The Weapon X Project: In which a pirate becomes a mutant.

Wolverine

Great update per the goals, sir! Diet is and always will be tough. I struggle ever day with it... yes, even The Wolf struggles with it ;) It's good to see your hygene is coming along... though it's still strange for Wolverine to be shaving 3x a week... but I'm sure he shaves every morning and just has a wicked 2 o'clock shadow with chops EVERY day, lol.

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Great update per the goals, sir! Diet is and always will be tough. I struggle ever day with it... yes, even The Wolf struggles with it ;) It's good to see your hygene is coming along... though it's still strange for Wolverine to be shaving 3x a week... but I'm sure he shaves every morning and just has a wicked 2 o'clock shadow with chops EVERY day, lol.

Wolf

The hair grows with mutant like speed.  Gotta keep on top of it!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

MONDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• L-sit: 15 sec.
  • Hollow Hold: 30 sec.
  • Front Plank + Side Plank + Side Plank: 30 sec. each

Tweaked my back in the morning and it wasn't up to finishing the ab challenge like I wanted.  Bummer. 

TUESDAY'S CARDIO ROUTINE

• Insanity: Plyometric Cardio Circuit, 40 min.
    *Was doing great after the end of the first circuit.  Started to think maybe I was in better shape than I thought. Then the second circuit started and I died... over and over again.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Insanity: Plyometric Cardio Circuit, 40 min.

*Was doing great after the end of the first circuit.  Started to think maybe I was in better shape than I thought. Then the second circuit started and I died... over and over again.

Doing better than I was when I started--I hit the end of the warm-up and said, "What? That's not it?!?"

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

TUESDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Jump Squat: 10 reps x 15 sets

WEDNESDAY'S BW ROUTINE

• Warmup

• Weighted Push-up: 30 lb. x 10 / 10 / 10

• DB RDL: 100 lb. x 10 / 10 / 10

• DB One Arm Row: 50 lb. x 5LR / 5LR / 5LR

• KB Swing: 35 lb. x 20 / 20 / 20
    *Broke out the new KB.  Woot!

• KB Clean and Press: 35 lb. x 6LR / 6LR / 6LR

• KB High Windmill: 26 lb. x 5LR / 5LR / 5LR

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

A brand new KB-how fun!

It was awesome! Way more challenging than the 26 pounder. Heavier weight made the clean easier for some reason. Nice side effect!

Damn.  15 sets of jump squats.  Does that bother your knees at all?

Oddly enough, no. I'm really concentrating on form and soft landings (I share a thin wall with my boss) and I think that's working in my favor.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Oddly enough, no. I'm really concentrating on form and soft landings (I share a thin wall with my boss) and I think that's working in my favor.

I'm no expert on Jump Squats, but isn't that going to end badly for you?

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Assuming no history of knee/ankle/hip injuries there should be no problem with any of the jump exercises.  LIke anything, you have to develop capability over time.

True, but they don't call patellar tendonitis "jumpers knee" for nothing.

Extreme moderation is the key for me with jumping exercises.  15 sets is just mind boggling, I would need crutches after that.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

If you count quads of steel as a bad thing, then yes, 15 sets of jump squats are going to end disastrously.

=P

HA HA HA.  Gotta say I'm gettin' damn fine legs for a guy.

True, but they don't call patellar tendonitis "jumpers knee" for nothing.

Extreme moderation is the key for me with jumping exercises.  15 sets is just mind boggling, I would need crutches after that.

Moderation is definitely key.

As for my 15 sets... keep in mind that I have the ideal body for calisthenics/explosive movements.  I'm pretty strong, and I'm short and light.  There's a reason that all the record holders for calisthenics are 5'6" and 135 lb.  I think this may be the one sport where your size works against you.  I'll go ahead and avoid you on the football field, though... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Wolverine vs T-Rex...should be pretty epic:)

Heh.  Waldo has arms though... Like a T-Rex with gorilla arms vs. a wolverine...

WEDNESDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Jump Squat: 10 reps x 16 sets

• Desk Inverted Rows: 10 reps x 6 sets

*These were deceivingly difficult.  My desk has a smooth surface and I couldn't get a real good grip.  Worked my hands and forearms like CRAZY.  Going to add these into the regular work routine rotation.

THURSDAY'S CARDIO ROUTINE

• Insanity: Power Cardio and Resistance, 40 min.

Was making coffee this morning as my wife was feeding the cub.  From across the room she did the full body once over "hey baby" thing that girls do (if you're lucky) and said "Wow, you've got a lot of stomach muscles going on this morning."  BOOM.  Gotta keep it up for the photo at the end of this challenge!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Wolverine, on 31 Jan 2013 - 13:00, said:

As for my 15 sets... keep in mind that I have the ideal body for calisthenics/explosive movements. I'm pretty strong, and I'm short and light. There's a reason that all the record holders for calisthenics are 5'6" and 135 lb. I think this may be the one sport where your size works against you. I'll go ahead and avoid you on the football field, though... ;)

This is true. In no time you should be way past where I am. Size is definitely a handicap for me.

35" arms are....a wee bit less than ideal for doing planches.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Hey! I was reading through your log, and your progress is really inspirational!

I was hoping you could give me a some tips on working towards a handstand pushup. I could do it in high school, but I was also like 125lbs then. Currently I'm doing decline pushups (my feet are on a dresser that is about belly button height when I'm standing), and did 60 of those today. But when I try to do a handstand pushup, I just can't get there. How can I make the jump from declines to handstand pushups?

Also, my wrist had quite a bit of pain. Switching to holding a bar (instead of flat on the floor) helped a bit, but it still hurts. I sit a desk typing all day, so tendinitis is something I've already had problems with. Any tips for dealing with that?

Keep up the good work, I'll be following your progress!

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Heh.  Waldo has arms though... Like a T-Rex with gorilla arms vs. a wolverine...

WEDNESDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Jump Squat: 10 reps x 16 sets

• Desk Inverted Rows: 10 reps x 6 sets

*These were deceivingly difficult.  My desk has a smooth surface and I couldn't get a real good grip.  Worked my hands and forearms like CRAZY.  Going to add these into the regular work routine rotation.

THURSDAY'S CARDIO ROUTINE

• Insanity: Power Cardio and Resistance, 40 min.

Was making coffee this morning as my wife was feeding the cub.  From across the room she did the full body once over "hey baby" thing that girls do (if you're lucky) and said "Wow, you've got a lot of stomach muscles going on this morning."  BOOM.  Gotta keep it up for the photo at the end of this challenge!

Didn't realize Waldo was in on this.  Brings to mind Wolverine's first appearance.  If I recall right, he duked it out with the Hulk.  Sorry Waldo, but you're kind of doing some Hulkish things these days.  Actually, more like the Banner-Hulk.  Should be an epic three way.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Didn't realize Waldo was in on this.  Brings to mind Wolverine's first appearance.  If I recall right, he duked it out with the Hulk.  Sorry Waldo, but you're kind of doing some Hulkish things these days.  Actually, more like the Banner-Hulk.  Should be an epic three way.

AHHHHH... He's not in on the PvP, I misunderstood!  Just the T-rex vs. the Wolverine on that one. :)

Hey! I was reading through your log, and your progress is really inspirational!

I was hoping you could give me a some tips on working towards a handstand pushup. I could do it in high school, but I was also like 125lbs then. Currently I'm doing decline pushups (my feet are on a dresser that is about belly button height when I'm standing), and did 60 of those today. But when I try to do a handstand pushup, I just can't get there. How can I make the jump from declines to handstand pushups?

Also, my wrist had quite a bit of pain. Switching to holding a bar (instead of flat on the floor) helped a bit, but it still hurts. I sit a desk typing all day, so tendinitis is something I've already had problems with. Any tips for dealing with that?

Keep up the good work, I'll be following your progress!

Can you kick into a handstand up against a wall and hold it for any length of time?  Can you do the negative (lowering) portion of the handstand push-up?

I don't have a lot of experience with tendonitis... I'm just now beginning to show the signs of it in my elbow (I think it's actually the tendon at the top of my forearm) but I've been using the tried and true "rest, ice, massage, rest, prehab, rest, mobility" recipe.  I highly recommend starting some wrist mobility work and making sure you're warming up properly before your workouts.  I used to half ass my warmups and then I started doing the gymnastics/skills/holds/strength work rather than a more traditional calisthenics routine and it's hella hard on your joints and tendons... especially those you're not used to using (wrists, forearms, elbows, shoulders).

If working on bars helps, you could start training the HSPUs /push-ups/pretty much all floor horizontal/vertical pushing on parallettes.  I've recently switched over to them and am loving the great range of motion and exercise variations.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

THURSDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Burpees: 5 reps x 10 sets

• Parallel Grip Chin-ups: 5 reps x 10 sets

I love how my work routine has become my "Assassin Mini-Challenge" routine.  I'm gonna keep this up if Nuala keeps up the challenges!

FRIDAY'S BW ROUTINE

• Warmup

• Cardio Kickboxing: 30 min.
    *Found a punch/kick/jump/etc. routine and decided to do it for the current mini-challenge. It was something different anyway.

• DB Hammer Curls: 30 lb. x 6 / 6 / 6

• Weighted Dips: 30 lb. x 5 / 4 / 5

Nothing spectacular this morning.  Was feeling sort of lost and lackluster when I got out of bed.  I'm switching up my morning routine next week (more details to come soon!) and I think my brain has already moved on to that.  Giving myself points for getting up and showing up, but do not want to see this sort of attitude and aimlessness become a habit.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Can you kick into a handstand up against a wall and hold it for any length of time?  Can you do the negative (lowering) portion of the handstand push-up?

Hmm... I'm not sure. I was trying to start with a headstand (up against a wall), and pushing into a handstand, which is how I used to do it years ago. I'll try starting in a handstand, although I'm not very well coordinated so hopefully I don't put a hole in the wall!

I used to half ass my warmups and then I started doing the gymnastics/skills/holds/strength work rather than a more traditional calisthenics routine and it's hella hard on your joints and tendons... especially those you're not used to using (wrists, forearms, elbows, shoulders).

I'm honestly not even sure how to do a "proper" warmup. I just do some jumping jacks before I get started. I'll do some research on that. Other than my wrist, I haven't felt like anything was hurting in a bad way. But jumping jacks probably aren't really a worthwhile warmup.

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Hmm... I'm not sure. I was trying to start with a headstand (up against a wall), and pushing into a handstand, which is how I used to do it years ago. I'll try starting in a handstand, although I'm not very well coordinated so hopefully I don't put a hole in the wall!

Pressing up from a headstand into a handstand is quite hard, much harder than basic handstand pushups. Maintaining tension and using the muscle/tendon elastic properties makes a huge difference. I can do 9 handstand pushups right now, but can only do one rep pressing up from a headstand into a handstand.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Why would I stop making challenges, you know how much I love making you all suffers :tongue: Glad you enjoy them!

I'm a sucker for punishment apparently!

I'm honestly not even sure how to do a "proper" warmup. I just do some jumping jacks before I get started. I'll do some research on that. Other than my wrist, I haven't felt like anything was hurting in a bad way. But jumping jacks probably aren't really a worthwhile warmup.

I attacked the HSPU from a couple different directions.  (1) I kicked up into a handstand against a wall and worked on being able to hold the position for 60 sec. with good form. (2) I kicked up into a handstand against a wall and did partial HSPUs to a stack of books beneath my head.  When I could do 3 sets of 5 reps with good form, I removed a book to increase the range of motion. (3) I kicked up into a handstand against a wall and lowered myself slowly and under control into a headstand.  Then I dropped back down and kicked back up again.

I was able to get from 0 to 8 HSPUs in one challenge.  Now I'm using a similar scheme for HSPUs on the parallel bars (even greater range of motion).

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Forgot to answer this one!  I like the warmup from Molding Mobility (I do all the movements on that page) followed by the wrist stuff from Monkey Gym and one set of rolling plank work (hollow hold to reverse plank to side plank to front plank or planche lean to side plank to Superman hold) which I started at about 20 sec. each and am now doing 40 sec. each.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines