The Weapon X Project: In which a pirate becomes a mutant.

Wolverine

What time zone are you in? We can motivate each other with the knowledge that the other one's doing it, so I might as well be. ;)

Awesome idea. Pacific. :)

I'm glad you're having fun with your workouts! I don't think exercise should feel like a chore either. Congrats on another great week!

Thanks! You too!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Eastern, so working out at the same time won't work. How about a friendly little PvP? Not necessarily competitive, but say get 4 out of 7 AM workouts week to week?

Sounds great.  I'm aiming for 5, but that gives baby leeway.  It's on!

Saw this today on the Chive, made me think of you.

51017e3772122_photo.png

HAHAHAHA  Love it.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

TUESDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Chin-up: 6 / 6 / 6 / 6 / 6 / 6
    *Increase GTG reps next round.

• Croc. Push-up: 20 / 20 / 20 / 20 / 20 / 20

WEDNESDAY'S BW ROUTINE

• Warmup

• Hollow Hold + Reverse Plank + Side Plank + Planche Lean + Side Plank + Superman Hold: 40 sec. each

• Weighted Push-up: 20 lb. x 13 / 12 / 12
    *Used the new weight vest.  Fun variation (I've been inspired to try some new things due to Nuala's challenge!).
    *Add weight next round.

• DB RDL: 90 lb. x 10 / 10 / 10
    *Add weight next round.

• One Arm DB Row: 45 lb. x 6LR / 6LR / 6LR
    *Add weight next round.

• Tuck Ice Cream Maker: 3 / 3 / 1
    *Love these!

• Tuck Dragon Flag Negative: 5
    *Hey these feel really good, I think I'll...

• Dragon Flag Negative: 2 / 2
    *... try full negatives.  Boom.

• DB Squat to Press: 50 lb. x 10 / 10 / 10

WEDNESDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Unintentionally canceled.  I had the cub today (I usually have him on Monday's) and the schedule change totally threw me off.  Completely forgot to throw in my additional exercises.  Bummer!

THURSDAY'S CARDIO ROUTINE

• Insanity: Cardio Recovery, 35 min.
    *A bit of a "cheat" cardio day, but I was running a bit late this morning and had to choose the shortest video.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Look, I don't care if the Insanity video is three minutes long... NOTHING about those routines is a cheat. XD

Perhaps it is telling that I had to take a break during the RECOVERY workout?  ;)

Fuck YEAH, congrats on the full dragon negatives!

THANK YOU!  I'm stoked.  Can only manage a couple but it's progress!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Wow, awesome workout.  Love days like those.

Tuck Ice Cream Makers >>>>>>

Exercise really is the bomb, little bit of front lever, rowing, and pullup in one single exercise, and they look cool as can be.

Congrats on getting to negative full flags.  Like the TICM's, they are a rad lookin exercise.

Thanks!

LOVING THE ICE CREAM MAKERS.  Still doing just the tuck version but looking forward to progressing with them.

yar.

Heh. Thanks, buddy. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

THURSDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Tuck Ice Cream Maker: 2 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 2

• Crocodile Push-up: 10 reps x 21 sets + 2 extra reps
    *For Nuala's challenge!

​FRIDAY'S BW ROUTINE

• Warmup

• Hollow Hold + Reverse Plank + Side Plank + Planche Lean + Side Plank + Superman Hold: 40 sec. each

• Tuck Back Lever on Rings: 5 / 5 / 8 sec.
    *Really curved back on the first two sets.  Took a minute to read through the Beast Skill tutorial again, and then made an extra effort to cram my arms and back together.  Worked like a charm.  Not only upped the time, but had a lot better form.

• Weighted Shrimp Squat: 10 lb. x 3LR / 4LR / 5LR
    *First two sets were a little wonky as per my usual.  Then I really concentrated on the stretching out my legs on the decent (hard to explain) and my form immediately got better and the reps were much easier.

• Weighted Dip: 20 lb. x 6 / 7 / 7
    *Add weight next round.

• Dragon Flag Negative: 3 / 3 / 3

• Weighted Glute Bridge: 30 lb. x 15 / 15 / 15
    *Add weight next round.

• Plyometric "Hop" Push-up: 10 / 10 / 10

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

If you can get a hold of it, Shaun T has a "Fast and Furious" video with a running time of ~20 minutes that'll fit ANY schedule and leave you a sweaty, weeping mess. I've used it as a sub on many occasions when time has been limited.

BTW the PvP is on: 4 Insanity workouts a week! Have you done the fit test yet? Wanna throw in bonus points for percentage increase in fit test scores?

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

If you can get a hold of it, Shaun T has a "Fast and Furious" video with a running time of ~20 minutes that'll fit ANY schedule and leave you a sweaty, weeping mess. I've used it as a sub on many occasions when time has been limited.

BTW the PvP is on: 4 Insanity workouts a week! Have you done the fit test yet? Wanna throw in bonus points for percentage increase in fit test scores?

Looks like I can get it for $20.  I'll look into it should time continue to be a problem.  If I can get out of bed on time, it shouldn't be an issue.  Thanks for the rec!

Ruh roh... I misunderstood.  I'll be doing 2 Insanity workouts a week (in addition to my strength program 3 days a week).  Think we can still do the PvP with different numbers of workouts?  If so, fit test comparisons sound great.  I'll throw that in sometime before the start of next week.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Ruh roh... I misunderstood.  I'll be doing 2 Insanity workouts a week (in addition to my strength program 3 days a week).  Think we can still do the PvP with different numbers of workouts?  If so, fit test comparisons sound great.  I'll throw that in sometime before the start of next week.

No prob--I'll get a PvP link and GoogleDocs spreadsheet up later today.

Current Challenge

Wow, you're doing a full back lever? 

Are you doing them palms to the ceiling or palms to the ground?  The beastskills tutorial shows palms to the ceiling, but Sommer's site advocates palm to the ground (to strengthen the biceps/biceps tendon for planche work).

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to work around the bicep tendonitis tonight, but trying a palms up back lever will be part of it.  I haven't used a palms up hand position since last spring/summer, though I recall it being a bit easier.  But since it doesn't load the biceps like a palms down back lever, doing it without aggravating the tendonitis should be feasible.

No ice cream makers tonight though (cries). 

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Wow, you're doing a full back lever? 

Are you doing them palms to the ceiling or palms to the ground?  The beastskills tutorial shows palms to the ceiling, but Sommer's site advocates palm to the ground (to strengthen the biceps/biceps tendon for planche work).

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to work around the bicep tendonitis tonight, but trying a palms up back lever will be part of it.  I haven't used a palms up hand position since last spring/summer, though I recall it being a bit easier.  But since it doesn't load the biceps like a palms down back lever, doing it without aggravating the tendonitis should be feasible.

No ice cream makers tonight though (cries). 

Oh, god no!  TUCK back lever.  *goes back and corrects post*  Pre-coffee posting does not become me.

I'm doing them on the rings, so the hands go wherever they naturally go.  I'll have to take a look at the video, but I'm pretty sure palms are down.

Is there anything to do for tendonitis but rest?  I've got my little somethin' somethin' appearing near my elbow (I think it's the connection from my forearm up), and I've been rolling the hell out of it and icing and doing mobility but I'm afraid that it's just the sheer volume of work.  Dunno.  How do the professionals prevent injuries like this or is it just a foregone conclusion?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

No prob--I'll get a PvP link and GoogleDocs spreadsheet up later today.

Sweet!  You wanna factor in percentage of workouts completed in addition to the increase in fit test results?  As you've been doing this cardio stuff for awhile now, the results of the fit test might be skewed in my favor.  Beginner's gains and all that... Also, shall we make it more interesting?  Loser buys the winner an NF t-shirt perhaps?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Sweet!  You wanna factor in percentage of workouts completed in addition to the increase in fit test results?  As you've been doing this cardio stuff for awhile now, the results of the fit test might be skewed in my favor.  Beginner's gains and all that... Also, shall we make it more interesting?  Loser buys the winner an NF t-shirt perhaps?

Done and done! I'll cede the advantage of your beginner's gains...it will push me to work that much harder. ;)

Current Challenge

Oh, god no!  TUCK back lever.  *goes back and corrects post*  Pre-coffee posting does not become me.

I'm doing them on the rings, so the hands go wherever they naturally go.  I'll have to take a look at the video, but I'm pretty sure palms are down.

Is there anything to do for tendonitis but rest?  I've got my little somethin' somethin' appearing near my elbow (I think it's the connection from my forearm up), and I've been rolling the hell out of it and icing and doing mobility but I'm afraid that it's just the sheer volume of work.  Dunno.  How do the professionals prevent injuries like this or is it just a foregone conclusion?

Rest is about the only thing you can do for tendonitis.  Stretching might help a bit.  Run of the mill tendonitis goes away pretty fast, within a few days.  Basically its just DOMs in the tendons, though its not a good idea to work hard through it.  A little bit of work isn't terrible though, the effects of the extra stress are cancelled by the blood flow from the exercise; being totally inactive isn't a great idea.  Some say to take NSAIDs to help with the swelling and pain, but I agree with those that say that inflammation is a good thing, it is the process of healing, don't make it go away artificially.

But yeah, volume is pretty much what causes it.  It is a sign of overuse.  Just like a muscle though, after the healing process is over you should be a little bit more resistant to its reoccurance, as it should heal a little stronger.

For some things its a foregone conclusion.  Training for the one arm chinup will give you elbow tenonitis, it is virtually unavoidable.  In my case switching from primarily grindy pulls to explosive pulls was enough to do it.

I always treat it as a problem to be managed.  Cut back on volume, eliminate any extreme stress sources, try not to make it worse.  Tendonitis is very much one of those things on the sore/hurt line, you can approach it either way usually and be alright.  

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

THE WEAPON X PROJECT: WEEK 3 OF 6

First 75% of the week = AWESOME.  Last 25% of the week = horrible diet choices.

Goal 1: Get strong - Complete my BW routine 3x per week, my work routine 5x per week, and cardio 1x per week

I completed all three BW routines.  I completed four of five work routines (totally forgot when I was at home with the boy). I completed one Insanity workout, which means I only have two makeups to go... still.

Goal 2: Get lean - Track all food at MyFitnessPal.com and stay under 1800 calories per day on average

I tracked all of my food at MyFitnessPal.com.  I averaged 1924 calories per day. Major fail.  I have to weigh myself tomorrow morning, but my weight definitely went back up.

Goal 3: Get healthy - Eat Primal with three or less "exceptions"

I started the week strong, but completely self destructed over the weekend.  Went over my allotted exceptions, blew my calorie goal for the entire week, and generally failed. Lame.

Goal 4: Establish good habits - Floss 1x per day, drink 64 fl. oz. of water per day, and shave at least 1x per week.

I flossed every day.  I drank at least 64 fl. oz. of water every day.  Shaved three times this week.  Trying to be a little more proactive with this one.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Let's extend it through the next challenge.  I want to get the full sixty days in.  Count the week between challenges too?

Works for me! Edited the PvP thread to reflect that it goes through the end of the next challenge. Also, the fit test counts as a workout (if it's good enough for Shaun T....).

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines