Aeryn vs Gravity

Aeryn

Great job, Aeryn!  I especially like the egg recipe.  I'd never liked eggs before but I've been coming around to them more since getting fit.  We had some tasty veggie & sausage omelets this weekend.

Thanks! I love eggs in all their forms - except deviled and covered with cheese sauce. Bad associations on that one. But every other possible way is awesome. Glad you're finding some versions you enjoy!

Great first week.
Great first week. I'm glad I subscribed, this is inspiring to me.

Thanks!

Workout today:

Pullups, negatives: 4/4/4. Tried for a flexed arm hold on the last one, but my forearms had nothing left to give me.

Circuit:

Hanging leg raises, bent knees: 10/10/10

1-leg box squats, 14": 8/8/8

1-leg box squats, 17", left leg only: 10/10/10

pushups: 10/10/10

Dumbbell rows, 37.5 lbs: 10/10/10

RPoD, 1 min front back, 45 sec sides: 1/1/1

I had a moment this morning, between my second and third sets, when I thought "when does this get EASIER?" And then I realized that was silly - of course it gets easier, but then I make it harder - because once it's easy, it's not doing anything for me. Six weeks ago I'd just done my first real pushup - today I did sets of ten. Six weeks ago I couldn't do a single 1-leg 14" box squat with my left leg. Today I did 24. Six weeks ago, my negative pullups were me desperately trying not to fall straight off the bar. Today, my last one was like that, but I'd already done 11. Part of me wants to go back and do one of my workouts from a couple challenges ago, just to remind myself how far I've come.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I had a moment this morning, between my second and third sets, when I thought "when does this get EASIER?" And then I realized that was silly - of course it gets easier, but then I make it harder - because once it's easy, it's not doing anything for me. Six weeks ago I'd just done my first real pushup - today I did sets of ten. Six weeks ago I couldn't do a single 1-leg 14" box squat with my left leg. Today I did 24. Six weeks ago, my negative pullups were me desperately trying not to fall straight off the bar. Today, my last one was like that, but I'd already done 11. Part of me wants to go back and do one of my workouts from a couple challenges ago, just to remind myself how far I've come.

^THIS.

This is totally awesome. It's what leveling up is all about. I love your attitude! This is such an inspiring paragraph.

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

^THIS.

This is totally awesome. It's what leveling up is all about. I love your attitude! This is such an inspiring paragraph.

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Also this morning, recipe number 3, this time a breakfast option! These egg cups made with a slice of ham, an egg, and some cheese. They were awesome. I also had some minced shallot left over from last night's recipe, and some mushrooms, so I made some different versions - plain, shallots only, mushrooms only, and shallot plus mushroom. They are all awesome. Cooked them a bit longer than the recipe says because I wanted the yolks a little firmer, and it worked perfectly. Plus, I have leftovers for the rest of the week now.

med_gallery_9192_22_220616.jpg

OMG you are my favorite person in the world right now. I've seen these with toast (nope) and with bacon (too much work). But HAM SLICES! Dude. 

Wandering Artist Level 2

STR: 7 | DEX: 2 | CON: 6 | STA: 4 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 3My ArtChallenge Thread: Is Someone Baking Something?"Are all people like this?""Like what?""So much bigger on the inside."

What a great first week! And such great progress with your workouts. It can be easy to forget how far we've come. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Absolutely - I needed reminding too, clearly!

^THIS. This is totally awesome. It's what leveling up is all about. I love your attitude! This is such an inspiring paragraph.

Thanks! It can be so hard to realize the levels you've already achieved when you're looking ahead at all the things you haven't accomplished.

OMG you are my favorite person in the world right now. I've seen these with toast (nope) and with bacon (too much work). But HAM SLICES! Dude. 

Heh. Glad to have introduced you to the awesomeness - these are pretty great. I had one this morning with leftover steak from last night's dinner, and wow, that is an amazing way to start a day.

Missed my swim Monday because of a lunch meeting (with pizza. LOVE pizza. Do not love missing my swim, though.) Swam yesterday to make up for it, particularly since it counts for the unofficial assassin mini-challenge (thanks, Nuala!). I have to remember that days where I do a bodyweight workout AND a swim are days where I come home and go SPLAT on the couch. So no handstand work last night - I'll make up for it tonight. I did swim today, too, and had my favorite lane partner, who's just enough faster than I am that I can keep up for a couple laps if I sprint. So I end up sprinting a lot more than usual, because I'm competitive like that. It was great.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I did swim today, too, and had my favorite lane partner, who's just enough faster than I am that I can keep up for a couple laps if I sprint. So I end up sprinting a lot more than usual, because I'm competitive like that. It was great.

Nice!  A workout buddy.  Sorta. ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Nice!  A workout buddy.  Sorta. ;)

Yeah - turns out we might make the workout buddy-ness official. I had to email him about something unrelated, and mentioned how much I like swimming with him, and he responded by asking if I'd like to purposely sync our schedules, since he likes having someone to swim with too. And there are a couple other regular lunchtime swimmers who he wants to check with too, see if we can get a mini- team type thing happening. Could be excellent!

Did my ten minutes of handstand work tonight - got my first real handstand, by which I mean I got my hands as close to the wall as they needed to be and tapped my feet off the wall for a couple seconds. And then promptly faceplanted into my crash pad. Mental note - tuck the chin and roll when your elbows give out, that's why you have a crash pad!

After that I did 10 reps of walk-up-the-wall and hold it for 10 seconds, with breaks as needed for breathing and rest so my arms would stop shaking. Sets ended up going 5/3/2. Then crow pose a couple times, got a 12-sec hold, which is actual progress! Someone posted a video that talked about squeezing in with your legs - that's made a huge difference in my stability for crow. Yay hand balancing!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Yeah - turns out we might make the workout buddy-ness official. I had to email him about something unrelated, and mentioned how much I like swimming with him, and he responded by asking if I'd like to purposely sync our schedules, since he likes having someone to swim with too. And there are a couple other regular lunchtime swimmers who he wants to check with too, see if we can get a mini- team type thing happening. Could be excellent! Did my ten minutes of handstand work tonight - got my first real handstand, by which I mean I got my hands as close to the wall as they needed to be and tapped my feet off the wall for a couple seconds. And then promptly faceplanted into my crash pad. Mental note - tuck the chin and roll when your elbows give out, that's why you have a crash pad! After that I did 10 reps of walk-up-the-wall and hold it for 10 seconds, with breaks as needed for breathing and rest so my arms would stop shaking. Sets ended up going 5/3/2. Then crow pose a couple times, got a 12-sec hold, which is actual progress! Someone posted a video that talked about squeezing in with your legs - that's made a huge difference in my stability for crow. Yay hand balancing!

Thats awesome on three counts! A mini-team would be so cool. It's so nice to workout with others. Brings out that competitive edge that pushes you just a little farther than you would have gone if you were by yourself! 

And a full handstand!! That deserves a full and proper W00T!  :triumphant:  A few seconds is AMAZING. I can still only hold a handstand for like 9 seconds before I fall, and I've been working on it for months and months. Do care for your face though. Assassin rolls are useful. 

And last but not least, congrats on the crow pose! Also a toughey. Yay for instructional videos!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

And a full handstand!! That deserves a full and proper W00T!  :triumphant:  A few seconds is AMAZING. I can still only hold a handstand for like 9 seconds before I fall, and I've been working on it for months and months. Do care for your face though. Assassin rolls are useful.

Thanks! The handstand is weird - I have no idea how it's supposed to feel when it's balanced, so I kind of freaked out with my feet off the wall - hence the faceplanting. I have to remind myself that I have no frame of reference for this, so it's going to be lots of experimenting until I find the balance point and what that actually feels like. And remembering to roll would be good. :)

Workout this morning:

Pushup variety pack:

8 decline pushups, 3rd stair. Okay, this is where these get hard. First and second stair weren't bad, third stair is a whole 'nother feeling.

4 diamond pushups

4 close-hand pushups (hands closer together than normal, but not all the way together like diamonds)

10 twisting pushups.

Circuit:

Pullup negatives: 3/3/4

1-leg box squat, 14" bench: 8/8/8 (plus 10/10/10 for left leg at 17")

dumbbell row, 37.5 lb: 10/10/10.

hollow hold: 30 sec each leg straight, 10 sec both legs straight.

glute bridges: 15/15/15

Definitely need to up the weight on dumbbell rows - or give in and get rings so I can do bodyweight rows instead!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Give in and get rings!!!!!!!!!  Love mine... and then you can do dips. :)

Have you tried a freestanding headstand?  You don't have to kick up into it, just bend over and lift your body into position.  I found that it was super helpful to spend just a couple training sessions with it as it closely approximates how your body feels balancing in a full handstand.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

SNOW DAY! Well, snow morning - got to come into work at 11:00 today because of snowy roads. Got to curl up on the couch with the cats and a book - it was perfect. Only thing that could've made it better would be getting the whole day off, and having enough snow to actually play in, but oh well.

Give in and get rings!!!!!!!!!  Love mine... and then you can do dips. :)

Have you tried a freestanding headstand?  You don't have to kick up into it, just bend over and lift your body into position.  I found that it was super helpful to spend just a couple training sessions with it as it closely approximates how your body feels balancing in a full handstand.

Yeah, the rings are in my Amazon cart right now - just have to pull the trigger. And thanks for the headstand idea - I don't know why I'd skipped over that skill, but you're totally right, it's very helpful for figuring out what's going on with my legs while I'm upside down. Did a handstand session last night with another real handstand, 5 walk-up-the-walls, and 5 headstands. It's kind of fun playing with the balance point on the headstand - whether more weight is on your hands or your head, and how far can you push it before you fall over...

Rings are probably a great idea! Anything that gets your body weight engaged and add some instability has got to be a plus. How's your week going?

Yeah, rings seem like all sorts of good fun.

This week's been good, particularly now that the rain turned into snow and then cleared out completely - it is gorgeous and bright outside, which helps my mood significantly. And there may be inner tube water polo at lunchtime, which always makes me happy. :)

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Tell us how you like the rings-they are on my wish list. You are doing a great job on the handstands

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Snow day FTW! I love hearing about your inner tube water polo. It makes me giggle.

Inner tube water polo is the best! I actually scored twice today, which is a big deal because my upper body strength is lacking for making really hard shots. Ooh, and I didn't get flipped at all! And by total chance, I managed to flip a guy who's nearly twice my size because I caught him off-balance. It was great. Also my shoulders are incredibly tired from all the paddling.

Tell us how you like the rings-they are on my wish list. You are doing a great job on the handstands

I'll report back once I get them - I'm looking forward to a new variety of things to try.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Wow! Sounds like you are doing great! How much time do you usually take to do your handstand practice? 

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

This week's been good, particularly now that the rain turned into snow and then cleared out completely - it is gorgeous and bright outside, which helps my mood significantly. And there may be inner tube water polo at lunchtime, which always makes me happy. :)

Inner tube water polo.

Why have I not heard of this glorious sport before?! What have I been missing my whole life? I must try this out soon. If only it wasn't winter... 

On a more important note, great job so far with the challenge. Congrats on the handstand, keep it up! :)

aisis, Level 2 Wood Elf AssassinSTR 3|DEX 5|STA 5|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 3

1st Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22206-prologue-and-exposition/

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/25678-aisis-part-one-performance/#entry443199

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/25680-aisiss-battle-log/#entry443214

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."

Inner tube water polo is the best! I actually scored twice today, which is a big deal because my upper body strength is lacking for making really hard shots. Ooh, and I didn't get flipped at all! And by total chance, I managed to flip a guy who's nearly twice my size because I caught him off-balance. It was great. Also my shoulders are incredibly tired from all the paddling.

NIIIIIICCCCCEEEE

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Wow! Sounds like you are doing great! How much time do you usually take to do your handstand practice? 
I'm requiring 10 minutes for it to count for my goal, but the past few times I've ended up going longer than that since my arms weren't dead yet. I find it easier to convince myself to start, though, if I can just say "it's only ten minutes," and then once I get going I don't want to stop. Inertia, man, it runs my life.
   Inner tube water polo.

Why have I not heard of this glorious sport before?! What have I been missing my whole life? I must try this out soon. If only it wasn't winter... 

On a more important note, great job so far with the challenge. Congrats on the handstand, keep it up! :)

Inner tube water polo was unknown to me until about a year ago. It is the BEST. I seriously spend the entire time grinning like a maniac. We have an indoor pool, so winter cannot stop us!

And thanks for the encouragement!

NIIIIIICCCCCEEEE
:)

New recipe tonight! Chicken with white wine and mushroom sauce. Based on this, though I used white wine and no sugar, because that seemed like a weird addition. Not the prettiest meal, but REALLY tasty.

med_gallery_9192_22_643405.jpg

Level 13 Elven Assassin

New recipe tonight! Chicken with white wine and mushroom sauce. Based on this, though I used white wine and no sugar, because that seemed like a weird addition. Not the prettiest meal, but REALLY tasty.

No the prettiest meal......pfffftttt..

It's gorgeous!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Workout today!

Negative pull-ups, 5 sec: 4/4/4

Circuit:

1-leg box squats, 14" box: 8/8/8, plus an extra set for the left leg

Push-ups: 10/10/10

Dumbbell rows, 40 lbs: 8/8/8

RPoD, 1 min front and back, 45 sec each side, 3x

Ordered rings today- the 40 lb dumbbell rows weren't too hard, and I'm running out of plates to add. Negative pull-ups are getting more controlled, too - I need to retest both my flexed arm hang and dead hang soon.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines