Aeryn vs Gravity

Aeryn

Congrats on the push-ups!

I would move on to decline.  You really can't go wrong with either, but I find declines work the chest a lot more and have always found diamonds super easy (easier than regular push-ups, actually).  You could also try twisting push-ups or push-ups on rings if you have access to them.

Easier? Haha, tell that to my nose :D I tried diamond full of confidence because I could do 20 pushups in a row, I miserably fall face on the floor, it made me remember humility :P

If I'm not mistaken, diamonds are more triceps while pushups are chest/biceps. So I consider them as a good complementary workout.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Easier? Haha, tell that to my nose :D I tried diamond full of confidence because I could do 20 pushups in a row, I miserably fall face on the floor, it made me remember humility :tongue:

If I'm not mistaken, diamonds are more triceps while pushups are chest/biceps. So I consider them as a good complementary workout.

Maybe I should have finished this with a "but I have really big triceps"? ;)  Just realized that you could also do what I do and rotate the types of push-ups you do.  I switch back and forth between regular (with weight), dips, twisting, and ring push-ups.  Strength in one directly translates to strength in the others.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Congrats on the push-ups!

I would move on to decline.  You really can't go wrong with either, but I find declines work the chest a lot more and have always found diamonds super easy (easier than regular push-ups, actually).  You could also try http://youtu.be/Tu0dtvyKtRU'>twisting push-ups or push-ups on rings if you have access to them.

Thanks! I'll have to try diamonds and see how they feel. I like the idea of declines just because I spent so much time working my way down the steps to be able to to a standard push-up, it'd be cool to work my way back up them now.

Easier? Haha, tell that to my nose :D I tried diamond full of confidence because I could do 20 pushups in a row, I miserably fall face on the floor, it made me remember humility :P

Ahaha, that's hilarious. It's amazing how just moving your hands can make a huge difference.

Maybe I should have finished this with a "but I have really big triceps"? ;)  Just realized that you could also do what I do and rotate the types of push-ups you do.  I switch back and forth between regular (with weight), dips, twisting, and ring push-ups.  Strength in one directly translates to strength in the others.

That makes a lot of sense- I'd never seen twisting ones before, and I'm also plotting to get rings since no one gave them to me for Christmas :) . Everything gets more complicated as you get stronger, it seems!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Wow, yeah, there are so many variations to go to once you get those standard push ups. And like a lot of people already mentioned, most of them aren't inherently "harder" or "easier" than others, they work different muscles. Wide grip push ups work chest extra, diamonds work triceps extra, ect. For declines, I don't actually know what the theory is, but I feel them on the tops of my shoulders more than anywhere else. 

Plyo push ups, trying to get your hands off the ground. 

One arm push ups on the counter top, working your way back down again. 

Uneven pushups, archer push ups...

Oh dear, you got me going...

What are your eventual push up goals? What are you trying to get to?

[and PS, CONGRATS on the push up level up to begin with!]

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

It doesn't have to... it's just more fun that way. ;)

So true! I'm loving having options, there are just so many!

Great work on the push ups! You could also try changing the tempo. I've been doing 4 count down and exploding back up. Feels very different. :)

Thanks! I'll have to try this too - thanks for the suggestion!

Wow, yeah, there are so many variations to go to once you get those standard push ups. And like a lot of people already mentioned, most of them aren't inherently "harder" or "easier" than others, they work different muscles. Wide grip push ups work chest extra, diamonds work triceps extra, ect. For declines, I don't actually know what the theory is, but I feel them on the tops of my shoulders more than anywhere else. 

Plyo push ups, trying to get your hands off the ground. 

One arm push ups on the counter top, working your way back down again. 

Uneven pushups, archer push ups...

Oh dear, you got me going...

What are your eventual push up goals? What are you trying to get to?

[and PS, CONGRATS on the push up level up to begin with!]

Aaaah, so many pushups! I think my issue here is I don't have a goal! My goal for so long has been to be able to do 10 pushups in a row, or a full workout without modified ones, I never thought about what comes next. I just wanna be stronger. I mean, eventually (way eventually, distant future, land far far away, etc) it would be the COOLEST THING EVAR to be able to do a handstand pushup. So.. yeah. I will start trying variations!

[PS, thanks!]

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Can you get up into a handstand against a wall?

Sort of? I can walk my feet up the wall, but so far haven't gotten my hands closer to the wall. I'm working on it, though!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Sort of? I can walk my feet up the wall, but so far haven't gotten my hands closer to the wall. I'm working on it, though!

What about the other way?  Kick up with your back to the wall?

Reason I'm asking... I got the handstand push-up in less than six weeks by placing a stack of books on the ground and then kicking up into a handstand on a wall next to it.  Then I would lower myself until my head touched the books, taking most of my weight off of my arms and putting it on my head, and then pushing back up again.  When I could get 3 sets of at least 5 reps, I'd remove a book and increase the range of motion.  Worked really well for me, and I'm using the same technique now with the handstand on the parallel bars.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

What about the other way?  Kick up with your back to the wall?

Reason I'm asking... I got the handstand push-up in less than six weeks by placing a stack of books on the ground and then kicking up into a handstand on a wall next to it.  Then I would lower myself until my head touched the books, taking most of my weight off of my arms and putting it on my head, and then pushing back up again.  When I could get 3 sets of at least 5 reps, I'd remove a book and increase the range of motion.  Worked really well for me, and I'm using the same technique now with the handstand on the parallel bars.

Haven't tried kicking up to the wall yet - though I like that idea just because it'll be easier to get back down! Working on handstands facing the wall yesterday, I crashed twice - once flopped like a seal down onto my chest, and once did a forward roll after bonking my head on the floor. Neither was comfortable. Needs more work, clearly.

It would be awesome if the handstand pushup was closer than I think, though! I will have to try your method once I can stay in a handstand for more than a few seconds.

Workout today:

Pushup variety!

1 set of 8 decline pushups, feet on first stair - this didn't feel any harder than standard pushups to me. Next time, feet on second stair!

1 set of 8 diamond pushups -hahaha, that's hilarious. Clearly I haven't got the tricep strength for this yet, did 1 and then did the rest on knees. Bleh.

1 set of 8 twisting pushups - wow, I like these - hard, but good.

3 plyo pushups, getting hands off the ground - oh my gosh these are hard. How are you people getting enough height to CLAP? <---That's rhetorical, obviously - need to be stronger! And maybe try them earlier in the workout. Hah.

Circuit:

1-leg box squats at 17": 8/10/10, extra set of 10 for my weakling left leg.

Negative pullups: 3/3/3

hanging leg lifts, bent knees: 10/10/10

hollow hold: 30 sec bent knees, 30 sec straight legs held at about 80 degrees, 30 sec each leg straight, just off the floor.

glute bridges: 15/15/15

dumbbell rows, 35#: 10/10/10

1-leg squats have taught me that my left leg is significantly weaker than my right, both in raw power and in balance ability. Definitely working on that, though it means my left glute was sore yesterday and my right wasn't - very odd feeling.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Heck yea, already making some progress, Aeryn!

I would move on to decline.  You really can't go wrong with either, but I find declines work the chest a lot more and have always found diamonds super easy (easier than regular push-ups, actually).  You could also try twisting push-ups or push-ups on rings if you have access to them.

This, along with all the other great advice up above is perfect. With BW exercises, you have to limit your leverage w/ gravity to become stronger. Handstand push-ups are the ultimate BEAST push move IMO. Clapping/Plyo push-ups are a close second. And like Wolviedill said when refering to more strength makes things more complicated:

It doesn't have to... it's just more fun that way. ;)

Couldn't of said it any better myself :)

You're doing EXCELLENT, Aeryn, just keep at it!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

My favorite part of your pic is the Strongbow cider in the background... yum!

I'm with you on having your goals based on an amount of work rather than a specific record number of reps or time or whatever.  Better (for me at least) to just aim for doing the best I can at something without stressing over the particular magnitude of the results, per se.

Cheers, JF

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

My favorite part of your pic is the Strongbow cider in the background... yum!

I'm with you on having your goals based on an amount of work rather than a specific record number of reps or time or whatever.  Better (for me at least) to just aim for doing the best I can at something without stressing over the particular magnitude of the results, per se.

I love that you recognized it from the sliver of label that's showing! It is so good.

And yeah, this goal structure seems to work better for me, since I'm not so good at predicting what's going to be possible for me in six weeks - I just don't know enough about how I build strength or how hard certain things are.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Oh, I totally meant to note this about handstand practice last night- despite crashing twice, it was awesome. i came home from work all grouchy and tired and with a headache, and decided I might as well change into workout clothes and do my handstand work even though I REALLY didn't feel like it. And I walked myself up the wall and held it for maybe ten seconds and bonked my head on my way to doing a forward roll out of it, and I sat on the floor and laughed at myself for a minute, and then tried again. And after ten minutes, when my arms were shaking even starting to walk up the wall, my mood had totally changed, I was excited to go out with a friend for dinner, and my headache was gone. It was awesome.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

And yeah, this goal structure seems to work better for me, since I'm not so good at predicting what's going to be possible for me in six weeks - I just don't know enough about how I build strength or how hard certain things are.

I'm thinking of not counting reps while working out (for routines that I do regularly).  I'll do everything once to get my starting stats and then not worry about it all until week 3.  Count everything again to check in, and then stop until the end of the challenge.  I've noticed that every time I've hit a plateau it's been a mental one and not a strength one.  Trying to figure out ways around this!

Oh, I totally meant to note this about handstand practice last night- despite crashing twice, it was awesome. i came home from work all grouchy and tired and with a headache, and decided I might as well change into workout clothes and do my handstand work even though I REALLY didn't feel like it. And I walked myself up the wall and held it for maybe ten seconds and bonked my head on my way to doing a forward roll out of it, and I sat on the floor and laughed at myself for a minute, and then tried again. And after ten minutes, when my arms were shaking even starting to walk up the wall, my mood had totally changed, I was excited to go out with a friend for dinner, and my headache was gone. It was awesome.

AWESOME.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Sometimes you have to turn the world upside down to make things right again. :) Glad you had a good practice!

Aeryn!! I knew I still had to track you down, you Rebel, you! Handstands sound so cool! Maybe working up to handwalking?? The food looks sooo good and is a great goal. Thanks for coming to find me - I'm still figuring out all the changes they made to forums and searching for what was subscriptions. Found it once, then forgot where I found it so I'm was so happy to see you pop up on my thread! Good luck with the goals - you go this!!

Level 4 Human Adventurer:  current challenge  ||| battle log stardate: 4/15-5/27/13STR - 4 | DEX - 4.5 | STA - 5.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 7 | CHA - 6You want me to do something... tell me I can't do it. -Maya Angelou

That's such a win! Congrats! Especially on trying again after bonking your head. A lot of people would just have been like "Ow, let's not do that again."

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Sounds like you are doing well. I'd love to know what you are doing for your handstand practice. I want to get into inversions and need more info on how to get there.

Keep laughing

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Aeryn!! I knew I still had to track you down, you Rebel, you! Handstands sound so cool! Maybe working up to handwalking?? The food looks sooo good and is a great goal. Thanks for coming to find me - I'm still figuring out all the changes they made to forums and searching for what was subscriptions. Found it once, then forgot where I found it so I'm was so happy to see you pop up on my thread! Good luck with the goals - you go this!!

Yay, glad you found me! In case you've lost it again, your "subscriptions" are now "content I follow" under the drop-down with your name in the top right corner. And the little star/dot on the thread name takes you to the first new post. New forums are always an adventure...

That's such a win! Congrats! Especially on trying again after bonking your head. A lot of people would just have been like "Ow, let's not do that again."

Hah, a lot of people probably have better self-preservation instincts than I do. :) I'm thinking of inflating my air mattress so next time I crash I have some actual padding.

Sounds like you are doing well. I'd love to know what you are doing for your handstand practice. I want to get into inversions and need more info on how to get there.

Keep laughing

Thanks! I'm basically following this progression, though I'm impatient, so I'm only on the second stage of the hollow body hold and I'm already walking my feet up the wall and holding the handstand facing the wall. My shoulder strength is currently a limiting factor, so I'm also working on crow pose, though it's pretty different-feeling from the handstand, just holding up my full weight on my arms seems worthwhile. I hope that helps some!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Heh, stalking, subscribing, pursuing down dark alleyways, it's all the same, right? Glad you're back!

Feel obliged to say that I'll be following your progress as well. Perhaps I'll have some useful to input at some point, but if not I'll be here for moral support at least.

aisis, Level 2 Wood Elf AssassinSTR 3|DEX 5|STA 5|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

1st Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22206-prologue-and-exposition/

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/25678-aisis-part-one-performance/#entry443199

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/25680-aisiss-battle-log/#entry443214

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines