Aeryn vs Gravity

Aeryn

Way to tell Newton where he can stick his laws of physics!

Also, I'll definitely be following/stealing recipe ideas :) 

"Before I do anything I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Kurt Schrute

Level 2 Cossack Assassin

STR: 2.5 DEX: 2.5 STA:CON:WIS:CHA: 5

i am pursuing your thread down dark alleyways as well... which I feel like is JUST creepy enough!  

so, as a fellow handstander, I was wondering where you generally do your practice?  and on what kind of surface?  I was trying it today and walked up the wall but as I walked my hands closer and then eventually tried to walk back down, it got a little scary... I want to try the roll out, but feel like I will probably just end up breaking my neck, which is definitely one of my unwritten un-goals.  It was discouraging... But coming here and seeing your progress has reinvigorated me!  I will do more work tomorrow since it is my workout rest day.  

Also, hollow body is kinda brutal.  I just got to the "legs extended" stage, and it gets quite hard to push your lower back down while simultaneously keeping your legs straight and low to the ground.  How are you doing on this?

Sorry to bombard your thread with so many questions, but you seem to be doing so well, I figured I could benefit from your expertise! ;o)

Keep up the ass kicking!

Chriskra, Level 1 Night Elf Ranger

STR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 4

"The only easy day was yesterday"

Feel obliged to say that I'll be following your progress as well. Perhaps I'll have some useful to input at some point, but if not I'll be here for moral support at least.
Way to tell Newton where he can stick his laws of physics!

Also, I'll definitely be following/stealing recipe ideas :)

i am pursuing your thread down dark alleyways as well... which I feel like is JUST creepy enough!  

so, as a fellow handstander, I was wondering where you generally do your practice?  and on what kind of surface?  I was trying it today and walked up the wall but as I walked my hands closer and then eventually tried to walk back down, it got a little scary... I want to try the roll out, but feel like I will probably just end up breaking my neck, which is definitely one of my unwritten un-goals.  It was discouraging... But coming here and seeing your progress has reinvigorated me!  I will do more work tomorrow since it is my workout rest day.  

Also, hollow body is kinda brutal.  I just got to the "legs extended" stage, and it gets quite hard to push your lower back down while simultaneously keeping your legs straight and low to the ground.  How are you doing on this?

Sorry to bombard your thread with so many questions, but you seem to be doing so well, I figured I could benefit from your expertise! ;o)

Keep up the ass kicking!

Aw yay, more stalkers! I feel so loved. Or creeped on, same difference...

Yeah, the handstanding is intimidating. I'm doing it in a spare bedroom, with some blankets on the floor as a crash pad - but I'm now planning on inflating my air mattress to give myself a really cushy landing pad, since I was not thrilled with bonking my head last time. I'm hoping that'll help, because I'm definitely not a fan of having to walk my hands back out from the wall just to get down - once I want to get down, I want to get down FAST. I'm thinking the safety of the air mattress will make it so I don't have to worry about getting down painfully - I can just flop if I have to.

Hollow body is indeed beastly - I'm not up to the extended leg stage, because I can't currently keep my lower back on the floor with my legs out. I'm going to claim this is 'cause I have long legs so the leverage is HUGE, but it's really that my abs are weak. So I'm still working on the "bent legs" and "legs straight but only just beyond straight up in the air" versions.

And hey, I am always up for answering questions - I'm just psyched I've been around long enough to know something!

Workout this morning:

Pullup: 20 sec flex hold, 5 sec negatives: 3/3/3 - last negative was more like a 2-sec negative, my forearms were DONE.

Circuit:

Lunges: 10/10/10

One-leg box squats, 17" - 10/10/10, extra 10 for left leg

Pushups, standard: 8/10/10

Dumbbell rows, 35#: 10/10/12 (likely need to up the weight on these)

RPoD, 1 min front/back, 45 sec sides, 3x

Pretty good morning, though the sides on the RPoD were unusually tough today - not sure what's going on there.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Air mattress is a success! Tuck chin to chest, fall over onto nice soft surface, works perfectly. Now I just have to build shoulder and ab strength. Which is going to take a lot longer than setting up the air mattress did. Patience is so very not one of my virtues. Ah well, I'll get there eventually. Had an amusing crow pose moment where I was drifting from having a toe on the ground to having my chin on the mattress and back - don't think I can count that as "balanced." Good fun, though.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Great idea to use the air mattress. Crow pose is great for laughing at one self. I have a cold and was doing the crow pose today and landed on my forehead,haven't done that in a whole

Wisdom 20   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I am about to start working on my crow pose as well, just for the hand balance.  Per your advice, I also did some work on my handstand prep.  First thing I did was go into my yard and practice sommersaulting (which my dogs thought was highly amusing), then proceeded to use an old memory foam mattress topper to make a crash pad.  I managed to roll out of several attempts, and even my failures didnt hurt too badly.  I am currently using a door at the end of my hallway since that area presents the least opportunity for breaking stuff (property or anatomy).  And I have the same problem with the long legs, creates quite a leverage issue.  BUT WE SHALL PREVAIL!  I'm glad to have a handstand buddy on here!

Great idea to use the air mattress. Crow pose is great for laughing at one self. I have a cold and was doing the crow pose today and landed on my forehead,haven't done that in a whole

Yup, crow pose can be all sorts of amusing - other funny thing was the cat wandering under me during crow pose - I ended up having to fall sideways to not land on her! 

I am about to start working on my crow pose as well, just for the hand balance.  Per your advice, I also did some work on my handstand prep.  First thing I did was go into my yard and practice sommersaulting (which my dogs thought was highly amusing), then proceeded to use an old memory foam mattress topper to make a crash pad.  I managed to roll out of several attempts, and even my failures didnt hurt too badly.  I am currently using a door at the end of my hallway since that area presents the least opportunity for breaking stuff (property or anatomy).  And I have the same problem with the long legs, creates quite a leverage issue.  BUT WE SHALL PREVAIL!  I'm glad to have a handstand buddy on here!

Yay for rolling out and avoiding pain! We'll get there eventually!

Glad that you've found something that works so well! I have that  "get down NOW" feeling as well, lol.

Haha, yeah, once my arms are done, they're DONE. Collapsing onto my face doesn't sound fun.

New discovery - holding your breath in handstand is a bad idea! After I posted last night, I noticed in the mirror that I have little red dots all around my eyes and the upper half of my face. A little research tells me this is petechiae, caused by lots of tiny burst blood vessels... in this case, because I forgot to breathe during a couple of my handstand attempts, and with all the blood that rushed to my head, not breathing pushed the pressure up just a little too high. Luckily, from a distance I just look a little extra-freckly, but I'm going to have to pay attention to my breathing a lot more in future!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Yup, crow pose can be all sorts of amusing - other funny thing was the cat wandering under me during crow pose - I ended up having to fall sideways to not land on her!

Haha, this is hilarious.

Occasionally one of our dogs wanders into my rollout zone while I'm holding a handstand.  Fortuntely it doesn't take but a few words to convice them that there is someone at the front door, and they clear out fast.

For rolling out I have a set of padded gym floor tiles that I set up in front of my handstand wall.  They are a lot bigger than yoga mats, yet still easy to put away when not in use.  Didn't cost but about $15 (Wal Mart I think).

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Glad to see the handstands are coming along.  I might have to conside that in a future challenge.  Some of what I want to explore is the Assasin stuff, but have just been too big to do it.  I am finally getting down to a strength/weight ratio that I can start to consider some of the basics.  Yeah I know, an Assasin Ogre who would have thought.

But I am just starting some Ranger training stuff too, and will probably do some Warrior training again after my Spartan Race in April.

Anyway, I have taken the long path to say that I am really impressed with the dedication to the handstands!  WOOT!

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

Luckily, from a distance I just look a little extra-freckly, but I'm going to have to pay attention to my breathing a lot more in future!

You are just working on your scary face, to intimidate your foes.  

Wandering Artist Level 2

STR: 7 | DEX: 2 | CON: 6 | STA: 4 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 3My ArtChallenge Thread: Is Someone Baking Something?"Are all people like this?""Like what?""So much bigger on the inside."

Haha, this is hilarious.

Occasionally one of our dogs wanders into my rollout zone while I'm holding a handstand. Fortuntely it doesn't take but a few words to convice them that there is someone at the front door, and they clear out fast.

For rolling out I have a set of padded gym floor tiles that I set up in front of my handstand wall. They are a lot bigger than yoga mats, yet still easy to put away when not in use. Didn't cost but about $15 (Wal Mart I think).

No fair, dogs are so much easier to convince to move than cats. Unless there's tuna. Huh, hadn't thought about floor tiles- I'm liking the cushier mattress right now, but when I get more competent, those could be a better semi-permanent solution for floor padding. Thanks for the idea!
Man you are killing it!! The mattress is a great idea. I use it for my hand sands too. I feel you on the hollow hold vs long legs dillema.
Heh, there's a reason gymnasts are all tiny! We're working against our genetics, here.
Glad to see the handstands are coming along. I might have to conside that in a future challenge. Some of what I want to explore is the Assasin stuff, but have just been too big to do it. I am finally getting down to a strength/weight ratio that I can start to consider some of the basics. Yeah I know, an Assasin Ogre who would have thought.

But I am just starting some Ranger training stuff too, and will probably do some Warrior training again after my Spartan Race in April.

Anyway, I have taken the long path to say that I am really impressed with the dedication to the handstands! WOOT!

Thanks for stopping by- and I look forward to seeing you defeat you Ranger goals and come join the Assassins for a while!
You are just working on your scary face, to intimidate your foes.
Ahaha, I love this idea, rather than it just being me being my usual goofy self. :) It's cleared up now, at least until tomorrow when I do more handstand work!

New recipe number two is complete! Chicken piccata, otherwise known as chicken with lemon/caper sauce. It was pretty good, though it turns out, I'm not a huge fan of capers. Whoops. I don't mind the flavor they impart to the dish, I just don't like the little caper-flavored explosion of taste you get when you eat the actual caper. So I ended up removing all the capers from my leftovers so I don't have to avoid them. And now I've typed the word "caper" so many times it doesn't look like a word anymore.

med_gallery_9192_22_473158.jpg

Had juggling club this morning - got three separate runs of over 20 catches of 8-club with David. This is serious progress, and I'm totally excited. I think my increased strength actually is a factor- I'm not tiring out as fast during longer runs.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

New recipe number two is complete! Chicken piccata, otherwise known as chicken with lemon/caper sauce. It was pretty good, though it turns out, I'm not a huge fan of capers. Whoops. I don't mind the flavor they impart to the dish, I just don't like the little caper-flavored explosion of taste you get when you eat the actual caper. So I ended up removing all the capers from my leftovers so I don't have to avoid them. And now I've typed the word "caper" so many times it doesn't look like a word anymore.

med_gallery_9192_22_473158.jpg

Had juggling club this morning - got three separate runs of over 20 catches of 8-club with David. This is serious progress, and I'm totally excited. I think my increased strength actually is a factor- I'm not tiring out as fast during longer runs.

Thats so great that you're trying new recipes with ingredients that you don't even know if you like! Turns out sometimes that answer is "yuck", but it's the only way we find out, right? I'm not sure if I ever tasted caper, is it olive-y in taste? 

Way to go on the juggling!! That is beyond crazy. Do we get another video?

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

i have found capers to be good in my tuna salad... just a thought!

all your food looks delicious.  I have this bad habit of checking up on you at the end of the night and you make me very hungry.  So thanks for that...  :nonchalance:

in other news, the fact that you juggle makes you that much more awesome in my book... and you were already starting off pretty high.

How have the handstands been coming? advancing in hollow body?

Thats so great that you're trying new recipes with ingredients that you don't even know if you like! Turns out sometimes that answer is "yuck", but it's the only way we find out, right? I'm not sure if I ever tasted caper, is it olive-y in taste?

Way to go on the juggling!! That is beyond crazy. Do we get another video?

Yeah, capers are kind of olive-y, definitely salty, plus an herby floral flavor that I'm not a fan of. Ah well.

You may get another video- a couple of the guys got new cameras recently, so they've been filming various moments- I'll have to see if anyone caught one of our more stable runs.

i have found capers to be good in my tuna salad... just a thought!

all your food looks delicious. I have this bad habit of checking up on you at the end of the night and you make me very hungry. So thanks for that... :nonchalance:

in other news, the fact that you juggle makes you that much more awesome in my book... and you were already starting off pretty high.

How have the handstands been coming? advancing in hollow body?

Huh, maybe in tuna the capers won't taste so strong. Thanks for the idea!

Clearly you need to bring a snack when you read my thread so the deliciousness doesn't get you.

Heh, the juggling is one of my favorite things- the fact that strength is making a difference for it makes me really happy.

Handstands are moving slowly- but I did get through the second stage of hollow body this morning, so I'm now trying to figure out how to hold my feet off the ground, my legs straight, and my back touching the ground all at once. This step may take a while.

Workout this am:

Push-up variety pack:

Decline push-ups, feet on second stair: 8

Plyo push-ups: 4

Diamond push-ups: 4

Twisting push-ups: 10

Circuit:

Pull-up negatives:3/3/3

Hanging leg raises: 10/10/10

Lunges: 10/10/10

1-leg squats, 14" bench(17"table): 8(7)/6(9)/5(10), extra 10 for left leg

Dumbbell rows, 37.5 lbs: 8/8/8

Hollow body work for 2 min

Glute bridges: 15/15/15

Lower surface for squats made a huge difference- the bottom of the motion is the hardest part. Also upped the weight for dumbbell rows, may go ahead and up it to 40 for next time.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Also this morning, recipe number 3, this time a breakfast option! These egg cups made with a slice of ham, an egg, and some cheese. They were awesome. I also had some minced shallot left over from last night's recipe, and some mushrooms, so I made some different versions - plain, shallots only, mushrooms only, and shallot plus mushroom. They are all awesome. Cooked them a bit longer than the recipe says because I wanted the yolks a little firmer, and it worked perfectly. Plus, I have leftovers for the rest of the week now.

med_gallery_9192_22_220616.jpg

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Also this morning, recipe number 3, this time a breakfast option! These egg cups made with a slice of ham, an egg, and some cheese. They were awesome. I also had some minced shallot left over from last night's recipe, and some mushrooms, so I made some different versions - plain, shallots only, mushrooms only, and shallot plus mushroom. They are all awesome. Cooked them a bit longer than the recipe says because I wanted the yolks a little firmer, and it worked perfectly. Plus, I have leftovers for the rest of the week now.

These look awesome, I'm going to have to try making this recipe.

aisis, Level 2 Wood Elf AssassinSTR 3|DEX 5|STA 5|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

1st Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22206-prologue-and-exposition/

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/25678-aisis-part-one-performance/#entry443199

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/25680-aisiss-battle-log/#entry443214

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."

First of all, your food photography is AMAZING!! It's gorgeous! 

Secondly, that is a briliant idea! Such a quick breakfast thing to have in the fridge, and they look delicious! 

And thirdly, can't wait for the juggling videos. 

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Those egg cups look super yummy

They are! They're even good reheated as leftovers, as I discovered this morning. Yay.

you just use muffin pans for those? That is quite a novel idea, and very inspirational!  Carry on.

Yup - standard muffin pan has 12 slots, so you can do a dozen eggs in one batch. Convenient!

First of all, your food photography is AMAZING!! It's gorgeous! 

Secondly, that is a briliant idea! Such a quick breakfast thing to have in the fridge, and they look delicious! 

And thirdly, can't wait for the juggling videos. 

Hey, thanks - it's just my iPhone, but any gorgeousness is likely due to the lovely light my kitchen gets. 

Yeah, quick and easy breakfast is a very good thing.

I'm checking on whether the juggling videos exist - if not, I'll try to get a clip next weekend.

I guess it's week 1 recap time!

1. Handstand progression - 100% - actually did 4 sessions, still working on getting my hands closer to the wall - my first handstand yesterday got pretty close, but I need to get stronger to be able to hold it. Now that I have a good crash pad set up, it's less terrifying, so that's progress!

2. Bodyweight workout - 100% - did all three sessions, adding extra weight and trying new things for pushups and abs. The back pain I started the challenge with is mostly gone, too.

3. Recipe variety - 100% - tried two new recipes this week, discovered my dislike of capers, found a new breakfast recipe that's easy and makes good leftovers - success!

4. TV stand - 100% - started drawing up plans for the stand, pulled two large boards I've been thinking of using for this project and started sanding them. Need to finalize the plans and work out what sizes of wood I'm going to need to buy, or if I can do it entirely out of existing scrap.

Excellent week, looking forward to the next one!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Great job, Aeryn!  I especially like the egg recipe.  I'd never liked eggs before but I've been coming around to them more since getting fit.  We had some tasty veggie & sausage omelets this weekend.

jfrankovich

Level 5 Scout

I've run 306 miles in 2013!Current Challenge // 4th Challenge // 3rd Challenge // 2nd Challenge // 1st Challenge

Whether training or racing, a ScoutCannot wait to lace up and get outFor a ride or a run—It's rewarding and funTo set forth and explore a new route.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines