Lydieboo Challenge #1: Do or Die Winter Challenge

Lydieboo

By mid-winter, snow covered most of the ground; the flat gleam of white crystals was only broken by the wide black rivers of black rock along which the metal beasts hunted during the day.  Any hope of a feast of grain-based grub or sugar-laden mush had long ago diminished with the onset of the frozen season.  For Lydieboo, the only hope was to hunt, and hunt well; to feed and strengthen herself against the inevitable attack by starving bears or, worse, the voracious yeti.  Only through her prowess against her prey of small furry creatures vegetables, and by learning to escape up a snow-laden pine tree or icy rock face, could she survive until the warmth returned to her mountainous homeland...

The Challenge:
Lydieboo the Barbarian has gotten complaisant and chubby during her long lifetime of 33 years, but the winter has made her a prime target for carnivores and size-14 clothing.  To survive in the competitive Rocky Mountain winter, she must lose the extra fat she has gained and learn to effectively escape from predators that will eat her alive (or make her look really awful in a rabbitskin bikini), as well as continue to feed herself and keep up her strength the most efficient way possible.

The Tasks:

1. Sustenance.  I will go Whole30 for the first 30 days of this challenge.  No cheating.  After that time, I will stay Paleo, but will allow a non-paleo treat occasionally (read as: no more than 1 time every 3 days).  A perfect grade will get me +2 CON/+1 WIS; a "B" grade - 1 slip-up or less per week - will get me +1 CON/+0.5 Wis, anything else will result in no points.

2. Shed the Skin.  I will do some form of cardio intervals 2+ times per week.  This can be anything: running fartleks, sprints, stationary bike sprints...um...other things I can't think of.  An average of 3 times a week (with no more allowed than 4 in a one-week period) will get me +2 DEX/+1 CHA, an average of 2 times a week (at least 1 every week, no more than 3 counting in any given week) will get me +1 DEX, anything less than that is no points.

3. Escape!  I will climb and/or do strength training (ie. BBW 3 circuits minimum) 3+ times per week.  There is no leeway on this one, it must be 3 times in a week or it doesn't count.  Achieving this goal gets me +2 STR/+1 STA.  No Partial Credit.

4. LIFE GOAL: Slay the Yeti: Pay total $2,000 combined on Emergency Fund and Sallie Mae over the course of 6 weeks.  +1 WIS.  No partial credit.  (May have to reduce due to inconsistent bonus schedule, but if I can pay $1,781 it will still be a huge win for me.)

Week 1 Update

Strength: 3/3

Intervals: 2/2

Whole30: 99.9%  (Stuck my finger in some honey last night after not eating any fruit for a day and a half.  I'm still counting this as a solid win.  Yes, my pants are looser this morning.)

Yeti: $337.56.  $120.64 pending...need to get to UPS to make a deposit.  10/10 so far.

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Okay, updating even though we're not technically on, yet.  I will probably have to adjust that last goal to be "attainable" just depending on what my December bonus looks like (for which I get paid in February...blech).  But!  I found out that the best middle-eastern restaurant in town will serve a (mostly) Paleo meal, so very excited about that.

Been a total lazy-butt so far about exercising, but I think I'm going to change my goal to at least 2 BBW's per week, because as much as I'm enjoying the climbing, I'm not seeing as big of benefits as I am from BBW.  So 2 BBW/week and at least one more strength, whether it be climbing or BBW or lifting weights (riiiiiiight - but it is already on my list for my #2 challenge).  I actually went to the gym to run and it was overrun with rats - gym rats, that is.  So I hustled out lest I contract rabies.  But I will be going back tomorrow.

Also tomorrow (and challenge-unrelated) I am doing my spring cleaning (a little early) in preparation for knuckling down on Monday.  Woo-woo!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Nice goals. I'm going Primal right now so I'll be interested to see how you feel after 30 days.

How are you going to track your exercise goals? Pen and paper? Spreadsheet? Something else?

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Nice goals. I'm going Primal right now so I'll be interested to see how you feel after 30 days.

How are you going to track your exercise goals? Pen and paper? Spreadsheet? Something else?

I've actually been Paleo for over 30 days now (changed on November 22nd) and I feel great over all!  You will see results even without exercise, but I am wanting to up my exercise to see even better results over the next 6 weeks.  Also, I found not having any dairy products had a huge positive impact on how I felt, just FYI.

I'm tracking exercise through a 'yes or no' process and will just keep it updated on here.  I don't have specific weight or distance goals.  So I basically either do or don't do it.  I will be taking "before" photos on Sunday night and "after" photos on February 18th.  That will show my progress in the 6 weeks of the challenge.

Thanks for the response!

GO GO LYDIE!! :D Rootin' for ya sistah!

Kick'n goals! I loved the intro and back-story too. Very snazzy. ;)

I'll be checking in to see how you're doing! Super excited to see you succeed!! :D

Thanks MW!  It struck me that every great heroine has a back story, and this barbarian should probably let someone know what hers is.  ^_^

Here's the Weekend Update:

1. Sustenance.  Ate well over the weekend, with the exception of drinks and sushi on Saturday night.  (Nope, sushi is not allowed on the Whole30 plan.)  But since we weren't technically starting the challenge until today, I'm all in the clear.  Food packed for today's lunch is completely Whole30-appropriate.  Dinner tonight will be leeks and kale sauteed with - oh, bugger.  I forgot to take the fish out of the freezer... Boo.

2. Shed the Skin. The plan is to run intervals tomorrow, but I will be having to take care of getting my car fixed and addressing a financial issue (see #4) tomorrow afternoon.  Boo.  So chances of intervalling before tomorrow night are very slim.  Went to run last week at the gym and it was overrun with rats.  ... Gym rats.

3. Escape! Climbed a total of once last week.  Did 10 half-hearted wall pushups this morning while I was waiting for eggs to boil.  Planning to do strength training tonight - did I mention I'm adjusting to specify strength training 2x/week and climbing 1+ times?

4. Kill the Yeti. This is already off to a rocky start.  $622 in car repairs won't put me off too much, but the financial issue I have to deal with tomorrow evening may...cross your fingers for me.

There's the status on Day 1.  I did take "before" pictures this morning in my standard uniform.  They will only see daylight depending on the quality of progress made over then next 6 weeks.  Here's a picture of my stupidly tidy (and 100% legit) kitchen, instead:

sml_gallery_11645_41_105305.jpg

Unhealthy Relationships

Funny thing about relationships; it’s tough to recognize when you’re in an unhealthy one.  Oh, sure, you can look at your friend, your coworker, even your parent and see when the relationship they’re in is causing more harm than good.  But start examining your own relationship and objectivity flies out the window as if suctioned from the cabin of a 747.

So when I realized today that the point of Whole30 is not to clean up your diet, but to reexamine your relationship with food, I took a wary peek under the figurative dust ruffle…and shuddered.

What prompted this re-visitation to the Whole30 site is nothing more than a bag of raw snacks.  Raw with a capital “R.† Super Cookies, they’re called, and made of mashed nuts and dates and cacao.  I wasn’t sure if cacao is technically allowed by the Whole30 philosophy, so I looked it up.  The answer is: it doesn’t matter.

That is, whether or not cacao is “allowed†doesn’t matter, because Whole30 isn’t about cleaning out your bowels or scraping the gunk off your intestines.  It’s about reevaluating what food means to you, at an emotional and maybe even spiritual level.  In other words, I’m doing it wrong.

So what’s this about?  A witty entry about how I probably shouldn’t really be sautéing leeks in coconut oil and garlic just because it tastes good (and makes be feel way over-stuffed afterward)?  Nope.  I’m going to attempt a serious look, for posterity, at my relationship with food.

You can stop reading if you want to.

So here’s me before I started Paleo: sugar addict, food addict, alcohol addict…wait, no, not that.  Thank goodness.  But definitely wandering blindly through the world consuming whatever looked tastiest at the time with litt—er—with no thought at all about its effect on my physical, emotional or mental self.

Here’s me after I started Paleo: See Above.  With the exception of a few self-righteous rules.

My attitude about food hasn’t changed much, with the exception that I’m a little more smug when I talk to my coworkers.  I still salt everything (hey, salt is Paleo), and I still eat fruit whenever I crave a sugary snack (hey, fruit is Paleo), and I am eating something called “super cookies†instead of regular cookies (because they're made of Paleo ingredients). 

I snack a lot.  And I mean a lot.  But whether it’s cookies or sugar snap peas, I’m still not living my life intentionally, and isn’t that the real point of being a Rebel?  Not just to sign up so you can wear the uniform, but to question your life until now, to look at where you’ve gotten, how you’ve gotten here, and make the changes you have to make to get where you want to be.

So here’s where I am: O  And here’s where I want to be: I.  (Okay that’s an exaggeration.  Don’t really want to be a stick figure.  But the P would make me look weirdly lopsided.)  I don’t believe that what I eat is the sole culprit.  But I do think that failing to be mindful and intentional about what I’m putting into my body is.

This is the part where I expect to get criticized.

I’m going to make it my goal to cut fruit from my diet for 7 days of this challenge.  As far as I can tell, there is no physical danger to doing this, but I really might legitimately go nuts.  Until now, when I’ve wanted something sweet, I just grabbed a piece of fruit (or handful of berries) and munched away.  I'm going to have to really consider whether I'm eating to stay alive, to stay occupied, or just feeding a craving.

Monks have taken life-long vows of silence, of poverty, of celibacy…I’m pretty sure I’d fail at any of those.  But if I can break my addiction to stuff, which I did, can live without credit cards, which I do, and can run a half-marathon, which I have, then I should be able to eat intentionally and break my sugar addiction.  So I’m upping the ante.  Starting on the 12th, I’m going to go fruit-free.  Just veg, meat, and nuts for me through January 18th.

And yes.  I’m a little nervous. 

I really like the idea of living intentionally.

Have you looked into food obsession as a root cause of your turmoil? In my own life I've had to be careful about making sure I don't go around calling what I'm doing "mindful eating" when it is really just me being obsessive about food.

Good for you for asking yourself the really hard questions, and best of luck on your journey. I'm subscribed so I can watch and learn.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

No criticisms here -- I think what you're addressing is important and, while I don't know how "bad" fruit really is, I do have experience with my own addictive behavior. If that's what you need to explore, go for it. I can really relate to a lot of what you're talking about here. 

Level 1 Mountain Dwarf
Adventurer

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 4

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. 
- e.e. cummings

My first 6-week challenge: A Walking Journey

I think as long as you are exploring this dietary change with good intensions and make sure you are getting enough calories from other food sources I think eliminating fruit for seven days is totally reasonable.  Hopefully it will help you change the way you look at food and push your relationship with it toward a direction that you think is more healthy for you.  Go for it!

Class: Adventurer

Str: 4.5   Dex: 5   Sta: 3.5   Con: 4   Wis: 5   Cha: 3

Ezra's Challenge...The Sequel

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." ~ Kurt Vonnegut from Cat's Cradle

Wow. I'm sure you're going to hear this enough, but I truly can relate to the self-scouring you just described. I understand what you're going through.

You have inspired me so much already on my journey - your thoughtful questions really making me think and your objectivity to my self-proclaimed situations really helped me realize what was going on within my own head and heart. I'm glad to read that it seems you've been able to apply that same gift to your own life and it makes me very happy to see you're not just looking at your inner thoughts and saying "oh, well that's just how I am" but you're willing to better yourself.

Lydie, I'm here for ya. You ever need to talk/bounce ideas off someone, I'm a message away. :)  Stay strong!

I absolutely love your writing style. It makes it so much easier to relate. Not that I would have had a hard time relating to anyone talking about the words "sugar" and "addiction" in the same thought process. This will be one more of many past attempts to break the habit.

I once did a lifestyle change (clearly that didn't stick cause here I am again) where I didn't eat anything but vegetables for the first week and then added eggs, potatoes and sweet potatoes but only before 2pm. Slowly after that I started adding in more food groups. But the results from those two weeks really started a weight loss trend for my body. I wasn't even exercising. In particular I noticed an amazing change just limiting starches in my diet only prior to 2PM. I got the tip from a dietician who said that the starches were back logging the digestion process. So obviously I don't think there is anything wrong with eliminating fruits for a week.

Kudos to your renewed efforts to trully challenge yourself and not just fly through the 6 weeks ahead. Stay strong! If you need to talk just give me a holler!

MoveBy Faith

Nord Adventurer

Level 1

STR: 1        DEX: 2

STA: 7        CON: 3

WIS: 6        CHA: 4

Current Challenge: MoveBy Faith's Challenge Round Two

"She believed she could so she did."

Unhealthy Relationships

I'm going to have to really consider whether I'm eating to stay alive, to stay occupied, or just feeding a craving.

Monks have taken life-long vows of silence, of poverty, of celibacy…I’m pretty sure I’d fail at any of those.  But if I can break my addiction to stuff, which I did, can live without credit cards, which I do, and can run a half-marathon, which I have, then I should be able to eat intentionally and break my sugar addiction.  So I’m upping the ante.  Starting on the 12th, I’m going to go fruit-free.  Just veg, meat, and nuts for me through January 18th.

And yes.  I’m a little nervous. 

You can do it!!!!

Wow. I think you are brave just questioning yourself like this. I've started questioning my workout mental problems but I'm always too scared to even touch on my food issues. I wish you the best of luck and will be following along to see how you do.

Good Luck!

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I think some serious self-reflection and questioning is good for us. I really like your idea of intention and re-evaluating your relationship with food. It also resonates with me, since a lot of what you wrote totally seems to be something I have said or done, and that makes me want to start asking some questions. Keep us updating on how fruit elimination goes for you, and good luck.

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

You can do it!!!!

Wow. I think you are brave just questioning yourself like this. I've started questioning my workout mental problems but I'm always too scared to even touch on my food issues. I wish you the best of luck and will be following along to see how you do.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the boost!  Even yesterday I noticed that probably 3/4 of the roughage I eat in a day consists of fruit and nuts.  I eat veg too, but it's not as convenient (fruit is often self-packaged into bite sized amounts).  So I expect it to take a lot more planning to feed myself enough.  I'll definitely keep you posted!

I think some serious self-reflection and questioning is good for us. I really like your idea of intention and re-evaluating your relationship with food. It also resonates with me, since a lot of what you wrote totally seems to be something I have said or done, and that makes me want to start asking some questions. Keep us updating on how fruit elimination goes for you, and good luck.

Thanks J.  And yeah, I definitely and not going to be able to go fruit-free forever, but I think anything from 3-7 days will really be revealing.  Especially if I just faint while I'm bouldering!  (Just kidding on that.  Hopefully that won't happen.)  I definitely think I eat a lot more fruit because I crave that sweet taste, not because my body really needs the sugar to make it go.  But I could be wrong.  We'll see, I guess.

I did look up to see if I could find anything that indicated that we have to eat fruit, but couldn't find any articles that indicated so...so maybe I'm pioneering new territory.  (But I'm pretty sure inuits lived without fruit for ages, so I'm probably good.)  :D

Update

1. Sustenance: Doing good on the Whole30.  Still pondering the Super Cookies at my desk, but it's not a huge issue.  I'm not going to denote everything I ate every day because it isn't really something I'm struggling with.  Suffice it to say I'm only drinking water (occasionally with some lemon in it), and sticking firmly to the Whole30 shopping list.  Huzzah!

2. Shed the Skin:  Finally got around to running sprints yesterday.  I could only do 3 before I thought I was going to vomit, so I'm counting it as a win anyway (considering I've never done actual sprints in my life...maybe once or twice in elementary school).  I'll work up to 5 sprints.  Planning to go again tomorrow and really, really looking forward to longer days so it doesn't get dark half way through my run!

3. Escape! Phew.  This has been hard for me.  So hard I hadn't even done it before this morning.  So!  This morning I got my butt out of bed and did 3 full circuits of the BBW.  To make sure I get in 3 strength this week, I'm going climbing tonight, and then planning to BBW on Saturday, too.  (I will give myself a break and let myself do one on Sunday, since it will technically still be within the first 7 days, if I need to.)

4. Kill the Yeti: Well, my car repairs were less than I expected them to be, so I got to put $337.56 toward killing my yeti last week.  Just $1662.44 to go!!

Quick update only.  Mostly because I'm really proud of myself.  Yesterday I did BBW in the morning and then climbed in the evening.  I don't want my strength days to usually consist of two items on the same day, but I am proud of myself for making the effort to hit my goals. 

I plan to get my 3/3 strength in tomorrow morning and my 2/2 intervalls in tomorrow afternoon, and then stop procrastinating to the end of the week to get my fitness goals in!  (The good news is I can feel my abs today - and by feel I mean 'Ow!'  But in a good way!)

Whole30 is going perfectly.  I expect to freak out and eat a whole cake any day now.  ^_^;

Woot very proud of you for getting in 2 strength workouts! Awesome job getting in 2 strength workouts in 1 day! I would be proud of myself as well. 

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines