the books, one of the hares says something like, "A and B the C of D" for above and beyond the call of duty, and so every time I hear "above and beyond" I think of that.

Nice job on week 1! The fortune cookie cracks me up - you're right, so many of them now aren't fortunes at all, just random compliments or statements. Also, yes, Redwall! I hadn't thought of that in years.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I'm counting last week as Week 1.  I remember Spezzy saying in the initial announcement that people could choose to start on the 31st or the 1st if they wanted and just do a 7 week challenge.  And since I kicked ass last week, I'm going to count it.  ;)

So maybe running on consecutive days wasn't the best idea for a non-runner like me.  And choosing running over rowing at CrossFit last night was probably pretty stupid, too.  I spent last night limping around my apartment.  But my feet feel better now.  All the same, I don't think I'm going to run again until Thursday.

I ate all Paleo yesterday, so that's quite successful.  And I cooked another meal!  I got to test out my new crock pot with some Honey Apple Ginger Pulled Pork, and it was delicious.  I seriously ate half of it and only some serious self control kept me from eating the other half.  It seriously made the whole hall of my apartment building smell amazing.  And it only took like 15 minutes to prep (and I'm really slow at prep work still), so I think that's going to become a regular thing.

Still no work on the resume, but I barely had time before I went to bed.  I know, I know: Not having time isn't an excuse.  But seriously, I worked, went to the dentist, cooked a meal, and went to CrossFit yesterday.  Add that to 8 hours of sleep, and I didn't have time.  So I guess all of those things took priority over it, if you want to look at it that way.  And today, tomorrow and Thursday don't look any better for having free time.

I used to have so much free time I didn't know what to do with it.  Being healthy takes a lot of time...

Level 3 Ranger

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines