The Weapon X Project: In which a pirate becomes a mutant.

Wolverine

Say goodbye to Dillpedo and hello to Wolverine!

A new year, a new name.

"Why the switch?" you ask (or not).

Well, for many reasons really, but mostly because this year will present some big challenges for me and I want to start strong and inspired.  What better way than to pick my favorite comic book character, the mutant who I find the most inspiring?

He's short but super strong.  He's athletic but smart.  He looks great in spandex...

This is where I am now.

I indulged over the holidays.  Booze.  Cookies.  Dancing at a douchey club in full pirate gear.  It was a good break.  Put on some weight *cough cough* 5 lbs. *cough cough* and barely worked out, but also healed up my left elbow which has been in constant pain for several weeks now.  I could've been a little more moderate in my approach, but I wasn't and what's done is done.

• Height: 5 ft. 7 in.
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Chest: 37 in.
  • Waist: 29.75

01-08-2013_zps5aef0d78.png

Please excuse the puffy eyes and dorky smile. It was early.

Goal 1: Get back into a workout routine, get stronger, run. (+2 STR, +2 CON)

I will complete my morning routine at the home gym three times a week.  Mostly bodyweight stuff, with some dumbbells, a weight vest, a kettlebell, a sledgehammer, and other assorted "stuff" thrown in.  Special attention goes to increasing my pistol squat (lost a lot of ground over my break) and my handstand push-up on the parallel bars (full ROM basically = bodyweight shoulder press, which I've been dreaming about FOREVER).

I will complete my work routine at the office five times a week.  Special attention goes to increasing my pull-ups (again) using the BarStarrz Program and increasing my push-ups with the 100 Push-ups Program.  I'll do ring dips on the non-push-up days.

I will run once per week.  My route is just over 4 miles and I'd like to increase my pace and decrease the number of walking breaks I have to take (2-3 at this point).

I am allowed to make-up missed workouts and runs.

• Total number of bodyweight routines to complete: 18
  • Total number of work routines to complete: 30
  • Total number of runs to complete: 6

Goal 2: Lose weight, get jacked like Jackman. (+2 CON, +2 WIS)

This is a two parter.  I will be tracking my food over at MyFitnessPal.com and aiming for 1800 calories per day on average. My goal here is to lose weight without compromising my strength gains.  This will be graded on how closely I get to my calorie target.

Goal 3: Eat healthy, feel better, properly fuel my training. (+2 CON, +2 WIS)

I will be following the Primal diet for this one.  Whole foods.  Real foods.  No grains.  No legumes.  No bad oils.  Limited alcohol.  Limited sugar.  I will be allowing myself three "exceptions" per week.  An exception is defined as either a meal, two snacks, or two beers. If I find that three exceptions is too many or that I'm abusing the rule, I will make it more strict.

Goal 4: Take care of myself, establish good habits. (+3 CHA)

This is all about building healthy habits and bringing back some stuff that I've worked on before but really started to slack on.  I will be flossing once a day, shaving at least once a week, and drinking at least 64 fl. oz of water per day.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

For Christmas I received a pair of adjustable dumbbells and a new flat bench.  Seemed fitting to christen them during the first workout of the new year!

Warmup

*General

*Shoulder/Elbow

*If anyone has any elbow/shoulder/forearm warmup ideas I'd be grateful.  Haven't been able to find something that does the job adequately.

Hollow Hold + Superman Hold: 20 sec. + 20 sec. / 20 sec. + 20 sec. / 20 sec. + 20 sec.

Completed the following exercises in a circuit, moving from one exercise to the next, and took 2 min. rests between rounds:

Twisting Push-up16 / 16 / 16

One Arm Dumbbell Row: 20 lbs. x 15 / 15 / 15

Pistol Squat: 2R 2L / 2R 2L / 2R 2L

*Nice long pause at the bottom of the movement. No bounce. CONTROLLED.

Kettlebell Swing: 26 lb. x 25 / 25 / 25

Front + Right + Left Plank: 45 sec. + 45 sec. + 45 sec. / 45 sec. + 45 sec. + 45 sec. / 45 sec. + 45 sec. + 45 sec.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

It's good to see you again Dill... Er... Logan.  You're looking good so far on the goals.  What are you looking at for a lifestyle goal?

Have you thought of adding some kind of second diet goal?  With the surgery coming up, it might be worthwhile to give the exercise as much of a break as you feel you can afford.

Level 3/1 Wild Elf Assassin/Ranger
Owner of the Lizard Demon
STR 12 | DEX 10 | STA 8 | CON 9 | WIS 12 | CHA 7
Our motto within STG is to always expect trouble. Failing that, create trouble for someone else. -Major Kirrahe

We do not experience fear, but we understand how it affects you. -LEGION

Party: Down & Dirties
Level 1: Ranger 1
Level 2: Assassin 1

Level 4: Assassin 3

2013 Resolutions

Hey Dill! I mean, Wolverine... that's going to take a minute to get used to. Between all the avatar changes and name changes, I'm not going to know who anyone is anymore. Love the choice, though!

Wow, surgery is a big deal - looking forward to seeing you face it this challenge.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

It's good to see you again Dill... Er... Logan.  You're looking good so far on the goals.  What are you looking at for a lifestyle goal?

Have you thought of adding some kind of second diet goal?  With the surgery coming up, it might be worthwhile to give the exercise as much of a break as you feel you can afford.

It's good to have you back (even if you come with a robot apocalypse)!!!

Almost named my son Logan. True story.

I may change my second goal to "lose weight" and make my third goal "eat healthy".  I'm thinking of focusing on "whole foods".  No chemicals, no additives, etc.  Related but slightly different focus, and then I gain the benefits of a lower bodyweight for surgery and healthier fuel for recovery.

Hey Dill! I mean, Wolverine... that's going to take a minute to get used to. Between all the avatar changes and name changes, I'm not going to know who anyone is anymore. Love the choice, though!

Wow, surgery is a big deal - looking forward to seeing you face it this challenge.

I thought about waiting to change my name or not changing at all, but I really needed a boost.  Not only to get out of my holiday funk, but for some courage, as the surgery thing does have me a bit nervous (I haven't been under the knife all that much).

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I've been through way more than my fair share of surgeries (I was a bit if a mess as a kid), so I'm there for ya brother! As a show of solidarity, I should change my name to Nightcrawler, my fave x-man with Wolvie running a close second. For now, I'll simply restore the T-Rex avatar you missed.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Ouch, surgery, scary.  I'm absolutely mortified of blood, needles, surgery and such.   Best of luck preparing for it.

Thanks!

I've been through way more than my fair share of surgeries (I was a bit if a mess as a kid), so I'm there for ya brother! As a show of solidarity, I should change my name to Nightcrawler, my fave x-man with Wolvie running a close second. For now, I'll simply restore the T-Rex avatar you missed.

I've started having trouble sleeping. :/ I've only been under the knife once before and while that went well, it doesn't do much to assuage my fears. Sigh. Nothing to do but buck up and hope for the best!

I missed T-Rex!!! Glad to have him back. Thanks! :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

What worked for me as a kid (and still does as an adult) is to start memorizing funny lines from books or movies. Saying them either aloud or in your head takes your focus away from the anxiety for a minute and inspires somewhat happier thoughts.

My dad used to recite the whole Abbot & Costello "Who's on first?" bit.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Can you ask them if while they are doing  the surgery they could implant the cool steel claws in your hands? I mean as long as you are having surgery anyway...        

I think it is great that you are still doing the challenge and not using it as an excuse to just sit around and eat junk all day. Eating healthy before and after will greatly help your recovery.

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

The regen factor will be a nice touch here for sure with your procedure. I'll probably still have to think of you as Dill, though.

I'll have to keep a close eye on this challenge to help me figure out how I'll handle recovering from my upcoming procedure. Not nearly as big of a deal as yours, but I'm still trying not to be a wuss about it (snip snip, if you know what I mean). Mine is coming at a very opportune time, challenge-wise. February 18th, so I can take that week off and hopefull be good to go for the next challenge.

Good luck, brother.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

What worked for me as a kid (and still does as an adult) is to start memorizing funny lines from books or movies. Saying them either aloud or in your head takes your focus away from the anxiety for a minute and inspires somewhat happier thoughts. My dad used to recite the whole Abbot & Costello "Who's on first?" bit.

Fun idea.  I think I'll steal it. :)

Can you ask them if while they are doing  the surgery they could implant the cool steel claws in your hands? I mean as long as you are having surgery anyway...        

I think it is great that you are still doing the challenge and not using it as an excuse to just sit around and eat junk all day. Eating healthy before and after will greatly help your recovery.

Add some adamantium to the skeleton?  I like where this is going...

The regen factor will be a nice touch here for sure with your procedure. I'll probably still have to think of you as Dill, though. I'll have to keep a close eye on this challenge to help me figure out how I'll handle recovering from my upcoming procedure. Not nearly as big of a deal as yours, but I'm still trying not to be a wuss about it (snip snip, if you know what I mean). Mine is coming at a very opportune time, challenge-wise. February 18th, so I can take that week off and hopefull be good to go for the next challenge. Good luck, brother.

Thanks!  And good luck with yours!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I've started doing my static holds at work.  We have a pull-up bar (now with rings!) and I have enough room in my office to do floor work.  I set a timer, do a hold when it goes off, reset the timer, rinse and repeat.  I think I'm finally getting enough volume to make some progress.

Tuck Front Lever: 1 hold x 7 sets

• I was planning on working 3-4 sec. holds but it's been awhile and the adding of the rings really upped the difficulty.  Ended up pulling up into a fully vertical position, tucking my legs, slowly lowering to parallel, pausing, and then dropping out of the position.  Not much holding going on at this point, but I'm getting the benefit of the negative.

• Made my arm hurt.  If I weren't going on a surgery-imposed workout break in a couple of weeks, I'd consider dropping the levers for awhile.  As it is, I'll be dropping them for awhile anyway!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Tuck Planche: 5 sec. hold x 2

Frog Stand: 15 sec. hold x 7

The more advanced holds just aren't feeling right.  Hard to believe I lost this much strength in a couple of weeks off, but the proof is in the pudding and my pudding is all weak and ouchie.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I've started doing my static holds at work.  We have a pull-up bar (now with rings!) and I have enough room in my office to do floor work.  I set a timer, do a hold when it goes off, reset the timer, rinse and repeat.  I think I'm finally getting enough volume to make some progress.

Tuck Front Lever: 1 hold x 7 sets

• I was planning on working 3-4 sec. holds but it's been awhile and the adding of the rings really upped the difficulty.  Ended up pulling up into a fully vertical position, tucking my legs, slowly lowering to parallel, pausing, and then dropping out of the position.  Not much holding going on at this point, but I'm getting the benefit of the negative.

• Made my arm hurt.  If I weren't going on a surgery-imposed workout break in a couple of weeks, I'd consider dropping the levers for awhile.  As it is, I'll be dropping them for awhile anyway!

You have a pullup bar, with rings, at work?!  Consider me very jelly.

Where did/does your arm hurt?  If it is right at the bottom of the deltoid, between the bicep and tricep, chances are you are letting your shoulders collapse.  That was the exact problem I had for a very long time.  Finally finding the issue and addressing it took me back to square one on the front lever, but I'm so glad that I did, even if I lost what I thought was so much progress. 

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Advanced Tuck Planche: 5 sec. hold x 2

Frog Stand: 15 sec. hold x 7

The more advanced holds just aren't feeling right.  Hard to believe I lost this much strength in a couple of weeks off, but the proof is in the pudding and my pudding is all weak and ouchie.

Advanced?!? Tuck Planche (flat back variety?).  Did I miss that you progressed on to that variant?  I lost a little on my holds at Christmas.  Holds still felt OK and I found the groove, but I definitely lost time on all static holds.  Felt the tuck planche a little in my cuff muscles too, which was odd, and hopefully just a one time thing.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

DillLogan.

Glad you're back! Though, I'll miss my nautical compatriot. Do wolverines swim? I'm sure Wolverine could just stay under water forever with his regenerative ability. Rely on it for your recovery!

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

You have a pullup bar, with rings, at work?!  Consider me very jelly.

Where did/does your arm hurt?  If it is right at the bottom of the deltoid, between the bicep and tricep, chances are you are letting your shoulders collapse.  That was the exact problem I had for a very long time.  Finally finding the issue and addressing it took me back to square one on the front lever, but I'm so glad that I did, even if I lost what I thought was so much progress. 

Unidentified elbow joint area pain.  Hurts when I extend my arm all the way and when I bend my arm as much as I can.  Hard to tell where the pain originates.  Somewhere on the "pit" side of the joint as opposed to the outer elbow side...

Advanced?!? Tuck Planche (flat back variety?).  Did I miss that you progressed on to that variant?  I lost a little on my holds at Christmas.  Holds still felt OK and I found the groove, but I definitely lost time on all static holds.  Felt the tuck planche a little in my cuff muscles too, which was odd, and hopefully just a one time thing.

Alas, just a brain fart on my part.  Tuck planche - not so advanced.  Original post has been corrected.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

DillLogan.

Glad you're back! Though, I'll miss my nautical compatriot. Do wolverines swim? I'm sure Wolverine could just stay under water forever with his regenerative ability. Rely on it for your recovery!

His recovery abilities are a big reason for the change.

Glad to see you back and that you found my new thread and that you've forgiven me for abandoning my ship. ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Splitting workouts up a bit differently.  Going to do a bodyweight circuit in the morning 3x per week combined with BarStarrz's routine for increasing pull-ups in the afternoon 5x per week.  Haven't got the kinks worked out yet, but it'll get there.

Warm-up

Superman + Hollow Hold: 25 sec. + 25 sec. / 25 sec. + 25 sec. / 25 sec. + 25 sec.

DB Bulgarian Split Squat: 60 lb. x 9, 9 / 7, 7 / 7, 7

Wall Handstand Push-up on Parallel Bars: Head 4 in. below hands x 2 / 1 / 1

DB Glute Bridge: 30 lb. x 15 / 15 / 15

KB Turkish Get-up: 26 lb. x 4, 4 / 4, 4 / 1, 1

*Didn't feel particularly tired on the last set but my arm gave out so I figured my form was starting to get sloppy and figured it was better to throw in the towel.

-------------

Push-up on Rings: 16 / 15 / 14

Pull-up: 1 + 10 sec. rest / 2 + 20 sec. rest / 3 + 30 sec. rest / 4 + 40 sec. rest / 3 and FAIL

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines