Aeryn vs Gravity

Aeryn

Yikes! how does that even happen? I'm picturing a swimmer sailing out of the pool like a flock of flying fish and breaking the clock.

And then like flip flopping on the deck.

Awkward.

I hope they fix it for you soon.

YAY handstands!!! Kickups are SO different from walk ups. I never knew how difficult kick-ups were when your not used to them until people on this forum were talking about going from walk-ups to kick ups. I tried a walk up the other day and it freaked me out too much, it was way too different! Congrats on spending a whole ten minutes working on it. Thats a serious chunk of time!!

And ps, is that a SLAB of avocado on your plate?!

AWESOME

Haha, turns out it was an inner tube water polo game - someone hit the clock with the ball. Evidently this happened once last year, too. Why they haven't gotten a less breakable clock eludes me. I like your image better, though!!

Thanks - kicking up to handstand was way scary, but I'm really excited to be at this stage. And ten minutes is my minimum for handstand work, just because I'll wimp out early otherwise. I do sit on the floor between attempts and wait for my heart rate to go back to normal, though!

And yes, that is a third of an avocado, because steak plus avocado is bliss. And MOAR avocado is always better. :)

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Workout today:

Pushup variety pack:

8 decline pushups, 4th stair

1 ring pushup, 2 negative ring pushups (holy WOW these are hard!)

10 close-hand pushups

Playing with rings:

Ring support hold, 15 sec

hanging leg raises on rings: 4

Circuit:
Band-assisted pull-ups: 6/6/6

Hanging leg raises, slightly bent knees: 10/10/10

Bodyweight rows, rings: 6/6/6 (lowered the rings so I'm starting nearly flat on the ground. It got harder.)

One-leg stair jumps: 12/12/12

one-leg box squats, 14" bench: 10/10/10

RPoD, 1 min front/back, 45 sec sides: 2x

Hollow hold: 60 sec, 30 sec

Glute bridge: 15

File under "Failure at listening to my body": On my first RPoD, I was feeling like holding the position was way harder than usual, but assumed I was being lazy (I kind of hate planks, recently). On my second RPoD, on the right side, my arm gave out entirely. Only then did I realize that between decline pushups, ring support holds, and ring pushups, I'd already exhausted my shoulders/triceps, and they were done. Also, didn't even think about the fact that I'm doing planks for core strength - if my arms are what's giving out first, probably I should switch to something that challenges the right muscles.... So I did hollow hold for my third circuit. Next time, more focus on why things are hard!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

WHOA! Your workouts keep ketting more insane. I love it. I may need to steal some of them. I'm considering this ring idea. They look like lots of scary fun. Yay for listening to your body [eventually haha] and switching it up. 

Bounty Hunter Jedi Assasin

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Rings are totally fun - all sorts of options open up for you!

Progress on the tv stand: it's assembled! One last coat of poly, and I'll get to wrestle it up the stairs and into my living room. So here's what it looks like:

Tv stand

And this is a closeup of the corner to show off the routed edge. My router is awesome.

Routed tv table

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Challenge wrap-up time!

Goals:

1. Handstand progression. Fighting gravity by being upside down 3x a week, working on handstands. DEX: 3

Did a great job on this - only missed 1 session, and went from never having done a handstand to kicking up to one, and holding a balanced handstand for 6 seconds. I had several crashes, and points where I wasn't sure I was getting any better, but by keeping to the schedule, I've made a lot of progress! 100%

2. Bodyweight workout. Fighting gravity by pulling/pushing my weight in various directions. Plus a couple dumbbells. This is 3x a week, still working particularly towards an actual pullup, and increasing my pushups. STR: 4, STA: 1

Missed 1 session of this - progressed from standard pushups to a variety of harder options, plus my first ring push-up. Pull-ups are still a ways off, but I'm up to 30 seconds flexed arm hang, and negatives are getting more controlled. Also, tried my first pistol squats! 100%

3. Recipe variety. Fighting inertia on this one - I've been eating a lot of the same foods every day, and it's great because I hardly have to think about what to cook. However, it's also getting boring. 6 new recipes cooked gets me full stats on this. CON: 2 WIS: 1

I actually cooked 8 new recipes, and they were all pretty great! Several are going into my standard rotation, and I've still got more new ones to try. 100%

4. TV stand. Fighting gravity by keeping my tv off the ground. I've been procrastinating this project for six months by deciding I needed a Kreg jig to build it. Well, got the jig for Christmas - no more excuses! This will also make my living room look more like I'm an actual adult. WIS: 2, CHA: 2

Built! Not quite done, since it needs a final coat of poly, but everything else for it is done! I didn't gauge my time very well on this - stalled out on it in the middle of the challenge, then had to try to make up for it in the past week. But stain takes time to dry, so I could only make up so much. Nonetheless, it's built, and I'll do the poly tonight! 95%

FInal thoughts: This was an awesome challenge for me. Keeping a regular workout schedule was good, and trying new things during those workouts kept it from getting boring - even though it also meant I sometimes worked to failure without meaning to! Handstand work was a totally new process, and despite some setbacks, I'm really proud of my progress, and that I didn't give up at the times that I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. I participated in a lot of the mini-challenges, and managed to be pretty active in the guild, despite wishing I could keep up with more people. I love this place!

New stats: STR: 13 | DEX: 12 | STA: 11.75 | CON: 10 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 9

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Awesome job on the challenge. And I guess we can stop beating up on each now that we know neither of us is a bear,which is good news for me as you were thouroughly beating me :redface-new:

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

You BUiLT that?!?

You.Are.Amazing.

Thanks! Woodworking is so fun - taking chunks of lumber and turning them into furniture feels like magic, somehow!

Great job all around, Aeryn!  The TV stand looks incredible!

Thanks!

Awesome job on the challenge. And I guess we can stop beating up on each now that we know neither of us is a bear,which is good news for me as you were thouroughly beating me :redface-new:

Aw, now I feel bad! I was just trying to get away from the bear! I was high on mushrooms, I swear! (Wait, that's a horrible excuse... um...)

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Aw, now I feel bad! I was just trying to get away from the bear! I was high on mushrooms, I swear! (Wait, that's a horrible excuse... um...)         

Actually, I'm going with the story that you and I BOTH knew it was each other and were only sparring for practice. The other assassins might have been duped by fermented juice and mushrooms, but we are far too clever for that. :playful:

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Actually, I'm going with the story that you and I BOTH knew it was each other and were only sparring for practice. The other assassins might have been duped by fermented juice and mushrooms, but we are far too clever for that. :playful:

Ooh, I like that story! That's totally what happened! Definitely.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Workout today (for lack of anywhere else to record it...)

Flexed arm hang (sec) 35/20/15

Circuit:

Hanging leg raises: 10/10/10

Bodyweight rows: 6/6/6

1-leg calf raises: 8/8/8

push-ups: 10/10/10, plus 8 incline pushups on rings (these feel really weird).

pistol squat extensions: 2x5sec/2x10sec/2x10sec

doorway pistol squat: 2/2/2

hollow hold (sec); 60/60/60

Triceps are still sore from Sunday's workout, so treated today as a bit of a deload. Pistol squat extensions are interesting - go to the bottom position of a standard squat, then extend one leg in front of you so you're in the bottom position of a pistol. Balance for 10 sec, then pull that leg back in and do the other side. Makes it very clear where my flexibility/strength is lacking (I'm looking at you, right ankle).

Level 13 Elven Assassin

I enjoyed following you this challenge. It was fun seeing your handstand progression, and the TV stand is great. Great job this challenge!

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Way to go keeping up the good work in between challenges!

Thanks! I run on inertia - as long as I keep doing workouts, I keep doing workouts. I don't know what happens if I stop, but I think it might be not good. :)

I enjoyed following you this challenge. It was fun seeing your handstand progression, and the TV stand is great. Great job this challenge!

Thanks! The handstands were a lot of fun to do, too!

Thanks to the mini-challenge giving us stat points, I've added 3 to STR and 2 to STA, leaving me at STR: 16 | DEX: 12 | STA: 13.75 | CON: 10 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 9. And I got this lovely badge:

bear-hug_zpsc01c5ec5.png

Now I just have to come up with goals for the next challenge! I think I'm keeping the bodyweight workout goal, though with a new focus on pistol squats to go with the pull-ups. I like the handstands, but I may take those out of the actual challenge this time around, but I'm not sure what to replace them with - I'm kind of trying to come up with a swimming goal, since I've already been swimming 3 times a week without having any goals related to it. And then the door is entirely wide open on my lifestyle goal - open a zazzle shop, update my blog regularly, call a friend a week, try to be more social, actually play the Zelda game I got for Christmas - so many options!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Goal 1, 2, 3, 4 = AWESOME WORK!! Wow, what an amazing challenge this round - good for you!!! Had to Google pistol squat - eek! - that looks tough - fantastic work!

Thanks! Pistol squats are definitely tough, but super-cool. I wanna do them!

Whooo Hooo A badge!!

....you have a blog? 

............can we see it?

Um. I suppose? It's actually way behind in terms of updates - I haven't put any of the tv table project on it, even though that's done. Ah, whatever - it's here

Workout today: 

Pushup variety pack:

10 decline push-ups, 4th stair

8 incline ring push-ups

8 twisting push-ups

Ring fun:

10 sec support hold

8 ring-supported leg raises

Circuit:

Band-assisted pull-up (purple band!) 4/4/4

hanging leg raises: 10/10/10

Bodyweight rows (rings) 8/8/8

one-leg stair jumps: 12/12/12

lunges: 10/10/10

pistol leg extensions, 10 sec: 2/2/2

doorway-assisted pistol squats: 4/4/4

hollow hold (sec): 65/60/60

glute bridge, 1-leg: 5/5/5

glute bridge, 2-leg: 6/6/6

Figured out why ring pushups feel so weird - I'm used to the major muscles working for pushups, but on rings, what's getting tired first are all the stabilizers. So my sense of effort is really different on rings than on the ground.

I also seem to be accreting exercises as I improve - instead of just replacing easy things with harder things, I'm adding new and different stuff. Like the one-leg stair jumps  - those aren't replacing anything, just got added randomly. Not sure if that's a good thing, bad thing, or neutral thing. We'll see.

Level 13 Elven Assassin

RINGS.  Soon you will be addicted and think of nothing else.  *insert evil laugh here*

Seriously, I was planning out my workouts for the next six weeks and realized that I was doing nothing but ring and parallette work... :)

Yeah, the rings provide all sorts of new options... I'm not addicted yet, but I'm enjoying some of the variety they've added.

There is a lot of awesomeness on your blog...I will be reading for a while......

Haha, it goes back a ways... It's mainly house stuff, with some extra randomness thrown in. And there's a huge kitchen renovation that's a whole lot of the posts. Have fun!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Don't you hate it when people keep posting on your old thread even though you have a new one going and they keep rambling on and on about things that totally aren't on topic and you're forced to keep up with your OLD thread and your NEW thread at the same time?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines