• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

lwow

Lwow's Improvement Log

specific goals to come

something like, run, think about what I eat, hit the gym every once in a while and keep my posts up to date

To get rolling though

Today I ate

Fresh fruit and half a blueberry doughnut

ham on multigrain with cheddar, sprouts, cuke, carrot,tomato and lettuce

chocolate milk 2 cups

gummy fruit snacks (WTF) 200 cals

dinner to come

This isnt horrible, but let's rein it in. I have been doing about a week of crazy work and they keep feeding us. It just ended, but eating was out of control, all kinds of food I don't usually let my self get near. They had dessert at every meal and healthy options were not really there. Planning to get back to A plus eating days.

ohhh.. chocolate milk. I have a love/hate relationship with chocolate milk. I love it, but it doesn't love me. :(

When you're eating proper, is there a style in particular you follow? eg Paleo, Standard American Diet, etc?

I have to say, I just wrote the best post of all time, and then lost it. I'm not sure what happened.

I'm gonna try again...

For food, I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle diet, nothing crazy, no particular rules. I know how to eat healthy and I don't mind it, I guess my problem is that if I don't think about it, I eat huge portions. I aim for 1700 cals a day (more if workouts are intense) and if left to my own devices I would live on cheese, bread, fruit and candy, so I really need to focus on protein and veggies which isn't to say I don't like them, it just takes some thought.

Last night wound up with 2 slices of home made pizza (not greasy) with tomato and basil and light cheese, an apple and coconut water.

Today started with a light/high fiber english muffin with almond butter and milk and ginger tea

I brought lunch and snacks- another slice of pizza, string cheese, greek yogurt, carrots, and a small grapefruit

If I eat all of this, I will have about 900 cals, 54 grams protein, 25 grams fiber and I will be really full so I consider that right on track.

Goals have been demanded, so here goes. I have a weird month because I will be on vacation for a week, so I am putting focus on the front half of the month. I also have this underwear party next Saturday, so going to be 100% perfect until then. I tried out my planned outfit last night, and it isn't horrible, but it would be nice to look a bit less squishy, which is an attainable goal for 9 days- desquishifying.

Therefore starting today I am going to work out every day between now and the 12th. I can take the 13th off if needed, but obligatory workouts on the 14th and 15th. I don't care what the workouts are, but they must happen.

For eating I will log food (aiming for 1700 cals/day) at least through the 12th and no beer until then.

While on vacation I will eat within reason and try to be very active, that is all that is realistic.

When I get back another week of food logging and 3x week at the gym.

Life goal-clean house before and after party including bringing a donation pile to goodwill

I have to say, I just wrote the best post of all time, and then lost it. I'm not sure what happened.

This has happened to me in the past as well - also after having written the best posts of all time. And I think I finally figured out WHY it happened. When I reply using the 'quick reply' at the bottom, the most prominent button is the 'reply to thread' button, which of course is 100% NOT the 'submit reply' button. I'm pretty sure that after typing out my post I hit the wrong button and lost it all. That, or it took me so long to type it out that the post timed out - but I'm pretty sure I hit the wrong button because I've caught myself on occasion going for it, rather than the proper one...

Goals have been demanded, so here goes. I have a weird month because I will be on vacation for a week, so I am putting focus on the front half of the month. I also have this underwear party next Saturday, so going to be 100% perfect until then. I tried out my planned outfit last night, and it isn't horrible, but it would be nice to look a bit less squishy, which is an attainable goal for 9 days- desquishifying.

Therefore starting today I am going to work out every day between now and the 12th. I can take the 13th off if needed, but obligatory workouts on the 14th and 15th. I don't care what the workouts are, but they must happen.

For eating I will log food (aiming for 1700 cals/day) at least through the 12th and no beer until then.

While on vacation I will eat within reason and try to be very active, that is all that is realistic.

When I get back another week of food logging and 3x week at the gym.

Life goal-clean house before and after party including bringing a donation pile to goodwill

Yay for solid goals! You had me at 'underwear party'!! :o:o:o

What sort of routines do you do at the gym? Having at least somewhat of a plan going in will help keep you focused and will also keep you from having less 'hmmm what should I do next' moments that inevitably create lost momentum. Before I start my routine for the morning, I write out all the exercises I'll be doing in advance - so I know what I want to accomplish and what order I should be doing it. It really helps keep me on track while I'm there.

Logging your food is a great idea - something I've never been able to stick to, myself. Are you planning on posting the logs here as well? You know, so we can criticize them? ;)

Just came home from the gym. Tonight I did 25 min on the stair stepper (had planned on erging, but those blasted cross-fiters were doing circuits with them). Then I did free weight

3x

10 benchpress with 15 lb

10 tricep behind the head with 15 lb

5 lunges 15

10 of each excercise on this machine http://www.homegymsinc.com/p/maximus-fitness-mx-506-hip-machine-professional-gym-equipment?utm_source=Pepperjam&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_term=www.homegymsinc.com&utm_campaign=12991292__maximus_fitness_mx_506_hip_machine_professional_gym_equipment

you can use it for hip abbduction, aduction, quads and hamstrings. I like it a lot and no one is ever using it.

Then abs total of 200 but 4 different kinds

I keep track of my food with caloriecount.com because I like how it has all the data and makes little graphs. But I was thinking about posting what I eat here so you can all yell at me. Speaking of which, tonight I had chicken pot pie, but a small portion and I had a lot of calories left for the day. I dont have the specific nutrition facts on it, but it was pretty clear that it had a lot of sodium. Overall today was a pretty good day, back at it tommorrow. I am planning for a morning workout at home. In general, I am good about not taking breaks at the gym. I usually do a class or run/erg and weights for a total of an hour. I plan out my gym attack on my way there.

Just came home from the gym. Tonight I did 25 min on the stair stepper (had planned on erging, but those blasted cross-fiters were doing circuits with them). Then I did free weight

3x

10 benchpress with 15 lb

10 tricep behind the head with 15 lb

5 lunges 15

10 of each excercise on this machine http://www.homegymsinc.com/p/maximus-fitness-mx-506-hip-machine-professional-gym-equipment?utm_source=Pepperjam&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_term=www.homegymsinc.com&utm_campaign=12991292__maximus_fitness_mx_506_hip_machine_professional_gym_equipment

you can use it for hip abbduction, aduction, quads and hamstrings. I like it a lot and no one is ever using it.

Then abs total of 200 but 4 different kinds

I keep track of my food with caloriecount.com because I like how it has all the data and makes little graphs. But I was thinking about posting what I eat here so you can all yell at me. Speaking of which, tonight I had chicken pot pie, but a small portion and I had a lot of calories left for the day. I dont have the specific nutrition facts on it, but it was pretty clear that it had a lot of sodium. Overall today was a pretty good day, back at it tommorrow. I am planning for a morning workout at home. In general, I am good about not taking breaks at the gym. I usually do a class or run/erg and weights for a total of an hour. I plan out my gym attack on my way there.

What are the exercises on that machine, out of curiosity?

ok, there was a time where I knew what all these were called, but those days are gone so I will just describe.

You can put the bar on the outside of your thigh and work the muscle below your hip

you can put the bar on the inside of your knee and work your inner thigh

you can put the bar on your quad and push your knee up

you can put the bar behind your knee and do donkey kicks

I am generally not about machines, but I like this one because while you do all of these, you have to stabilize your core

Should have worked out this morning, I know that friday afternoon workouts are hard for me. I am trying to keep myself convinced to go home and run then body weight stuff at home. Buuuut there are a lot of more fun options, happy hours (which people are convincing me are well deserved after an insane week and a half) dinner and movies right after work. Going to try to stay focused. Is it wrong to just promise to do a double work out tomorrow? I would think yes?

Today was doughnut day at work and I had one. It was great. This is why I have to run. For lunch I had a turkey sandwich, threw away a lot of the bread, an apple and 8 chocolate covered pretzels. I am at 850 calories which is right on track, but the quality of food could be a lot better, I am low on fiber, protein and vitamins/minerals. Tonight I should have a decent dinner, lots of veggies, and I will most certainly be having a scotch, as beer is off limits until the party on the 12th.

Tomorrow is big house cleaning day. I have the boyfriend on board with this plan, it will be an epic extravaganza of efforts! Closet clearcuting, kicking clothes to the curb, laundry piles killed, dust bunny genocide. Also taxes. I am thinking I will run to yoga class and back, maybe some weights.

Is it wrong to just promise to do a double work out tomorrow? I would think yes?

yes, although if you followed through with the housecleaning - that SHOULD have entailed a half decent workout, according to the Primal Blueprint..

Today was doughnut day at work and I had one. It was great. ... Tonight I should have a decent dinner, lots of veggies, and I will most certainly be having a scotch, as beer is off limits until the party on the 12th.

mmmm doughnuts..

Anytime I see/hear someone mention scotch my thoughts instantly jump to Ron Burgundy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsUAo6wFGk

I had Kraken-ade night, myself.. MMMM.. Unleash the Kraken!

Tomorrow is big house cleaning day. I have the boyfriend on board with this plan, it will be an epic extravaganza of efforts! Closet clearcuting, kicking clothes to the curb, laundry piles killed, dust bunny genocide. Also taxes. I am thinking I will run to yoga class and back, maybe some weights.

How'd the housecleaning go? I know when we buckle down and actually do a housecleaning run, it's an all weekend adventure - and a helluva good aerobic workout..

Should have worked out this morning, I know that friday afternoon workouts are hard for me. I am trying to keep myself convinced to go home and run then body weight stuff at home. Buuuut there are a lot of more fun options, happy hours (which people are convincing me are well deserved after an insane week and a half) dinner and movies right after work. Going to try to stay focused. Is it wrong to just promise to do a double work out tomorrow? I would think yes?

Ehh, I would just throw it under the philosophy of ‎"Perfection is impossible. However, striving for perfection is not. Do the best you can under the conditions that exist. That is what counts." -John Wooden. Was it the best you could have done under the conditions? If yes, don't stress about it.

This weekend was a good one, I made a great breakthrough at the gym and feeling really good. As advised above (thanks guys) I put Friday's missed workout behind me and got in 2 great workouts this weekend plus some pretty major cleaning (though there is still work to do, especially the bedroom closet). Eating could have been a lot better, but it was my boyfriend's birthday, so I had to let loose a little.

I have started lifting big weights. I have been thinking about getting more into weight lifting, I used to do it in college, so I know how to do it but I had some difficulty moving back there. First, as much as I hate to admit it, that section of the gym can be intimidating. Now that I have done it I am fine with it. Second, it is just easier and more effective to hit the gym and do the routine things I know than adding new things to the mix. I am so sore in such a good way today.

So I did

3x10 bar bench presses (30 lbs I think)

9x10 deadlifts @ 50 lbs

3x10 bicep curls @ 30 lbs

3x10 of each hip lift @ 60 lbs on what I have learned is called a rotary hip machine, this vid shows 2 of the lifts you can do, but you can also do each side of your hip by standing sideways facing the wall

3 assisted pull ups-a lot work to go there

200 abs varied in groups of 50

also 10 min erg at 2:20 split and 10 min stair stepper

Sunday I did similar lifts after 10 min of erging, and I wrapped up my workout with 4 500 meter erg sprints.

The really cool thing about that is for the sprints, I was really making the erg wheel 'whooosh' as I was walking out of the gym a woman on a recumbent bike yelled to me, "hey was that you erging? do you row?" We talked for a while I told her my background in rowing and she told me I should try out for the team she is on. I have heard of them before, but was somewhat intimidated by their 5x week 5:20 am workouts. Anyhoo, turns out that this chick is an ex national team member (pretty big deal in the rowing world). I think I am going to give it a shot. To try out I need to submit a 2k erg score and do an in person erg test March 20th. I pulled one for "fun" and got an 8:40 which is what I was pulling my sophomore year of high school, so not horrible, but a long way to go. Also like autocross, being lighter adds speed so there is added incentive for weight loss. Besides, what else would I be doing at 5:20 in the morning?

In addition to that, I started working on my taxes and realized I could get a big tax break if I move my old job 401k into an IRA before April which I have been meaning to do anyway. While moving money around, I also took the excess money I had in my emergency account (about half) and put it into a money market account so it is seeing a lot more risk and hopefully a pay out over .9%. I am feeling like a master of my personal life universe....work today on the other hand is another matter.

I LOVE MY SQUAD this month!

Everyone is doing so awesome. What a wicked week 1 update! Congrats!!!!

I assume ERG is those rowing machines I've seen at the gym but never had the cahonies to try? Pardon my google laziness lol. I walk past them each morning on my way to my 'quiet spot' and every day I'm like.. they look so cool - i should try it out.. and then don't because I don't want to look like a fool when i manage to get tangled up in the cord... don't laugh - i'm sure i'd find a way!

Go for the tryouts! What's the worst that could happen? You don't make it and get to sleep in a little bit longer?!? ;)

...I didn't even know that there was an indoor rowing machine.

Anyway, go for the tryouts! Even if you decide against it (5:20 sounds like a scary time to me), at least you'll know the results of the tryout, rather then wonder about it later.

Yeah, technically it is an ergometer but not many people call it that, most gyms have one or two concept-2 brand ones gathering dust in a remote corner. They are getting more popular because they are used in crossfit training. Martinpanduh on the boards is a big advocate of them, and they have been used getting stars in shape for roles where they have to look physically awesome. They hit every muscle (trust me I have found some forgotten ones, like the fronts of my shins). The motion starts with the big muscle groups then move to the little ones, legs, back, then arms

Here I googled it for you ;) here is the wikipedia article about it, which is kind of interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_rower

and the instructional vids from concept 2

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp

I coached a learn to row program for about 6 years, and it pains me to go to the gym and see people using these wrong, especially if it is in a way that they are going to get hurt (poor posture especially can put bad bad strain on your back).

If anyone is really interested, feel free to post a video and I would be happy to remote coach your technique :)

Yep.. I had no idea those machines were called anything other than rowing machines! You learn something new every day. :)

That techniques video was awesome. I'm going to hang onto that one - may even try to find a way to incorporate it into the OMFG manual somewhere.

Remote coach you say...

Eating has been going very well this week especially breakfasts and lunches, keeping below 2,000 cals a day while hitting protein and fiber goals with more fruits and veggies than normal. I plan to go to the gym tonight, tomorrow probably won't be possible because I have an after work meeting and won't make it home until 9ish but I can eat with that in mind. Friday I am planning on going to 6 am kickboxing class, depending on how the day goes might do evening lifting. I'll do a Saturday morning workout either yoga, running or lifting or some combo thereof then the party is that night and I anticipate Sunday to be a day off.

I haven't weighed myself lately, but will tonight. I am expecting to see some numbers dropping as my clothes are fitting better, but I must have put on some muscle too, so we'll see.

Goal for the day- Laundry must happen all of it and folded and put away. End of story. I am out of clothes.

Eating has been going very well this week especially breakfasts and lunches, keeping below 2,000 cals a day while hitting protein and fiber goals with more fruits and veggies than normal. I plan to go to the gym tonight, tomorrow probably won't be possible because I have an after work meeting and won't make it home until 9ish but I can eat with that in mind. Friday I am planning on going to 6 am kickboxing class, depending on how the day goes might do evening lifting. I'll do a Saturday morning workout either yoga, running or lifting or some combo thereof then the party is that night and I anticipate Sunday to be a day off.

I haven't weighed myself lately, but will tonight. I am expecting to see some numbers dropping as my clothes are fitting better, but I must have put on some muscle too, so we'll see.

Goal for the day- Laundry must happen all of it and folded and put away. End of story. I am out of clothes.

Good luck on the weigh in - but like you said, it's not the number - it's how you feel! :)

I feel you on the laundry hahah.

I hear you on the laundry, it took up my entire tuesday night.

Congrats on the eating well, it seems like the on of the hardest things to maintain mindfulness in. Keep it up!

I took a hard look at the ERG this morning at the gym, and then continued on to my strength workout. Next cardio day i'll give it a shot! :)

How'd the weigh-in go? Was it a suspense filled moment like on Biggest Loser? :)

Weigh in was about what I figured, holding steady maybe a pound down, but same area. I am pretty sure I have been adding muscle so I'm not too worried. I haven't been great about getting to the gym this week, but I have been busy and for that means walking a lot and less mindless snacking. Food has gone pretty well too. Doing happy hour and cleaning tonight, gym and cleaning tomorrow morning, then undie party. Will attempt not to eat/drink too badly, but doing it all in so little clothing should be motivating right?

The laundry has been defeated, feeling pretty good about that.

Leaving for vacation next Wednesday early morning so I will be a little quiet on here for a week after that, but hopefully I won't get getting any arson threats and I will get a few good workouts in. I think I should be able to eat pretty responsibly as well. Work is kind of nuts, so I am really glad to get away, it will be a good reset for when I get home.

I took a hard look at the ERG this morning at the gym, and then continued on to my strength workout.

Haha, that is a machine I have had lots of long looks at and then walked away. For a first time on erg, I recommend to try a 500 meter piece. on the screen, press "meters" and then use the arrows to make it read 500, press enter and go.

For a steady speed, 2:30 is like jogging, 2:10 is decent and 2:00 is pretty quick sub 2...color me impressed (the number I am referring to is the big number on the screen,which is your 500 meter split, which means if you were to row a whole 500 meters with strokes exactly like that single stroke the big number is the time it would take) Since you are doing 500 meter pieces, it is also what you should be aiming for for your final time.

3 good things to focus on are:

posture

using leg muscles first, then back, then arms in a fluid motion

watch the chain as it goes in and out of the flywheel, it should stay about level

It's not so bad, and as long as you keep that posture, pretty hard to hurt yourself. I have never seen anyone fall or get slapped in the face with the handle or anything...