The Weapon X Project: In which a pirate becomes a mutant.

Wolverine

Thanks guys!

Quick question though: do you face the wall (so you stomach would be facing the wall), or do you have your back facing towards the wall? I had my back against the wall (because again, that's how I had done it before), but now that I think about it that may have been the wrong way to do it. I'm having to push up and back in that position, which probably uses different muscles than a decline pushup (which is what I've been doing), which pushes up and forward.

Forgot to answer this one!  I like the warmup from Molding Mobility (I do all the movements on that page) followed by the wrist stuff from Monkey Gym and one set of rolling plank work (hollow hold to reverse plank to side plank to front plank or planche lean to side plank to Superman hold) which I started at about 20 sec. each and am now doing 40 sec. each.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to read those more thoroughly before my workout on Sunday. Planks/side planks (I alternate by week) are part of my regular workout routine, but they're the third exercise of my circuit. Do you think I could kill two birds with one stone by making it the first workout? Then part of my warmup will also be a workout. Or am I trying to take shortcuts that are ill-advised?

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Thanks guys!

Quick question though: do you face the wall (so you stomach would be facing the wall), or do you have your back facing towards the wall? I had my back against the wall (because again, that's how I had done it before), but now that I think about it that may have been the wrong way to do it. I'm having to push up and back in that position, which probably uses different muscles than a decline pushup (which is what I've been doing), which pushes up and forward.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to read those more thoroughly before my workout on Sunday. Planks/side planks (I alternate by week) are part of my regular workout routine, but they're the third exercise of my circuit. Do you think I could kill two birds with one stone by making it the first workout? Then part of my warmup will also be a workout. Or am I trying to take shortcuts that are ill-advised?

I kick up into the handstand with my back to the wall.  I'm not sure it really matters, but the HSPU is a vertical pushing exercise (SHOULDERS, BABY!), so the more vertical you can be the better.  Get as vertical as you can in the most comfortable way you can.

Other than my holds/planks at the end of my warmup (seriously, look into adding the hollow hold to your routine) they're not a part of my workout.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

As for my 15 sets... keep in mind that I have the ideal body for calisthenics/explosive movements.  I'm pretty strong, and I'm short and light.  There's a reason that all the record holders for calisthenics are 5'6" and 135 lb.  I think this may be the one sport where your size works against you.  I'll go ahead and avoid you on the football field, though... ;)

Just realized, no wonder we've had good luck stealing from each other's methods--we're the same size! -ish. In height, at least.

Train hard. Drink tea.

THE WEAPON X PROJECT: WEEK 4 OF 6

Awesome week, concluded by an interesting, if not good, Super Bowl game.

Goal 1: Get strong - Complete my BW routine 3x per week, my work routine 5x per week, and cardio 1x per week

I completed my BW routine three times, my work routine (which has basically become my Assassin's mini-Challenge routine!) five times, and cardio twice.

Goal 2: Get lean - Track all food at MyFitnessPal.com and stay under 1800 calories per day on average

Tracked everything (even my Super Bowl pigathon) but ended up with an average of 1914 calories per day (thanks to the Super Bowl pigathon).  I take my measurements tomorrow, but I'm expecting a slight gain or maintenance with the weight.  If nothing else, I'm learning a lot about what I actually NEED with my current level of activity.

Goal 3: Get healthy - Eat Primal with three or less "exceptions"

Only exceptions were during the Super Bowl.  Proud of myself on this one.

Goal 4: Establish good habits - Floss 1x per day, drink 64 fl. oz. of water per day, and shave at least 1x per week.

Yup, yup, and yup.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I kick up into the handstand with my back to the wall.  I'm not sure it really matters, but the HSPU is a vertical pushing exercise (SHOULDERS, BABY!), so the more vertical you can be the better.  Get as vertical as you can in the most comfortable way you can.

Other than my holds/planks at the end of my warmup (seriously, look into adding the hollow hold to your routine) they're not a part of my workout.

I like back to wall for HSPU's because it sucks a lot less when you fail mid-rep.  I only use one foot to support me on the wall with them, keeping the other leg straight.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

MONDAY'S BW ROUTINE

• Warmup

• PB Push-up: 9 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 9, RPE = 6

• PB Dip: 11 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 5

• PB Planche Lean: 5 sec. x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 9, RPE =5

• PB Tuck to L-Sit Hold: 5 sec. x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 6

• PB Mountain Climbers: 9LR reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 7

• Cooldown

​Getting focused with my routine.  Pulled the trigger on Gold Medal Bodies' Parallettes 1 course this weekend.  All upper body push movements, so I'll be supplementing with my own pull and lower body work.  Had to make some of the prescribed exercises more difficult and looks like I'll be flying through this first phase as it was still too easy.

Great program, though, very well designed and thought out.  All the materials are top quality too.  If I had just switched from standard calisthenics to gymnastics style training, this would have been perfect.  As it is, I think I'll be fast forwarding a bit, but I have no doubt I'll get into the more interesting stuff soon.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

What is the RPT that you are using?

I have a hard time separating RPE's of 7 and below.  8, 9, and 10 are all pretty different to me and identifyable, below that i just don't know what sort of benchmarks to latch on to.

Course looks interesting, should be fun to watch.

How are you doing dips on parallettes?  Tucked?

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

What is the RPT that you are using?

I have a hard time separating RPE's of 7 and below.  8, 9, and 10 are all pretty different to me and identifyable, below that i just don't know what sort of benchmarks to latch on to.

Course looks interesting, should be fun to watch.

How are you doing dips on parallettes?  Tucked?

I was waiting for you to notice the RPT. :) RPT = Rated Perceived Technique. Basically how close to perfect form are you? I have a great chart of the levels according to Gold Medal Bodies. I'll share tomorrow when I've got it in front of me.

Dips were done bench dip style. Tucked would be a good variation... I'm either going to make the routine harder and stick with it for the allotted time or just fast forward the program until I get loser to my current level... Haven't decided yet.

That 'Gold Medal Bodies' sounds interesting. What is it?

Way to go on the primal eating! :D

Gymnastics based training. Very well done. Videos, manual, warmups, cool downs, tons o info. Good stuff.

Thanks!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Insanity would win the fight, but GMB sure would look pretty as it lost. :)

Insanity kicks my ass.  It's not just cardio, it's crazy plyometrics with a strength component and I see instant results when I stick with it.  That being said, I HATE it because it's cardio (bleh) and it's so freakin' hard that it's impossible to see any progress for a loooooooonnnnnnnng time.

Now GMB I love.  It's training that I enjoy with instant positive feedback.  I also really like their focus on doing something with what they teach you.  All the programs start with a strength phase then move on to a skill phase and then culminate in a "flow" phase which is where you actually put all the skills together into a routine.  I like that the skill isn't the end goal but putting a bunch of skills together into something cool.  Very similar to yoga (done right!) in that way.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Gold Medal Bodies RPE

It's a 1-10 scale rather than a 6-20 scale.  To experiment with heart rate, multiply RPE by 20 (instead of 10).

• 10: No reps left in the tank, form breaking down

• 9: Heavy effort, takes everything to finish last rep with good form

• 8: Could have done more but it wouldn't have been pretty

• 7: Each rep is clean and controlled, form is spot on

• 6: Perfect technique with moderate effort

• 5: A little harder than a warmup

• 4-1: Minimal effort

Gold Medal Bodies RPT

• 10: Perfect form, gold medal worthy

• 9: Nearly perfect, looks perfect to observer but you notice slight form break

• 8: Great technique, ideal to shoot for

• 7: Smooth and steady with minor issues

• 6: Form breakdown is obvious

• 5-1: Weak form, usually where you start when working with a skill for the first time

Progress to the next level of a skill when your RPE is at 6 or below and RPT is at 8 or above.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

MONDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Sun Salutations: 6
    *For the Gauls!

• Cardio Class: 1 hour

• Bouldering: 1 hour

TUESDAY'S CARDIO ROUTINE

• Insanity: Pure Cardio, 40 min.

DIET/WEIGHT LOSS NOTES

I've been taking measurements since the beginning of this challenge.  It's something that I should've been doing all along, but never got around to until now.  I also invested in a pair of calipers for bodyfat tracking (in addition to estimating bodyfat with my measurements... numbers are pretty consistent with one another, actually).  Keeping tack of calories consumed, approx. calories burned, and my measurements has been enlightening.  Looks like an average of under 1700 calories per day (taking into account the amount I burn through exercise) equals a slow and steady weight loss.  Now that I've got evidence of a first real target number (rather than a shot in the dark), I'll be testing that theory this week.  Fun stuff.

In other news, the calipers estimate that I'm between 12.4% and 13.3% bodyfat.  Using the YMCA modified formula, the measurements are putting me at 13.65%.  I don't know if I have blinders on or what, but I'd guess a lot higher than that.  Nice trend down anyway.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

When you say taking into account calories burned, does that mean 1700 + whatever you're burning is your target (so if you're burning 600, your eating ~2300)? I'm constantly tweaking my numbers and am always interested I what's working for others.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

When you say taking into account calories burned, does that mean 1700 + whatever you're burning is your target (so if you're burning 600, your eating ~2300)? I'm constantly tweaking my numbers and am always interested I what's working for others.

Yup, pretty much. I add all my calories up at the end of the week and average. I think this last week it was just over 1900. Subtract what I burned on average and I've got my 1700 target.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

TUESDAY'S WORK ROUTINE

• Tuck Ice Cream Maker: 3 reps x 9 sets

WEDNESDAY'S BW ROUTINE

• Warmup

• PB Plank Side-to-Side Push-up: 10 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 7, RPE = 8

• PB Assisted Shoulder Stand Raise: 10 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 6

• PB Jump Through: 12 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 6

• PB Assisted Inverted Press: 12 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 6

• PB Swing Set: 12 reps x 5 sets with 60 sec. rest
    RPT = 8, RPE = 8

• Cooldown

That's phase one, day two of the GMB P1 course.  I still felt that the routine was beneath my strength level, but this day was definitely more difficult than the first.  I also got to learn some new, dynamic movements and those ended up being fun and challenging to implement.  I've decided to skip ahead (phase one is supposed to be four weeks long) and start on phase two next week.  This bypasses the strength portion of the program and jumps right into learning the skills that will be strung together in the final two phases.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

It's always nice to realize you're ahead of where you thought you were.

PvP challenge point of clarification: Are we counting yoga routines as workouts for the purpose of getting the five per week? If so, any stipulations (i.e., minimum length, etc.)? Throwing together a few sun salutations hardly seems like a workout, but 70 min of various sundry balance and stretch poses seems like it might qualify. I'll defer to you on this one, as I don't need it either way to get to five, but just curious.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

It's always nice to realize you're ahead of where you thought you were.

PvP challenge point of clarification: Are we counting yoga routines as workouts for the purpose of getting the five per week? If so, any stipulations (i.e., minimum length, etc.)? Throwing together a few sun salutations hardly seems like a workout, but 70 min of various sundry balance and stretch poses seems like it might qualify. I'll defer to you on this one, as I don't need it either way to get to five, but just curious.

Let's say yes, but with the stipulation that it needs to be an hour or more for yoga/climbing/dance/whatever.

Very cool, man.

Thanks!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines